Start by marking “The Wizard in the Tree” as Want to Read:
The Wizard in the Tree

The Wizard in the Tree

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  671 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Mallory notices there's something funny about an old oak tree, takes a closer look, and before she knows it, she's broken a magical spell. Arbican the wizard has been trapped in the oak for thousands of years, and his powers are gone. Will he get them back in time to save Mallory's village from greedy Squire Scrupner?
Published January 1st 1998 by Puffin Books (first published April 28th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard in the Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard in the Tree

Kat
Apr 23, 2008 Kat rated it really liked it
I like this book more for a funny thing that happened to me than for the content. The book was good- a cute, little fantasy story- but nothing that'll really be remembered over time the way The Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings will.

I was in 5th or 6th grade when a parent in the school system where I went to elementary school threw a fit about this book at a school board meeting due to two words contained therein: "slut" and "damn." Both words, I should note, were used in context (
vaugnfreech
Mar 24, 2013 vaugnfreech rated it really liked it
I bought the book for only 15 Php. It's the second Lloyd Alexander book I read so far...coz after reading the first book of his Prydain Chronicles, I was bored to proceed to the next one.

Neways...The Wizard in the Tree is not in a series. It's on a different setting, different time. The story of a girl named Mallory who accidentally freed an ancient wizard named Arbican who was trapped inside an oak tree for thousands of years. Now, you might be wondering the book is one of those freeing-an-ench
Mara
Nov 05, 2011 Mara rated it really liked it
One word: hilarious. And clever. Once again Lloyd Alexander offers Readers a completely likable, strong heroine and a grouchy wizard who manages to be funny rather than simply annoying. He sets it in the perfect time period - no, not at all medieval - and presents a storyline which is quite well thought out, rather than tha slapped-together feeling so many of his endings seem to have. In some ways, the story has a little bit of a Charles Dickens feel to it (probably the names, and the fact that ...more
Alberto
Apr 11, 2015 Alberto rated it it was amazing
It's not a bad book, but I don't really like to read it, because it gives me a deep feeling of claustrophobia whenever I imagine it. I just get really uncomfortable for some reason. I'm not saying I don't recommend it, it's just not for me.
Gig Wailgum
Dec 02, 2015 Gig Wailgum rated it liked it
Inventive story idea and great title. Mostly all despicable characters including the wizard at times. Did not like some of the language, such as slut and wench, it was not needed.
Nicholas Siebers
Aug 13, 2014 Nicholas Siebers rated it it was ok
Just wasn't very good. Pretty mean spirited, not much of a plot, characters aren't very sympathetic. I read it out loud to my 7 year old daughter, and she agreed it was just ok.
Leigh Sabinsky
Title: The Wizard in the Tree
Author: Lloyd Alexander
Illustrator: Laszlo Kubinyi
Genre: Science fiction
Theme(s): Courage, heroism, honor,
Opening line/sentence: “Mallory’s oak was down.”
Brief Book Summary: When Mallory takes interest to an old oak tree, she soon learns that she’s broken a magical spell. After rescuing the wizard Arbican who has been trapped in the tree for thousands of years, Mallory must help him get his powers back, and escape the persecution of Squire Scrupnor.
Professional
Robin
Jul 08, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
If Chocolate Frogs Famous Wizard Cards featured beloved wizards from the pages of literature, you know there would be a card each for J. K. Rowling's Dumbledore, and Tolkien's Gandalf, and Peter Beagle's Schmendrick, and John Bellairs' Prospero... I've already got quite a long list in mind. Now that I've read this brief book by the Newbery Medal and National Book Award winning author of the Prydain Chronicles, I have another name to add to that list: Arbican. He doesn't do much magic in this boo ...more
Linda Hartlaub
Lloyd Alexander was either in a bad mood or a grumpy old man when he wrote this. What a motley group of miserable characters he created. If you take all of the Grimm fairy tales and put in the worst step-parents (although she is a kitchen maid in a family , so rather think Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter), the meanest miser, the most selfish wizard along with various henchmen, then you have the cast of characters.

