Start by marking “Twelve Angry Men” as Want to Read:
Twelve Angry Men

Twelve Angry Men

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,884 Ratings  ·  627 Reviews
Over the course of a steamy and tense afternoon, twelve jurors deliberate the fate of a 19 year-old boy alleged to have murdered his own father. A seemingly open and shut case turns complicated, igniting passions and hidden prejudices.
Audio CD, Abridged, 86 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by LA Theatre Works (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Angry Men, please sign up.

Naomi Esrig I've seen the movie a million times and the book was still fun to read...It is almost the exact same words as the movie, but the narrating in the book…moreI've seen the movie a million times and the book was still fun to read...It is almost the exact same words as the movie, but the narrating in the book is cool for interpretation.
(less)
Naomi Esrig Is this a question? I mean, I do agree that it isn't as entertaining because of the absence of an actual view of what is occurring, though I did enjoy…moreIs this a question? I mean, I do agree that it isn't as entertaining because of the absence of an actual view of what is occurring, though I did enjoy reading it much more simply because films are a bit of a bore to me. Watching pictures move in front of your eyes will never be the same as reading a book because a book allows for imagination, for you to picture how each character responds in accordance to the author's notes. So, for those with shorter attention-spans or those who find it hard to sit in one place, I do agree that the film is a better choice. The book, however, is much more up for interpretation and, in my opinion, much more enjoyable.
(less)

لجنة المحلفين في مسرحيتنا هذه باقة منوعة من البشر
كلهم يجمعهم شيء واحد
الرغبة في القيام بهذا الواجب الوطني المشرف بأقصى سرعة
Flannery
You would think they would've forced us to watch Twelve Angry Men in law school, but they didn't. After reading the play and watching the movie a few weeks ago, I feel like every American should have to read Twelve Angry Men. The play centers on a jury deliberation. During several heated hours (literally and figuratively), twelve men discuss whether the verdict they come to will exonerate a young man for the murder of his father, or condemn him to a death sentence that the judge explained he had ...more
Jonathan
The following will be a twelve thousand word dissertation on the seventy page long play by Reginald Rose. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll simply stick to reviewing.

Recently I've been reading several plays and short stories. In part because I'm required to (like this one) and in part because I enjoy the difference in media. So I shall promptly go over what makes Twelve Angry Men different.

The play itself covers the case of an apparently guilty boy claimed to have stabbed his father. The prosecution app
Liz Janet
May 03, 2016 Liz Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
First of all, go and watch the film version of this with Henry Fonda, as it is one of the greatest films of all time. I have yet to meet one person that did not like nor appreciate the importance of that film.

“There were eleven votes for “guilty.” It’s not easy for me to raise my hand and send a boy off to die without talking about it first.” This short play follows a jury, as they try to pass a verdict on a homicide case. Juror 8 believes there is reasonable doubt while all the other men have
Connie
Dec 12, 2014 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The twelve angry men in this play are members of a jury deliberating during a homicide trial. They must come to an unanimous decision of "guilty" or "not guilty" to prevent a hung jury. Their decision has serious consequences since a guilty charge will result in a death sentence. Eleven jurors are ready to make a snap decision of guilty and head home, but one dissenting juror has a reasonable doubt. He prompts the other jurors to examine the evidence more closely.

The young man on trial is a mino
Becky
I love this. It's so brilliant in so many ways.

I remember reading this in school and thinking how unfair it was of the main "antagonist" juror, #3, to disregard all points regarding anything that might lead to a not-guilty verdict simply because of his own personal prejudices and opinions.

It's interesting to me now how that tells me as much about myself as it does about the characters. Back then, I thought that Juror 3 was a mean man, almost evil, and that he just wanted the defendant to die t
Amanda
Feb 10, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engl-7701
I was very excited about reading "Twelve Angry Men." I've seen the film, so when I saw that the play was a choice for class reading, I couldn't wait to read it.

My immediate response to the text was that I couldn't put it down. I was compelled by the 8th Juror's arguments and by figuring out each individual's demeanor and attitude, I loved discovering more and more about each character as I read about their interaction with other characters. As I continue reading, I'm not only motivated by the ul
Cynthia Nine
Jul 03, 2015 Cynthia Nine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a saying that goes: "when Peter talks about Paul, we learn more about Peter than about Paul." If I could sum up what I've learned from this play in just one sentence, this would be it. We tend to perceive things based on our own beliefs and experiences in life, and very often it only takes two crucial words for someone to be guilty before our eyes: ignorance and fear. Our sacred daily doses of ignorance and fear. Also, we probably are biologically programmed to label people who differ fr ...more
Jen
May 18, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, 2016
Amazing.

