Start by marking “The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit Mini Edition” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit Mini Edition

The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit Mini Edition

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  2,523 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
The long-running gross-out bestseller!

Since its first publication in 1993, this book has charmed readers young and old with its unconditionally candid tale that raises bathroom humor to new heights. Splendidly straightforward and comic, it is at first unbelievable and then irresistible.

When Little Mole looks out of his hole one morning-PLOP!-something lands on his head. W
Published March 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit Mini Edition

Manny
Sitting next to a seven year old boy at dinner the other day, the conversation, as it so often does in these circumstances, turned to the interesting subject of poo. Jenkin proudly informed me that he had received a copy of Plop Trumps for Christmas. I was treated to a precis of the rules.

"You might like The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunnit," I guessed. We were both delighted when it turned out that Jenkin had in fact already read it.

"You got it for me from the English l
Chester DeCorgi
This slim but seminal work explores profound questions of the meaning of justice and whether forensic evidence, in matters scatological, can ever produce a satisfactorialy clean judgement.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is the story of a mole who, when he sticks his head up out of the ground one day, is poo'd on and he sets out to discover who did it. It never says "something did a poo on him", instead it says (in brackets):

The mole, being short-sighted, can't see who did it, so he asks all the animals around, but they show him how they do it and he can see that their poo is quite different (and all the while ther
Tracy
Jan 12, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the inspiring tale of a determined little talpid who stuck his head out of his hole and got shat on. Most of us would have just went back into the hole for a period of shame-eating or we would have knocked off the poop and continued to be the obedient prop of the military-industrial dictatorship ruling our world (You don't know Dick!). That's not good enough for this firecracker hero who candidly confronts the usual suspects. This is no poop noir--no snappy comebacks or curvy dames to ma ...more
Kirk
Oct 27, 2012 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kirk by: Elizabeth Hubbard
Have you ever had one of those days. You know, like this:

Or this:

description

Little Mole has too, as evidenced by the cover of this book. Once your eyes graze that rich imagery, there's no question as to what "it" is in "whodunit." Someone shit on this mole's head, and he'd like to find out who. Thus begins the enthralling mystery that makes up the most substantial portion of this story.

But mystery isn't enough for today's discerning readers. Children need education, the important stuff like literacy skills
Manny
Jul 16, 2010 Manny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any small child who likes crude bathroom humour
Recommended to Manny by: a small child who liked crude bathroom humour
I've been working on our speech-enabled children's Internet game Minion Dominion for the last few months, and it's really helped me regain contact with my inner six year old. (Some people I know claim I have never lost contact with him... I'm not quite sure what they mean by that). Anyway, it has among other things reminded me how much small children like bathroom humour. "Poop" is currently the 24th most popular command, and "pee" isn't far behind.

description

Det var det fräckaste! is a good example of the
Joan Oegema
Oct 15, 2009 Joan Oegema rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a science teacher
Recommended to Joan by: no one
I found this book entertaining, although I wondered why I was reading and enjoying a book about an animal wandering around with poop on his head, learning about other animal's poop. From an educational standpoint, this would be a good science book about various animal skat, etc. However, I found the ending of the book absolutely wrong. We do not teach our children two wrongs make a right but this book sends that message. For this reason, I must give the book a low rating. I'm sure the author cou ...more
Plch
Sep 22, 2015 Plch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another child is potty training and this book is again popular in our home...
Our Library Mornington
I laughed out loud when It first read this book. It appealed to my sense of the ridiculous and naughty. It is the story of a little mole who woke up one day and found a turd on his head. With all the passion of a 19th century explorer he sets out to find to whom it belongs. Does it belong to a rabbit? Does it belong to a goat? And so it goes on, animal, after animal as the mole examines each sample and asks if this is where the poo came from?

In the end, with some help form some buzzing flies, th
Aideeeee
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA.

Éste también me lo leí de contrabando en el pasillo de revistas, primero porque no podía creer la ilustración de la portada, luego porque no podía creer que el tema fuera "la caca" Y LUEGO PORQUE VIENE AMBIENTADO CON SONIDOS PARA DESCUBRIR EL SONIDO QUE HACE EL EXCREMENTO SEGÚN EL ANIMAL QUE LO EXPULSA.

Irresistible.

