Start by marking “Welcome to Eudora: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Eudora: A Novel

Welcome to Eudora: A Novel

Eudora, a small town in the middle of wheat, oil, and cattle country, is on the verge of extinction. And Lottie Dougal, the local stationer with a healing touch, may be the only one who can bring the community back together–if she doesn’t destroy it first.

In a town like Eudora, where everyone knows you from birth to death, it takes a brave woman to color her hair. Since re
Published July 31st 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Eudora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Eudora

daysgoby
Apr 04, 2008 daysgoby rated it really liked it
This book has small-town living down to a T. The characters are interesting and their problems believable and honest - everything from people from away marrying in to local politics are brushed upon. The book dedicates a great deal of itself to what happens in a small town when the racial mix of the inhabitants changes. Mimi Thebo writes about this situation with humour and works towards a climax that (like the town) is ever growing and changing.

The only jarring note I found in this book is the
Kate
No one will check this book out, despite the cover being colorful and awesome, and despite its status as a smallish trade paperback, which normally would make it a hot item. I don't know what the problem is.

Half of the book is a love story that lovingly satirizes (and stereotypes) small town life, and the other half is a story about racial harmony as a town's demographics change. Oh, and there's a fair amount of talk about herbal medicine vs. traditional medicine. And some witchcraft. So really,
Melissa
Jan 14, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting if you are from small town USA or want to know more about how things work in small town USA, especially Eudora, KS. The third person perspective got a little part of the way through. The author of this book is from Lawrence, KS, but as far as I know doesn't have much of a tie to Eudora and the book kind of feels like it has been written about Eudora, but from a distance like Paris where Mimi Thebo is writing. A sequel would interesting focusing on Eudora today. Historic ...more
Jenine
Jun 08, 2016 Jenine rated it liked it
In the Lake Woebegone school but with less despair and none of the shaggy dog stories. Which makes it pretty weak tea. But far more to my taste than the one Jan Karon book I read. They have much in common: gentle, small town stories with some romance, plenty of nostalgia and not much conflict. Thebo has a better sense of history and race than Karon for sure. This book was a pleasant read with an omniscient narrator who refers to itself as 'this chronicle'.

I am bothered that she put Eudora in th
Beth
May 12, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
First, I have no clue where I found the recommendation to read this book, but I wish I could remember because I would never trust them again. The small-time, old-fashioned town story had potential, but there were so many characters and so many stories and so many details that I was basically confused and irritated the entire time. I felt like I needed a cheat sheet just to make it through. I do not recommend this one to anybody!
Lee Anne
Jan 16, 2015 Lee Anne rated it really liked it
This story progresses at the speed of life in a small town. Occasionally it felt ponderous, but the wealth of detail enhanced the events and illuminated the characters in a way that made it essential to the whole. It took me longer than usual to get through this book, but when it ended I was satisfied.
Paula
Dec 29, 2008 Paula rated it it was ok
A cute story about a small-town plot that takes place in Eudora, Kansas - this British author grew up in Lawrence. Not enough to hold my interest for the entire book, but it had its funny moments, and the Eudora angle intrigued me.
MB (What she read)
Dec 11, 2008 MB (What she read) rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I very much enjoyed this book. The characterization is wonderful. I found the story intriguing and this was a book where I couldn't guess the ending...which is always appreciated!

I'm looking forward to more books by this author.
Dennis Mersmann
Jun 07, 2016 Dennis Mersmann rated it liked it
NOTHING LIKE THE REAL EUDORA! Just kidding. This book was fine and depicted a charming quaint small town, which is what I was looking for. But seriously, my family is from this town. #InsideInformation
Clea
Jan 06, 2009 Clea rated it liked it
much sweeter than my usual tastes, but written by a friend of a friend. some of the place and character names are borrowed from my hometown and thereabouts and their repurposings are pretty funny.
Marychar
Nov 14, 2008 Marychar rated it really liked it
This is really good so far. Not a lot of dialogue, more of a narrative of events in a small town. Several very funny LOL scenes.
Bonnie Tharp
Feb 23, 2009 Bonnie Tharp rated it really liked it
This was a true joy to read. Thebo's view of a small town and it's many characters was so vivid. I highly recommend this book if you want to have a good time!
Linda Aranda
Aug 21, 2015 Linda Aranda rated it liked it
Liked the storyline, but the author's use of long, complex sentences made the novel hard to follow. Would prefer reads by Fannie Flagg instead.
Leanne
Leanne rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Cindy
Jan 13, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
I liked the style of writing but felt the story drag a bit.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2013
Virginia
The "narrator's voice" got to me. Like a hillbillyish telling of a story.
Anita Montgomery
Anita Montgomery rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Lonnie
Lonnie rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Sasha Chenoweth
Sasha Chenoweth rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2008
Kimberly Hartney
i couldn't even get through the first 2 chapters of this book...BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2009
Jennifer Reierson
Jennifer Reierson rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2008
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2008
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2015
Marlee Marshall
Marlee Marshall rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016