Start by marking “The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit

The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,778 ratings  ·  144 reviews
The long-running gross-out bestseller!

Since its first publication in 1993, this book has charmed readers young and old with its unconditionally candid tale that raises bathroom humor to new heights. Splendidly straightforward and comic, it is at first unbelievable and then irresistible.

When Little Mole looks out of his hole one morning-PLOP!-something lands on his head. W
Published March 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit

Manny
Sitting next to a seven year old boy at dinner the other day, the conversation, as it so often does in these circumstances, turned to the interesting subject of poo. Jenkin proudly informed me that he had received a copy of Plop Trumps for Christmas. I was treated to a precis of the rules.

"You might like The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunnit," I guessed. We were both delighted when it turned out that Jenkin had in fact already read it.

"You got it for me from the English l
Kirk
Nov 03, 2012 Kirk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kirk by: Elizabeth Hubbard
Have you ever had one of those days. You know, like this:

Or this:

description

Little Mole has too, as evidenced by the cover of this book. Once your eyes graze that rich imagery, there's no question as to what "it" is in "whodunit." Someone shit on this mole's head, and he'd like to find out who. Thus begins the enthralling mystery that makes up the most substantial portion of this story.

But mystery isn't enough for today's discerning readers. Children need education, the important stuff like literacy skills
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is the story of a mole who, when he sticks his head up out of the ground one day, is poo'd on and he sets out to discover who did it. It never says "something did a poo on him", instead it says (in brackets):

The mole, being short-sighted, can't see who did it, so he asks all the animals around, but they show him how they do it and he can see that their poo is quite different (and all the while ther
Chester DeCorgi
This slim but seminal work explores profound questions of the meaning of justice and whether forensic evidence, in matters scatological, can ever produce a satisfactorialy clean judgement.
Manny
Jul 16, 2010 Manny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any small child who likes crude bathroom humour
Recommended to Manny by: a small child who liked crude bathroom humour
I've been working on our speech-enabled children's Internet game Minion Dominion for the last few months, and it's really helped me regain contact with my inner six year old. (Some people I know claim I have never lost contact with him... I'm not quite sure what they mean by that). Anyway, it has among other things reminded me how much small children like bathroom humour. "Poop" is currently the 24th most popular command, and "pee" isn't far behind.

description

Det var det fräckaste! is a good example of the
Tracy
This is the inspiring tale of a determined little talpid who stuck his head out of his hole and got shat on. Most of us would have just went back into the hole for a period of shame-eating or we would have knocked off the poop and continued to be the obedient prop of the military-industrial dictatorship ruling our world (You don't know Dick!). That's not good enough for this firecracker hero who candidly confronts the usual suspects. This is no poop noir--no snappy comebacks or curvy dames to ma ...more
Aideeeee
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA.

Éste también me lo leí de contrabando en el pasillo de revistas, primero porque no podía creer la ilustración de la portada, luego porque no podía creer que el tema fuera "la caca" Y LUEGO PORQUE VIENE AMBIENTADO CON SONIDOS PARA DESCUBRIR EL SONIDO QUE HACE EL EXCREMENTO SEGÚN EL ANIMAL QUE LO EXPULSA.

Irresistible.

Va sobre un topo que anda investigando quién ha hecho popó en su cabeza, entonces recorre toda la granja acusando a los animales y estos le muestran sus heces p
Our Library Mornington
I laughed out loud when It first read this book. It appealed to my sense of the ridiculous and naughty. It is the story of a little mole who woke up one day and found a turd on his head. With all the passion of a 19th century explorer he sets out to find to whom it belongs. Does it belong to a rabbit? Does it belong to a goat? And so it goes on, animal, after animal as the mole examines each sample and asks if this is where the poo came from?

In the end, with some help form some buzzing flies, th
Joan Oegema
Oct 15, 2009 Joan Oegema rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a science teacher
Recommended to Joan by: no one
I found this book entertaining, although I wondered why I was reading and enjoying a book about an animal wandering around with poop on his head, learning about other animal's poop. From an educational standpoint, this would be a good science book about various animal skat, etc. However, I found the ending of the book absolutely wrong. We do not teach our children two wrongs make a right but this book sends that message. For this reason, I must give the book a low rating. I'm sure the author cou ...more
Sue Lyle
I just love this book for P4C. It is wonderful to help children consider their views on justice. Is revenge sweet? Should wrong-doing always be punished? What will be the consequences of revenge? What does it mean to be humiliated? What happens if we don't respect others? These are just a few of the questions children aged 3-11 have come up with in response to this story.
Elys
One morning a little mole pokes his head out of his underground house to see if the sun has risen, when somebody has the audacity to relieve themselves on his head! Too short-sighted to spot the culprit, the little mole goes on a quest to catch them, the evidence atop his head throughout. The book follows his inquiries of a variety of different animals, all of whom prove their innocence by demonstrating the way they do it. Finally, two flies authoritatively identify the offending faeces as havin ...more
Caroline
I have never met a child who hasn't found this book delightfully naughty! It takes a few pages to realise why the mole is so upset, but once the penny has dropped, expect lots and lots of giggles. It’s the story of a little mole who wakes up to find something land on him, "It looked a little like a sausage, and the worst thing was that it landed right on his head." I won’t spoil the surprise for you here, but prepare to be simultaneously disgusted and amused in equal measure.
The structure is a
Janey
Was having a conversation at work while simultaneously flipping through the book and it took me about ten minutes to realize, oh, this is all about poo.

