Start by marking “A Doll's House” as Want to Read:
A Doll's House

A Doll's House

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  58,133 ratings  ·  1,851 reviews
One of the best-known, most frequently performed of modern plays, displaying Ibsen's genius for realistic prose drama. A classic expression of women's rights, the play builds to a climax in which the central character, Nora, rejects a smothering marriage and life in "a doll's house." A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.
paper, 72 pages
Published February 21st 1992 by Dover Publications (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about A Doll's House, please sign up.

Hadrien Jaubert Personnally, I only found three references: in the first act, when Nora lists the presents she brought for her children, then when she compares her…morePersonnally, I only found three references: in the first act, when Nora lists the presents she brought for her children, then when she compares her children to dolls ("My sweet little baby doll"), and finally, in Act three, when she acknowledges that she was considered as a doll by both her father and Helmer.
There is also the Christmas tree, which could fit because it symbolizes Nora's position in her household, but all in all, these elements are quite meager to write an appropriate essay.
Do you have any others ideas? Thanks(less)
Faller Clementine I don't believe this book can easily be classified as a complete, straightforward tragedy, but its realism indicates that the supposed ending won't…moreI don't believe this book can easily be classified as a complete, straightforward tragedy, but its realism indicates that the supposed ending won't end with the reunion or remarriage of Nora and Torvald. By its very nature, this is tragic; Nora and Torvald loved each other for eight years, all children need their mothers, and so on with all the other pitfalls that arise from Nora leaving Torvald. Furthermore, that such a sham of marriage occurred for so long is also quite pitiable. Nora is often a deceptive person (she lies over the simplest things only to avoid confrontation), and Torvald can most succinctly be characterized as patronizing and inane. Nora is wholly dependent on Torvald; she knows how to do, literally, nothing. Torvald, in turn, feels that a woman's role is to beautify the home, and basically act as a trophy wife. As Nora proclaims around the end of the play, they never truly had a serious discussion. Their marriage was centered on pretty spurious ideals, and not on love itself. This, in itself, is a tragedy.

Of course, this is simply my take on the so-called tragic aspect of the story, and I may be completely wrong. Hopefully I was able to help though! :)(less)

Chelsea

ومن واجبات وقيود أشد سخافة

قررت نورا أن تذهب
لأجل نفسها
لأجل هذا الشيء الذي كان عليها أن ترضيه لتستطيع أن تعيش

لأنها في الحقيقة من لحم ودم وأعصاب وأسلاك عقلها تعمل تماما مثلها مثل أي ذكر فرضت عليها الدنيا أن توقره لمجرد أنه يحمل اسم رجل

نورا ليست بدمية
فكان عليها أن تترك بيت الدمى
وتتنفس للمرة الأولى

::::::::::::

نورا : لست أبالي بما يقول
David
First things first. Nora, the protagonist of Ibsen's A Doll's House, is a twit. There's no getting around it. We may choose to assign blame for her twittishness to her husband, her milieu, or her era, but this will never adequately mitigate her essential twit nature to that reader or spectator of the play who must endure her self-identification as her husband's 'squirrel' or her childlike idiocy. I myself couldn't stop wondering if Nora is an actual twit (i.e., a twit absolutely, regardless of h ...more
stephanie
oh, nora. you are much maligned, and yet. i wonder why people find you so much more annoying than emma bovary, etc.

i think there's so much about this play as a historical document that i appreciate and enjoy and love that sometimes i forget it's supposed to be a PLAY.

that said, i don't think nora was *supposed* to be entirely sympathetic. i think her annoying behaviors are supposed to get on your nerves - but somewhere, i think, Ibsen hoped that you would see the way she acts is not simply who
Bookworm Sean
Imagine what it would be like to live in a doll’s house. It is a house in which you are controlled and have no power to make any strong decisions; it is a house in which you are a play thing for someone else’s entertainment. This sounds a lot like a bad marriage, so it is a house in which your husband holds the purse strings, so to speak, and leaves you with no control over your family’s finances. Indeed, your husband keeps you on a very tight leash. Such is the perceived life of Nora Helma.

