Start by marking “Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage: Unlocking the Secrets to Life, Love and Marriage” as Want to Read:

Based on Mark Gungor's wildly popular seminar, "Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage(R)" builds on Gungor's success with tens of thousands of couples who credit him with enriching, and even saving, their marriages. By using his unique blend of humor and tell-it-like-it-is honesty, he helps couples get along and have fun doing it. Through exploring a variety of subjects incl ...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Atria Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage

Vikki
Dec 12, 2016 Vikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I watched some of his talks on YouTube and found them humorous and slightly helpful in understanding how my husband thinks. I thought the book would be the same but I found it very sexist. Could not finish.
Elena
Jul 31, 2011 Elena rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Awesome! I learned a lot from it the first time I read it. Vowed to read it again when I was married and that's exactly what I did.
Dawn Hartley
Jul 19, 2014 Dawn Hartley rated it it was amazing
Read this book! After you read the book attend the seminar! Mark Gungor is awesome in the marriage field. It was funny and amazingly correct in the way men and women think. Great book!
Katie
Jun 07, 2017 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me years ago by my dear aunt who felt it would give me great advice for how to deal with people in general, as I was nowhere close to being married myself. Now that I'm engaged, I picked it up as a way to take that great advice to heart in my most important earthly relationship as we prepare to get married. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and found the advice very helpful and encouraging. I know many people will balk at the "unpopular" opinions he has, but how many of thos ...more
Orsi Nagy
Feb 14, 2017 Orsi Nagy rated it really liked it
at some points I thought I wouldn't finish it ever. then, it turned out to be pretty accurate and spot-on.
Katarina
I read the book because my husband's chaplain gave it to him for some reading before our wedding. If there's a book around, I'll read it. The chapters on Marriage physics are worth a read, as are some of the chapters towards the end about fighting fair. In the remaining chapters, you're definitely reminded you're reading something written by a Christian. Depending how you feel about that, either you'll be able to get beyond the religious aspect or you won't.
Priya Vishwanath
Feb 07, 2017 Priya Vishwanath rated it did not like it
This book is blatantly sexist. I'm 51 pages into the book and the writer's idiocy is at full display. You defy your own theories since your left brain speaks anything but logic. Now get lost and fuck yourself.
Karen Strumlak
Oct 20, 2012 Karen Strumlak rated it it was amazing
I first saw Mark Gungor on YouTube describing the male and female brain and could not stop laughing. When I started reading the book, I had to recommend it to my granddaughter. We are both newlyweds and she is a new mom. We have learned to laugh together at our husbands, turning frustration into more laughter and loving them more. GREAT book!

Although I have read this book completely I will always use it as a reference to laugh while being married. Whenever those moments are a bit rough I read a
Rohan Rajiv
May 04, 2013 Rohan Rajiv rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
I read this book for 2 reasons - because I'm getting married and because I loved Gungor's famous YouTube video on men's and women's brains. The book was okay - very good in parts and pretty okay for the most part.

Gungor is occasionally scientific and structured but for the most part it centers around his observations as a pastor. I also think it didn't help that he wrote this for Christians. There were way too many bible, Jesus references for a non Christian.

That said, it's worth reading. I can'
Shaelah Ariotti
Aug 22, 2014 Shaelah Ariotti rated it did not like it
Some sound and useful ideas and insight, but a lot of the psychology is nothing new to me having read more specifically on this topic, and I had already attended the seminar (a lot of the book is verbatim content). I do find it irritating to purchase 'further reading' when it's... not.

Aaaand some of his theology is .... questionable at best. A bit eisegetic. I find him to be quite a problematic presenter, and his attitude to women incredibly derogatory.

I wouldn't generally recommend Gungor bas
Sophie
Jun 25, 2014 Sophie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I recommend it to anybody married or not or even single. Because even if I believe I, myself, is happily married, there is a lot of things in there I did not know or did not realise. It makes me want to be better than before.

And funny enough - even though the book tittle is "Laugh your way..." - I can confess I cried at some parts because I though that Mark really went into the deep stuff that matters and I felt it touched my soul.
I really believed that some things t
Jay
Mar 04, 2010 Jay rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jay by: Amy
While this book gets a little preachy, especially toward the end, and it does include some stereotypes that don't hold in every case, I feel like I learned a lot useful things about relationships and the way people think. The author is pretty entertaining in his discussion. What I really liked best, though, is learning some general ideas about the differences in the ways men and women think, see, etc. And, as the author says, even if nothing else changes, by learning something, your attitude cha ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Jun 26, 2008 Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-review, 2008
This is another book about relationships and how men and women don't understand each other and what they can do to fix that. The author does add some humor and scripture passages so it is a little different than "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" and the like.

The book is good and has lots of good information, I just thought the title was misleading. I realize that it is based on the author's seminars by the same name (Laugh your Way...) but misleading all the same IMHO.

