Start by marking “Don't Make Me Smile” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Smile

Don't Make Me Smile

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Charlie Hickles' parents are getting a divorce—and for some reason, they actually expect him to understand! But Charlie isn't going to take this divorce lying down.
Published April 23rd 2002 by Yearling (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Make Me Smile

Megan Chonczynski
This is a great book for children whose parents are divorced or who are getting a divorce. It shows that they are not alone and the way that they are feeling is normal. It is not easy for some kids when their parents get divorced because they are confused and upset. It is hard for them because ever thing will be changing. This book shows how a little boy felt about it and how he tried dealing with it.
Josiah
Don't Make Me Smile was written before what I consider Barbara Park's peak writing years, when everything she touched turned to literary gold. Still, it's almost on the same level as her greatest novels, such luminous masterpieces as Mick Harte Was Here, My Mother Got Married (and Other Disasters) and The Kid in the Red Jacket. Many kids' books have tackled the issue of divorcing parents, but not many do so as sincerely or meaningfully as Don't Make Me Smile, or with so much laughter popping up ...more
Kelsey
Jan 23, 2014 Kelsey added it
Kind of boring
Amy
cute book; very realistic. I was hoping it would be a little closer to Junie B.; this kid is 10 going on 11 and JB was only 7. It doesn't seem like Park has anything in between as far as I could tell. My 7yo enjoyed the book and the way it was written. We skipped ~2 pages in the middle that revealed Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy stuff. It wasn't essential to the story.
Brittany Nerdin
I very much enjoyed reading this book. It is about a boy for finds out his parents are getting divorced. He is completely surprised by this news and feels his life is ruined. I liked the writing style, and there were some very funny parts. The book is believable and entertaining. I would recommend this to children with similar problems.
I clearly remember reading this in fifth grade while waiting for school to start in the morning. It was one of the few things that took my mind off of the fact that we were moving soon, which I was dreading. Very good look at how a kid feels when his parents divorce.
Bryan S.
This book is amazing and very funny. I like the way the author writes it's like my style. I had many laughs and alot of touching moments. I would recommed this book
David
Really good book.
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Joel
Joel added it
Oct 27, 2014
Jahnaya Chiddick
Jahnaya Chiddick marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Jesika
Jesika marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Larry Fox
Larry Fox marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Michelle D
Michelle D marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Ruth Damaris
Ruth Damaris marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Fairy Reader
Fairy Reader marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
k w
k w added it
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...
Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3) Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5) Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)