The mole, by the way, is a little scamp. If I ever got the nerve to use this for a gross-out storytime, I feel like I'd need to have a brief conversation with the kids to firmly establish that no, it's not acceptable behavior for us human beings to poo on someone's head out of pure spite. (Also, the mole is not a human being, and neither is the
Skylar Burris
I have now been asked to read this book fourteen times. I checked it out just three weeks ago. So I give it a reluctant four stars, because of the joy it bring my children. It makes me, however, squirm.

If you’re looking to teach your children the essential skill of identifying the various feces of a wide array of animals, then this book will be of assistance. This was a very gross little book about a mole who must solve the mystery of who pooped on his head. Of course my children loved it, and
Dolly
Aug 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, humor
This is a very funny book about...poop. Children seem to love the topic and I must admit, the story got a few chuckles from me as well. I couldn't believe at first that the mole had a big turd on his head, but it's true. The narrative is fun, with hilarious illustrations of animals pooping, and the onomatopoeia of the poop coming out is laugh out loud funny. And the ending is very fitting. We enjoyed reading this book together and laughed uproariously (somewhat at the expense of my poor husband, ...more
Michelle
Oh my gosh. I laughed so hard at this picture book. When little mole sticks his head out of the ground, someone poops on him. He goes around to all his friends to find out who done it. Each animal acquits himself by showing how he poops. Yes it is crass, but it is so funny too. I can't think of a little boy who wouldn't just love this story.
Craig Baker
it desensitizes the "poop" topic and shows kids that well everything poops. I bought it for my kids and even know a elementary school principal who would share it with the kids at school. Is a fantastic story. Some people just dont get the subject matter and therefore have to give poor reviews on it.
Mariam
Jul 22, 2009 Mariam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariam by: Kids
I was working in the Library when a cute Kid asked me to read it to him, with a mischief smile on his face
I didn't realize what the story was about until all the kids were cracking up laughing!!
They asked me to read it to them every day,, and I did =P
Christie
It was intresting...a story of a mole with poo on his head...with a confusing moral....I think if I understood it the moral of this children's book even the second time I read it, I would have liked it better....sometimes the english confuse me..lol
Daniel Guilfoyle
The French version of this story is by far the best, the French have a certain knack for capturing the sounds of the different animal's excrement. A must read, even if you don't understand French!
Toni Warden
My gorgeous autistic son loves this book and laughs uncontrollably whenever he reads this to me. I love the story, I love his laughter and I love the way the story connects me to my son.
Huda
I almost fell off my chair laughing ... seriously!
This is probably the most interesting investigation you'd ever read in your life!
Absolutely hilarious!
Meredith
Jun 08, 2013 Meredith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children from 2 years
We have this in Danish and it has been a hit with my boy since he was 2 (now 4). This is a daily staple during our story times. Highly recommended!!
Ellinor
I haven't had such a good laugh in a long while! Just read it, it only takes five minutes and you won't regret it.
Richard
Hmm, the version I read in Korea was titled "The Story of the Little Mole who Knew it was None of His Business."
Lexi
This book is seriously amazing. I'm sure there is an English translation. Go find it.
Martin Treanor
Better in Danish - but still priceless.
Marco Croella
Thriller molto avvincente con sfumature noir. Si viene immediatamente catapultati con il protagonista, una mite e abitudinaria talpa, nel bel mezzo dell'azione, e si viene avvinti nel senso di sfida, rabbia e sete di conoscenza del Protagonista. Con un abile coup de thêatre verrà materializzata la soluzione del mistero, e con un esplosivo finale a sorpresa parteciperemo a un'epica vendetta degna del miglior Dumas. Capolavoro immancabile per poter dire compiuta la propria formazione letteraria.
  • Floddertje
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Dolfje Weerwolfje
  • Amos et Boris
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Barbapapa
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Avocado Baby
  • Jamela's Dress
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Slinky Malinki
  • Het rad van fortuin (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #3)
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
I Wish I Were a . . . I'm Jose and I'm Okay: Three Stories from Bolivia Die Angst der Maus im dunklen Haus Mr Underbed