Start by marking “Obi, Gerbil on the Loose” as Want to Read:
Obi, Gerbil on the Loose

Obi, Gerbil on the Loose

Obi the Gerbil is home alone! Obi?s owner is on vacation, and the neighbor feeding the pets has forgotten all about the gerbil tucked away in her cage. Obi loves her cozy home, but without food and water she must escape to survive. So, taking on the courage of her namesake (Star Wars Jedi knight Obi-Wan), she breaks out and meets her fellow pets?cats up to no good, a mania ...more
Published June 12th 2008 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

Samuel Valentino
Feb 28, 2014 Samuel Valentino rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
A fun book - my 8-year-old liked it. For him, the most memorable scene was the snake and the tarantula arguing! I thought it started a little slow, but picked up speed as it went along, and the animal characters were well done.
Lika
Jan 12, 2012 Lika rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvie
The protagonist is a girl gerbil named Obi-Wan Kenobi. How awesome is that. Even though her namesake is the only Star Wars reference in the entire 197 page novel, Delaney keeps the reader smiling throughout Obi’s journey.

Every character has a unique personality which adds to the humor in the book. There is a gray squirrel who has had one too many nuts, a corn snake who thinks he’s a boa constrictor, and a tarantula that hates being called a mere spider . . . just to name a few.

Amid the adventure
Sara ♥
This book was cute, but definitely juvenile fiction. I still want to know what the life-expectancy of a gerbil is. They can't live THAT long... But whatever. I can suspend belief that much. I've got an imagination!

So this book is about a gerbil named Obi-Wan Kenobi (Obi for short)... She's a girl gerbil, but her owner, Rachel, doesn't know that, so she refers to Obi with masculine pronouns, which is quite funny, because all the other animals in the house (dad's dog and bird, mom's 3 cats, broth
Bea
Nov 13, 2014 Bea rated it liked it
Obi Gerbil on the loose is a cute story about how a gerbil (obi) find her way around while her owner is on a trip. the book was written simply, with easy words. One weakness is that this book is pretty boring and not much to it. But, it has some nice detail about what the scenes are like. This book isn't in a series but even if it was i wouldn’t have read the sequel. Maybe if i was younger I would. As I said before this book is boring for me so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.
Jane
Jun 15, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel like Obi was really going to die of hunger. Of course, I knew in my head that since he was the main character, he wasn't going to die, but the way that the book was written, I was really sad.
This book is about a gerbil who breaks free from his cage. His name is Obi. When his owner's family goes on vacation, a friend comes and feeds all the pets. The friend forgets to feed Obi and poor Obi is left alone hungry.
Obi finds a note under the refridgerator that says that Obinee
Christine Rains
Sep 26, 2015 Christine Rains rated it really liked it
Cute children's novel about a smart gerbil named Obi and how she survives being forgotten when her family goes on vacation. This is the first novel we've read with our five and a half year old son, and he loves it.
June
Feb 13, 2016 June rated it liked it
Shelves: pets
Obi the gerbil was cute although there were just too many themes
in this story.
Sandy
May 30, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. After all, it is a story about a gerbil named after Obi-Wan Kenobi - what's not to love? But it fell short of my expectations. The story was slow to start, and I didn't think that it took nearly enough advantage of the cast of characters. After all, in a house filled with 10 pets, you'd think that there could be some interesting interactions between them once Obi gets out of his cage. But it's really just mostly Obi and the cats (and mostly one cat at that).

A f
Erica Rubino
Jun 11, 2016 Erica Rubino rated it it was ok
I dont know how to read it
Makayla Peterson
Dec 12, 2010 Makayla Peterson rated it it was amazing
This book is about a gerbil that got a boys name, by accident, and her family, the Armstrongs, went on a vacation. Obi thinks her adopted mother, Rachel, forgot to tell Tad, a person looking after the pets,to feed the tiny gerbil. The cats are always waiting far the opportunity to catch poor little Obi. After one week, Obi escapes and discovers an old mouse, watching her all her life. The kind Mr. Durkens, fed her and showed her a secret pass way. later in the story, Obi finds out....READ THE BO ...more
Marguarite Markley
Jul 22, 2009 Marguarite Markley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal lovers, children ages 8 and up
This is a very cute story about a Gerbil named Obi, after Obi Wan Kenobi, who is left at home when her owner goes on vacation. Mistakenly, the boy hired to care for the family pets doesn't feed Obi and she escapes from her cage. During her journeys through the house she encounters the family cats, dog, parrot, snake, and tarantula. The ending leaves the story open for a sequel. Give this to fans of Stuart Little and other "talking animal" books. Obi, Gerbil on the Loose is a very quick and easy ...more
Hillvan
740L
Rena Sherwood
There are just not enough gerbil protagonists in literature. Sadly, this book is not about to cause any rush for gerbil stories. Although this is a cute story with some funny bits, it's been done before and done much better in Michael Bond's storytelling guinea pig Olga da Polga series. Also, the gerbil care information given is WRONG. Anyone keeping a gerbil in the conditions Obi was kept will soon have a dead gerbil.
Carrie
Nov 19, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A cute story of a gerbil named Obi (after the famous Jedi Knight Obi Wan Kenobi) who is left alone when her human family goes on vacation. Although someone comes in to feed the animals it appears that Obi's feeding instructions were left off the sheet.

