Start by marking “Bad Movies We Love” as Want to Read:
Bad Movies We Love

Bad Movies We Love

If you think Duel in the Sun was a great movie, we ask, have you seen it lately? For those who believe that great stars equal great films, we offer you Fatal Attraction. And for anyone who insights that Hollywood never actually sets out to make an awful film, please rent The Sandpiper immediately. Just when you thought you 'd have to yawn your way through another gushing c ...more
Published August 1st 1993 by Plume (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Movies We Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Movies We Love

Douglas Gibson
Apr 25, 2015 Douglas Gibson rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it, a must read for movie buffs! This book has inspired me to start a Bad Movies Viewing club! My only complaints are that one, I didn't write this book first, and two, the work of Joan Crawford appears here way too many times!
Sarai
Oct 12, 2009 Sarai rated it it was amazing
from Amazon: By tmp "snippy reviewer"
I hate to say it, but I think I have seen every movie in this book, most more than twice. This is a very funny (and helpful for the afficianado) book. The premise is different than the usual book about "bad" movies: no "Plan Nine from Outer Space" et al- that's left to Michael Medved and his ilk. No, these are movies that just are slightly crazed, over the top, or just, well, BAD. Ones that will make you ask "What were they thinking? What were they smoking! "
Jill Hutchinson
Oct 13, 2014 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
We all have that certain film that we really love, knowing it is truly awful but not caring......or a film that we thought we loved until we see it again after several years and it makes us realize that it is a true turkey. That's what this hilarious little book is about......guilty pleasures.

It is divided into chapters with such headings as "All This and Troy Donahue Too" or "Bring on the Bimbos" or "Overacting in Sensurround". You know most of the films here since these are not necessarily obs
Jon
Nov 26, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly this author's favorite non-fiction book of all time. The snarky commentary from these gentlemen concerning the craptastic films discussed within the collection are laugh-out-loud hilarious and SPOT-ON. They know that the movies are dreadfully bad and yet revel in them. They also know that it takes a special kind of film to make the grade, so to speak. In other words, the bigger the budget, the more lunatic the casting and the more direly serious the tone, the more likely the film ...more
Chuck White
Nov 04, 2015 Chuck White rated it liked it
Shelves: film-reviews
This book is a different approach to skewering bad movies. Instead of the usual suspects (Plan 9 from Outer Space, Robot Monster, and other low-budget, Grade Z fare) this book picks on the big budget and/or big star productions that may have looked good on paper (and even that is doubtful), but didn't quite translate to the big screen.

I enjoyed the book, enough, and appreciated the different approach. But, many of the movies were too similar (a lot of "chick flicks"), so it was best to just read
Ed
Aug 20, 2009 Ed rated it liked it
Really fun book about, as the title suggests, bad movies we love. A lot of these movies I had never heard of and they tend to favor the really old ones (Douglas Sirk gets some love). My only quibble is that they could've updated this book several times over. But a fun idea that should be copied more.
David Ward
Dec 20, 2015 David Ward rated it did not like it
Shelves: film, non-fiction
Bad Movies We Love by Edward Margulies and Stephen Rebello (Plume 1993)(791.4375) attempts titillation but instead achieves - well, nothing. The only interesting or relevant review in my opinion is of the 1960 movie "Where the Boys Are." The rest of the movies listed were Low C grade or worse, so I believe them to be irrelevant. My rating: 2/10, finished 9/19/11.
Carol Storm
Oct 15, 2012 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing
One of the best books ever written about bad movies -- though I take strong exception to including MASQUERADE starring Rob Lowe and Meg Tilly. This Dick Wolf production is actually a very romantic movie with complex characters and amazing suspense!
Mark
Oct 02, 2008 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
Some interesting commentary, but quickly devolves into "how gross can these movies be?" with unnecessary detail.
Nancy Loe
Dec 17, 2009 Nancy Loe rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite film books ever. This is a compilation of eponymous columns from the now defunct [i]Movieline[/i] magazine and a goldmine of snark.
patsy
Oct 21, 2007 patsy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: snarkmasters & those that admire them
Before there was Television Without Pity, there was this book!
I laugh out loud every single time I read it. priceless.
Erin Robertson
Erin Robertson rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2009
Cecily
Cecily rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2013
Stewart Tame
Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Mindy Mannix
Mindy Mannix rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2010
Melodie
Melodie rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2010
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Brent Leonesio
Brent Leonesio rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Calle
Calle rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Mizmoose
Mizmoose rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2007
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Andrea Simunovich
Andrea Simunovich rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012