Start by marking “That Summer Place” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,357 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
It's nothing special on the surface, merely a rambling old Victorian summerhouse on a secluded island, where the sky is blue and the water is clear. Yet after a month at the Rainshadow Lodge, people begin to change --- and fall in love. How else can you account for what happens to the most mismatched, unlikely couples?

There's Beth, who's stuck sharing the lodge with a com
Published July 1st 2008 by Mira (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about That Summer Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Summer Place

Sep 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one!
Terrible, Terrible, Terrible. I picked this book because I love Debbie Macomber and Susan WIggs books. They are almost always a good read. I have to say almost because I just read this compilation. The first story was okay, the second a little less okay, and the third just downright bad. I kept thinking that it had the feel of a Harlequin romance novel instead of the quality of writing I usually expect from these authors. I look to see when they had been written and suddenly a light bulb went on ...more
Leona
Dec 27, 2015 Leona rated it really liked it

Debbie Macomber
Jill Barnett
Susan Wiggs

I liked Old Things by Jill Barnett with the two daughters and the island's "handyman", someone from Catherine's past and will give it a 4 star. Two teenage girls on an island without TV can lead to a boring time. It was about love and memories. Some sexual content but no bad language.

Debbie Macomber knows how to write. Her Private Paradise with two strangers and their children was a fun read. A friend of Beth, a main character, says "God doe
Deborah Vespo
Jul 02, 2012 Deborah Vespo rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Apparently I read it sometime back and have just read it again. This book has three different stories:

Jill Barnett's "Old Things", Catherine revisits a secluded island that her family use to go to every summer. A place where she fell in love with Michael. It's years later and she discovers that he is still living there.

Debbie Macomber's "Private Paradise", Beth allows her best friend to talk her into going to a secluded island for an island getaway that her husband's work is pay
Jane
Jun 03, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: debbie-macomber
I won this book as part of Harlequin's Mothers Day giveaway.

This was a real sweet read that I enjoyed very much. I had never read Susan Wiggs or Jill Barnett but now I won't pass up a book by either of them.

I really loved that all three stories take place at Rainshadow Lodge. In Old Things by Jill Barnett, Catherine and Michael encounter each other on vacation and are given a second chance at the love they had many years ago.

In Private Paradise by Debbie Macomber, Beth and her son Paul suddenly
Jessi
Dec 02, 2011 Jessi rated it liked it
Three stories intertwine at one summer place in the San Juan Islands. The first is "Old Things" by Jill Barnett. Catherine Winslow is a successful woman. She has a great career and two wonderful daughters. But she's been busy, so she decides to take them to the same summer place where she used to go. The same summer place where she met her first love... who is also coincidentally on the island. Duh duh DUH! It's a cute story though. She thinks he's a plumber (sh, he's not). But they end up spend ...more
Kathy
Aug 02, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This three book set centers around the same old victorian house on Spruce Island in Puget Sound. 3 delightful romances by 3 talented authors!
OLD THINGS by Jill Barnett: The story of Catherine and Michael is a deeply romantic journey of a second chance at love with your first love! Loved the character development and back story as well as the local flavor of the island that brought them back together! A MUST-READ for true romantics!
PRIVATE PARADISE by Debbie Macomber: John and Beth's story also i
Toeni
Jul 04, 2015 Toeni rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of three stories that are tied together by a Victorian rental house on a secluded island off the shore of Seattle. Each story has an introductory note by the author that kind of updates the reader as to what the characters have been up to since their story left off. I found this to be a cute little addition that makes the characters feel a little more real.
For me, this book was a quick and fun little read. The plots were a fairly predictable but not in a way that was bo
Jennye
May 24, 2014 Jennye rated it it was ok
I read this years ago when I was obviously less critical, because I remembered it fondly as a charming summer read. When I picked it back up, it read less like a chick-lit beach read and more like a drugstore romance. I was hoping to immerse myself in a little summerhouse Memorial Day vacation read and have to admit I was a little disappointed. The plots were trite and the relationships were rushed and unrealistic. It hovered around 1 1/2 stars but I upped it to 2 for nostalgia.
Carol
Mar 18, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
I liked the first two stories. "Old Things" set up the base story and took us back in time to when the house was in better condition. The third story was too pat. I like the way all three storeis were tied together by the house. I have read other books with a theme tying the stories together and they always felt forced to include the book title. The house tie-in felt very natural.
Massanutten Regional Library
Leslie, Central patron, June 2016, 5 stars:

