Start by marking “How to Write Movie in 21 Days” as Want to Read:
How to Write Movie in 21 Days

How to Write Movie in 21 Days

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  395 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The ultimate survival guide, How to Write a Movie in 21 Days takes the aspiring screenwriter the shortest distance from blank page to complete script. Viki King's Inner Movie Method is a specific step-by-step process designed to get the story in the writer's onto the page. This method guides the would-be screenwriter through the writing of a movie. It answers such question ...more
Published September 15th 1993 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about How to Write Movie in 21 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write Movie in 21 Days

Film Directing Shot by Shot by Steven D. KatzWriting & Selling Thriller Screenplays by Lucy V. HayA Dream of Passion by Lee StrasbergRebecca by Jennifer K. LaffertyRespect for Acting by Uta Hagen
Acting and Cinema
20th out of 49 books — 16 voters
Writing & Selling Thriller Screenplays by Lucy V. HayThe Screenwriter's Bible by David TrottierThe Anatomy of Story by John TrubyThe Devil's Guide to Hollywood by Joe EszterhasThe Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design by Flint Dille
best screenwriting books
18th out of 39 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg Z
Apr 30, 2016 Greg Z rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Note that the title of this book is not "How to Write a Movie in 21 Days That is Great and Will Win You an Oscar." Yes, you can write a movie in 21 days. Perhaps not a very good one, but you can. I know, as I've done it in ten days, following King's basic instructions but moving faster. And if you want to get your first screenplay on paper, this is the best account out there to get you started. (You should know that there is a massive industry out there embracing books, and classes, and screenpl ...more
Jayda
Apr 01, 2010 Jayda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: script-writers, people who want to write script, and script frenzy participants
This actually is a really interesting book. I like how interesting it actually IS. When I started it, I expected it to be one of those boring "How-To" books (I've read plenty on writing novels) but it actually entertained me!

I'd recommend this to all of you who want to write a script, and to all of you who want to participate in Script Frenzy!

Hopefully I'll be able to write my script in 21 days :)
Terri Lynn
Mar 23, 2013 Terri Lynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
Not bad but you will very likely not have any movie written in 21 days. Actually, there is some reading to be done and some planning before you even get to the 21 days and it seemed to be to be disjointed as you wrote about things without having the whole idea down pat. Imagine trying to write a book this way. Picture a book you like. Imagine that you are the one who is going to write it. You have this vague idea of what it will be about and who the hero or heroine is. Okay, start writing page 7 ...more
Brian Misakian
Feb 18, 2013 Brian Misakian rated it really liked it
This book isn't really the end-all screenwriting textbook, but it's still much better than most that I've read. What makes this one so great is that it gets to the point. Other screenwriting books will bore you with endless examples and hypotheticals. How To Write a Movie in 21 Days is an encouraging, fun, and helpful read for any screenwriter, whether they're a beginner or a pro.
Thomas.harrop
Jan 08, 2016 Thomas.harrop rated it it was amazing
This book contains a great deal of information about writing, pacing and formatting a movie script. It helps you break the task down into smaller steps that make the whole process more manageable. I am going to start using it in my video classes.
Nicole Pramik
I must admit - this book's title is truly adventurous. Granted, it's not meant to be taken literally that you will compose a fully polished screenplay in less than a month. Instead, its intention is to get you thinking and plotting out a full draft, from conception to composition.

