Obi, Gerbil on the Loose

Obi, Gerbil on the Loose

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Obi the Gerbil is home alone! Obi?s owner is on vacation, and the neighbor feeding the pets has forgotten all about the gerbil tucked away in her cage. Obi loves her cozy home, but without food and water she must escape to survive. So, taking on the courage of her namesake (Star Wars Jedi knight Obi-Wan), she breaks out and meets her fellow pets?cats up to no good, a mania...more
Published June 12th 2008 by Dutton Juvenile

Lika
Jan 12, 2012 Lika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: juvie
The protagonist is a girl gerbil named Obi-Wan Kenobi. How awesome is that. Even though her namesake is the only Star Wars reference in the entire 197 page novel, Delaney keeps the reader smiling throughout Obi’s journey.

Every character has a unique personality which adds to the humor in the book. There is a gray squirrel who has had one too many nuts, a corn snake who thinks he’s a boa constrictor, and a tarantula that hates being called a mere spider . . . just to name a few.

Amid the adventure...more
Sara ♥
This book was cute, but definitely juvenile fiction. I still want to know what the life-expectancy of a gerbil is. They can't live THAT long... But whatever. I can suspend belief that much. I've got an imagination!

So this book is about a gerbil named Obi-Wan Kenobi (Obi for short)... She's a girl gerbil, but her owner, Rachel, doesn't know that, so she refers to Obi with masculine pronouns, which is quite funny, because all the other animals in the house (dad's dog and bird, mom's 3 cats, broth...more
Samuel Valentino
A fun book - my 8-year-old liked it. For him, the most memorable scene was the snake and the tarantula arguing! I thought it started a little slow, but picked up speed as it went along, and the animal characters were well done.
Jane
This book made me feel like Obi was really going to die of hunger. Of course, I knew in my head that since he was the main character, he wasn't going to die, but the way that the book was written, I was really sad.
This book is about a gerbil who breaks free from his cage. His name is Obi. When his owner's family goes on vacation, a friend comes and feeds all the pets. The friend forgets to feed Obi and poor Obi is left alone hungry.
Obi finds a note under the refridgerator that says that Obinee...more
Sandy
I really wanted to like this book. After all, it is a story about a gerbil named after Obi-Wan Kenobi - what's not to love? But it fell short of my expectations. The story was slow to start, and I didn't think that it took nearly enough advantage of the cast of characters. After all, in a house filled with 10 pets, you'd think that there could be some interesting interactions between them once Obi gets out of his cage. But it's really just mostly Obi and the cats (and mostly one cat at that).

A f...more
Makayla Peterson
This book is about a gerbil that got a boys name, by accident, and her family, the Armstrongs, went on a vacation. Obi thinks her adopted mother, Rachel, forgot to tell Tad, a person looking after the pets,to feed the tiny gerbil. The cats are always waiting far the opportunity to catch poor little Obi. After one week, Obi escapes and discovers an old mouse, watching her all her life. The kind Mr. Durkens, fed her and showed her a secret pass way. later in the story, Obi finds out....READ THE BO...more
Marguarite Markley
Jul 22, 2009 Marguarite Markley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal lovers, children ages 8 and up
This is a very cute story about a Gerbil named Obi, after Obi Wan Kenobi, who is left at home when her owner goes on vacation. Mistakenly, the boy hired to care for the family pets doesn't feed Obi and she escapes from her cage. During her journeys through the house she encounters the family cats, dog, parrot, snake, and tarantula. The ending leaves the story open for a sequel. Give this to fans of Stuart Little and other "talking animal" books. Obi, Gerbil on the Loose is a very quick and easy...more
Carrie
A cute story of a gerbil named Obi (after the famous Jedi Knight Obi Wan Kenobi) who is left alone when her human family goes on vacation. Although someone comes in to feed the animals it appears that Obi's feeding instructions were left off the sheet.

Obi is now desperate to be fed as the days wear on so she decides her only choice is to escape her cage and seek help from the other animals of the house.
Virginia Campbell
I am a pet lover and definitely related to this book. A little Gerbil, named Obi, has been left at home while the family went on vacation. But Obi is not getting fed by the boy that is feeding the other family pets. So Obi must escape to find food. What an adventure Obi goes on! And while on that adventure learns some lessons and is able to help an old bitter mouse. Read about Obi and her adventure!
Michelle
A story young readers are sure to love! Obi, is such a lovable character. She is forces to be resourceful, creatice and brave when her family leaves for vacation and she has to set out to find her own food. Battling the families other pets, proves to be a challenge along with the rat who lives in the attic and the daunting squirrel just outside the window. Obi, lives up to her name... Obi Wan Kenobi!
Lilia
I love hamsters.
Regina
This was a fun story any animal lover will appreciate. Poor Obi is forgotten while her family is on vacation, so she must find a way to survive on her own until they return. It has a great message about being true to yourself and not just going with the crowd. Themes of love and allegiance are woven into the story as well. Plus, there's a squirrel for comic relief!
Robert 11
This is the cutest book about a gerbil on the edge trying to find food to survive. In this book Obi meets a lot of...err..umm... lets just say interesting characters such as a crazy squirrel and a spanish spider. You will love this book and if you do not read it you are missin out on a lot.
Tracie
Dec 29, 2008 Tracie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: elem
A great little story about a gerbil who has to learn to help himself while his owner goes on vacation. A solid, light read with some deep themes that can be addressed or not depending on your mood. Going on the recommend list and I'm even looking forward to the sequel that is hinted at.
Jo
I told Hannah I would read all the Sequoyah books with her this year. We started with this one because she thought it would be the most fun. It is like mind-candy compared to every other children's book that I have read. No wonder she loves it!
Vicki
a house full of pets is left in the care of a neighbor boy while the Armstrong family is on vacation. All the pets get fed except - OBI! This gerbil lives up to her name Obi-Wan Kenobi with an adventureous spirit and bravery.
mizz. crazy
one of the best books i've ever read. an amazing heartfelt story of a little girl that forgets to take care of her gerbil when she goes away on a family vacation. i would recomend it to anyone that loves animals!
Janet
I have three gerbils, which is the only reason I read this book. Aside from a few minor gerbil-keeping inaccuracies (at least, inaccurate to what I learned), this was a cute, clever book with a good message.
Suzie Schmidt
Great classroom read-a-loud.
Sydney
its about Obi's adopted mother is going on a big trip and Tad Craig's friend is feeding them.so when their gone Tad is not feeding Obi so Obi has to escape to survive.
Jaedee1208
it was good because the author gave deails and made me want to turn my page mor and mora and it was a really easy book 197 pages not bad for a good book
Stacey
Joan says each chapter is episodic, so it can be read aloud in parts with probably just a few clues to who Obi is and how she got to her adventure.
Heather S
Sequoyah nominee: 2010-2011 (Children's)
Reading Counts Reading Level: 4.5
Lexile: 740
School Library Journal Age Recommendation: Grades 3-5
Audrey
this book was beyond the very book i have read in a long time i just loved obi that gerbil is sooooooooooooo cute
Julia
Dec 10, 2010 Julia added it
My daughter is reading this Sunshine State book, so I'm reading it also so I can quiz her on it.
Emily Clendenin
Tips book is a really good book to little kids that read a lot very very fun book!!
John
cat's hait gerbils & gerbils hait cat's. >0_0> >0_0< <0_0< kirbe dance
Cindy Lofgren
My boys (ages 9 and 6 at the time) loved this book.
David
easy to read. an adventurous tale. Good for girls and boys.
Jess
CUUUUUUUTTTTTEEEESSSSSSTTTT BOOK WITH A Hamster
The Great Sock-a-Thon Birdbrain Amos Obi: Gerbil on a Mission Obi: Gerbil on a School Trip Birdbrain Amos, Mr. Fun