Va sobre un topo que anda investigando quién ha hecho popó en su cabeza, entonces recorre toda la granja acusando a los animales y estos le muestran sus heces p
Francesca
I bought the 'plop up' edition (that was the name the publishers gave it, I have not made that terrible pun up myself) of this book for my nephew a few years ago after having stood in the shop giggling at the book, myself, for about 5 minutes. He found it hilarious and absolutely loved it and so did I. A really fun and enjoyable reading experience for young children and adults with childish senses of humour.
Sue Lyle
Jun 10, 2014 Sue Lyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book for P4C. It is wonderful to help children consider their views on justice. Is revenge sweet? Should wrong-doing always be punished? What will be the consequences of revenge? What does it mean to be humiliated? What happens if we don't respect others? These are just a few of the questions children aged 3-11 have come up with in response to this story.
Daniel Guilfoyle
The French version of this story is by far the best, the French have a certain knack for capturing the sounds of the different animal's excrement. A must read, even if you don't understand French!
Iri
Jul 18, 2015 Iri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Úplně jsem toho krtka pochopila... Jen aby se mu to zase nějak nevrátilo. :D
Toni Warden
Nov 23, 2011 Toni Warden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My gorgeous autistic son loves this book and laughs uncontrollably whenever he reads this to me. I love the story, I love his laughter and I love the way the story connects me to my son.
Roya
Nov 12, 2016 Roya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abjection in kids' literature - interesting but simple, too simple. too obvious.
Racheal
Huh, well that was different
Elys
Jun 07, 2012 Elys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One morning a little mole pokes his head out of his underground house to see if the sun has risen, when somebody has the audacity to relieve themselves on his head! Too short-sighted to spot the culprit, the little mole goes on a quest to catch them, the evidence atop his head throughout. The book follows his inquiries of a variety of different animals, all of whom prove their innocence by demonstrating the way they do it. Finally, two flies authoritatively identify the offending faeces as havin ...more
Soobie's heartbroken
Oggi son andata a ripescare questo dalla mia biblioteca. Volevo portarla al doposcuola dove lavoro per invogliare un ragazzino a leggere. Sì, il soggetto è un 2004 ma l'argomento cacca e relative funzioni corporali lo interessano ancora molto. Purtroppo il ragazzino non era in vena e allora l'ho tenuto in salvo nel mio zaino. Possiedo l'edizione pop-up e mi seccherebbe vederla rovinata da mani rapaci.

Che dire di questa deliziosa storia? Beh, è un vero e proprio giallo in cui la protagonista, la
Dolly
Aug 17, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2011
This is a very funny book about...poop. Children seem to love the topic and I must admit, the story got a few chuckles from me as well. I couldn't believe at first that the mole had a big turd on his head, but it's true. The narrative is fun, with hilarious illustrations of animals pooping, and the onomatopoeia of the poop coming out is laugh out loud funny. And the ending is very fitting. We enjoyed reading this book together and laughed uproariously (somewhat at the expense of my poor husband, ...more
Caroline
Oct 22, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never met a child who hasn't found this book delightfully naughty! It takes a few pages to realise why the mole is so upset, but once the penny has dropped, expect lots and lots of giggles. It’s the story of a little mole who wakes up to find something land on him, "It looked a little like a sausage, and the worst thing was that it landed right on his head." I won’t spoil the surprise for you here, but prepare to be simultaneously disgusted and amused in equal measure.
The structure is a
Skylar Burris
Sep 01, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I have now been asked to read this book fourteen times. I checked it out just three weeks ago. So I give it a reluctant four stars, because of the joy it bring my children. It makes me, however, squirm.

If you’re looking to teach your children the essential skill of identifying the various feces of a wide array of animals, then this book will be of assistance. This was a very gross little book about a mole who must solve the mystery of who pooped on his head. Of course my children loved it, and
Janey
Was having a conversation at work while simultaneously flipping through the book and it took me about ten minutes to realize, oh, this is all about poo.

The mole, by the way, is a little scamp. If I ever got the nerve to use this for a gross-out storytime, I feel like I'd need to have a brief conversation with the kids to firmly establish that no, it's not acceptable behavior for us human beings to poo on someone's head out of pure spite. (Also, the mole is not a human being, and neither is the
Kathleen Dixon
Feb 16, 2016 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
Shelves: children-s, animals
Oh dear. How do I describe this without offending those who think that certain children's books that contain anything to do with bodies or bodily functions are rude ...?

Think of the meaning of 'doing your business' when it involves a trip to the bathroom. And read no further if you can't think of anything amusing.

The mole goes in search, and the reader is shown how the business does not belong to various animals.

I'll say no more. Except that the grandchildren and I laughed our way through this
Shu Xiao
Totally disgusting yet utterly fun. It might not be a book that's good for all. Various animal feces are presented throughout the book.
Craig Baker
Jul 17, 2009 Craig Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it desensitizes the "poop" topic and shows kids that well everything poops. I bought it for my kids and even know a elementary school principal who would share it with the kids at school. Is a fantastic story. Some people just dont get the subject matter and therefore have to give poor reviews on it.
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh. I laughed so hard at this picture book. When little mole sticks his head out of the ground, someone poops on him. He goes around to all his friends to find out who done it. Each animal acquits himself by showing how he poops. Yes it is crass, but it is so funny too. I can't think of a little boy who wouldn't just love this story.
Christie
Mar 09, 2010 Christie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
It was intresting...a story of a mole with poo on his head...with a confusing moral....I think if I understood it the moral of this children's book even the second time I read it, I would have liked it better....sometimes the english confuse me..lol
Mariam
Jul 22, 2009 Mariam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariam by: Kids
I was working in the Library when a cute Kid asked me to read it to him, with a mischief smile on his face
I didn't realize what the story was about until all the kids were cracking up laughing!!
They asked me to read it to them every day,, and I did =P
Ellinor
I haven't had such a good laugh in a long while! Just read it, it only takes five minutes and you won't regret it.
  • Floddertje
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Crocodile Beat
  • Amos & Boris
  • Barbapapa
  • Frog in Love
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus & Pettson)
  • Children of the Forest
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
  • Dolfje Weerwolfje
  • De kleine kapitein en de schat van Schrik en Vreze
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • Ernest and Celestine
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)