Start by marking “The Devil Wears Tartan” as Want to Read:
The Devil Wears Tartan

The Devil Wears Tartan

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  427 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A man in the shadows

Some say he is dangerous. Others say he is mad. None of them knows the truth about Marshall Ross, the Devil of Ambrose. He shuns proper society, sworn to let no one discover his terrible secret. Including the beautiful woman he has chosen to be his wife.

A fallen woman

Only desperation could bring Davina McLaren to the legendary Edinburgh castle to become
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published August 26th 2008 by Avon (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Wears Tartan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Wears Tartan

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

I think it was the cover of this book that called to me. A brawny highlander, shown from the waist up, dressed only his plaid. Delicious. Then I read inside the front cover: a woman felled by scandal and a recluse called the Devil of Ambrose. Now who could resist a Victorian romance like that?

Davina is a fallen woman--shunned by society and doomed to a life of spinsterhood. She really can’t blame anyone but herself. Her father always did say her
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jan 10, 2011 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
Davina McLaren has been ruined and is now unmarriageable so when an offer came from Marshall Ross, Earl of Lorne (nicknamed the Devil of Ambrose) that he was looking for a bride, Davina’s aunt accepted. Davina was a reluctant bride since she had never met her husband and had heard of stories about him (that he is mad and dangerous). Marshall wants an heir so is not fussed on what is wife will be like.

When they do meet , Marshall is taken by her beauty and Davina by his handsomeness and they are
Dalia
Oct 29, 2012 Dalia rated it it was amazing
i really like karen ranney's work..but what got my attention first was the cover :D ...who could resist a handsome highlander with those eyes !! ..
after i read it, i did love it..i loved the characters especially the her ofcourse :D
it was well written and the plot was..genius (Y)
i totally was gonna have a heartattack wheni thought he would have died at te end :S
i would totally recommend it (y) simple amazing
Jul 14, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
What a clever twist to the typical "I'm a bad guy, but really a good guy waiting for you to save me" theme. I loved it!! You hurt so much for Marshall and his family. Definitely worth reading.
Abi
Aug 08, 2011 Abi rated it really liked it
K
Oct 05, 2008 K rated it really liked it
Ofcourse I could not resist reading a book with this title or this cover! Seriously though, I have read many of Ranney's books in the past and liked them. And I am pleased to say, it is still the case! Chuckle if you like, but I throughly enjoyed this story, and the romantic in me loved the ending! I appreciated how the ending was not predictable, but threw in some twists. I especially liked the strength and independence of Davina's character. It is always refreshing to read a story with a stron ...more
Kim H
May 15, 2009 Kim H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
I was very pleased with this book, mostly because Ranney's previous two weren't very good, and I love some of her older stuff. I saw flashes of her former brilliance in this one though. I can't say that it's perfect however. The ending is probably a little contrived, but the love scenes are simply to die for. It has a very gothic feel to it too, which was sort of a nice change of pace from most of the newer historicals out lately, and I loved the romance - VERY steamy & sweet. Overall, I'd g ...more
Johanna
Dec 10, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it
An unusual circumstance of marriage in what I consider to be an untraditional Historical Romance. Inventive and intensely sexual.. A winner in my book!
Karla Brandenburg
Jan 02, 2012 Karla Brandenburg rated it it was amazing
Loved it. What more can I say?
Lily
Sep 16, 2015 Lily rated it really liked it
If you love a good tortured hero then this book is for you! Marshall is literally and figuratively a tortured man willing to accept that he cannot lead a normal life. Then Davina enters his life and everything changes. I wish I liked Davina more though. I felt as though she says one thing and does another. With that said, I still found this book enthralling and full of suspense. The passion was very hot and steamy. It is a bit on the dark side with descriptions of abuse and hallucinations, so no ...more
Teshai
Dec 03, 2015 Teshai rated it really liked it
Great story, executed well, until the end.

Garrow and Theresa, not believable unfortunately, she had his whole life in her hands with that book and he simple let her go? Yeah she had a gun trained on him, but most would take that bullet then be turned into the Queen for smuggling humans.

