Start by marking “Mole And The Baby Bird” as Want to Read:
Mole And The Baby Bird

Mole And The Baby Bird

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Mole finds a baby bird injured and alone he takes it home to look after it very carefully. But soon Mole has the greatest dilemma of all - is the baby bird going to be a pet or is it going to be free? Mole is guided by two carefully observed parents and a kind and thoughtful grandfather into making his final and touching decision.
Paperback
Published September 1st 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published September 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mole And The Baby Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mole And The Baby Bird

This book is about a little Mole who finds a baby bird while he is out one day. He brings the baby bird home, made it a nest and then showed his Mum and Dad. His friends and falimy helped him to care for the bird and it flourished until the day came for him to let his 'pet' bird fly and become wild once more.

This book is relevant to KS1 as it helps to teach them about the differences between wild animals and pets. Also, it touches upon habitats and life process - especially growth.
Jill
This book was not what I imagined my four-year-old, vehicle-obsessed boy loving. For a week he asked for this as his bedtime and naptime read.

It's the story of a small mole who finds a baby bird, brings it home, and raises it well, despite the warnings from his parents that it will be hard work and the bird might die. When the bird begins to flap it's wings to fly, Mole gets scared and builds a cage to keep the bird with him. A wise grandfather cleverly teaches him why a bird needs to fly. Afte
Dolly
Feb 18, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
This is a sweet book about a young mole who finds a baby bird and nurses it back to health. As it grows, he doesn't want it to fly away. Tackles some tough life lessons about letting go as well as not keeping wild creatures penned up. I love that Mole's grandfather teaches him a lesson about what it means to be free and able to soar, without lecturing or scolding him.

The narrative is short and will keep the attention of even the youngest child. The illustrations are lovely and the characters ar
Ashley
teaches a bittersweet lesson
Nicole
Caring, kindergarten. Book about a mole that cares for a baby bird, but to show how much he loves it, he must let it go and fly as it was meant to. The kids are able to understand that mole loves the bird, but the bird is only happy when it can fly. They can tell why mole had to let the bird go. Very sweet story.
Emma
Mole finds an abandoned baby bird and take it home to take care of it. But what will he do when the baby bird starts wanting to fly?

This book made me cry. A mix of "wild animals should be left free" and "if you love something, set it free..."
Barbara
I love this book and the emotion it draws on. My young children enjoy this one over and over again. This is one of my favorite books to read to them. The illustrations are wonderful.
Carolyn Jess-Cooke
I absolutely adore this book. Gentle, touching, and with a beautiful message. I love that it's not particularly geared towards male or female readers - all my children love it.
Monica
Darling story, and the illustrations made it even better. Great expressions, nail in the beak and little bird "tugging" the toolbox---brilliant!
Gail
My 20 month old liked this. I loved the message that wild animals are not pets, and the pictures were beautiful. Worth adding to our library.
Tricia
for that inevitable episode when a child brings home a baby animal to "raise", here is the bibliotherapy. birds are meant to fly. yadda yadda.
Beverly
How such a short story can be so moving is attributable to this author's genius with words. And the illustrator is no slouch either.
Arirak
I bought this because of the illustrations and it turned out to be a great book with a really sweet story.
Hunter
Super cute story!! I loved how Mole wanted to take care of the baby bird and how fast he grew to loving it.
Anina
Emotionally accurate book to explain to children about wild animals vs. pets, and being kind to animals.
Bianca Rae
Love it! I make Mommy and Daddy read it almost every night. It never gets old.
Jillybean
Just a really sweet story. Also has the same illustrator as Owl Babies.
Kara "kc"

I love mole and the baby bird. I'm going to get another book.
Kim
Kim added it
Jul 01, 2015
Noah Edwards
Noah Edwards marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
عاطف منصور
عاطف منصور marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Just Like Me Captain Pike Looks After the Baby Boswell The Kitchen Cat Just Like You Did Christmas Story