Start by marking “Nowhere to Hide” as Want to Read:
Nowhere to Hide

Nowhere to Hide

Ellen Harris, a glamorous singer with a major contract, is haunted by nightmares of childhood abuse and the brutal murder of a loved one. Just as life is turning around for her, she must face the terrors of her past -- and a new terror, even more vivid, in the form of a murderer who will stop at nothing. Ellen has no choice -- she is alone, and she must pursue the murderer ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Wings ePress (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere to Hide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere to Hide

Margaret
Oct 06, 2010 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Christmas approaches, Ellen Harris looks forward to seeing her sister for the holidays. Gail is the only family that Ellen has left, and she couldn’t be prouder of her sister, who perches on the edge of music stardom. Unfortunately, sudden tragedy strikes when Gail is brutally murdered in her apartment after a performance.

At first, Ellen falls to pieces and plunges into deep depression—but then anger sets in. Determined to find her sister’s killer, she heads to New York and begins to question
Val Pearson
Nov 30, 2010 Val Pearson rated it it was amazing
As I sit here and write this review, all I can say is WOW! This is one heck of an exciting, edge of your seat read! Nowhere to Hide had EVERYTHING you could want in a suspenseful thriller. The character development in this book is unreal. Each character complemented the other perfectly and the plot line was exquisitely written. I was actually holding my breath long before the ending. My mind kept trying to figure out which direction the plot might go. Ms. Hovey has done an incredible job of gett ...more
Sophie
Aug 26, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling read, for sure, complete with knots in stomach, heart in throat! But the good guys win in the end! (not a spoiler! lol). Very intense. The only thing that really bugged me is that the main character does some really stupid shit. For reasons that make themselves apparent early on the reader is supposed to understand or forgive her stupidities, but I found it difficult to do so.
Kathy
Mar 26, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Was a good thriller. slow moving at times because too much unneeded info given...
Tiffany
Mar 08, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Whitney (Shooting Stars Reviews)
Reviewed by Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

This book is about Ellen and her sister about to have a wonderful Christmas together for the first time in a long time. Gail has been trying to make it as a singer, and she's just now starting to get famous. And Ellen has been through so much in her life, she lost her parents when she was young, and then her husband died as well. They both think things are looking up for them until suddenly Ellen goes to the airport to pick up her sister, and Gail isn't
Dalene
Jun 19, 2013 Dalene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2013
First I would like to thank the author Joan Hall Hovey for giving me this book for review. Ellen and her younger sister Gail have survived alcoholic parents and Gail is on the verge of her singing career taking off. They are getting ready to spend Christmas together when on the eve of Gail's flight home she is brutally raped and murdered. Ellen has lost everyone, their parents, her husband who died young of a heart attack and now her sister. She is so distraught she goes on TV for an interview a ...more
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it
This was suspenseful and, at times, frightening. The antagonist was a sociopath/psychopath who murdered women because of events from his childhood. The protagonist is a female psychologist, whose younger sister, an upcoming blues singer, was one of his victims. She attempts to locate him and cause his arrest. She also sends out teasers to him via television interviews. The Police are, naturally, involved and trying procedurally to locate and capture him. There is a loose connection between the v ...more
Maggie Thom
Jan 06, 2013 Maggie Thom rated it really liked it
This was a good story. Joan Hall Hovey has woven a tale that pulls you in and keeps you reading. Ellen's sister is brutally murdered. Devastated, Ellen finds herself alone and unsure how to deal with it. When the police can't give her answers and don't seem to be getting anywhere, Ellen throws out a challenge to the killer. He takes the bait. It keeps you guessing when he's going to strike, where and how. It kept me turning the pages. A book worth reading. I will be reading more by this author.
Lynda Kelly
Aug 06, 2012 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second by this Canadian author and I'm pleased to say it hasn't as many errors as the previous one had !! Two sisters had managed to survive alcoholic parents and looked out for each other only for the younger one to be killed by a serial killer. Her elder sister discusses it on a TV show and then asks the killer to "come after me, I'll be waiting for you". A little foolhardy but one way to get his attention, I suppose.
So I'd recommend you read her books. I've enjoyed both I've read a
Heather
Jun 25, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Ellen Harris is just making it big as a singer. She and her older sister, Gail, plan to spend Christmas together. After Ellen doesn't show at the airport, Gail discovers Ellen has been murdered. The police have no leads so Gail decided to take matters into her own hands. On live TV, she calls out the killer telling him to come get her. This was very suspenseful, although at times a little slow paced.
Rhonda
Oct 06, 2012 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: archived
The characters were well developed and believable. For the most part, they were likeable people. Small-town folks that could be your neighbors. Just normal, everyday people, some with more baggage than others, some more dysfunctional than others, but all interesting, believable, and very readable. I especially adored Myra and Carl.

