Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Last Guardian (WarCraft #3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  4,072 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
In the mist-shrouded haze of the past, long before the beginning of recorded time, there stood the world of Azeroth. Every kind of magical being strode the countryside among the tribes of man, and all was at peace -- until the arrival of the demons and horrors of the Burning Legion and their baneful Lord Sargeras, dark god of chaotic magic. Now Dragons, Dwarves, Elves, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by Pocket Books/Star Trek
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Last Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Guardian

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb
Warcraft
5th out of 45 books — 54 voters
Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenThe Umbrella Conspiracy by S.D. Perry
Video Game Novels/Trades
111th out of 246 books — 278 voters


More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Markus
Apr 19, 2015 Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, warcraft
All the shards, all the pieces of history, known and unrevealed, spiraled down the tower or rose from its dungeons and flowed into the man who had been the Last Guardian of Tirisfal. The pain was great, but Medivh grimaced and accepted it, taking the energy and the bittersweet memories it bore with equal measure.

Anduin Lothar, Llane Wrynn, Garona Halforcen, Gul'dan the Warlock and Medivh himself. I've finally met some of the greatest legends of the Warcraft universe!

A lone young apprentice is se
...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3), Jeff Grubb
عنوان: آخرین نگهبان؛ کتاب پنجم - وارکرفت 3؛ نویسنده: جف گراب؛ مترجم: فرزانه زمانیان؛ علیرضا زمانیان؛ تهران، ایران سخن، 1388؛ در 272 ص؛ شابک: 9789648046021؛ عنوان دیگر: وارکرفت: آخرین نگهبان؛
صفی از قهرمانان با قدرت خدایگونه در خلال اعصار درگیر جنگی پنهانی با لژیون آتش
ازراث برپا بود... نگهبانان تیریسفال، صفی از قهرمانان خوفناک با قدرتهای خدایگونه، هر یک در خلال اعصار به تنهایی درگیر جنگی پنهانی با لژیون آتش بوده اند. تقدیر «مدیو» متولد شدن به عنوان مهی
...more
Amin
با دنیای وارکرافت ناآشنا نبودم. بالاخره یه زمانی بیشتر از الان بازی میکردم و بازیش رو دوست داشتم. میدونستم کتاب داره اما همیشه فکر میکردم که کتاب از روی بازی نوشته شده است. وقتی کتاب رو شروع کردم فهمیدم که اشتباه میکردم.

قبل از شروع مجموعه حقیقتا حس خوبی بهش نداشتم و فکر نمیکردم ازش خوشم بیاد اما در مجموع دوستش داشتم. هر چند پایانش به نظرم یه خورده سرهم بندی شده بود. ترجمه کتاب روی هم رفته روون بود اما عالی نبود. خیلی جاها کلمات به نظرم بهتر بود که ترجمه بشن در حالی که بدون توضیح به صورت نوشتار ف
...more
Sara Kamjou
May 21, 2016 Sara Kamjou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فانتزی
در مورد کتابهای فانتزی نوشتن خیلی سخت است. خیلی دوستش داشتم و خیلی لذت بردم. اگر وقتم اجازه میداد، میشد کتاب را بیوقفه خواند.
-----------------------------------------
جملات ماندگار کتاب:
همیشه از میان دو حق انتخاب، سومی را برگزین.
...
در حال حاضر به هیچ نژادی علاقه ندارم.
...
نقش تو هر چه هست، همان چیزیست که خودت انتخاب میکنی.
...more
Mamen B.
May 23, 2016 Mamen B. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2/5

Cuando salieron los tráilers de la película de Warcraft, me puse a buscar en qué libros y personajes se iban a basar. El caso es que leí que era en este, pero después me enteré de que en realidad se basa un poco en El ascenso de la Horda y otro poco en El último Guardián, y ya había empezado a leer este, así que por eso el orden inverso xD

Al acabar este libro, me doy cuenta de por qué la película no puede estar basada sólo en este libro, y es que me faltan personajes: los de la Horda.

En gener
...more
Pooyan
May 22, 2016 Pooyan rated it it was amazing
با اينكه خبري از صحنه هاي جنگ واركرفتي تو اين كتاب نبود و اتفاقات اون مدلي خاصي نيفتاد ولي روند فوق العاده اي داشت كتاب ، اون حالت رازآلود بودنش خيلي خوب بود ، كلا به سختي ميشد كتاب رو گذاشت زمين و چقد كركترا خوب بودن
Nichole * The Book Shredder
Aug 03, 2011 Nichole * The Book Shredder rated it really liked it
For WoW Lore lovers, this will be a fantastic book. For those of you who might not love the lore as much but are still interested in it, you might like this. For those of you who just want to read a fantasy book, I would not recommend it. I love WoW's lore therefore, I enjoyed this book a lot. I'd give it 3.5 stars considering it's not the best Warcraft book I've read but if I have to choose from 3 to 4 stars, I choose 4. The book can be slow at times but if you truly love lore, you will enjoy ...more
Matt
Jun 26, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Last Guardian is an odd book. I'm not sure someone who hasn't played World of Warcraft would find it interesting as a stand alone fantasy story. For any WoW player however, especially those who have been inside Karazhan within the game, it's a fascinating look inside the lonely tower. Jeff Grub has done a delightful job expanding on the lore of the characters and the strange tower. Which is impressive, as the novel was written years before the dungeon appeared in-game. WowWiki has a section ...more
John Da conceição
Jul 01, 2016 John Da conceição rated it liked it
First off, and I don't know if this is true of all editions, there are an unforgivable number of spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes in this book. I don't know what kind of editing or proof-reading this thing went through, but I know it wasn't very good.