Yet
Heba Nouraldeen
كنت مترددة من قراءة الأدب المسرحي لما تتميز به حواراته من ملل ورتابة...لكن فى الحقيقة هذة المسرحية اجتذبتني حد اننى انهيتها فى جلسة واحدة...
الأحداث تميل للتركيز وتنبض بحركة داخلية دافقة ...تتسم بنزعة اخلاقية فى قالب فلسفي بسيط وجميل...
امرأة تتورط فى الدين وتزور امضاء ابيها من اجل زوجها .وحينما يعلم زوجها بالأمر يثور حانقا غاضبا ويمنعها من تولي رعاية اطفالها ...وهنا تأتى اول جلسة مناقشة تجمع بين الزوجين منذ ثمانية اعوام !!!!
كانت تنتظر منه المعجزة الا وهى ان يضحى من اجلها ويتحمل عواقب الأمور...يطم
Carlie
Shaindel
Aug 29, 2008 Shaindel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, men, citizens of eart over age 22-23?
I read this in college (of course) and didn't "get it" until I taught it a few years ago when I took over an Introduction to Drama as Literature course for another instructor. Wow, Ibsen understood how stifling marriage was for women in this era and how hypocritical men were. I would go into more detail but don't want to drop a "spoiler." A must-read, a classic, but I don't know at what age most readers will get it. This is why I think you should be required to have the practice marriage that do ...more
Mariel
Jan 31, 2013 Mariel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barbie make me pretty
Recommended to Mariel by: the establishment
Helmer: Just think how a guilty man like that has to lie and play the hypocrite with every one, how he has to wear a mask in the presence of those near and dear to him, even before his own wife and children. And about the children- that is the most terrible part of it all, Nora.
Nora: How?
Helmer: Because such an atmosphere of lies infects and poisons the whole life of a home. Each breath the children take in such a house is full of the germs of evil.
Nora (coming nearer him): Are you sure of that
Shriya
You'll ask me, "Why five stars?"
I'll answer, "Why not?" even though I felt like docking off one at first. Well, the reason is Nora and the last few dialogues of the play and probably my obsession with feminism (thanks to Ms. Atwood!)
The play overwhelmed me so much that I am now ready to disagree with anyone who has anything to say against Nora and hit all those who call Ibsen a destroyer of domestic felicity. All I have to say is if you want to know why they call Ibsen "the father of pro
Sandy
A doll's house. What image comes to mind when you hear those words? A "perfect" family? A peaceful, innocent domestic situation? Friends dropping in? Preparations for a holiday celebration? Play-time! Yes, Nora and Torvald seem to have the perfect life. Certainly, they have weathered some challenges in life but they have survived. Here we see them with a lovely home, two servants, three playful children, friends, and enough money to celebrate Christmas in the traditional way.

Nora plays with the
David
I found this play to be incredibly moving. Nora, a cheerful and devoted wife, eventually finds herself questioning the validity of her marriage and the man she thought of as her husband.

It was interesting to see how both Nora and her husband handled a crisis under pressure. Nora acted independently of her husband in order to save his life, while her husband responds selfishly and ungratefully when faced with the revelation of Nora's act.

Nora proved very moving in her realization that the man she
Hend
Nora a woman who comes to understand that her marriage wasnt as she supposed it to be , an illusion, and that her husband is a very different person from she once believed him to be..when he cant undergo one of the hardships in their life for her sake ....

She leaves her husband and her children because she feels it is for their benefit..
her husband accused her of being a "child-wife"she feels that he was right, that she is a child who knows nothing of the world. Since she knows so little about
حماس

القصة أن فتاتنا قررت أن يكون لها شأن
أن لا يعدو وجودها فى الحياة كوجود دمية

فاستغلت فرصة كان زوجها مريضًا
Lisa N
I can’t understand why this is considered by many to be the first true “feminist” play. I cannot stomach many more stories of “feminists” who feel the need to abandon home and family to “find” themselves. What is feminine about walking out on your children, and in this case not even saying good-bye?

