Start by marking “We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Travel, adventure, women's interest! True adventures, challenging journeys, and life affirming trips. Three dozen women, in the prime of their lives, take you backpacking in the Sierra Nevada, the Rockies, the Appalachians and more. This compelling collage of stories and advice combines honesty, insight and humor with practical wisdom and proven tips to inspire women and m ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Shepherd Canyon Books

To ask other readers questions about We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill

Sue
Excellent accounts of older women who remain active, enjoying backpacking & hiking. I enjoyed reading their different approaches to camping, hiking, backpacking as well as their philosophies. I envy the woman who hikes with llamas therefore lessening her burden, allowing more hiking miles with more amenities!! Although the book didn't touch on "how to" suggestions it was a very good read.
Liz
I have been on a Sierra reading adventure. I went to see Susan speak at the Mountain Springs Golf Course when she was brought to Tuolumne County by Omega Nu. Being a member of my own women's backpacking group, WWW, I needed to hear others' stories.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kim Naylor
Kim Naylor marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Layne
Layne marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2012
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2013
Lynn Bailey
Lynn Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
Jackie
Jackie added it
Jun 11, 2012
Aprilcross45
Aprilcross45 marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2011
Deb Weina
Deb Weina marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2011
Maggie Wolfe Riley
Maggie Wolfe Riley marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2010
I'm a hiker, backpacker, traveler, author, and publisher. After I started backpacking, I decided to find out about other women who backpacked. That led to "We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers," which supports women exploring the rewards and challenges of the wilderness.

After hiking across Spain on the Camino de Santiago (2001), I decided to lear
More about Susan Alcorn...
Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine