A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1)

A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  782 ratings  ·  46 reviews
She never expected it would come to this.

Desperation and an empty stomach forced Fiona Lachlan to agree to a plan that ended up luring the wickedly notorious Duke of Holburn into trouble. Everything went terribly wrong, and now she has found herself posing as his ward. And while she swore nothing could make her desire a scoundrel, even if he was a duke, she is now drawing...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Avon (first published January 1st 2008)

A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa KleypasChristmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa KleypasBy Proxy by Katy RegneryA Virgin River Christmas by Robyn CarrThe Christmas Wish by Katy Regnery
Best Seasonal Romance {Christmas, Winter}
85th out of 482 books — 609 voters
The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
175th out of 329 books — 480 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Nov08

Free will or fate? The arguments regarding which of these guides our lives and loves have likely existed since man (and certainly women) began to speak. Cathy Maxwell’s latest historical romance “A Seduction at Christmas” is the story of a young man who, through a terrible loss, undergoes an eerie experience and receives a cryptic prophecy from an old crone at the Oracle of Delphi. He then seeks to escape what he believes is his fate, but his act...more
Eastofoz
1.5 stars for this tedious and annoying read. What a bad book, a complete waste of money and the time it took to get through it.

This so-called historical is written more in a contemporary language style than in a historical one. You’d think that the author would have done some research into the language of the time before writing. It’s extremely repetitious and in need of some good editing especially when French is used. The characters are superficial and the story doesn’t flow. Every stereotyp...more
ExLibris_Kate
A Seduction at Christmas was a bargain ebook buy for me and I ended up really loving it! Set in Regency England, we have a Duke with a bad reputation and a young woman of good breeding that has fallen on hard times. The relationship between Holburn and Fiona definitely had sparks, but it was also very sweet. Both main characters had their pasts to contend with and within the common construct of a Regency Romance, I found an emotional story that really drew me in. I definitely recommend this one...more
Red
Yea! There were many characters in this book, many locations, and interesting dialog. The writing was spritely and fun.
BookMaven
Scores in Every Arena

Fiona Lachllan, out of desperation, agreed to put a potion in Lord Belkin's drink at a predetermined location. But when Fiona arrived at the appointed destination, she was met by Dominic Lynsted, Duke of Holburn, the man she had dreamed of for a whole year. His face was the one that gave her hope as she found herself on her own after her parents' death. She cherished the memory of seeing Dominic at a ball. But he did not remember her. Dominic had come to meet a Spanish Ex-Pa...more
Kyraryker
I am really looking forward to reading Fiona's story and seeing how she and Nick come together. I just hope Maxwell does Fiona justice.
Not sure at the moment what to think of Fiona's plan to ransom Nick but the part where she gags him with his necktie and then he is said to shake the bed with his effort to break free from the ropes she tied him to the bed with was hilarious.
The main storyline of Nick looking for his missing signet ring and the question of who is trying to kill him wasn't that in...more
Jessi
Fiona Lachlan grew up in the Good Society of Scotland. But reversals in her family standing caused her to move to London and seek her fortune. She's trying to stay off the streets, and is encouraging her friend Grace to do the same, but she's getting pretty desperate. Her last job ended and she doesn't have anything to eat and is in danger of being thrown out of her apartment.
Enter the Duke of Holburn, Dominic (Nick) Lynsted. Well, sort of. Fiona agrees to help poison (not to death, just a stoma...more
Sandy M
Yeah, I know Christmas is said and done, but this book just came in the mail and something pulled me toward it, made me open it up and start reading. I finished it in less than 24 hours. This is a fun, light-hearted read cut with a swath of danger and has very engaging characters. It’s my first book by Ms. Maxwell, and after the joy I received from this one, I’m looking forward to reading more in the future.

I really enjoyed both leading characters. Fiona is a Scottish woman on her own in London,...more
Jane Stewart
Nice, sweet romantic story.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
At first I was annoyed when Fiona did a couple of stupid things, up through page 65. The next 100 pages had some very funny moments. I was laughing out loud. There was some silliness, funniness and cleverness. After that, the story proceeded like a nice, typical, formula romance novel, almost too predictable but ok. Some bad guys are trying to kill Dominic.

STORY BRIEF:
Dominic is a wealthy Duke. Andres, a new drinking buddy steals his family ring and...more
Mornie
I liked this story, it's was a original. Fiona is a heroine that people can relate with, she is low on money, just lost her job and needs a way to make her rent. She fills in for her neighbor on a job and her life changes forever. The Duke of Holburn is a hero that is easy to like and personable. He has family issues and is overall likable. The only problem with the story is that she didn't become his "ward" until the middle of the book. I kept wondering what was going on because the back of the...more
Dancer
She never expected it would come to this

Desperation and an empty stomach forced Fiona Lachlan to agree to a plan that ended up luring the wickedly notorious Duke of Holburn into trouble. Everything went terribly wrong, and now she has found herself posing as his ward! And while she swore nothing could make her desire a scoundrel, even if he was a duke, she is now drawing ever closer to the one man she cannot have . . .

"Beware of innocence!"

The Duke of Holburn had spent years heeding this warning...more
Minna
Not good. This book was absolutely stuffed to the gills with romance novel cliches. The villains: obvious and flat. The mystery: superficial. The heroine: too good to be true. The hero: complete pushover. Dialogue: eye-roll inducing. Christmas bits: seemingly thrown in as an attempt to engage emotions. Historic accuracy: say what?

And I have to add a minirant... So the heroine has this wolfhound, Tad. He seems to have been added for extra interest as he only surfaces a few times in the story. Ea...more
Cherise
Fiona Lachlan is a character that has intrigued me since the previous book. The events that shape her life and the way she overcomes what’s been done to her were admirable to say the least. I couldn’t wait to see what Ms. Maxwell had in store for her.

Nick (the Duke) has his own past to deal with. Where Fiona was an unwilling pawn and victim in her past, Nick’s past has been mostly because of his own doing. The two make an unlikely but fun duo and it doesn’t take them long to figure out or acknow...more
Christa
I found this book to be a bit disappointing. It was quick to read, but the story never really grabbed me. I enjoyed the relationship between the hero and heroine, and that is what made it a three star book for me. Based on only the writing style and the plot, I would have given it two stars. If this were my first book by Cathy Maxwell, I would be reluctant to read more by her, but since I have enjoyed some of her other books, I am certain to give her another try.

When Fiona Lachlan agrees to go o...more
Michelle
After a wild night of debauchery, Nick (Duke of Holburn) has lost a most precious heirloom and is visited by the Oracle of Delphi where he receives the prophecy, "Beware of Innocence". Years later, Nick is still in search of his father's ring and by chance or destiny meets Fiona at an inn where he was to meet the man that stole his ring. Sparks fly between the two but that is short lived as a group of men is after them. In order to keep Fiona safe, Nick takes her home as his ward and tries to so...more
Lady Darcie
Mar 13, 2011 Lady Darcie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: Cameron sisters #4
Fiona Lachlan was first introduced in The Highlander's Bed, as the sister of Gordan Lachlan. She was a defeated, quiet, angery person over how her life came to an end after her rape but now on her own Fiona has to learn that everything can be a worse situation than the one she had. For when she goes on a mission for a mistress of a man who jilted her, Fiona finds that her world will forever be changed and it maybe for the better.
Domonic Lynsted the Duke of Holborn, Nick as most know him by has h...more
Marie
Sep 05, 2010 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marie by: Miranda
She never expected it would come to this

"Beware of innocence!"

The Duke of Holburn had spent years heeding this warning, a...more
Lise
Nov 30, 2008 Lise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical & Regency Romance Readers
TeresaFL
Sometimes you need a little fluff with a tad bit of mystery at Christmas to overcome the hectic nature of the season. That's what this book delivers.

Years before the Duke of Holburn found a friend and lost that friend as well as his signet ring plus had a vision of the Oracle of Delphi while on his Grand Tour. After years of searching for the thief he instead finds the Oracle in the guise of Fiona Lachlan. Fiona knows a thing or two about loss. She lost her father and mother and something just a...more
Michelle
I enjoyed this book - I often enjoy Cathy Maxwell's books, but after I was done I couldn't help but feel there were a couple unresolved plot points (maybe I missed them). I am also naturally suspicious of people "destined" to be together in the way the hero and heroine felt in this story. I can't imagine a woman would willingly stay in squalor for a year just because she met a guy at a party whom she didn't speak to, knowing he was in town. While I recognize all romance is somewhat fantastical,...more
J.D. Stroube
I had heard some really great things about this author...

Throughout the entire first part of the book I was BORED! The plot was a good start, but the book moves at a snails pace.

I found myself becoming annoyed with the characters. The Duke of Holburn had potential, but I do not feel that the author fullfilled that potential. I also felt that parts of the book were a bit ridiculous.

The second half of the book was decent. I still did not feel that the book lived up to its true potential, but tha...more
Jacqueline
Mar 21, 2011 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Pages survived: 302

Here's the sad part; I loved the characters! Fiona and Nick were fascinating people with interesting pasts and well rounded personalities. But their love story? Kind of boring. And seemingly rushed, or pushed to the background. It's a simple explanation for not finishing the story, but after their love scene I knew where the book was headed and it wasn't the interesting. I liked Fiona and Nick well enough, but I just didn't like the telling of their romance. So sadly, A Seduct...more
Cyndee
I was able to recieve the last book in this series from Avon books so as bad as I just wanted to skip ahead and read the copy that I was sent I started at the begining.
This was a fun novel about a Scottish lady who lost everything at the time of the rebelion and her ability to find a Duke just as lost. I can see other characters develop in this story and it will be fun to see where this series will go. Thank you Avon books for giving me an opportunity to read a new (to me)Author.
Nicole
'A Seduction at Christmas' is an enjoyable tale of two people, clearly suited to each other, who meet under rather unusual circumstances. This wasn't a particularly complex book with the plot fairly easy to follow, some interesting changes of scenery as the story moves from Delphi to London to Kent, and some appealing characters. The storyline moves quickly and is added to by a touch of historical details.
Meaghan
fun romantic read
I like how Fiona has grown from when we first met her during In the Highlander's Bed. While a charming story, I coudln't get over the image of the Duke of Holbern as a drunken boor from the previous book.
Julia
Good, good, up to par with her usual writing. What was good about this book was that the two main characters didn't create problems between themselves, they always knew they loved eachother. The problems came from outside of their relationship. A little different than the usual Cathy Maxwell book which I appreciated.
Gerry
This was a tediously irritating book. I didn't like the writing, the characters, or the plot. The only reason why I even finished this was because I'd forced myself to give it a chance. It was a complete waste of my time.
Jen
Feb 23, 2012 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
Did not care for this one. Could not really get engaged by the characters who seemed too broadly drawn and then there's some weird quasi-paranormal aspects. I don't know, just odd, especially considering this author's other work.
Gizzie
I would rate the book at 3.5. It held my intrest through out the book. It had several twists and action. It only fell short on the spark between Max and Fee. There were a few good belly laughs that came unexpectedly.
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family, #3)
  • The Christmas Knight
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)
  • Christmas Revels
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
  • A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • A Highlander for Christmas
  • To Bed a Beauty (Courtship Wars #2)
  • Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3)
  • Never Trust a Scoundrel (Sons of Scandal, #1)
  • A Duke of Her Own (Rogues and Roses, #1)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • For Your Arms Only (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love #2)
  • His Mistletoe Bride
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...
Four Dukes and a Devil In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3) Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5) The Earl Claims His Wife (Scandals and Seductions, #2)