For a couple of days, I have been pondering what the masculine counterpart to a feminist is. I threw the question out to my family, and my 15-year-old daughter said, “You mean a jerk?” I think that s
Elizabeth
description

A Doll's House is a three act play that examines the roles of women and men in the early 1900's. A Classical piece written by the great playwright Henrik Ibsen.

description

Nora has maintained the perfect household. She has perfect children, a perfect husband, the perfect staff, and a pristine house. However, not everything is quite as it seems. Nora makes some independent financial choices apart from her husband. Although her choices were made with the intent to protect him, he could not accept her independ
a  Lena
You go, girl!
Araz Goran
مسرحية مستفزة وشخصيات شاذة الطبع زائفة الضمير.. لم أجد مبرراً لكل ما حدث في المسرحية يبدو وكأنه أراد أن يكتب شيئاً للأستفزاز فقط..
لم تُعجبني المسرحية مطلقاً للأسف..
David Sarkies
Feb 19, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Ibsen
Recommended to David by: My English Teacher
Shelves: modernist
A woman becomes empowered
19 February 2015)

I had given this play a fairly ordinary review when I first commented on it (and that review is below this one), simply because when I studied it at high school I was put off by the fact that Nora simply up and left, and in a way it felt like she had undergone an inexplicable and sudden change. However, after reading Peer Gynt I decided that I should give A Doll's House another try. So, when I visited the bookstalls at Federation Square I kept an eye ou
Kelly
One of those books you were forced to read in high school that have far more relevance once you have a better/more mature perspective on adult relationships.

I remember hating Nora as a youngster: her silliness and frivolity, her lack of depth, and most of all, her role as doormat. I was also bothered by what seemed to me to be an abrupt --and thus unbelievable-- change.

Upon re-reading (and really reading, rather than cramming in the last act in the lunch room), Nora's light and silly personalit
Lyn
A Doll’s House by Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen is alike with Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises in that it may more often than not be misinterpreted.

First published in 1879, the play tells the story of Nora Helmer and her marriage to Torvald Helmer. But the play also depicts two other female characters and between the three Ibsen has composed a female triumvirate of the European nineteenth century Everywoman. Along with Nora are Kristine and Anne Marie, who Ibsen has displayed as a fema
Susan
Mohammad Ali
Feb 06, 2015 Mohammad Ali rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mohammad Ali by: مسعود حسینی
راستشو بگم ویژگی این کتاب - اعم از دو پیوست مترجم و نمایشنامه - به نظر من اطنابه.

در مورد دو مقاله ی مترجم این به خصوص در مقاله ی "چند اشاره به چالش ترجمه" به چشم می خورده. حرف های نویسنده را جمع کنی به زور بیست صفحه می شه اما شصت صفحه مطلب نوشته و چیزهایی را آورده که جز منم منم فایده ی دیگری ندارد - مثلا اینکه یهو جمله ای از ادیب سلطانی را بیاورد و نشان دهد که از نظر معرفه و نکره اشتباه ترجمه کرده ( جدای همان بحث همیشگی کلمات نامأنوس امثال ادیب سلطانی ). من خواننده هر چه زور زدم ضرورت آوردن این
Anastasia
"Ma la nostra casa non era altro che una stanza da gioco. Qui sono stata la tua moglie bambola come in casa del babbo ero la figlia bambola. E i nostri figli erano a loro volte le mie bambole. Quanto tu mi prendevi e giocavi con me, mi divertivo come si divertivano i bambini quando li prendevo e giocavo con loro. Questa, Torvald, è stata la nostra vita coniugale!"

