Start by marking “Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)

Ice Run (Alex McKnight #6)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,689 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Alex McKnight is in love. Even though he met Natalie Reynaud, an officer from the Ontario Provincial Police, under difficult circumstances, they share a common bond of solitude, as well as the same nightmare - they?re both cops who buried their partners. It's Alex's first real relationship in years, which in some ways is terrifying. But Natalie has her own fears to deal wi ...more
Audio
Published June 1st 2004 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Ice Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Run

Roberta
Feb 25, 2011 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the books in the series and I'm starting to feel like Alex McKnight is a real person.

There is a paragraph in this book that I marked to quote.

"I'd known enough liars in my life. You can't be a cop without meeting plenty of them. For the worst of them, the truly hopeless born liars, maybe this is how it all starts, by keeping a tight lid on your own secrets. By never revealing the truth about yourself. When you've learned to control the truth, then you can start bending it. Just a
Andrew
Jan 01, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darn you, Steve Hamilton!!

How am I supposed to get any work done around the house once I've started one of your Alex McKnight novels?? (*) They are almost impossible to put down, and Ice Run is no exception.

Who knew that there was so much mystery to mine in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?? (Yeah, OK, Henry Kisor & Joseph Heyward did, but we'll leave them to reviews of their own works.) Even if you do occasionally foray across the border into southwestern Ontario? Yes, your characters - Alex
Matt Allen
Dec 18, 2014 Matt Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I think it's safe to classify me as a fan of Steve Hamilton's by now. Ice Run is money in the bank and is a good example of why.

The Alex McKnight series has created memorable characters and locales that are so easy to fit right back into, a warm glove. The series (and Ice Run) has a pitch-perfect balance of setting, plot, and dialogue. The pace crackles but doesn't move so fast that you can't feel the cold in your bones, the intrigue of the plot, and the emotion of the characters. In fact, there
Jennie
Jun 15, 2009 Jennie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this as an audiobook on the drive up to Mackinac for summer vacation. I freely admit the narrator (whose name eludes me) didn't help the book's case, but here's my review, in summary.

Oh, my, GOD. She looked at me with THOSE EYES. GOD DAMMIT ALL! Son of A bitch. Good guy! Bad guy! Family feud! THOSE EYES! Blood. Blood! Spinning! THOSE EYEEEES! That face! GOD DAMMIT ALL!

Perhaps if I'd read other books in the series, the characters might've resonated more; I suspect that, overall, th
Richard Brand
it is not clear how the romance will end. The couple were together at the end of the book. But it is open ended meaning Hamilton can get a different girl friend for his hero if he needs one. It is in a James Lee Burke style. Independent guy. Ex cop. Doesn't always think first. Has some very loyal and helpful friends. Hero gets beat up badly. This is a love interest. The Grant boys get the raw end of the deal all the way around. The Deus ex machina of a solution is a video tape. I wanted to finis ...more
Jon
Sep 19, 2014 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting page-turner, but not up to the usual standards of the series. Motives, characters, and plot are just a touch too unbelievable for me. Alex has gotten himself beat-up a few too many times, and Natalie has just gotten annoying as his eager-then-reluctant girlfriend. Still, the cold, stormy, remote, life-threatening Upper Peninsula is almost a character in itself, and scary as it is, it's far less dangerous than that dark, ocean-sized lake out there.
Haw Kuang
Aug 04, 2015 Haw Kuang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time to read Hamilton and enjoyed it very much. But it revealed too much of the previous books in the series, which make it less desirable for me to read them. Perhaps I should have read it from #1 in the series. Anyway, it was a good read and glad to find a new author to follow.
wally
Sep 29, 2013 wally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hamilton
1st from hamilton for me. ice run, (alex mcknight, #6). paperback, 2004...dedicated to nonna and donna

story begins:
in a land of hard winters, the hardest of all is the winter that fills you with false hope. it's the kind of winter that starts out easy. you get the white christmas, but it's a light snow, six inches tops, the stuff that makes everything look like a postcard. the sun comes out during the day. you can take your coat off if you're working hard enough. the nights are quiet. the stars
Carol
Jul 07, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton is one fine writer.His writing is compelling and one of those need to finish one more chapter kind of book.This was the sixth in his Alex McKnight series. Alex an ex cop from Detroit now living in Paradise Michigan.He owns some cabins that he rents out and is the kind of guy who helps friends in need.This time it is his lady love that we met in Blood Is In The Sky.How McKnight manages to survive the troubles he finds himself in is a mystery.It is winter in Paradise and Alex has to find ...more
Melanie
Hamilton writes really well, but some things in his stories really irritates me. In this book, Natalie Reynaud was all over the place and really annoying. Also, I understand it's a story, but there are some things an ex cop and or a current cop wouldn't do. As I like Hamilton's writing style, I will continue to read the books and finish the series; I just hope the rest of the series is put together a little better (not all over the place) and a little more believable.
Ed
Aug 17, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Alex McKnight series.

