Start by marking “The Levitationist” as Want to Read:
The Levitationist

The Levitationist

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Stewart O'Nan writes: "The Levitationist is brilliant and sinister, full of the marvelous and unexpected, wild yet measured, with the surreal, hermetic logic of dreams or prophecy. 'It's either our imagination or the plumbing,' one of Brandon Hobson's searching and tortured characters guesses, and he's right: it's the continual fairytale transformation from the mundane to ...more
Published October 28th 2005 by Triple Press /Ravenna Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Levitationist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Levitationist

Kirk Ashworth
Feb 20, 2008 Kirk Ashworth rated it liked it
Hobson's book wants to rise up, but these interconnected vignettes have the weight of bad dreams and apocalyptic freefalls. Still, at moments, this is the way of ascension.

The stories hold together because they are centered on a nuclear family - father, mother, son. The people have no names and little history. This is as it should be, for these people stand for every one of us, anonymous witnesses of our times.

There is the father who is keeping the secret of his mouse-sized mistress from his fa
Ginnetta
Sep 24, 2008 Ginnetta rated it it was amazing
From The Levitationist I learned history will repeat itself no matter how sexual.
Brandon, thank you for the confirmation of my thought. A fine book indeed that I totally Dig! Also, kudos for the design and layout of this book. I hope The Levitationist becomes available for sale again soon. (online at least)
Brandon  Barrett
Aug 17, 2008 Brandon Barrett rated it it was amazing

This book was incredible. Simple storytelling muscle backed up by great imagery and a completely amazing sense of the supernatural. I like Brandon Hobson's work a lot and cannot wait to see where he goes from here.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Sep 16, 2008 Lolly K Dandeneau rated it it was amazing
The Levitationist was like a living dream. Brandon Hobson's writing is darkly poetic and vivid.

"The next day, when he went to the backyard, he noticed a beautiful apple tree had grown in the spot of her burial. When he got closer, he could see that the apples were really tiny ears."

The Levitationist is a dream spiraling into a fairy tale, I absolutely loved it. His writing fed my mind and brought art alive in my head. Hobson must have amazing visions in his night wanderings. Surreal experience!
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Beck Carlson
Beck Carlson marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Erasamo Da rotterdam
Erasamo Da rotterdam marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Atom Richards
Atom Richards marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Civil Mechanisms
Civil Mechanisms rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Marco
Marco rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Kristakaye
Kristakaye marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Bryant
Bryant marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Doug O'Connor
Doug O'Connor marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Chatay
Chatay marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Rui Cruz
Rui Cruz marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Rebecca Rutledge
Rebecca Rutledge rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Civil Mechanisms
Civil Mechanisms rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Sal
Sal marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Rach Kaup
Rach Kaup marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Ian Scuffling
Ian Scuffling marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Emma Aylor
Emma Aylor marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Justyna
Justyna marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2012
Jeanne Briggs hobson
Jeanne Briggs hobson rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Afafia
Afafia marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Brandon Hobson is the author of Desolation of Avenues Untold, Deep Ellum, and The Levitationist. He is the recipient of a 2016 Pushcart Prize and his work has appeared in Conjunctions, NOON, Post Road, The Paris Review Daily, The Believer, New York Tyrant, and elsewhere.
More about Brandon Hobson...