Già, sembra proprio una casa di bambole. Assomiglia un po' al gesto del prendere la bambolina e schiacciarla al viso del bambolotto pe
Linda
Being one of the most talented playwrights in the 19th century, Henrik Ibsen, the Norwegian counterpart to Swedish Strindberg, is the most frequent performed dramatist in the world, second to Shakespeare. It's impossible to describe how influential he was. Ibsen is referred to as "the father of realism". "A Doll's House", premiered in 1879 a few weeks after its publication, became the most performed play in the world. UNESCO has inscribed the autographed manuscripts on the "Memory of the world r ...more
سمر محمد

بعض المواقف تحدث فتقلب الموازين رأساً على عقب ..
فنرى كل الأمور كما لم نراها من قبل ..
فهل يكون لدينا الجرأة لنأخذ قراراً حاسماً في كل ما كان وما سيحدث بعد ذلك ؟
هذا هو السؤال الأهم !!

الحوار الأخير بين الزوجين في المسرحية يجب أن يُقرأ مرة واثنين وثلاثة
ويجب أن تستمع إليه أكثر من مرة وتدقق في كل كلمة

كالعادة متعة المسرحيات بالقراءة + الإستماع في نفس الوقت :)

Ben
Mohamed Elshawaf
الأديب هو فيلسوف قديم لكنه وجد الطريقة المثالية لإلقاء فلسفته بعيدا عن صورة فيلسوف مدرسة الرياضيات فى أثينا، أو المعتكف خلف الجدران يعانى عراكاً عقلياً. الأدب فلسفة والفلسفة جذر الأدب، الأديب الذى لا يحمل رؤية فلسفية لتحليل الظواهر هو على أحسن تقدير أديبٌ تَعِس، البحث فى السعادة هى شغل الفلاسفة الشاغل، "الحقيقة تُسعدنا أم الخداع؟" إحدى موضوعاتها الأصيلة، أو هكذا يجب أن تكون!

أن تعرف أن جدار منزلك به شرخ ممتد قد يهوى به يوما، ثم تُزينة بلوحة فنية جميلة وتقنع نفسك أن منزلك الرائع مزين بلوحة رائعة..
Maja
Zašto ova knjiga u 21. veku ima cenzuru?
Zar je ljudima teško da prihvate da žene imaju pravo da odlučuju o svom životu?
Ono o čemu je Ibsen pisao u 19. veku prisutno je i danas, žene su i dalje lutke bez prava glasa. Šta to govori o našem društvu?
Da nismo odmakli mnogo od shvatanja i razmišljanja od pre nekoliko vekova?!
Ali kao što je i sam Ibsen rekao za ovu dramu, to nije pitanje položaja žena već pitanje položaja čoveka.
Nermeen Kamel
رواية رائعة ,أكثر شىء أعجبنى لحظة إنقلاب شخصية نورا ورفضها لدور الدمية التى وضعها فيها أبيها وبعد ذلك زوجها هيلمر ,لحظة عدم تصديق هيلمر لذلك الإنقلاب وإتهامها بالهذيان لمجرد أنها كانت تريد تغيير حالها وعالمها وهو كان على إستعداد التخلى عنها فى لحظة عندما قرأ الخطاب ,كل هذ الصراع لم يختلف كثيرا عن ما نحن عليه الأن
What Happened After? 6 122 Jun 07, 2014 08:28PM
A Doll's House 4 39 May 24, 2014 09:50AM
Devine Period 3: Classic Literature Book - Devin Mackin 1 4 Apr 18, 2014 11:10AM
Nora's doll house 9 146 Apr 08, 2014 11:41PM
Public Play House: Group Read for August 29! 4 10 Sep 01, 2013 09:45AM
  • The Three Sisters
  • A Dream Play
  • Machinal
  • Major Barbara
  • Trifles
  • The Caucasian Chalk Circle
  • Fences (The Century Cycle #6)
  • Six Characters in Search of an Author
  • The Recognition of 'Sakuntala: A Play in Seven Acts
  • Spring's Awakening
  • The Heidi Chronicles
  • Oleanna
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night
  • "Master Harold"...and the boys
  • Betrayal
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
More about Henrik Ibsen...
Hedda Gabler Ghosts Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder An Enemy of the People The Wild Duck

“You have never loved me. You have only thought it pleasant to be in love with me.” 185 likes
“You see, there are some people that one loves, and others that perhaps one would rather be with.” 100 likes