No Cure for Cancer

No Cure for Cancer

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  23 reviews
An uproarious and lacerating meditation on life--and death--by a celebrated new voice on the comedy scene. Leary employs his ferocious wit and sharp intellect to confront society and its ills and forces us to face the issues we are all most afraid of. "Absolutely brilliant . . . the real cutting edge of American comedy."--The Boston Globe.
Published October 16th 1992 by Anchor

To ask other readers questions about No Cure for Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Cure for Cancer

Sam Burwell
I was a big Leary fan until I was introduced to Bill Hicks.
Tommy
Basically, Denis' routine in writing, so the use of BOLD LETTERS to express his moments of shouting don't convey the energy and faux, but fun, anger of Leary's early stand-up.

I prefer to hear or see Denis in action. I think he was aiming for 'performance artist' status here by publishing his material a'la transcription, but it loses something in translation. This material requires Leary's attitude, voice, and manic energy to sell it. Skip the book, find the CD or DVD instead.
Carol
Jul 30, 2008 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I'm a big Denis Leary fan ("Rescue Me" = Best. TV. Show. Ever.) but reading him isn't quite the same as seeing him. The snark doesn't fully translate to the written page. To boot, a lot of the references -- to Kitty Dukakis's drinking and CD players as the height of technology -- are way outdated since this was published in the early '90s.

Still, it's Denis Leary. And he's brilliant. I'll read/watch/buy whatever he's offering.
Jack Gattanella
Actually reading this book, which is basically the special of the same name Leary did in the early 90's, made me think he did NOT rip off Hicks as much as everyone says he does. There's extra material here of the same vein and, for me, Leary and Hicks were what I call apples and oranges growing on the same farm. They had misanthropic, fuck-you humor and insights on pop culture and life in general, but to me the big difference is in delivery - Hicks was a bit calmer, more contemplative, the moonc...more
Molly
Made me laugh so hard I was shaking while reading it on the subway. So much so that people around me started asking me what I was reading.
Joe
3.5 stars, really, but not enough to push it up to 4 stars. Much as I enjoy Denis Leary's aggressive insult comedy, it's very situationally specific (as all comedy is, to some extent, but his particularly so), and without some quite particular cultural reference points, a lot of his jokes would fall flat. So if you're feeling nihilistic, if ever life gets you down, then by all means get into this material. Otherwise, it's just exhausting.
Joe DeRouen
Hilarious book, Leary at his very best.
Brian Costin
I loved this in the nineties when it came out. I though Denis was irreverent, shocking, and very funny. Then, in my constant research and love of standup, I discovered Bill Hicks. Bill Hicks, who died right before this came out. Bill Hicks, whose jokes flood this book. Bill Hicks, who was smarter and funnier than Leary could ever dream of being- although Denis is definitely the better actor. There are often overlaps in comedians' thoughts and hearts, and I am sure that Bill and Denis may have sh...more
Kaethe
I don't know if I would find this so amusing now, or if I would be amused with whatever he's working on now, but at the time I thought he was brilliant.
Jennie
The "script" version of his famous stand-up routine. I was in love with him when it came out and still kinda am. Angry Leary at his best with many jokes he has referred to over the years in other film and tv programs. Geared more toward the die hard fan or up and coming stand-up writer looking for performance pointers. Crazy cool.
Ian
May 12, 2011 Ian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This is supposed to be genre-changing material, but reading it many years after it was written it feels a bit stale. Also there's only so much I can find funny about drug use as a non-user.

There are some good bits but I ended up skimming the last part of the book.

Hohum
Govinda Parasrampuria
I did not really enjoy it. Read it during a train journey to kill time, so no regrets.
It had a few funny moments but mostly a guy boring with his stand up gig.
Would not recommend this to anyone, better books still out there.
Iuliana
it's a few years since I read this, and i remember really looking forward to it. I thought it was dreadful, maybe i just didn't get it. I love a good rant, but this was definitely not one of them.
Subu
Not really great...stand up comedy should never be read...lots of stuff on drugs which became a bit repetitive...this was however the first book I read on my iPad
Rachna
Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. Funny in parts. But there's a reason it's called stand up comedy - you're not supposed to read it.
Kaplan
to actually read this is retarded...He did an entire stand up comedy on it. Unfortunately, I've read it.
Jamie Sigal
It's just like reading the album of the video of the live show. Good fun for a long bath.
Vincent Eaton
Amusing in parts, from 20 years ago; written down stand-up.
Karen
Not as good as why we suck. But fun quick leary
Rosie
funny
typical Denis Leary stuff
Tracy
just not that funny to me.
Traci
May 04, 2009 Traci added it
laugh out loud funny!
Russel Grundy
Russel Grundy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Rachel Wild
Rachel Wild marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Christopher Milnes
Christopher Milnes marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Life (Contains: "Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" / "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" / "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" / "Claw Your Way to the Top")
  • The Golden Gizmo
  • How to Beat Up Anybody: An Instructional and Inspirational Karate Book by the World Champion
  • The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger
  • The Rants
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • Hollywood Nocturnes
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
Denis Colin Leary (born August 18, 1957) is a Golden Globe- and Emmy Award-nominated American actor, comedian, writer and director. He is known for his often angry comedic style, and his chain smoking. Leary is currently the star and co-creator of the television show Rescue Me.
More about Denis Leary...
Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid Suck On This Year: LYFAO @ 140 Characters or Less Merry F#%$in' Christmas Rescue Me: Uncensored: The Official Companion Comics Come Home VI