Obi is now desperate to be fed as the days wear on so she decides her only choice is to escape her cage and seek help from the other animals of the house.
Virginia Campbell
Dec 05, 2010 Virginia Campbell rated it it was amazing
I am a pet lover and definitely related to this book. A little Gerbil, named Obi, has been left at home while the family went on vacation. But Obi is not getting fed by the boy that is feeding the other family pets. So Obi must escape to find food. What an adventure Obi goes on! And while on that adventure learns some lessons and is able to help an old bitter mouse. Read about Obi and her adventure!
Michelle
Feb 06, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
A story young readers are sure to love! Obi, is such a lovable character. She is forces to be resourceful, creatice and brave when her family leaves for vacation and she has to set out to find her own food. Battling the families other pets, proves to be a challenge along with the rat who lives in the attic and the daunting squirrel just outside the window. Obi, lives up to her name... Obi Wan Kenobi!
Lilia
Feb 16, 2014 Lilia rated it liked it
I love hamsters.
Regina
Aug 02, 2010 Regina rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-literature
This was a fun story any animal lover will appreciate. Poor Obi is forgotten while her family is on vacation, so she must find a way to survive on her own until they return. It has a great message about being true to yourself and not just going with the crowd. Themes of love and allegiance are woven into the story as well. Plus, there's a squirrel for comic relief!
Robert 11
Apr 24, 2012 Robert 11 rated it really liked it
This is the cutest book about a gerbil on the edge trying to find food to survive. In this book Obi meets a lot of...err..umm... lets just say interesting characters such as a crazy squirrel and a spanish spider. You will love this book and if you do not read it you are missin out on a lot.
Tracie
Dec 29, 2008 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: elem
A great little story about a gerbil who has to learn to help himself while his owner goes on vacation. A solid, light read with some deep themes that can be addressed or not depending on your mood. Going on the recommend list and I'm even looking forward to the sequel that is hinted at.
Jo
Oct 19, 2010 Jo rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-the-kids
I told Hannah I would read all the Sequoyah books with her this year. We started with this one because she thought it would be the most fun. It is like mind-candy compared to every other children's book that I have read. No wonder she loves it!
Vicki
Jun 03, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter
a house full of pets is left in the care of a neighbor boy while the Armstrong family is on vacation. All the pets get fed except - OBI! This gerbil lives up to her name Obi-Wan Kenobi with an adventureous spirit and bravery.
mizz. crazy
Mar 07, 2009 mizz. crazy rated it it was amazing
one of the best books i've ever read. an amazing heartfelt story of a little girl that forgets to take care of her gerbil when she goes away on a family vacation. i would recomend it to anyone that loves animals!
Janet
Dec 07, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
I have three gerbils, which is the only reason I read this book. Aside from a few minor gerbil-keeping inaccuracies (at least, inaccurate to what I learned), this was a cute, clever book with a good message.
Suzie Schmidt
Mar 13, 2014 Suzie Schmidt rated it really liked it
Great classroom read-a-loud.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing
its about Obi's adopted mother is going on a big trip and Tad Craig's friend is feeding them.so when their gone Tad is not feeding Obi so Obi has to escape to survive.
Jaedee1208
it was good because the author gave deails and made me want to turn my page mor and mora and it was a really easy book 197 pages not bad for a good book
Stacey
Joan says each chapter is episodic, so it can be read aloud in parts with probably just a few clues to who Obi is and how she got to her adventure.
Heather S
Sequoyah nominee: 2010-2011 (Children's)
Reading Counts Reading Level: 4.5
Lexile: 740
School Library Journal Age Recommendation: Grades 3-5
Audrey
Oct 26, 2010 Audrey rated it it was amazing
this book was beyond the very book i have read in a long time i just loved obi that gerbil is sooooooooooooo cute
  • Mogo, the Third Warthog
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • The Earth Dragon Awakes: The San Francisco Earthquake of 1906
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • Strange Happenings: Five Tales of Transformation
  • The True Gift: A Christmas Story
  • Mercy on These Teenage Chimps
  • The Curse of the Pharaoh (Agatha, Girl of Mystery #1)
  • Rissa Bartholomew's Declaration Of Independence