It wasn't a bad book, but pretty simplistic. But for some reason, in
Emilyanne
Apr 20, 2014 Emilyanne rated it it was amazing
Random children's book find. I adored every minute of it.
This is a book I wish I had been able to read as a child and grown up with.
Better late than never. I need to get my own copy of this one for my 'childhood favorites' shelf.
Amanda
Mar 28, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
Somehow in my obsessive-compulsive childhood reading of every-single-thing-Lloyd-Alexander-ever-wrote, I missed this one. ? Admittedly, I didn't love it as much as most of his other work, but I can still happily state that Alexander sure knows how to write an exciting climax and a brilliant moral. And, despite her shortcomings, Mallory (the main character) doesn't come across as drippy or obnoxious. She's a brave, quick-thinking girl who happens to also be good-hearted and she doesn't read like ...more
Mary Katherine
Jul 24, 2015 Mary Katherine rated it really liked it
This book is about a little girl named Mallory who finds a wizard in a tree and rescues him. HE has been in the tree so long that he has lost his powers. Mallory now has to help him get back to the land of hearts desire. This book is an easy read, you will be through with it in no time. Its a fun adventure that is hard to put down. The wizard is sarcastic which adds a lot of humor to the book. It is one that I would have in my classroom because it would be easy for my students to read and it tea ...more
Jess
Sep 11, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, fantasy
Classic Lloyd Alexander - an ordinary young woman, full of imagination, finds herself on a magical adventure. This might make a fun family read-aloud - there's a bit of violence and treachery, but nothing too scary, and plenty of humor. It's a nice, trim 138 pages, but I imagine that if it were published today, it would be twice as fat with wider margins and less old-fashioned illustrations. I miss books like this.
Katharine Ott
Mar 11, 2016 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
"The Wizard in the Tree" - written by Lloyd Alexander and first published in 1974. An amusing story for younger fantasy explorers written by a legend in the genre.
Anthony Faber
Feb 24, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing
Kids' book. It's kind of an anti-fairy tale, starring a wizard that constantly belittles the worth of magic. the plucky girl heroine manages quite well with just her wits.
Terri
Nov 27, 2014 Terri rated it liked it
Not amazing but a nice little read. Read with Jr. High book club.
Catherine  Mustread
Similar theme as The Cat Who Wished to be a Man, moralizing about some of the worst traits of humans – greed, lack of compassion, and unrealistic beliefs, but after a slow start, I liked this one much better. Alexander evidently struggled a bit finding his niche in the fantasy realm but you can see parts of his later books in this one, magical pigs, wizards who promote using one's own strengths, characters who care. 3.5 stars.
Karl Clemence
Aug 28, 2014 Karl Clemence rated it it was amazing
Jaimie
Apr 22, 2013 Jaimie rated it liked it
Alexander's light-hearted tale of a left behind enchanted and this accidental companion Mallory is a well thought out (though predictable) tale of magic and wrongs made right. He relies on my of the well-known tropes of the youth fantasy novel, but it was still a worthwhile read that is packed with laughter and adventure.
Marci Christensen
Nov 25, 2013 Marci Christensen rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, 50-in-2013
I thought since I liked the Black Cauldron series so much that I would like this short book also. I was a little disappointed. There is some language in it, so I will not be sharing it with William. The story was mostly interesting. Just not my favorite.
Jay
Aug 08, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok
A little too simple for me, and not enough focus on Mallory. Although she's the main character, she exists only to free Arbican which seems pretty lame. Things ended well, but I wouldn't recommend this to people.
Snowman
Dec 13, 2007 Snowman rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: almost nobody
I really didn't like this book. The story was sort of lame, and I really just didn't like it overall. It seemed that nothing really exciting was happening, and I really didn't like the ending either.
Mandy  Harmon
Nov 09, 2008 Mandy Harmon rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mandy by: Found it at the library
I didn't really like this book, the writting was just not the best. And the plot was just ok. About a girl who finds a old wizard who isn't very great with magic in a tree.
Michaela
Aug 02, 2008 Michaela rated it really liked it
This also would I recommend for younger minds, but if you're in the need o fa simple, easy book that is clever and British, then Lloyd Alexander is for you!
Doni
May 22, 2009 Doni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
I don't know why Mallory would want to help the wizard, as awnry and ungrateful as he is. But it was a fun read with a good message anyway.
Apr 24, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I read this so long ago . . . I remember thinking it was clever. But I don't remember much else.
Brandon Byrd
May 27, 2011 Brandon Byrd rated it liked it
One of those books I got in 5th grade and never read. It's a nice, little book.
Sallyavena
Nov 18, 2009 Sallyavena rated it liked it
Right now reading this one outloud to the kids. So far so good.
Felisha
Jun 09, 2008 Felisha is currently reading it
I enjoy this grumpy character, he reminds me of someone.....Hmmmmm!
Elevetha
Aug 23, 2012 Elevetha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Recommended to Elevetha by: Biblia Fyle
Cute and fun to read. Desperately need a re-read.
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • Fog Magic
  • Crown and Jewel
  • She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Shadow Castle
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Monster Garden
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • The Snow Princess
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • Smart Dog
  • .hack // AI Buster (AI Buster, #1)
Lloyd Chudley Alexander (January 30, 1924 - May 17, 2007) was an influential American author of more than forty books, mostly fantasy novels for children and adolescents, as well as several adult books. His most famous contribution to the field of children's literature is the fantasy series The Chronicles of Prydain. The concluding book of the series, The High King, was awarded the Newbery Medal i ...more
More about Lloyd Alexander...