The locations were easily visualized and imagined, both NYC and Maine.
Sharyn
Sep 15, 2013 Sharyn rated it it was ok
The reviews for this stated "Couldn't put it down" "Total page turner" "Amazing".
I found none of these things, story was good, bit slow and predictable in places. It was easy to put down and I actually went days without reading any of it. I did finish the book but I am in no hurry to read another book by this author.
Jean
Apr 19, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it
It took a few chapters of reading before I realized I had read this book a long time ago. Still is a great mystery thriller that holds your attention to the end. Ellen Morgan's sister is brutally murdered in New York City. Ellen begins her search for the killer and finds herself the target of his murderous attention.
Chris Bunch
Apr 04, 2015 Chris Bunch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down...

Wow! What a great read. Kept your interest the entire story. Took some few hours to read despite three hundred and some odd pages. Just couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this book to everyone who likes good suspense and nail biting stories!
Pat
Jul 11, 2016 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Deepest Dark by this author but this book was not in the same class. The story was cliched and all too predictable. The villain struck me as somewhat ridiculous. This type of killer has been done to death and needs a new angle to keep it fresh.
Yams
Apr 15, 2012 Yams rated it liked it
Definitely worth he read o er our spring vacation. It took me all of three days. It was thrilling and made me think about who these characters were and how they fit together. Hovey didn't make it easy to figure out what would unfold next and to me, makes all the difference in the experience.
Cyndi
Aug 14, 2012 Cyndi rated it liked it
It was an okay book. Nothing spectacular. I found myself reading Billy Rays lines in his tone, and even though I was not really into it I just had to finish reading to see what really happened to the old man across the street
Lillie
Sep 20, 2011 Lillie rated it it was amazing
It's a good thing I wasn't on a deadline when I started reading this. I would have found it hard to put down this fast-paced, tense suspense long enough to meet my deadline.
Jack
Jan 20, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful thriller about a woman's hunt for the serial killer who murdered her sister.
Carol Ann
May 09, 2012 Carol Ann rated it it was ok
From the rave reviews on my kindle I thought this was going to be a real winner. Turns out to be more of a whiner. Not especially well written and too many coincidences to make this feel reasonable.
Janell Barney
Oct 18, 2012 Janell Barney rated it really liked it
I am being spoiled by too many good books. This one was a page turner. A little romance thrown in but not too much.
Marie Clifton
Jul 26, 2016 Marie Clifton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was smashing, couldn't put it down, no boring bits at all will look out for more from this author
Keith Hughes
Jul 25, 2012 Keith Hughes rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was a good thriller and I thought the characters were good. However it did get a bit predicatable in the last 10% or so. Overall, it's well worth the time.
Patricia Hullet
Nov 01, 2016 Patricia Hullet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very good. Very suspenseful without bad language or over the top sex. I will read more of Joan Hall Hovey's books.
Melissa
Sep 19, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
Another very enjoyable book from an author I've never read before! The plot was suspenseful and the characters great! Looking forward to reading more books by her.
Angella Jacob-Cormier
Jan 20, 2015 Angella Jacob-Cormier rated it really liked it
Another great book by Joan Hall Hovey! If a book was ever to make me double check if my doors and windows were locked, this is it!
Sherry
May 21, 2012 Sherry rated it really liked it
I loved this book! A lot of suspense - reminds me a little of a Mary Higgins Clark book but a little more punch. A real page turner. Couldn't out it down!
Tanya
Apr 16, 2012 Tanya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Very generic thriller... Predictable so much that I couldn't finish it because I already know what's going to happen?!
PEG
PEG rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • 65 Proof
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol 4
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • The Sholes Key (Evans and Blackwell Mystery #1)
  • A Deceit to Die For
  • Pushed Too Far (Val Ryker #1)
  • Too Close to Miss (Mara Cunningham Series, #1)
  • Two Kill Again (The Cleary Case Files)
  • *69
  • Crossed (Jayden Morrow Mysteries, #1)
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Two Shots
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • Ultimate Thriller Box Set
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)