Nowhere to Hide

Nowhere to Hide

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Ellen Harris, a glamorous singer with a major contract, is haunted by nightmares of childhood abuse and the brutal murder of a loved one. Just as life is turning around for her, she must face the terrors of her past -- and a new terror, even more vivid, in the form of a murderer who will stop at nothing. Ellen has no choice -- she is alone, and she must pursue the murderer...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Wings ePress (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere to Hide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere to Hide

Margaret
As Christmas approaches, Ellen Harris looks forward to seeing her sister for the holidays. Gail is the only family that Ellen has left, and she couldn’t be prouder of her sister, who perches on the edge of music stardom. Unfortunately, sudden tragedy strikes when Gail is brutally murdered in her apartment after a performance.

At first, Ellen falls to pieces and plunges into deep depression—but then anger sets in. Determined to find her sister’s killer, she heads to New York and begins to question...more
Val Pearson
As I sit here and write this review, all I can say is WOW! This is one heck of an exciting, edge of your seat read! Nowhere to Hide had EVERYTHING you could want in a suspenseful thriller. The character development in this book is unreal. Each character complemented the other perfectly and the plot line was exquisitely written. I was actually holding my breath long before the ending. My mind kept trying to figure out which direction the plot might go. Ms. Hovey has done an incredible job of gett...more
Tiffany
Sophie
A thrilling read, for sure, complete with knots in stomach, heart in throat! But the good guys win in the end! (not a spoiler! lol). Very intense. The only thing that really bugged me is that the main character does some really stupid shit. For reasons that make themselves apparent early on the reader is supposed to understand or forgive her stupidities, but I found it difficult to do so.
Kathy
Was a good thriller. slow moving at times because too much unneeded info given...
Whitney (Shooting Stars Reviews)
Reviewed by Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

This book is about Ellen and her sister about to have a wonderful Christmas together for the first time in a long time. Gail has been trying to make it as a singer, and she's just now starting to get famous. And Ellen has been through so much in her life, she lost her parents when she was young, and then her husband died as well. They both think things are looking up for them until suddenly Ellen goes to the airport to pick up her sister, and Gail isn't...more
Dalene
First I would like to thank the author Joan Hall Hovey for giving me this book for review. Ellen and her younger sister Gail have survived alcoholic parents and Gail is on the verge of her singing career taking off. They are getting ready to spend Christmas together when on the eve of Gail's flight home she is brutally raped and murdered. Ellen has lost everyone, their parents, her husband who died young of a heart attack and now her sister. She is so distraught she goes on TV for an interview a...more
Joyce
This was suspenseful and, at times, frightening. The antagonist was a sociopath/psychopath who murdered women because of events from his childhood. The protagonist is a female psychologist, whose younger sister, an upcoming blues singer, was one of his victims. She attempts to locate him and cause his arrest. She also sends out teasers to him via television interviews. The Police are, naturally, involved and trying procedurally to locate and capture him. There is a loose connection between the v...more
Lynda Kelly
This is my second by this Canadian author and I'm pleased to say it hasn't as many errors as the previous one had !! Two sisters had managed to survive alcoholic parents and looked out for each other only for the younger one to be killed by a serial killer. Her elder sister discusses it on a TV show and then asks the killer to "come after me, I'll be waiting for you". A little foolhardy but one way to get his attention, I suppose.
So I'd recommend you read her books. I've enjoyed both I've read a...more
Maggie Thom
This was a good story. Joan Hall Hovey has woven a tale that pulls you in and keeps you reading. Ellen's sister is brutally murdered. Devastated, Ellen finds herself alone and unsure how to deal with it. When the police can't give her answers and don't seem to be getting anywhere, Ellen throws out a challenge to the killer. He takes the bait. It keeps you guessing when he's going to strike, where and how. It kept me turning the pages. A book worth reading. I will be reading more by this author.
Rhonda
The characters were well developed and believable. For the most part, they were likeable people. Small-town folks that could be your neighbors. Just normal, everyday people, some with more baggage than others, some more dysfunctional than others, but all interesting, believable, and very readable. I especially adored Myra and Carl.

The locations were easily visualized and imagined, both NYC and Maine.
Jean
It took a few chapters of reading before I realized I had read this book a long time ago. Still is a great mystery thriller that holds your attention to the end. Ellen Morgan's sister is brutally murdered in New York City. Ellen begins her search for the killer and finds herself the target of his murderous attention.
Sharyn
The reviews for this stated "Couldn't put it down" "Total page turner" "Amazing".
I found none of these things, story was good, bit slow and predictable in places. It was easy to put down and I actually went days without reading any of it. I did finish the book but I am in no hurry to read another book by this author.
Cyndi
It was an okay book. Nothing spectacular. I found myself reading Billy Rays lines in his tone, and even though I was not really into it I just had to finish reading to see what really happened to the old man across the street
Keith Hughes
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was a good thriller and I thought the characters were good. However it did get a bit predicatable in the last 10% or so. Overall, it's well worth the time.
Carol Ann
From the rave reviews on my kindle I thought this was going to be a real winner. Turns out to be more of a whiner. Not especially well written and too many coincidences to make this feel reasonable.
Lillie
It's a good thing I wasn't on a deadline when I started reading this. I would have found it hard to put down this fast-paced, tense suspense long enough to meet my deadline.
Melissa
Another very enjoyable book from an author I've never read before! The plot was suspenseful and the characters great! Looking forward to reading more books by her.
Sherry
I loved this book! A lot of suspense - reminds me a little of a Mary Higgins Clark book but a little more punch. A real page turner. Couldn't out it down!
Janell Barney
I am being spoiled by too many good books. This one was a page turner. A little romance thrown in but not too much.
Tanya
Very generic thriller... Predictable so much that I couldn't finish it because I already know what's going to happen?!
Tammy

A really good read. I will add author's other books to my to-read list.
Heather Barnes

Not bad for a Kindle freebie, but I wanted a better ending.
Gloria Johnson
Pretty good serial killer story. Somewhat forulaic, but I liked it.
Pam
Apr 15, 2012 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Really good read. Couldn't put it down. Will read her other books.
Ginny
I couldn't put it down! I read it in 2 days...a real page Turner.
Diane
A free loan from Amazon. Grabbed me immediately. Scary!
Sabrina
A real page turner! I couldn't put it down!
Krystal
excellent! hated to put it down!
Yams
Definitely worth he read o er our spring vacation. It took me all of three days. It was thrilling and made me think about who these characters were and how they fit together. Hovey didn't make it easy to figure out what would unfold next and to me, makes all the difference in the experience.
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Pushed Too Far
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • The Sholes Key: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery (Book #1)
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • The Last Innocent Hour
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Talion
  • Two Shots
  • The Prophet Motive
  • 65 Proof
  • Take No More (James Blake, #1)
  • The Only Witness
  • Disappear
  • Wrecker
The Abduction of Mary Rose Night Corridor Listen to the Shadows Chill Waters Defective