This book consists of three stories written by three different authors but they are all connected to a beautiful Victorian home on an island. Great read!
Tess
Aug 14, 2014 Tess rated it it was ok
Ugh. I expected more out of this book than I should have. The dialogue was just so cheesy and ridiculous, and the characters lacked any sort of real depth. I like light hearted chick lit, but these stories had me practically gagging at the over the top sweetness factor.
Jill
Jul 06, 2015 Jill rated it it was ok
I love all 3 of these authors but this book wasn't great. The 1st story was good but it goes downhill from there. Don't waste your time!
Marina
Each story is 4 stars so overall book 4.5 stars! Love the concept. Want more stories by these authors set in this place.
Karen
Oct 24, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Some light fun reads.
Catherine
Aug 28, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Loved all three stories and the house that tied the altogether. This was an easy read that I used to break up the Outlanders series.
Sandie Mixa
Aug 05, 2015 Sandie Mixa rated it really liked it
All 3 stories take place at the same house in a beautiful NW coast setting. I loved all 3 story lines and characters. BUT only Macomber's was clean, so I can't truly recommend it to my friends.
Nora
May 14, 2014 Nora rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Three feel-good romances from popular authors. These stories left me with a sigh of happiness & a warm glow from some sweet love stories.
Tammy Pickens
Aug 06, 2015 Tammy Pickens rated it really liked it
A wonderful light hearted read!!
Sharon Gallup
May 22, 2017 Sharon Gallup rated it it was amazing
what a great book for women to read. three authors got to gether to write
three stories that take place on a island. one of those authors is one of my favorite Susan Wiggs . i just read her book The family Tree. this isn't a book for men. what i enjoyed about these stories was
the lack of violence and the combining of family. their ups and downs and the great need for love.
Cherry-Ann
Jun 10, 2017 Cherry-Ann rated it it was ok
Obviously written in an earlier century. Stories did not travel well.
Eva
May 31, 2017 Eva rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the three different stories at "that summer place". Three different love stories all at the same place...nice short reads. light reading.
Cecily
May 13, 2017 Cecily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three different stories by three different authors, the stories take place on the same island in the same house. I liked Jill Bennett story Old Things best.
Darla
Apr 17, 2016 Darla rated it liked it
So this book was an anthology featuring 3 authors I had never read before. I overall enjoyed the whole book that takes place in one summer house over a 3 month period. The 1st book was about Catherine and Michael, and them rediscovering one another after 30 years apart. I was enjoying this story until the end when Catherine began acting like a foolish child over something that, in the grand scheme of things, was not the biggest issue. To be fair though, had Michael just opened his mouth from the ...more
Debbie
Jul 10, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I've read and enjoyed many books by Debbie Macomber and Susan Wiggs. Ironically, their contributions to this anthology were my least favorites. I'd never read anything by Jill Barnett, but thoroughly enjoyed her story. The other contributors left loose ends, included parts of the story when their resolution was clearly taken out in editing, and generally were not good examples of those authors' writing. In particular, it seemed like "Island Time," Susan Wiggs' contr ...more
Reeds
Oct 10, 2016 Reeds added it
Debbie Macomber's - book was better than the other two, but there are books of hers that I prefer over this one, mainly because of the whiny teenager aspect.
Jill Barnett's - story had too much whiny teenager for me.
Susan Wigg's - story is every guy present is willing to make a fool of himself and is out of control of his own actions whenever the Latin sex goddess shows up. Sometimes modern story writing makes characters seem like they'd be better looking than Adam and Eve in the garden. For me,
Nov 26, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book, but I really only liked one of the three stories, Private Paradise by Debbie Macomber. The other stories had potential, but I'm not a fan of how quick the authors move to provocative sex scenes instead of developing a stronger romance with love and attachment. Not all love revolves around the sex and physical attraction. I'm grateful Debbie Macomber kept her story chaste. It probably helped that she had a pre-teen and adolescent on the scene often to keep things toned ...more
Linda
Jul 19, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of short stories. I read to engulf myself in someone else's story, and these three short stories were great, I just wish they were books! What I found most interesting was how they all centered on the same summer house. Apparently the three authors are friends and coordinated the stories this way. They just left me hanging...wondering what just happened as I turned the page and wishing there was a whole extra chapter just to explain the details. Okay for a summer read though.
Lori
Apr 09, 2012 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I liked the idea behind this book, but warning to my goodreads friends - I felt that the stories got a little too graphic in the romance. It is three separate authors writing three separate stories all taking place in the same location. A Summer place is an old/renovated Victorian summer home on an island off the pacific northwest. I loved the location and hope to someday have a month long vacation at one of these types of "summer places."
Glenda L
I just took this book on vacation and it didn't disappoint. I loved the first one ... Debbie Macomber is one of my favorite authors in this genre. The other two stories in the book were fast reads and entertaining. The setting at Rainshadow Lodge in Washington was great ... where dreams are made. This is an old Victorian summerhouse where unlikely people come to fall in love. If you want an easy feelgood read, this is the book.
Linda
Mar 03, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
This book contains three short stories by Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, and Jill Barnett. Each story is centered around Rainshadow Lodge and the people who stay there. The Lodge is a Victorian-style house and is located on Spruce Island, part of the San Juan Islands. Besides the beauty of the island, everyone who stays there finds contentment and love. Three great stories.
  • The Hostage (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #1)
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Making Spirits Bright
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

“now? When she looked at herself she saw her outside changing, growing older, while inside she still felt young. Aging was a strange thing—made you feel like you were wearing a striped shirt and plaid pants. Mismatched. Because you never felt as old inside as you looked on the outside.” 0 likes