Start by marking “Mole And The Baby Bird” as Want to Read:
Mole And The Baby Bird

Mole And The Baby Bird

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
When Mole finds a baby bird injured and alone he takes it home to look after it very carefully. But soon Mole has the greatest dilemma of all - is the baby bird going to be a pet or is it going to be free? Mole is guided by two carefully observed parents and a kind and thoughtful grandfather into making his final and touching decision.
Paperback
Published September 1st 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published September 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mole And The Baby Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mole And The Baby Bird

Ashley Guzman
Oct 14, 2015 Ashley Guzman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was about a little mole that found a baby bird because it was lost and when it grew up the mole didn't want to let it go because he loved it. I liked the book because it was about how this little mole loved the bird. I recommend this book to all people because I liked maybe you would, too.
Oct 24, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a little Mole who finds a baby bird while he is out one day. He brings the baby bird home, made it a nest and then showed his Mum and Dad. His friends and falimy helped him to care for the bird and it flourished until the day came for him to let his 'pet' bird fly and become wild once more.

This book is relevant to KS1 as it helps to teach them about the differences between wild animals and pets. Also, it touches upon habitats and life process - especially growth.
Frank Angulo
Mar 03, 2016 Frank Angulo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was about a mole taking care of a bird.The book was good I kinda liked it because it was kinda silly.I think my friend Nick would like the book because he likes silliness.
Jill
Apr 06, 2010 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not what I imagined my four-year-old, vehicle-obsessed boy loving. For a week he asked for this as his bedtime and naptime read.

It's the story of a small mole who finds a baby bird, brings it home, and raises it well, despite the warnings from his parents that it will be hard work and the bird might die. When the bird begins to flap it's wings to fly, Mole gets scared and builds a cage to keep the bird with him. A wise grandfather cleverly teaches him why a bird needs to fly. Afte
Dolly
Feb 18, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
This is a sweet book about a young mole who finds a baby bird and nurses it back to health. As it grows, he doesn't want it to fly away. Tackles some tough life lessons about letting go as well as not keeping wild creatures penned up. I love that Mole's grandfather teaches him a lesson about what it means to be free and able to soar, without lecturing or scolding him.

The narrative is short and will keep the attention of even the youngest child. The illustrations are lovely and the characters ar
Ashley
Jul 09, 2016 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kid
Adorable
Ariella Waddell
May 17, 2014 Ariella Waddell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sobbed!
Nicole
Jan 15, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-work
Caring, kindergarten. Book about a mole that cares for a baby bird, but to show how much he loves it, he must let it go and fly as it was meant to. The kids are able to understand that mole loves the bird, but the bird is only happy when it can fly. They can tell why mole had to let the bird go. Very sweet story.
Emma
Mole finds an abandoned baby bird and take it home to take care of it. But what will he do when the baby bird starts wanting to fly?

This book made me cry. A mix of "wild animals should be left free" and "if you love something, set it free..."
Barbara
Feb 18, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and the emotion it draws on. My young children enjoy this one over and over again. This is one of my favorite books to read to them. The illustrations are wonderful.
Carolyn Jess-Cooke
I absolutely adore this book. Gentle, touching, and with a beautiful message. I love that it's not particularly geared towards male or female readers - all my children love it.
Monica
Dec 27, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling story, and the illustrations made it even better. Great expressions, nail in the beak and little bird "tugging" the toolbox---brilliant!
Gail
Sep 18, 2009 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My 20 month old liked this. I loved the message that wild animals are not pets, and the pictures were beautiful. Worth adding to our library.
Tricia
for that inevitable episode when a child brings home a baby animal to "raise", here is the bibliotherapy. birds are meant to fly. yadda yadda.
Beverly
Sep 19, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
How such a short story can be so moving is attributable to this author's genius with words. And the illustrator is no slouch either.
Arirak
Jan 26, 2008 Arirak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because of the illustrations and it turned out to be a great book with a really sweet story.
Hunter
Nov 27, 2013 Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute story!! I loved how Mole wanted to take care of the baby bird and how fast he grew to loving it.
Anina
Aug 01, 2012 Anina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Emotionally accurate book to explain to children about wild animals vs. pets, and being kind to animals.
Bianca Rae
Jan 11, 2011 Bianca Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! I make Mommy and Daddy read it almost every night. It never gets old.
Jillybean
May 09, 2008 Jillybean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a really sweet story. Also has the same illustrator as Owl Babies.
Kara "kc"

I love mole and the baby bird. I'm going to get another book.
Rachel
Nov 18, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet.
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Jack Eapen
Jack Eapen marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Manmanscatgmail.Com
Manmanscatgmail.Com marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016