Start by marking “Patton (Great Generals)” as Want to Read:
Patton (Great Generals)

Patton (Great Generals)

From Patton's boyhood battling dyslexia and becoming an avid reader, to his leadership strategies that modernized the U.S. army, Alan Axelrod delivers a fascinating account of Patton's life and legacy.

Unabridged.
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published March 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published February 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Patton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patton

Hal
Nov 11, 2014 Hal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of the Great General series books. This one on General George S. Patton, Jr. was superbly done by Alan Axelrod. Though brief it covered Patton's career and character in an easy flowing informative way. I was surprised how many of the incidents covered in the book were paralleled in Academy Award winning movie with George C. Scott as Hollywood can tweak things beyond recognition and truth in such productions. Despite all the controversy surrounding the general and his quirks and ...more
Jim
Sep 07, 2009 Jim rated it liked it
I feel a bit funny giving a 3 star rating to a book about a 4 star General. Anyway, Patton by Alan Axelrod is a more interesting book than his book on General Omar Bradley. Perhaps the two men are so very different that Axelrod was forced to write a rather dull account of Bradley's life but a much more lively account of Patton's life.

This book was less of a biography and more of a series of diary and letter quotes with respect to the timeline of events in Patton's life. Since much of the book's
Paul Lunger
Sep 15, 2015 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Axelrod's "Patton: A Biography" is a quick & definitive look at the life of General George S. Patton, Jr who is perhaps one of the more complicated people to ever fight in a major US war. The book goes in depth about Patton's "elitist" upbringing from his days at VMI to West Point & gets into his lust for being in war & fighting for something he believed in. Throughout this relatively brief biography, Axelrod goes in depth about the personality & the tactics of Patton as wel ...more
Hans
Jul 11, 2016 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summing up an entire person's life is always a challenge. Patton, like many leaders and Generals before him was much more nuanced than how he is often portrayed. His biography reminded me a lot of General Sherman, another extremely capable and competent leader. The shocking similarity is that both Patton and Sherman on the surface appeared confident but under the surface were both deeply insecure. Patton worked hard to keep a lid on those insecurities by presenting a polished image, however they ...more
E
Mar 09, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A concise yet insightful biography of the triumphant American WWII battlefield commander, General George S. Patton Jr.

General George Smith Patton Jr. was a bold, inspirational American World War II military leader. Known as “Old Blood and Guts” to his troops in Europe, Patton had no equal as a military tactician. As military historian Eric Larrabee put it, Patton had the unique ability to “think like an army” and possessed a nearly mystical, intuitive understanding of battlefield tactics. As com
Debra Pawlak
When I started this book, I knew next to nothing about General George Patton. I learned a lot about him, (some good, some bad), but I felt that this particular book didn't dig deep enough for me. It focused primarily on his military life and mentioned very little about his private life. If you just want to learn a little about the General then this would be a perfect book for you, but if you want an in-depth story of his life (and unusual death) then I would recommend that you look elsewhere. Th ...more
Steven Voorhees
Apr 22, 2015 Steven Voorhees rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He was one of those men born to be a soldier." Dwight D. Eisenhower's assessment of General George Smith Patton, Jr. In Axelrod's concise biography of Patton, I saw very powerfully this cradle-to-grave certitude. Both the gung-ho warrior and the complex human being Patton was are on full display. This contradiction shines most brightly in Axelrod's description and analyses of the military campaigns Patton either led or fought in (or both). Patton was the greatest military LEADER since Ulysses S ...more
Lauren Rev
Jan 23, 2016 Lauren Rev rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Interesting overview of the main points in Patton's career and personal life. Quoted extensively from letters and diaries written by Patton and his contemporaries. Most interesting was the final chapter which fit Patton's initiatives, and their development into today's Army. However, book was in someways very similar to the the Academy Award winning movie & the follow up TV movie, Last Days of Patton. In fact, you can see both of these and skip the book.
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
General Patton was truely an amazing military personality; born to be a soldier like Arjuna in the Bahagavad Gita. He claimed to remember all of his past lives and in all of them he was a warrior. When he faught the Nazi's in Africa he remembered being a Spartan fighting the Greeks in the same place, a thousand years ago. He was also a prolific poet, with no apologies to anyone for either his past life memories or his poetry.
Jeff
Jan 23, 2017 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome quick read about a man so revered, hated, and ultimately admired. There has never been another General quite like him for his leadership, tactical aptitude, and caring of subordinates and dare I say we might never see such a man again as society wouldn't be able to handle his brash nature. Having served in Germany and visited ol' Blood and Guts a few times I can say I respect this man for what he did even when people didn't agree.
Geoffrey Hazelton
Jan 23, 2016 Geoffrey Hazelton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very balanced biography of the hero of WWII. It shows the impact he has had on today's Army via his leadership, tactics, and training methods. The book is certainly not hero worship as it describes in great detail the shortcomings of the man. I would liked to have seen the use of maps in the book. When you read it keep a good world atlas handy.
Roxanne
Sep 07, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book on Patton I read. He was really a kick butt kind of guy and he was afraid of nothing. He freed my father in 1945 from Germany POW camp and my father said thank you and shook his hand. His camp would have killed otherwise.
John
Jul 20, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn about Patton I think this book could be the best. It examines his life from birth to death to fully characterize him and then explain his exploits. It is also a very good and interesting read.
Tom Darrow
Aug 08, 2016 Tom Darrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this brief biography of Patton. Axelrod includes enough detail for this to work as a biography but doesn't dwell on every bit of minutia. His writing style is easy to read by experts and novices.
Matthew
Jun 29, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patton is undoubtedly the most intriguing general of modern history, and rapidly becoming my favorite. An excellent mini biography that focused on the leadership philosophies and professional achievements of this great man.
Christopher Brehm
This was an excellent overview of Patton's life. You saw what made this man and drove him to greatness.
Kyle
Mar 21, 2010 Kyle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Brian
Steven Shane
Dec 17, 2016 Steven Shane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steven Shane by: Humboldt County Library
Hagiographic whitewashing. Presenting single minded ambition as sagacity. Contorting misanthropy into mysticism.
Sorin
Dec 29, 2007 Sorin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
brilliant analysis, among other interesting tid bits, of Patton's approach to problem solving "an imperfect plan today is better than an excellent one tomorrow"
Mark
Mar 19, 2009 Mark rated it liked it
Interesting look into a successful general.
Leo
Oct 23, 2008 Leo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read the Chinese one but English
I am gonna buy one...
Shane
Sep 06, 2007 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I READ A BOOK!! It was very good. I may read another one...
Dave Wallstrum
Dave Wallstrum rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Harry
Harry rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2011
Garrett
Garrett rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Huw  Winston
Huw Winston rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Eugenio
Eugenio rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2009
Harrismatte
Harrismatte rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • General Patton: A Soldier's Life
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt (The American Presidents, #32)
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • Robert Oppenheimer: A Life Inside the Center
  • Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor
  • Patton: The Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945
  • Tamerlane the Earth Shaker
  • Once Upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett--Young War Correspondents and Their  Early Vietnam Battles
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth
  • The Few: The American ""Knights of the Air"" Who Risked Everything to Fight in the Battle of Britain
  • Nathan Bedford Forrest: A Biography
  • 1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls
  • With Wings Like Eagles: A History of the Battle of Britain

Great Generals (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Andrew Jackson
  • Bradley: A Biography
  • Custer: Lessons in Leadership
  • Eisenhower: A Biography
  • Grant: A Biography
  • LeMay: A Biography (Great Generals)
  • MacArthur