Start by marking “Mole Music” as Want to Read:
Mole Music

Mole Music

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  65 reviews
A spiritual story about the far-reaching effects of private actions.

Mole has always led a simple life, but lately he feels something is missing. When he first hears someone playing a violin, Mole realizes that he longs to make beautiful music, too.

Through practice and patience, Mole learns to play. And even though he plays alone, in the privacy of his underground home, his
Published October 1st 2001 by Square Fish (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mole Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mole Music

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan DoyleFiddler on the Roof by Joseph SteinZin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-PorterMole Music by David McPhail
Violin books
5th out of 117 books — 31 voters
I Ate a Cicada Today by Jeff CrossanZin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossFive Little Speckled Frogs by Nikki SmithViolet's Music by Angela JohnsonThe Punkydoos Take the Stage by Jennifer Jackson
Picture Books About Music And Songs
16th out of 26 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Connie
Mole felt a bit empty, so he sent away for a violin and taught himself to play. We can see what he can't, the world above him, so we can see the effects of his improving music. As he gets to be very good he daydreams about changing the world with his music, unaware that he already has.

This one has simple words and simple pictures to go with it, but a message that is suited for just about any age group. Actually, what it reminds me of is Jordi's Star or maybe The Tin Forest in its message, that y
The Book Maven
An enterprising mole decides to bring more beauty to his life by learning how to play the violin. Oh, if only that were the limits of this ultimately disappointing picture book. The illustrations are gorgeous, but the message is not one that I'd be really enthusiastic for my child to internalize: the mole begins to dream about becoming a concert violinist, performing for queens and presidents, touching peoples' lives and changing the world...

...and then he laughs at himself, talks himself out of
Becca
This is my list of All Time Favorite Children's Books. It has beautiful and symbolic illustrations with the message that one person can really change the world...and not even know about it.
Bambini Travel
Mole Music is perfection. Every now and then a picture book comes along where the words and the illustrations dance in perfect harmony. Paired together they tell a story whose heart, humor, or true meaning can only be understood with both parts. Mole Music is such a book. It is a beautiful story about a mole who hears someone play the violin on TV and longs to make music. He orders a violin and diligently practices in his underground hole every evening. What makes the book magical, is the effect ...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked out this book from the library last week.

Sometimes I feel like Mole. I feel like I work in a tunnel and alone and I wonder if any of the work I do matters. It does matter -- I may never know how -- but it does matter.

What a wonderful lesson for very young children to learn early in life. Listen to your soul and make your own "music". I doubt if many of the children hearing or reading this understand fully that important message, but it is likely they will not forget
Megan D. Neal
Mole spends his life digging tunnels and feels something is missing from his life. One night after hearing a beautiful violin performance on TV, Mole sends for a violin. When it arrives, he is discouraged at first by how badly he plays. But with persistence he builds his skill, and his playing becomes a solace in his lonely life.

Our library does a program called Family Tunes & Tales that we LOVE, where 3 to 5 members of the Memphis Symphony come and play music that corresponds to a book read
Crystal Smith
Mole Music s a lovely picture book about a mole who spends his days digging tunnels. He is happy enough, but realizes that something is missing from his life. When he sees a man playing the violin on television, he is inspired and says to himself, “I want to make beautiful music, too.”

He receives a violin by mail order and teaches himself to play. It takes time for him to master the instrument, but he persists. He eventually learns to play even better than the man on television, and his music ha
Thebruce1314
This is a beautiful book that tells just as much of the story with the illustrations as with the words. It is not only about the healing power of music, but the ability of each individual to make a difference in the lives of others. The words are simple, but the message is deep and meaningful. Is is one to be read more than once.
Jen
I love this book! Mole is simply darling. The illustrations are fabulous and the story laid out in the text is wonderful. It's a great book for showing children (and adults!) that patience provides rewards and that the most important thing in life is enjoying what you do, even if nobody else is around to witness your achievements. In other words, take pride in your accomplishments! I especially liked that unbeknownst to Mole, his music had a positive impact on the world above him. This is anothe ...more
Megan
Cushion Concert, Monticello Public Library, June 17, 2011

Mole learns to play the violin and dreams of someday playing for an audience and changing the world. Unbeknownst to him, his music is floating up above his tunnels and forest creatures, plants, and even opposing armies are listening to his music. A lovely introduction to the power of music.