Alex McKnight has begun an affair with Ontario policewoman, Natalie Renaud. While meeting in a hotel they encounter an old man who leaves an old hat at their door and freezes to death that night. Going to the funeral gets Alex badly beaten and started on an investigation that leads to a connection between the old man and Natalie's family that goes back to Prohibition.
Mary Sue
Nov 21, 2014 Mary Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What possesses me to read Steve Hamilton's books in the winter? Set in the UP if Michigan and Ontario there is enough snow, wind and ice for three Iowa winters. And that is saying a lot. I think I liked this one best of the series. Personally I think a major star of this series is Alex's truck. He takes it out in the worst weather and puts an enormous number of miles on it.
Harry Roger Williams III
Weird, strange, bizarre - not just the precipitating event but the extended families of bad guys and the history that resonates into the present. Arrayed against this is our flawed hero, Alex McKnight, with his character and courage, and his few friends, solid but merely human. Keeping up with them is exhausting but rewarding - rewarding as always.
Franchesca
Dec 07, 2012 Franchesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love their crime/suspense book with a touch of romance
Recommended to Franchesca by: my uncle? who gave this book as a xmas gift for me?
Shelves: whodunit-plots
For some reason, it reads like a romance novel which incidentally is also a crime/thriller novel. Critics have written that Hamilton has written it in a masculine way though for the life of me I couldn't see how. I'm glad though that he did not create a simpering woman for his male protagonist (who I think is rather wise and mature, in an oddly hilarious way. I understand though that not everyone would see it the same way I do) who did not faint at the merest sound. I have to say though that the ...more
Dean W
Sep 13, 2012 Dean W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is the 6th of the Alex McKnight book series it was the first book I read and it was not the last Steve Hamilton book I read. I continued to read another three of his books because I really enjoyed this first one, "Ice Run", and with each book I continued to learn about Alex McKnight even more. When you think things can't get any worse for one person in life they get worse for Alex McKnight. He is confronted by an elderly man he doesn't remember by the elderly man sure does. Bein ...more
Erin
Nov 04, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Steve Hamilton. I'd read anything he wrote. The sense of place is so overwhelming in his books that you just feel like you are inhabiting the Upper Peninsula. Love. Another great mystery. I enjoy getting to know the protagonist more each time I read one of this series.
Brian Clapper
Jun 07, 2013 Brian Clapper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Joyce
Another in the mystery series set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Picks up right where the previous book left off. Alex McKnight has gotten involved with an officer from Canada and discovers her family has a shady past. Enjoyable.
Melliott
Feb 23, 2015 Melliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books aren't typical mysteries--they're more about people around Alex (and Alex himself) and what he/they get themselves embroiled in. I liked this one for the new romance for Alex, although it seems like a rocky one.
Annthelibrarian
Aug 10, 2009 Annthelibrarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Alex McKnight has a new girlfriend, Natalie, a woman who is an Ontario Provincial Police officer. Their relationship is very sudden, very intense. But of course if you’ve read previous books in the series you know that Alex is going to find his way to trouble- and as often as not through no fault of his own. This time trouble begins at the Ojibway Hotel in Sault St. Marie, Michigan (the Soo) when an old man watches Alex while he’s there with Natalie. Later he delivers a hat to them saying, “I kn ...more
Kirk
May 16, 2014 Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex McKnight is not the brightest (or luckiest) hero of a mystery series, and this story has him getting beat up and shot at too many times to be believable. Well written but convoluted story.
Jared EVHS Victoria
This book was suspenseful from start to finish. Ice Run was the first of the Alex McKnight series that I've read, which makes me want to start from the very first book.
George Steininger
Alex is seeing Natalie. Huge snow storm causes many problems. They meet old man, Simon, who leaves them a hat and a note. Simon dies in storm. Natalie's dad was killed by Simon in 1930.Natalie is 12 when new step dad, Albert DeMarco joins family. He abuses her until mother finally gets him to leave. Mackinaw Island is scene of gunfight at end.
Rich Van Ollefen
Would have been a 4 star, but the ending seemed a bit confused, and I thought the motivation for the villain was pretty underwhelming
Marianne
Mar 14, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After the winter we have just had, this book shivered me all the way to my bones!
Sheesh, why would anybody want to live in Sault St. Marie?

Great book.
Lenore
Jun 28, 2015 Lenore rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always give Steve Hamilton's books a good sold 3 stars. He is an easy well-written read with nicely developing characters - a good book for a sleepy rainy day.
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
I am a big fan of Steve Hamilton and am working my way through the entire Alex McKnight series. I've liked them all ... they are generally quick and interesting read. Perhaps there are simply too many of them and they start to run together, but this one just didn't pass the test for me. It seemed a little forced to me, a bit contrived, a bit too much. I have two more to read and they'll be on a summer day when I want to get a quick read done at the beach.

That said, Hamilton's Lock Artist is one
Lo9man88
Nov 09, 2015 Lo9man88 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm starting to like this series very much, Natalie is a crazy chick Alex is still More crazier than her ,seriously this guy will do anything ....
JoDee
Mar 28, 2015 JoDee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a good read for the 4th of July, I highly reccommend this tale where snow buries more than just the bodies.
Laura Shannon
My least favorite of this series so far, but it was still pretty good.
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Mercy Falls (Cork O'Connor, #5)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Sorrow's Anthem (Lincoln Perry Series #2)
  • Vanishing Point (Sharon McCone, #23)
  • Sugartown (Amos Walker, #5)
  • Cliff Walk (Liam Mulligan, #2)
  • At the City's Edge
THE SECOND LIFE OF NICK MASON, the start of a new series, will be out in May, 2016.

(Working on the next Alex McKnight book right now!)
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)