I knew from the get go what was making him go crazy, but was shocked at who was giving him the crazy juice. I didn't like the ending to this piece of the story however. It felt rushed a little to me, like Karen
Joelle
Nov 23, 2010 Joelle rated it it was ok
Megan
Mar 08, 2010 Megan rated it it was ok
Lucimar
O começo foi excelente,com diálogos divertidos, mocinha decidida, mocinho carinhoso e considerado que sabia respeitar as pessoas e os sentimentos dela. Não se importou ao descobrir que ela não era mais virgem... Mas, o final não me agradou, pois a autora se estendeu no final, deu um indicativo que seguia uma linha de raciocínio e não continuou por ela e com isso tornou a leitura monótona e cansativa, surpreendente, mas insosso.
Mckenna Brown
Jun 30, 2014 Mckenna Brown rated it liked it
This book was a slow read. It took me forever to get into the plot. I'm not sure why...maybe it was the way the author presented the characters. They were pretty predictable and it took forever for something interesting to happen. However, around the center of the book, it started to pick up. By the end of the book, I couldn't put it down. I just wish the whole book had been that way.
Elisha
Jul 20, 2014 Elisha rated it it was amazing
This book was surprisingly better than I expected. There was the typical lovable and tortured hero but it was the heroine that I really enjoyed. Refreshingly direct without being abrasive, she didn't fit the typical sweet yet passive cookie cutter mold heroine that make up so many romance novels. A fresh and satisfying take on period romance.
Jan
Jan 03, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it
Enjoyable!
Alaina
May 09, 2013 Alaina rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim and found an enjoyable read. For all that it is set in the late 1800s amongst nobility it spends no time in the ballrooms of the era. Instead it centers around two people of unusual interests, but great personalities thrown together for reasons that have little to do with each other. Now to find out if any more of Aunt Theresa's story has been shared with the reading world.
LInda L
Apr 23, 2016 LInda L rated it really liked it
Lovely Scottish mystery/history/romance. Ranney does it all so well. :Fallen" woman weds an Earl, he believes himself to be insane, she falls in love with him, he is being fed opium, he is locked up in a castle for the insane, she gets him out, his wicked uncle is deported to China for human trafficking AND opium sales. Too much more to go into, but it is adorable. IF you like the genre.
Atunah
Loved this one. The tortured hero, the curious heroine, I loved both of them. Really from the beginning, I could feel that they were meant for each other.
Karen Ranney knows how to write emotional charged scenes, in and out of the bed. That is how you do it.

I read this one in almost one sitting. It just had everything I needed at the time.
Michelle the Romance Witch
3.5 stars. a pretty good read overall though it ran a bit slow for a while but then finally picked up right at the end with a completely unforeseen twist that was very well written i must say. though i was tempted to quit a few times i'm glad i read on and i will be reading more by this author as i have decided i like her style after all.
Gracefulshrimp
It was okay. I didn't really get enough Angst from this book, which is what I am really going for. I also did not really enjoy the Orient/Opium angle, but I think that is a constant in her books because she had an Asian in another book I just finished.

Definitely enjoyable
Julie
Sep 09, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was a good fast read with a good story and enjoyable romance scenes. The hero wasn't too alpha and the heroine was a fearless,smart, witty female who went after her man and saved the day.
Lady Darcie Guenon
Nov 15, 2008 Lady Darcie Guenon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: another book
what an interesting book, you just got to love how couragous Davina is when she enters a new world of marriage. How can you not love Marshall even though you want to wring his neck half the time.
Sonia
Sep 02, 2012 Sonia rated it did not like it
Awful. Just awful. I think Ranney is a good author but this book was very difficult to read. The romance is lackluster and the mystery has far too many red herrings. Save your money!
Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez
Aug 21, 2012 Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez rated it really liked it
I was interested in this book most of the way through it but it left a lot of mysteries unanswered, some even unacknowledged. For that I cannot give it a super high rating. 3.5 stars.
Lorka
Nov 27, 2013 Lorka rated it really liked it
This book was overall a good read. I did not like the ending in how it seemed rushed and didn't explain very well what became of certain individuals that were deemed the bad guys.
Nelly
Sep 27, 2015 Nelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I really liked it!
A very interesting book with storyline and dialogues well done that's holding the reader's attention from beginning until the end!
I recommend!
Gardavson
Jan 15, 2010 Gardavson rated it really liked it
The mystery was fun and the romance was good. Part of it made me want to slap the two of them tho. Argh!
  • Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)
  • Highlander in Love (Lockhart Family, #3)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • The Scotsman
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Some Like it Kilted (Highlander #4)
  • The Devil Wears Plaid
  • The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #2)
  • Not So Innocent
I’m a writer who’s been privileged to have attained the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller Lists.

Although I've primarily written historical romance, I've also written contemporary romantic suspense, a murder mystery, and I'm having a wonderful time writing about a vampire who is being challenged by her new state of being. (The Montgomery Chronicles: The Fertile Vampire and The Reluctant Godd
More about Karen Ranney...

“[...] cuando un hombre escoge una acción, también escoge el resultado.” 0 likes