Once you get that past that, the story itself is actually quite serviceable. It is interesting to see a very early look at the Warcraft lore, because, yes, the lore here is still very much in its infancy with a lot of the Warcraft arcana
...more
Branaugh
Dec 02, 2009 Branaugh rated it it was amazing
The Last Guardian is a fantastic book, well written with great description and a plot that holds your attention to the very end. It also has some fascinating takes on magic, which are very useful to those who enjoyed the Warcraft video game series, as well as the popular MMORPG, World of Warcraft. I personally found myself underlining some of the text for later use. Anyone who enjoys Warcraft, or simply a good fantasy novel, should read this book.
John
Oct 03, 2007 John rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Warcraft fans
Shelves: fantasy
This is the best book from the Warcraft universe that I've ever read, and that's saying something. I love all of Richard A. Knaak's books very much, but this one manages to trump even those. It was absolutely gripping...It was even difficult to tear myself away from it when my stomach was rumbling in hunger.
Daley
Jul 27, 2009 Daley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lover and World of Warcraft gamers
Recommended to Daley by: Phoenix
Shelves: warcraft
The beginning confused me, but after the prologue and first chapter, I was sold. The story was great and it keeps you at a distance until the end. The only thing that I would change or add to it is that I would have loved to know even more about Khadgar. I read the entire book in about a day. I couldn't put it down. Wonderful book.
Cacophonic7
Nov 16, 2010 Cacophonic7 rated it really liked it
If I could give this book 3.5 stars I probably would have. I love the subject matter, but I felt that something was missing. I wanted to learn more about Medivh's mother and all the Council of Tirisfal itself. However, it was a fun glimpse into what the Guardian of Tirisfal is all about.
Barakiel
Jul 27, 2016 Barakiel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Loved this book. Reminded me of my time in a mage tower when I played Dragon Age :)
Definitely recommend if you love powerful mages, spells and fantasy.
I'm impressed by the quality of these books. I really did not expect the writing to be very good, but it's more than passable.
Christian Mello
Jul 25, 2010 Christian Mello rated it it was amazing
Jeff Grubb, you are the man for this novel. Medivh was every bit the cool guy I thought he would be.
Cole
Aug 19, 2014 Cole rated it liked it
I always thought orcs were inherent to Azeroth. I was mistaken. The title of the next WoW expansion, Warlords of Draenor, makes much more sense now.
David
Dec 05, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
This book was great! Gave great insight into one of my favorite raid zones in WoW... Just wish the lower levels were implemented at one point. Medivh is a great character with tons of lore!
Sam 8-3
Oct 12, 2007 Sam 8-3 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Warcraft fans
i dont know why but this is my favorite warcraft book. I just got sucked into the book. and i read it in a short while!
Victoria Austen
Aug 04, 2016 Victoria Austen rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect a Warcraft book to make me cry but it did....
Fatih Y.
Jun 11, 2016 Fatih Y. rated it really liked it
I have never liked Medivh anyway...
Francesca
Dec 04, 2016 Francesca rated it liked it
I must admit I was expecting more from this book. Overall it's an easy and decent read but I felt a bit let down as the book progressed. If you are a World of Warcraft fan I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Camilo Rodríguez Gaviria
Nov 27, 2016 Camilo Rodríguez Gaviria rated it it was amazing
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Seby Trofin
Oct 13, 2016 Seby Trofin rated it it was amazing
Excellent style of story telling with great details and offering pleasant fast-paced action. Loved it!
Ivona
Oct 12, 2016 Ivona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opět zajímavá četba a nahlédnutí do života Medivha. :)
Evgeni Kirilov
Oct 07, 2016 Evgeni Kirilov rated it really liked it
This was a nice one. I am not sure if the writing was better than what I saw in the previous books in the series (though I think it was), but I liked the plot better. Plus, it has Medivh.
Alan
Oct 02, 2016 Alan rated it liked it
Shelves: warcraft
A young mage called Khadgar, from Dalaran, is sent to Karazhan to become the mage Medivh's apprentice, and report back to the ruling council on Medivh's actions. Time within Karazhan is not linear, and Khadgar experiences many visions of the past and future.
Medivh himself is the guardian of Azeroth, but conceals a dark secret which Khadgar must unravel, eventually leading to a master-apprentice battle.
An enjoyable story, especially when Grubb describes Khadgar's visions and speculates on the na
...more
Adalberto Robles
Oct 05, 2016 Adalberto Robles rated it really liked it
La verdad me sorprendió mucho este libro, esperaba muy poco de el y la profundidad de Medivh, de Khadgar y hasta de Garona hacen que la lectura sea ágil y a la vez interesante.
Iri
Jun 30, 2016 Iri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blizzard
Dala jsem si opáčko téhle knihy snad i kvůli té šílené hysterii kolem filmu. Ne, rovnou říkám - nebudu srovnávat knihu a film. Každý, kdo má soudnost ví, že jde o dva naprosto odlišné příběhy parazitující na jednom světě.

Co však chci říct je, že i když mám Warcraft i WoW moc ráda a nedávno jsem s guildou zase řádila v Karazhanu, tomuhle knižnímu "Kázetku" se vším, co obnáší, cosi chybělo. Možná to chybějící bylo hlubší propracování děje i vedlejších postav? Větší průzkum samotné věže? Nevím.

Ja
...more
Nelo Giraldo
Oct 13, 2016 Nelo Giraldo rated it really liked it
Al Principio casi lo dejo. No me gustaba lo que estaba leyendo, pero tenía que conocer mejor esta historia y la verdad me sorprendió lo bueno que se puso el libro después. Historia recomendada para los amantes de world of warcraft!
Julia
Jeff Grubb has a beautiful style of writing. I really appreciated the way he would word things, the analogies and metaphors he would create and, all around, his prose. He's not just a good writer, he's also a good story teller. He can make you feel for the characters, see how they became who they are, all without manipulating the reader. By the end of this story, I felt like I had grown along with each character. And they all did grow: some for the better and some for the worse.

I was just reall
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer

Other Books in the Series

WarCraft (4 books)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)

Share This Book



“When given a choice between two, choose the third.” 10 likes
“What is he like?" asked Khadgar, his voice almost pleading.
"Like everyone else, I suppose." said Moroes. "Has his druthers. Has his moods. Good days and bad. Like everybody else."
"puts his pants on one leg at a time," said Khadgar, sighing.
"No. He levitates into them," said Moroes.”
1 likes
More quotes…