The library used this book as an introduction to a "cushion concert" where a violinist from the Lafayette Symphony Orchestra came to demonstrate her ins
Allie
This was (an still is) my absolute favorite picture book. It's adorable, the illustrations are simple but magical, and the story is beautiful.
Wooden Horse
I love this book. We don't keep it on the shelf so much anymore because it a bit closer to a library book than it is to a gift book.
Holly Brown
In this book, Mole spends his time digging tunnels. One day, as he is watching TV, he sees somebody playing a violin and decides that he wants to learn to play the violin. He starts out not playing well at first, but he keeps practicing. His violin playing changes the world around him.

I am a musician, so I love that this book is teaching the importance of music! I love seeing how Mole's music changes the world around him.

I would use this book to show my students the importance of music. This is
Ashley Stone
Mole is bored with his life underground. He watches his television one night and sees someone playing a violin so he decides to order a violin for himself. When the violin arrives, Mole plays horribly but as time goes by he gets much better and never realizes that he has an audience above the ground that loves his music. This book would do wonders with a theme of music appreciation or something along the lines of “practice makes perfect.” I loved the idea that the mole was entertaining an audien ...more
Shellie Foltz
I loved this book and I loved sharing it with students when they visited the library.
Carolyn
Mole decides to pursue a new hobby one day and orders a violin. At first, he doesn't sound very good, but as time goes on, his talent and enjoyment both increase. McPhail's brilliant story and illustrations show how much of a difference we make, even when we think nobody is listening.

This picture book made me cry. Maybe it's because I play the violin, but I think it is because of the message of this book. It reminds me that we can never know how many people are affected by the things we do, but
Christyc
Persistence and music and beauty changing the world.
Julie Canter
Wonderful book about creativity!
Jay Bushara
McPhail is prolific as a writer and illustrator; there's hardly anyone whose books are more recognizable. This is one of his best: the sweet and simple story of a mole who orders, learns and assiduously practices his violin for the private joy that it gives him, entirely regardless of the effects his music is having on the world where he cannot see it. With a tree as a microphone. For anyone who's ever spent hours banging on instruments, and wondered where it was taking them.
Trisan
Beautiful
Leona
beautiful story about the power of art to transform lives. mole hears beautiful violin music so decides to learn to play. he practices and practices and gets better and better and he thinks no one hears because he's underground but his music comes up for all the farmers to hear as they work the fields, and eventually soldiers hear his music when going into battle and put down their arms in response to the beauty of his music.
Eloise
Diane Marsh did a prezi using this book, which made it really effective for the 6-8-year-olds in summer reading. The program allowed her to zoom in and discuss the pictures and also had music background. The story is a nice reminder that one person really can change the world--at least his or her personal world.
With 3 small children, I read a lot of children's books, and I'm not going to add them all. But I added this one because I just happened upon it during our last library trip, and I love the juxtaposition of the words and pictures and the overall message about music. And like mole, I play the violin.
Heather Wallen
A simple story, but a great one. This would be a wonderful read for kids just getting into music or to encourage lessons and the ever repeated phrase 'practice makes perfect'. I love that the pictures seem to tell a story of their own, which is a great thing to keep children entertained and sight 'reading'.
Dianna
Mole learns to play the violin in his lonely hole and dreams that he can change the world.

This gets an extra star for the music in the illustrations being real—I recognized snippets from Beethoven's 6th and 9th symphonies and and a lullaby on the last page.
Alyson
Without preaching, the author tells a beautiful story about the power of music. I'm going to buy the book AND CD next because it'll mean more to hear the music (especially to people who don't read notes and know what Mole is playing).
Hope
What a sweet little story full of beautiful sentiment. The illustrations and story were woven together in just the right way to make the story all the more special. One to read again and again.
Krishnabai
This is such a sweet picture book, especially for a young musician. The story is good and the pictures are fantastic - filled with fun details that tell a much bigger story than the words.
MaryJane
I loved this book! What I really loved about this book is how part of the story is told only through pictures, but you have to pay attention from the very beginning.
Fawn
One of my kids picked this out at family reading night at our school library this month. It was beautiful! The illustrations and the story were excellent.
  • The Philharmonic Gets Dressed
  • There Are No Cats in this Book
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • The Cloud Spinner
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more
More about David McPhail...
Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore! Edward and the Pirates Waddles The Teddy Bear Santa's Book of Names