I would probably
Marissa
Sep 01, 2012 Marissa rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely not a laughing matter. While it does have it's humorous tidbits in it, Mark Gungor talks about practical ways to improve your marriage. He has a tell-it-like-it is type of honesty. He talks about skills and things couples should do to achieve success and have a long, healthy, and happy marriage. Over and over, he makes excellent points. Loved this book. I just might read more books by him.
Allison
Mar 05, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
This is a Christian based relationship book, and I am not Christian. In the first half , the religious comments were actually interesting when looked at as historical reasons for cultural behaviors. The second half got a bit preachy, but I stuck with it because he had some really solid reasons behind what he was saying. I'm glad I did. The entire book was full of really good, solid, helpful advice. Yes, I've put quite a bit into practice, and yes, it's working.
Colleen
Jun 07, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
We watched the 6-week seminar that he offers via DVD at our church, and it's great to listen to for anyone who is currently married or plans on getting married...ever. It's not necessarily ground-breaking advice, but it's common sense in a world that's obviously lacking it. A great, comedic perspective.
Dan Binder
Apr 27, 2016 Dan Binder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on marriage

Have read many books on marriage, this is most certainly among the best. Pastor Gungor left nothing out. Having 30 years of marriage to the same bride, I can attest to the excellent and accurate counsel found in this book. Absolutely recommend this to all couples.
Desirae
Mar 29, 2010 Desirae rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! You will laugh your head off. But it is so insightful. We kept looking at eachother and asking "Is that true?". He really understands both sides and breaks it down without bias. Girls the best bit was about men and their 'nothing box' Love it! The video of his conference is even better as you get his personal spin on the information.
January
Mar 03, 2015 January rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
This book was terrible. I honestly didn't find much humor in it at all. I didn't find anything in the book that I didn't already know. In fact I found some of his "advice" downright offensive and insulting. So if you are a moron and you want someone to tell you how to have "great sex" have at it.
Whitney
May 04, 2012 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: improvements
This book is amazing. The title is true, this book is hilarious. Mark Gungor truely has a way of seeing both side of what each person in a mariage needs/wants. I kept asking my husband if certain things he wrote about were true. My husband keep reassuring me they were. This book is very insightful and I will re-read it and probably look at certain sections of the book often.
Kim
Feb 08, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
This book made some good points but nothing earth shattering. I've seen Mark Gungor's clips on You Tube and he is hilarious! His delivery is much better in person than in the written form. I'm glad I read it but I didn't LAUGH my way through this book, as I expected I would.

I do recommend looking up his video clips though!
Renee
Mar 29, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it
Infrequently corny and at one point excessive, but almost entirely revealing and extremely practical. Mark Gungor has used his own longtime marriage and career as minister and marriage counselor to provide insight into how differently men and women think and percieve the world around them and what we need from the other.
Nathan
Apr 04, 2008 Nathan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians, newlyweds
Shelves: books-from-work
A breezy read. Not exactly groundbreaking advice, but decent stuff in there for dating couples/newlyweds. I'd give it to Christian couples at a wedding shower. Also, the author makes for a great interview.
Traci Jones
Aug 17, 2009 Traci Jones is currently reading it
I just started reading the book but I watched his DVDs and he is one heck of a teacher on understanding the opposite sex. The best Ive ever heard in my life. The great thing is that he is such a comedian that he makes you laugh all the way through the lessons.
jamie whitney
Amazed at the author's candor and detailed information about the "hidden" issues in marriage.

Recommend to ALL whether married or single, male or female, Christian or non-Christian. This author addresses the issues from all points of view.
Alexandra
Mar 18, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not married but a relationship is a precursor of a marriage. Usually people in a relationship make same mistakes as married couple. I wish there is a book similar but more oriented toward people in a relationship
Judy
Apr 30, 2010 Judy added it
The author's humorous, practical conversational style helps reinforce the concepts that men and women really do think differently, and that God does know what He is doing. It is our job to pattern our lives according to His wisdom and instructions.
Ewald
Aug 24, 2015 Ewald rated it it was amazing
I want to buy each of my children a copy of this book, and prescribe it to every couple I marry. Excellent advice for a happy marriage! I just wish it was easier to get this book in South Africa. Had to import mine from the USA.
Julie Williams
Nov 25, 2014 Julie Williams rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. It is hilarious, yet very serious about helping married couples grow closer together. There are so many truths and bits of wisdom, all wrapped with giggles and laughs. It was a benefit and a joy to both my husband & I.
Griff
Nov 01, 2009 Griff rated it really liked it
Participated in group video sessions initially - hilarious and insightful. Read the book afterwards. To read the book only would not be as good
  • Desperate Marriages: Moving Toward Hope and Healing in Your Relationship
  • Cracking the Communication Code: The Secret to Speaking Your Mate's Language; Love for Her, Respect for Him
  • Every Heart Restored: A Wife's Guide to Healing in the Wake of a Husband's Sexual Sin (The Every Man Series)
  • For This I Was Born: Aligning Your Vision to God's Cause
  • A Couple's Guide to Communication
  • Healing the Masculine Soul: How God Restores Men to Real Manhood
  • The Language of Love: How to Quickly Communicate Your Feelings and Needs
  • Freedom from Toxic Relationships: Moving On from the Family, Work, and Relationship Issues That Bring You Down
  • Marriage on the Rock
  • The New Rules of Marriage: What You Need to Know to Make Love Work
  • Love Sense: The Revolutionary New Science of Romantic Relationships
  • Love Busters: Overcoming the Habits That Destroy Romantic Love
  • Therapeutic Communication: Knowing What to Say When
  • Life Without Strife: How God Can Heal and Restore Troubled Relationships
  • How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process
  • Pray Big for Your Marriage: The Power of Praying God's Promises for Your Relationship
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection

“You want him praising the Lord in the morning, you put a smile on his face tonight.” 9 likes
“You know what really fries my Puerto rican pancakes?” 3 likes