This book is divided into three master sections (excluding the introduction and concluding portions). The first section deals with brainstorming, the basics of script format, and sundry exercises to help you write a mi
Julie Ehlers
Jul 17, 2011 Julie Ehlers rated it really liked it
Definitely not a perfect guide. For one thing, the format King wants us to follow is extremely rigid. In terms of the screenplay's plot and character development, she instructs us that certain things are supposed to happen by pages 10, 30, 45, 60, 90, 100, 120. You may feel like you're failing if your screenplay isn't following this model exactly. Of course, King herself admits that not every screenplay hits every turning point on exactly these pages (indeed, most don't), but given that the enti ...more
Andrew Tippett
Jul 05, 2014 Andrew Tippett rated it it was amazing
Great book. She focuses about 1/3 of the book on writing a screenplay. The other 2/3 is how to stop procrastinating and get your lazy ass in motion and start writing. While Richard Walter covers the technicality of writing visually, Viki King's approach is very practical.
Elias
Mar 03, 2014 Elias rated it liked it
More a motivator than an end-all on screenwriting tenets. Great for that pesky writer's block or a drought of creativity, but not much more.
Chris Cook
This book is good for outlining an interesting process for writing a screenplay quickly. I was not up to implementing her suggestions, practically speaking, but perhaps other writers would profit by her suggestions. While I am a "pantser" by nature, if not by nurture, the process she outlines was just a little too pantser for me. I got 3 days into the process and found myself flailing. Perhaps the SAVE THE CAT series is more my cup of tea. But this is a classic for some screenwriters, so I'm not ...more
Melissa Hedges rankin
May 14, 2016 Melissa Hedges rankin rated it really liked it
I started this book because I had found myself in the middle of a writers block for a second screenplay that I was writing. The book took me longer than I expected because I found I was smack in the middle, of waist-deep procrastination. However what I discovered as I muddled through the reading were a lots of helpful hints that got me 'unstuck', as well as great motivational tips to keep me going.
Though it would take me longer then 30 days to complete this screenplay, the author's positive tip
Jeevan
Jun 02, 2014 Jeevan rated it it was amazing
Great
Sharon Powers
May 28, 2014 Sharon Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. I can not give a date as to when I finished it because I will never be finished with it! I am constantly finding something new in Viki's words. Not only is this book great for screenwriting, but its all about story structure, characters and even your own personal time management when writing. I consider it to be one of the best investments I have ever made. I purchased it over 15 years ago and its so tattered from use that I recently purchased another copy.
Carrie Nygard
Apr 16, 2016 Carrie Nygard rated it it was amazing
As a new student to the screenwriting process, I found this book to be quite helpful. particularly the way the author breaks down the writing process into manageable steps. I read through the book taking notes, but not yet starting the 21 day writing plan. I wanted to first get an overview before starting my own script. I will go through this a second time following the writing exercises day by day to get my screenplay finished. I am eager to get started!
Ira Livingston
Feb 14, 2016 Ira Livingston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viki King has given you a fast, easy to read style that really gets you to write your film. I really liked the concept of daily hurdles and how to break it down to what needed to be accomplished on certain days, but also how she makes you consistently have to think about the writing itself.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the writing process for film.
Paul Agusta
Aug 17, 2007 Paul Agusta rated it really liked it
one of the best books on screenwriting I have ever read.

ignore the sensationalistic title, and just follow the steps at your own pace. this book basically shows you how to take an intuitive approach to screenwriting. writing more with your heart and gut than your brain.

I reccomend this to anyone just starting out as a screenwriter.
Andd Becker
Mar 14, 2013 Andd Becker rated it it was ok
Can advice in this book help a writer to overcome writer's block and begin to write? Perhaps.
The writer proclaims there is no such thing as writer's block. If you cannot write, do something different, e.g., fly a kite or go to the store.
To write a movie script, write from your heart and rewrite from your head.
S. Aeschliman
Oct 21, 2015 S. Aeschliman rated it it was amazing
Concise, straightforward, practical, compassionate advice. I read this book on a friend's recommendation and am using it to help me think about scene-building & plot the narrative structure for a novel I'm writing. I found this book incredibly inspiring.
Karla
Aug 24, 2013 Karla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this since it explained many of the "whys" surrounding your writing as opposed to just the how to. I will refer it it often. Probably second on my list, after Syd Field's Screenplay, of writing for film.
Jean
Mar 03, 2008 Jean rated it it was amazing
If you desire to become a screenwriter, this is the 2nd book you should read after readind Syd Field. Fun and easy book on the basics of screenwriting and the importance of timing your story.
Scott
I never believe the just add water and poof your masterpiece is completed but did offer a few interesting ideas on a subject I know/knew very little about.
Terry Woods
Jan 17, 2015 Terry Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure about the 21 days, but her explanation of the hollywood formula is excellent. I still refer to this book when I'm plotting.
Natalie
Mar 26, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Screenwriters and screenwriters to be
Recommended to Natalie by: The author, her beautiful self!
Fabulous! I love Viki. She is an inspiration goddess. She also offers an audio tape with great visualization exercises.
Jul 19, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
Ambitious! Surprisingly helpful step-by-step process of writing the movie you always wanted to write.
Mia McInnis
Feb 24, 2012 Mia McInnis rated it liked it
Shelves: research-fantasy
Interesting...though I still don't think I'll be doing what this book promised anytime soon.
Sereena
Jun 16, 2013 Sereena rated it really liked it
Shelves: screenwriting
Useful but a bit too structure focused. Helped me get my scenes in order and shape my thoughts.
Christi Kapp
Mar 26, 2008 Christi Kapp rated it really liked it
I learned that I am probably better at writing books than movies..ha ha
Abdullah H.
Disappointing.
The
Aug 09, 2009 The rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, writing
I dug it.
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • The Screenwriter's Problem Solver: How to Recognize, Identify, and Define Screenwriting Problems
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insiders Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies: The Screenwriter's Guide to Every Story Ever Told
  • Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great
  • The Coffee Break Screenwriter: Writing Your Script Ten Minutes at a Time
  • The Hollywood Standard: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Script Format and Style
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters
  • Don't Murder Your Mystery: 24 Fiction-Writing Techniques to Save Your Manuscript from Turning Up D.O.A.
  • The TV Writer's Workbook: A Creative Approach To Television Scripts
  • Directing Actors
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • Cinematic Storytelling