Start by marking “Combray (Remembrance of Things Past, #1)” as Want to Read:
Combray (Remembrance of Things Past, #1)

Combray (Remembrance of Things Past Graphic Novel Adaptation #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
At last brought to the U.S., the best-selling comics adaptation of the great classic of French literature that scandalized the French establishment as reported on the front page of the New York Times! Step back into a world of insightful reflection as Proust is brought back, through the legendary magic of the smell of a madeleine, to his youth in a small town of France.
Published January 1st 2001 by Nantier Beall Minoustchine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Combray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Combray

Corey
Jan 09, 2016 Corey rated it really liked it
I am steeping myself in Proust. This is a charming graphic novel version of the first chapter of 'Swann's Way.'
g
Jan 04, 2016 g rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is an interesting attempt to distill Proust. I wasn't all that impressed by the art, which was monotone in expression and perspective. The story was a curious mixture of terse episodes, abrupt transitions, and comparatively tedious (read: text heavy) flights of fancy (direct quotations from the original?). In any case, the whole affair felt rushed. It had the same wistful, sympathetic-but-snobby feel of the original, but then again, it's likely that this book was simply a madeleine, calling ...more
Sondra
Mar 08, 2013 Sondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely comic adaptation of the first part of Proust's novel, Combray. Though it doesn't really add anything to the text, it is nice to see those iconic scenes come to life in an effective and understated visual style. I particularly enjoyed the pictures of the steeples on the horizon and the bedroom upon waking, but the depiction of Gilberte seemed all wrong - certainly not the vision of youthful beauty that our young narrator is so taken by. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable auxiliary readin ...more
Lynne-marie
Dec 28, 2009 Lynne-marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The celebrated beginning is easier to read if you allow it to be the dream it is. Let what scintillates sparkle like the dew and sink yourself in the smell of the sacred chestnuts. This is life a century ago in another country and you are to have it transferred to your mind through impressions, which happens easily if you just don't bear down. Go easily. Don't focus on the length or the complications, just imbibe. It is delightful!!
Jessica
Jan 07, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to be able to talk about Proust without investing a whole lot of time in it
I've made several attempts to appreciate Proust. While his language is beautiful, I never get through more than a paragraph or two before his exquisite details lull me into a contented nap. This graphic novel format was a perfect introduction to the main themes of the work without getting too bogged down in his lengthy descriptions. I'm sure this visual adaptation doesn't do the original justice, but as a work in its own right it is engaging.
Arax Miltiadous
πολύ ωραία ιδέα για το έργο του Προυστ... όμορφη κλασσική εικονογράφηση συνοδευόμενη από την υπέροχη αφηγηματική ικανότητα του Προυστ και τις ενδελεχείς περιγραφές των τοπίων, των αναμνήσεων και των συναισθημάτων τόσο ωραία δοσμένες που είναι σαν να σου δίνετε πρόσβαση στο Άδυτο του μυαλού.
και είναι για όλες τις ηλικίες και για όλα τα ενδιαφέροντα.
Susanne
Der Band hat den Inhalt und die Atmosphäre von "Combray" gut aufgefangen! Ich bin gerade dabei nach einer längeren Pause den zweiten Band des Romans zu lesen und wollte mir mit dem Comic das Wiederanknüpfen erleichtern. Für diesen Zweck ist der Band absolut geeignet, kann aber trotz der sorgfältigen Textauswahl die Lektüre des Romans nicht ersetzen. Besonders gut haben mir die Zeichnungen der Landschaften, Städte, Häuser und Interieurs gefallen, weil sie das Flair der historischen Zeit vermittel ...more
Dottie
Jan 22, 2009 Dottie rated it really liked it
Shelves: proust, graphics, own, 2009
Interesting experience, refreshing a story which is nothing, if not language at the saturation point, by reading the same story in such truncated, proscribed and yet not always less effectively utilized language and largely translated into pictures.

For this particular graphic experiment, I will say the enjoyment is for me in the comparisons.

As for the story version I would prefer in this instance -- hands down would be the book in which the pictures are painted with words across my mind's eye. T
Meghan
Is this the ideal medium in which to experience Proust? No, not really, but the art does a nice job of depicting the time and place which are so important and vivid.
Dionisis Georgiou
Φαντάζομαι ότι αν δεν έχεις διαβάσει ποτέ σου Proust και ξεκινάς από ένα graphic novel είσαι άξιος της μοίρας σου. Κάποια στιγμή στο μέλλον το κανονικό.
Elsa
Mar 17, 2015 Elsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Definitely got the "flavor" of Proust in this highly condensed graphic novel version. Might have to read the original (...some day). Read for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge: Graphic novel.
E Smith
Sep 30, 2010 E Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
these are absolutely great for geting the gist of remembrance of things past without having to read the enormous number of pages. the illustrations seem facile at first but then it becomes clear that the graphic format is highly successful at mimicking proust image heavy style. there isn't much dialog in proust, so lots of almost cinematic views. all in all i suggest this to anyone curious about the great work, who wants to get a taste before making the commitment
J
Apr 15, 2009 J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
An amazing condensation. Now I just need to get the others, but much like Shanower's Trojan war series and Jason Lutes' entirely awesome Berlin books, this is one of those uncompleted pieces that will take years to finally read the last one. Daggone slow working geniuses.

There are scenes in here where the visual is just a perfect tonic for Proust's wordiness. The scene where he unknowingly cuts his uncle in the street is just a silent piece of beauty.
Andres Romero cortina
It is a good way to draw attention over the work of Marcel Proust. Don't expect to much innovation from the drawings.
Deb
Apr 17, 2008 Deb rated it liked it
As Proust's main character unburies his memories with the smell of a madeline, his phrases will put half-cooked ideas of your own on the stove with the burner on low. Sentences and theories will simmer in your head for months. You will decide to read the actual book, but not just yet.

Artwork: not to my taste.
TrumanCoyote
A pretty fun encapsulation--with occasional cool movie effects (like the tea and madeleines episode, and other multiple cuts). Somewhat tedious--but not nearly as bad as the original of course. An interesting and promising ComicsLit approach (so maybe now I'll read volume 2).
Ed Erwin
Jun 29, 2011 Ed Erwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can finally say I've read "Remembrance of Things Past" !

OK, this is only a sampling of some key scenes, but there is enough of the text to get a feel for the style of the original. Enough to decide whether you do or don't want to plunge into the real thing.
Gui
Jun 15, 2014 Gui rated it it was ok
Way too much prose for a graphic novel.
Debbie
Sep 08, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting cartoon version of Marcel Proust — exemplifies French bourgeois life near the turn of the century and a fanciful young boy's impressions.
Justin
Mar 30, 2013 Justin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I saw one of these at Asbury Comic Con today. They'll make a graphic novel out of pretty much anything, I guess.
Alexis Vaughan
Jun 16, 2010 Alexis Vaughan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bien - j'aime bien les commentaires du Amazon.fr sur ce livre - j'attends le suivant!
Edith
J'ai déjà lu Du côté de chez Swann mais en bd, ça doit aller plus vite!
Jenn
Jun 30, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it
This was OK, a little on the boring side. Nothing memorable about it.
Oct 18, 2007 Sarah rated it liked it
I wish all classics were also comic books. I would be better read.
Hannah
Sep 04, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, it was just so boring.
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Louisa
Louisa marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
May 07, 2016
Pesty
Pesty rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Proust graphic novels - Add book, blurb 10 80 Dec 20, 2011 01:50AM
  • Indian Summer
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Charley's War, Volume 2: 1 August - 17 October 1916
  • The P. Craig Russell Library of Opera Adaptations, Vol. 1: The Magic Flute
  • Remembrance of Things Past: Volume II - The Guermantes Way & Cities of the Plain
  • King Smurf
  • Rebetiko
  • Un Gaffeur Sachant Gaffer (Gaston Classique, #7)
  • L'attentat
  • It's a Bird...
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 2
  • Eerie Archives, Vol. 1
  • Marcel Proust: A Life
  • Proust's Way: A Field Guide to In Search of Lost Time
  • The Adventure of Black Peter (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • Corto Maltese: Les Ethiopiques
  • El Iluminado: A Graphic Novel
  • L'étranger
119580
Stéphane Heuet est né à Brest en 1957. Marin pendant sept ans dans l'océan Indien puis directeur artistique à Paris, il découvre, à 35 ans, À la recherche du temps perdu de Marcel Proust et entreprend aussitôt son adaptation en bande dessinée.
Étudiée dans les lycées et les universités, la série comporte aujourd'hui 6 tomes (Combray, À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs volumes I et II, Un amour
More about Stéphane Heuet...

Remembrance of Things Past Graphic Novel Adaptation (6 books)
  • À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, Volume 1 (À la recherche du temps perdu, #2)
  • À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, Volume 2 (À la recherche du temps perdu, #3)
  • Swann in Love, Volume 1 (Remembrance of Things Past, #4)
  • Swann in Love, Volume 2 (Remembrance of Things Past, #5)
  • Nom de pays : Le nom (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)