The Devil Wears Tartan

The Devil Wears Tartan

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A man in the shadows

Some say he is dangerous. Others say he is mad. None of them knows the truth about Marshall Ross, the Devil of Ambrose. He shuns proper society, sworn to let no one discover his terrible secret. Including the beautiful woman he has chosen to be his wife.

A fallen woman

Only desperation could bring Davina McLaren to the legendary Edinburgh castle to become...more
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published August 26th 2008 by Avon (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Wears Tartan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Wears Tartan

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

I think it was the cover of this book that called to me. A brawny highlander, shown from the waist up, dressed only his plaid. Delicious. Then I read inside the front cover: a woman felled by scandal and a recluse called the Devil of Ambrose. Now who could resist a Victorian romance like that?

Davina is a fallen woman--shunned by society and doomed to a life of spinsterhood. She really can’t blame anyone but herself. Her father always did say her...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Davina McLaren has been ruined and is now unmarriageable so when an offer came from Marshall Ross, Earl of Lorne (nicknamed the Devil of Ambrose) that he was looking for a bride, Davina’s aunt accepted. Davina was a reluctant bride since she had never met her husband and had heard of stories about him (that he is mad and dangerous). Marshall wants an heir so is not fussed on what is wife will be like.

When they do meet , Marshall is taken by her beauty and Davina by his handsomeness and they are...more
What a clever twist to the typical "I'm a bad guy, but really a good guy waiting for you to save me" theme. I loved it!! You hurt so much for Marshall and his family. Definitely worth reading.
Abi
K
Ofcourse I could not resist reading a book with this title or this cover! Seriously though, I have read many of Ranney's books in the past and liked them. And I am pleased to say, it is still the case! Chuckle if you like, but I throughly enjoyed this story, and the romantic in me loved the ending! I appreciated how the ending was not predictable, but threw in some twists. I especially liked the strength and independence of Davina's character. It is always refreshing to read a story with a stron...more
Kim H
I was very pleased with this book, mostly because Ranney's previous two weren't very good, and I love some of her older stuff. I saw flashes of her former brilliance in this one though. I can't say that it's perfect however. The ending is probably a little contrived, but the love scenes are simply to die for. It has a very gothic feel to it too, which was sort of a nice change of pace from most of the newer historicals out lately, and I loved the romance - VERY steamy & sweet. Overall, I'd g...more
Dalia
i really like karen ranney's work..but what got my attention first was the cover :D ...who could resist a handsome highlander with those eyes !! ..
after i read it, i did love it..i loved the characters especially the her ofcourse :D
it was well written and the plot was..genius (Y)
i totally was gonna have a heartattack wheni thought he would have died at te end :S
i would totally recommend it (y) simple amazing
Johanna
An unusual circumstance of marriage in what I consider to be an untraditional Historical Romance. Inventive and intensely sexual.. A winner in my book!
Karla Brandenburg
Loved it. What more can I say?
Joelle
Megan
Mckenna Brown
This book was a slow read. It took me forever to get into the plot. I'm not sure why...maybe it was the way the author presented the characters. They were pretty predictable and it took forever for something interesting to happen. However, around the center of the book, it started to pick up. By the end of the book, I couldn't put it down. I just wish the whole book had been that way.
Elisha
This book was surprisingly better than I expected. There was the typical lovable and tortured hero but it was the heroine that I really enjoyed. Refreshingly direct without being abrasive, she didn't fit the typical sweet yet passive cookie cutter mold heroine that make up so many romance novels. A fresh and satisfying take on period romance.
Alaina
I picked this up on a whim and found an enjoyable read. For all that it is set in the late 1800s amongst nobility it spends no time in the ballrooms of the era. Instead it centers around two people of unusual interests, but great personalities thrown together for reasons that have little to do with each other. Now to find out if any more of Aunt Theresa's story has been shared with the reading world.
Atunah
Loved this one. The tortured hero, the curious heroine, I loved both of them. Really from the beginning, I could feel that they were meant for each other.
Karen Ranney knows how to write emotional charged scenes, in and out of the bed. That is how you do it.

I read this one in almost one sitting. It just had everything I needed at the time.
Michelle the Romance Witch
3.5 stars. a pretty good read overall though it ran a bit slow for a while but then finally picked up right at the end with a completely unforeseen twist that was very well written i must say. though i was tempted to quit a few times i'm glad i read on and i will be reading more by this author as i have decided i like her style after all.
Gracefulshrimp
It was okay. I didn't really get enough Angst from this book, which is what I am really going for. I also did not really enjoy the Orient/Opium angle, but I think that is a constant in her books because she had an Asian in another book I just finished.

Definitely enjoyable
Julie
I really enjoyed this book! It was a good fast read with a good story and enjoyable romance scenes. The hero wasn't too alpha and the heroine was a fearless,smart, witty female who went after her man and saved the day.
Lady Darcie
Nov 15, 2008 Lady Darcie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: another book
what an interesting book, you just got to love how couragous Davina is when she enters a new world of marriage. How can you not love Marshall even though you want to wring his neck half the time.
Sonia
Awful. Just awful. I think Ranney is a good author but this book was very difficult to read. The romance is lackluster and the mystery has far too many red herrings. Save your money!
Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez
I was interested in this book most of the way through it but it left a lot of mysteries unanswered, some even unacknowledged. For that I cannot give it a super high rating. 3.5 stars.
Lori Kurochkina
This book was overall a good read. I did not like the ending in how it seemed rushed and didn't explain very well what became of certain individuals that were deemed the bad guys.
Gardavson
The mystery was fun and the romance was good. Part of it made me want to slap the two of them tho. Argh!
Lily
good story, a little quick and underdeveloped but for a quick light read, this one is decent =D
Ana
This is actually 3.5 for me. It would have been 4 stars except I did not like a part near the end.
Ashley Schuster
Kind of a lame ending. Too contrived with not enough confession.
Michael
Just bland bland bland. Did not care for it.
Gotobedmouse
This is the best guilty pleasure EVER...
Daisylivres
The character's remind me of a Borrowed Scot....
  • McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • The Daring Twin (Twin, #1)
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Highland Warrior
  • The Scotsman
  • Possessed By The Highlander (The MacLerie, #3)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Greentree Sisters, #1)
  • Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #1)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)
  • Some Like it Kilted (Highlander #4)
  • Highland Fling (Highland, #1)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Not So Innocent
I’m a writer who’s been privileged to have attained the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller Lists. I write romance under Karen Ranney and romantic suspense and mysteries under my pseudonym, Katherine Storm.

I believe in the power of the individual, the magnificence of the human spirit, and always looking for the positive in any situation. I write about people who have been challenged but who wi...more
More about Karen Ranney...
Sold to a Laird (The Tulloch Sgàthán Trilogy, #1) Tapestry One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1) Till Next We Meet The Lass Wore Black