Start by marking “The Son of the Wolf: Tales of the Far North” as Want to Read:
The Son of the Wolf: Tales of the Far North
Read Book* *Different edition

The Son of the Wolf: Tales of the Far North

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jack London gained his first and most lasting fame as the author of tales of the Klondike gold rush. This, his first collection of stories, draws on his experience in the Yukon. The stories tell of gambles won and lost, of endurance and sacrifice, and often turn on the qualities of exceptional women and on the relations between the white adventurers and the native tribes.
S
Published March 28th 1996 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Son of the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Son of the Wolf

Santanu Dutta
A very nicely put collections of selected north stories. May not be the best, however there are a number of stories included that will definitely be put in the top Jack London short stories. His descriptions about the the relationship between people, the nature and the dogs are really put in a very lucid and attaching way.
To put some lines from the first story, "The White Silence" ...... "Nature has many tricks wherewith she convinces man for his finity, the ceaseless flow of the tides, the fur
B.T. Clifford
This is a setting book, and it's what Jack writes best. The Son of the Wolf is a group of short stories illustrating life on the Klondike in the late 1800s. He uses tales of death, madness, survival, revenge, lust and love to give the reader a thrilling glimpse into the lives of his characters. The stories flow from one to another, with references to one event appearing in later tales. Jack uses a few prominent characters to tie the whole together and give the reader an anchor. Throughout the bo ...more
Valerie
superb writing style, it's beautiful!!
Daniel Andreacci
The Son of the Wolf (Jack London)

First off, the praise, Jack London's writing style is simply superb. He does so briefly, beautifully and perceptively.

"The sleds groaned by on their steel-shod runners, and the dogs strained low in the harnesses in which they were born to die. Jacques Baptiste paused by the side of Sloper to get a last glimpse of the cabin. The smoke curled up pathetically from the Yukon stovepipe. The two Incapables were watching them from the doorway." (pg. 79)

It's percepti
Voldemar Lemberg
As much as I love London's other works, I'm sad to admit that I'm a little disappointed with this collection.
I'm not really sure what exactly gone wrong. Maybe the problem for me was that I was expecting too much after reading his other, more famous novels, but both the style and the overall feel fell kind of flat on me.
I liked the theme of the stories, and I really enjoyed the characters traveling from one tale to another, but overall the tone and pace of the book just didn't have the right fee
Sara Cabrol
Interesting book

Collection of tales of the men living in the northlands. Some touching, some strange. Some heartwarming, some disturbing. All very short; few stories last more than 1-2 chapters, some characters appear in several of the stories. Somewhat enjoyable, though I personally enjoy London's books about animal characters more as they are without human deceitfulness. Just my $0.02.
Ricardo
This is a compilation of short stories by Jack London. Set in the Klondike area, this stories are the result of London's experience in Alaska during its Gold Rush.
All of those stories deal with the hardships lived by the men in a environment, hellbent on breaking whoever took it slightly.
London presents with characters which have their own moral conduct forged in such a inhospitable land. Their way of thinking and acting differs from most of us "city-slickers" but its a reasonable choice in suc
Jim Misko
Jack London uses a bunch of words we don't use in writing anymore and some I don't understand but he can grab you by the lapels and make you read on until the tale is finished.

The cover says this is the book that made Jack London famous and it may well have. It contains nine riveting stories of what happens to men and women in the far North when gold is to be had. All the good stuff; love, freezing, hunger, giants of men, the harshness of the trail, good dogs and bad dogs and people who used th
Nile
Terrific storytelling. The immortal writer writer of The White Fang & Call of the Wild does it again. However, a few stories were not as simple and lucid. Overall, enjoyed the ride. Good, not outstanding as per my reading requirements.
Daron Sheehan
Some wonderful tales which take you into the heart of the Yukon, very evocative, raw nature, raw passions - all beautifully captured in London's unique language and style. I found a couple of mistakes in the translation where the translator had misunderstood the original, hence three stars rather than four.
Courtney

7) The White Silence
8) The Wife of a King
9) The Wisdom of the Trail
Sandy
Okay stuff. Two of London's recurring characters Malemute Kid & Sitka Charlie make numerous appearances.
pedro
Amazing book with a very sensitive and touching ending. One dives to late 19th century build of north America in particular to it's human dimension
Shawn
No one captures the essence of the far north better than London. Great book although Call of the Wild is his masterpiece.
Chris Turek
A bit muddled unfortunately. Once you stray away from Call of the Wild and To Build a Fire the results become hit or miss.
Sara
Loved the "Aloha Oe" Tale. Amazing and kind of current, like it was a present story.
Rüya Hazar
Rüya Hazar is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Meg Baldwin
Meg Baldwin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Mikaela Steudel
Mikaela Steudel marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Heart of the West
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy, #2)
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • The Lost World & Other Stories
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Stories For Christmas
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...
The Call of the Wild White Fang The Call of the Wild/White Fang The Sea Wolf The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories