Start by marking “Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)

Lord of the Clans (WarCraft #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,054 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Lord of the Clans (Warcraft, Book 2)
Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Clans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Clans

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb
Warcraft
6th out of 45 books — 52 voters
Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
163rd out of 247 books — 271 voters

More lists with this book...

Markus
Apr 19, 2015 Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, warcraft
"I have no fear of killing those who deserve to die. I do not choose to kill those who do not."

I hate orcs.

Really, they’ve always been one of my least favourite fantasy races. I grew up with Tolkien’s books, and he was the first to shape my perception of all the traditional fantasy races. Later, when I played games such as The Elder Scrolls, the orcs, while different from Tolkien’s, were still too twisted and ugly and mindless and brutish for me to sympathise with them in any way. And other fant
Ahmad Sharabiani
Lord of the Clans (WarCraft #2), Christie Golden
Julia
Jan 17, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone.
"Kagh! Bin mog g'thazag cha!"

Translated to human tongue, this means: (view spoiler) And with these words, I fell in love with the Orcs, their culture, their beliefs and this book.

Golden has a gift. She wove the tale of Thrall's childhood, his succession into power and his grand leadership with skill and grace. This book made me cry. It is rare for me to shed tears over a book, although I have been known to slam some shut in indignation or throw them a
Rachel
Dec 17, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warcraft
Christie Golden writes Horde characters extremely well as I first discovered in Rise of the Horde. Lord of the Clans is the best Horde-based book I've read in the World of Warcraft series. This is Thrall's story from birth to Warchief. No shortage of legendary Horde characters here--Durotan and Draka of the Frostwolf Clan, Grom Hellscream of the Warsong Clan, Drek'Thar, shaman of the Frostwolves, and Warchief Ogrim Doomhammer of the Blackrock Clan. Thrall's captor, Aedelas Blackmoore, is a perfe ...more
Michael Crews
Jan 02, 2010 Michael Crews rated it really liked it
Инна Гецова
Страхотна книжка, която прочетох почти на един дъх. Толкова завладяваща и интересна, че човек не усеща кога е прочел цели 100 страници, без да спира. Давам пет звезди на "Повелителят на клановете" книга втора от поредицата "WarCraft". Трал е един велик герой от света на фентъзито и за мен, вече е един от любимите ми персонажи. Един нов образ на създанията Орки. Книгата заема място като една от любите ми книги. Чете с лекота и силно запленява!
Haakan
Oct 14, 2015 Haakan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-bookshelf
I thought that Lord of the Clans by Christie Golden was a great book. The book is one of the many books in the Warcraft series which is based of the Warcraft video game series. I love the Warcraft series and I especially like this book because it is the backstory to one of the most important and my favorite character Thrall.

The story begins in the land of Azeroth, a land populated by humans, dwarves, orcs, and many other races. The orcs are weakened and are losing their war with the humans. On o
Cherrie
Feb 05, 2016 Cherrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, wow
I sometimes try to criticize the book I'm reading. Usually I can't come up with anything(except when the book is so obviously horrible that even I can see it), but at least I'm able to put down the book and think for a while.

With this one, I just couldn't.

I started this book a few weeks ago, but I couldn't continue because I was too busy. I picked it up again yesterday, thinking that I would be able to finish this (relatively) thin book in no time. And I did. Not because the story was short, bu
Antonia Ivanova
Mar 20, 2016 Antonia Ivanova rated it it was amazing
Read in one day, this beauty had me build a tremendous respect for orcs. They are noble and wise creatures and Thrall's character was portrayed so tremendously strong. Christie Golden did a great job at that!!
Raquel
Dec 28, 2014 Raquel rated it really liked it
So far, I love this book. Golden depicts her villains well, though at times their evil is rather ham fisted. Blackmoore as a drunken moron plotting to use Thrall to propel his political career is appropriately dispicable. I feel like Golden is attempting to give him complexity through the alcoholism, but it mostly falters as Blackmoor is either evil or pathetic. Usually both.

I do love her portrayal of Thrall and Taretha, though I wish we could SEE more of Taretha's intellect and sarcastic wit sh
Klub_Titan_Atlas
Apr 07, 2016 Klub_Titan_Atlas rated it really liked it
Glavni akter priče je ork Thrall kojeg su odgojili ljudi. Ne, nije ovo priča o ljudskoj dobroti i razumijevanju. Upravo suprotno. Thrall je rob kojeg se iskorištavalo u borilačkoj areni zbog njegove snage i ratničkih vještina. Uz pomoć jedine osobe koja ga nije gledala kao ogromno zeleno čudovište i spleta okolnosti koje su išle u njegovu korist, on je uspio pobjeći i pronaći svoju vrstu. Otkriva tko je i što je, tko su mu bili roditelji i svaća veliku dužnost i čast koju su mu ostavili u naslje ...more
Adam
Jul 07, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Pros: For fantasy, Golden is an excellent storyteller. The rise of Thrall as the leader of the orcs (and basically the Horde) follows along the lines of a Ben-Hur / Spartacus / Gladiator type epic saga. Great fiction!

Cons: I don't have anything terrible to say about the book. It is intended for teenagers - but I knew that before reading it.

Overall: I'd recommend this book to any fans of WoW or any fans of fantasy looking for a new series.
TL Jeffcoat
Jun 14, 2011 TL Jeffcoat rated it really liked it
This story is not only emotional, it's fast moving. Exciting adventurous and well written. This is a wonderful story about how the most powerful and wisest ruler of the Horde came to power. This story is so good, you can travel to these exact locations in the book inside a dungeon in the MMO. Yeah, it has a dungeon focused on portion of this story. That's how pivotal it is to the entire world of Azeroth.
Sam Gaume
Apr 26, 2014 Sam Gaume rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tchlrn-307
Lord of The Clans is another book based off of a popular video game series. It does not appeal to everyone, but I thought it was an outstanding book. The main character is an orc named Thrall and is a slave to the humans. He is trained to be a gladiator and fight and kill other orcs in captivity. Thrall decides that he should rally all of the other slaves and break out of their internment camp. Thrall becomes the leader of the biggest orc clan and recruits many others to fight by his side. The t ...more
Colleen
Jul 04, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: wizards
So far very pleasantly surprised about this series of books. This one perhaps more than the last one I read, Day of the Dragon. It is able to be more of a standalone book, then really required reading after you've played some of the game.

To tell you how good this is, makes me almost want to try out an orc character, but I've been Alliance too long maybe to test that out.
Francisco
Jun 14, 2015 Francisco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pocas veces he odiado tanto a un villano en un libro...
No soy fan de Warcraft (y sin conocer casi nada del folclor de esta saga), entendí perfecto la historia y me encantó.
Esta es una excelente novelización de un videojuego, se nota que la escritora estudió a fondo el mundo de Warcraft, ya que cumple como un producto para fans y a la vez para extraños en el universo warcraft y que buscan una buena novela fantástica.
El libro es fácil de leer, es corto, entretenido y tiene frases que aunque las d
Ben
Jun 12, 2009 Ben added it
I recommend this book to anyone that likes fantsay. This is baout a othe end of the 2nd war between the humans and the horde. A human have find a baby orc and has train him to be a warrioir, a gladiator, and a slave. However Thrall the orc escape from the humans and has reclaim his rightful place the horde as their warchief.
Andy Laishes
Mar 01, 2012 Andy Laishes rated it it was amazing
I really like the plot of this book, it shows you how Thrall came to be Warchief and shows you the conflicts he goes through. It is well written with twists and turns. It shows how Thrall reunites the clans and puts the Orc race in the correct direction, not one of war and ravage, but one of peace and intellect.
Ryan Nicholson
Sep 15, 2011 Ryan Nicholson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Warcraft Fans
This book was amazing!!! The story was awesome following Thrall and his rise to be Warchief of the horde. This book gave me laughs and tears and as playing Alliance made me feel sorry for the way humans treated the orcs. Brilliant read highly recommend it for anyone into warcraft lore.
Aik Koh
Aug 03, 2012 Aik Koh rated it it was amazing
Favourite book of the first three books of the Warcraft series. It's a standalone story about a young orc and his rise to the Warchief to lead it's people. Author simply wonderful in expressing the emotions of the protagonist and it's slow rise to power. Read it almost 3 times.
Angel Baron
Mar 03, 2016 Angel Baron rated it it was amazing
great one !
Daley
Jul 14, 2009 Daley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warcraft
As if I couldn't love Thrall anymore, this book showed me that I could. His life, his struggles, his accomplishments. He shows us clearly that there is REAL good in the Horde. This book also shows many evils of the humans. Wonderful read.
Steen
Aug 21, 2009 Steen rated it really liked it
I play the online game so it was sort of interesting to learn more about one of the characters in it. This even prompted me to go to the instance that follows Thrall's escape from Durnhold. Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Raymond Lee
May 30, 2012 Raymond Lee rated it it was amazing
I finish this book when I was in cancun. It talk about the life of thrall on how he rise to power. Golden is a outstanding writer, I never found the wow into reading and I don't know if it's her writing or the story but now I love to read.
Hugo Saraiva
Aug 01, 2010 Hugo Saraiva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This book is about the life of the great Horde Warchief Thrall. What his parents went through, how he was raised by the humans and what he went through to get to where he is now. Great Book.
Carol
Apr 29, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Really well-written insight into Thrall's past, psyche, and what drives his need for leadership. Well-rounded characters all around and a villain in a lovely gray area.
Ken Badertscher
Apr 11, 2011 Ken Badertscher rated it it was amazing
My favorite Warcraft book. Golden does a brilliant job of describing the birth of the Horde, and making the Orcs... uh, human? Well, realistic and believable.
David
Nov 01, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Amazing story of Thrall and his early years. Makes me respect the leader of the Horde that much more! (He still is leader in my eyes!) For the Horde!
Robert C.
Apr 10, 2011 Robert C. rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my favorites of the warcraft series. I loved it so much that i finished it in 4 days!
Lavenza
Aug 07, 2012 Lavenza rated it liked it
A touching and inspiring story, one of Golden's best works. Truly loved Taretha and all she did for Thrall.
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn
More about Christie Golden...

WarCraft (4 books)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)

“It is a fool who repeats the same actions expecting a different outcome.” 7 likes
“One can not always believe what one hears.” 2 likes