Never having seen the play, I picked this up as a "Book You Can Read in a Day" and read it in a little over an hour. There is so much packed into so few words. I loved it.
Ryan
Aug 20, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why should Reginald Rose's Twelve Angry Men work? If anything, it starts with what I would have thought a tired premise: jurors -- all men, 12 of them, and fairly angry -- in deliberation. So what?

Well, for one thing, "a man's life is at stake."

To make matters worse, I'll admit that I am not usually a fan of reading plays. In fact, I was sure that this one, with its twelve nameless characters, would be a real struggle to get through. Who can tie a character's character to a name like "Juror #8?"
Lilyan
Interesting.

I read this play as I'm considering taking part in the production and I really enjoyed it.

In the 12 angry men, you see all the different types of people. You have juror 8, who stood against all the others, did not give in to peer pressure and stood his ground. On the other hand of the spectrum, we have juror 3, a bitter, stubborn and biased man.

The play has a very strong message. It's so easy to condemn and judge someone from the safety of our comfortable jury rooms/homes/offices.
Whitney
May 21, 2016 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Impressions
After watching Making a Murderer, a play about a jury debating the innocence of a juvenile being tried for murder seemed appropriate.

Impressions While Reading

It a first seemed like a simple story but it was anything but and the tensions the bounced from one to another kept the listener in suspense to learn the verdict.

Final Impressions

Twelve Angry Men was satisfying and had you questioning the boy's innocence but I thought it ended abruptly and thus the conclusion was not fulfil
Rachel Lightwood

I find that I truly don’t have much to say about this particular read. It was for school, obviously. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a play for simple pleasure reading…. but that’s not the point. This story should’ve been right up my alley since it’s largely a thriller, but it was pretty monotonous and a little slow. I did think it was engaging and realistic. It cast a pretty accurate (from what I believe) picture of life in 1957 America, but it was anticlim
Troy Blackford
May 03, 2014 Troy Blackford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a play! This was amazing stuff. Though you can sense it is getting up there in years, it doesn't seem nearly as dated as many of the things of its era. I had heard of this my whole life but never really known much about it. It didn't take long to realize that I was dealing with a major work of incredible power. Heavily recommended.
Sookie
Apr 17, 2016 Sookie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, 2016
This play has seen success on both stage and live action adaptation. It is easy to see why. The protagonist, Juror #8, is a righteous man who refuses to accept the discussion placed in front of him during a murder trial. Though the characters are identified by numbers, their characterization is unique thus giving us twelve people who are easily identifiable by their words. Rose picks people from all walks of life: a righteous man, a hardworking meek man, a family man, a bully etc. These characte ...more
Joaquin Garza
Apr 20, 2014 Joaquin Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-and-drama
Nota mental # 1: Cuando veas anunciada una obra de teatro con doce actores muy conocidos y de entre ellos por lo menos seis están considerados ‘primeros actores’, tienes que hacer un mínimo esfuerzo por ir a verla.

Si esta obra se llama ‘Doce hombres en pugna’, siempre puedes por recurrir a una bonita adaptación en audiolibro, como en mi caso. Calidad de la representación aparte (muy buena, con Dan Castellaneta [AKA Homero Simpson en inglés] y Héctor Elizondo), la obra es una de aquellas piezas
Justin
Apr 18, 2009 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engl-7701
I read Twelve Angry Men at some point during my middle or high school years, but I don’t remember exactly when. I also recall watching the original motion picture, and more recently, I’ve seen the updated movie. I was always really intrigued by the premise: a man is on trial for murder, all the evidence confirms his guilt, one lone juror stands up for him and converts everyone else to a plea of not guilty – it’s very “Hollywood.” It’s been a while though, since I’ve read the actual play.

When I f
Camille
Mar 23, 2009 Camille rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dr-crovitz-class
Andrew G.
Nov 10, 2009 Andrew G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This play only takes place in a jury room, and the setup to the plot line is never revealed all at once. An interesting point of this book is that there are no names, only the numbers of the jurors and the witnesses of the case as the 'old man', or 'woman'. These twelve jurors are appointed to deliberate on the trial of a teenage boy who allegedly stabbed his father, and it looks like a open-and-shut case in the beginning, but the evidence that is revealed during the story makes it much more di ...more
Behzad
Jul 28, 2015 Behzad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"WOW" is how I feel about this play, briefly.
Ecem
Apr 21, 2015 Ecem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
*4.5* It was a required reading, but it was also fast pace and leaves you with a doubt in your mind. I was hesitant just because it is a play, and now I suggest everyone to read it.
Realini
Feb 08, 2016 Realini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theater
Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose
Majestic play and a wonderful entertainment that is both meaningful and worthwhile

The movie with Henry Fonda is a classic, but I did not know that there is a play named Twelve Angry Men.
And it is extraordinary on so many levels.
The tension keeps building up like we are not confined to a room and it offers me -and I see thousands of others on goodreads- a fabulous ride which beats any Fast and the Furious.
Granted, on that last count it is a figure of speech, for
Chris
May 20, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, plays, poc-on-cover
I know that there some people who think that this play is dated. What are the chances of having an all white and all male jury? To these people, I respond, have you seen the news lately?
A nice audio performance of the play. My favorite version, however, is still Showtime’s which had a racially mixed cast.
BrokenTune
Jan 26, 2014 BrokenTune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Review posted on BookLikes:

Cole
Aug 27, 2015 Cole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramatheatre
I originally loved this play. I've seen it more than three times performed and used to compulsively watch various film versions of it when I was bored. This is the first time I have read the play, however, and like many plays it reads better performed than in written form. The personalities of the characters are much easier to track through performance than reading since they are not named. The lack of names is difficult in that it makes each character into a stereotype rather than a name, e.g. ...more
Jay
Sep 11, 2009 Jay rated it it was ok
Melissa
Aug 08, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twelve men are sequestered in a stuffy room and tasked with determining the fate of a boy who was accused of murdering his father. The jurors are indentified only by their numbers (juror two, juror four), which you would think would be confusing, but it isn’t. They take a vote and realize that 11 of the 12 believe the defendant is guilty. They need a unanimous vote for a conviction and in the instant they know this won’t be as easy as they’d hoped.

It’s amazing that Rose was able to pack such a
Jill Nelson
Oct 05, 2013 Jill Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course as a being concerned with social justice issues this text speaks to me. As U.S. citizens I believe we take our freedom and rights for granted most of the time. Something like jury duty sounds mundane and an inconvenience, not an honor or a privilege. Taking time from our jobs, families and hobbies to participate in this civic duty is a drag. I think this book/play/movie does an incredible job of changing our perspective. What power we have in our hands to change another being's life. T ...more
~Emily~
Twelve Angry Men was actually very interesting. It was a quick and entertaining read. I didn't find it difficult to tell the characters apart and I loved seeing how the case unraveled. I was expecting to be bored, but the play was very engaging.
Patrick Sherriff
I found a copy of this at my local bookstore, which being in suburban Japan, is all the more remarkable. I bought it because I remembered I liked the film and it seems to me it has much to say given the spate of stories of cops kIlling black Americans prevalent on social media now. Its themes are very modern -- justice and social injustice, and how we (or white America) is quick to judge based on prejudice. But it's also quaint, with a faith in the US jury system and by extension, democracy that ...more
2016 Reading Chal...: Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose 1 9 Mar 19, 2016 06:05PM
Around the Year i...: Twelve Angry Men, by Reginald Rose 1 10 Mar 02, 2016 09:40PM
If a potential juror claimed this was his favorite play... 1 13 Oct 18, 2014 03:34PM
Comparisons 2 17 Dec 29, 2012 12:40AM
  • The Pirates of Penzance
  • A Few Good Men
  • In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
  • Fiddler on the Roof
Reginald Rose (December 10, 1920 – April 19, 2002) was an American film and television writer most widely known for his work in the early years of television drama. Rose's work is marked by its treatment of controversial social and political issues. His realistic approach helped create the slice of life school of television drama, which was particularly influential in the anthology programs of the ...more
More about Reginald Rose...

“It takes a great deal of courage to stand alone even if you believe in something very strongly.” 54 likes
“Facts may be colored by the personalities of the people who present them.” 23 likes