Start by marking “Anonymous Lawyer: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Anonymous Lawyer: A Novel

Anonymous Lawyer: A Novel

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  715 ratings  ·  135 reviews
He's a hiring partner at one of the world's largest law firms. Brilliant yet ruthless, he has little patience for associates who leave the office before midnight or steal candy from the bowl on his secretary's desk. He hates holidays and paralegals. And he's just started a weblog to tell the world about what life is really like at the top of his profession.

Meet Anonymous L
Published April 17th 2007 by Picador (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Anonymous Lawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anonymous Lawyer

Petra X
Warning: do not drink hot coffee whilst reading this book. Snorking and dirty clothes will result.

How many stars? 27! At least! for being the funniest of all possible books about lawyers. It's the sort of book you pass on to all your friends. However, something very odd, although my son and his law student friends enjoyed it, neither of the lawyers I sold it to did. Perhaps they felt it was a bit like a mirror and it wasn't the one which told them that yes, they were the fairest of them all. Pu
Eric_W
Based on a real blog (still extant) by the no longer anonymous lawyer at a large firm, the novel is in the form of a series of emails and blog postings from the Hiring Partner to his niece, an aspiring lawyer, but not of the same ilk as her uncle.

Our partner despises Daylight Savings Time because instantly a full sixty minutes of billable hours are lost and no one bothers to make it up in the fall, instead, just sleeping in. He hates holidays, why should we celebrate Memorial Day when we could a
Jennifer Wardrip
This is one of the funniest books I've read this year. Sure, the whole "partner-who-wants-to-be-chairman" storyline of the book was a good one--but what kept me glued to the pages of ANONYMOUS LAWYER for four straight hours was the fact that I couldn't stop laughing.

Two paralegals chatting incessantly? Easy solution--punch one of the them in the face. Anonymous Daughter getting fat? Easy enough to solve--let Anonymous Wife take her in for liposuction. My favorite scene from the entire book, tho
Erin
So funny ... because it is true. I'm not saying every lawyer is like this (obviously, what would that say about me?) but we have all known someone like this. And more than likely, we have all worked for someone like this. I was disappointed Anonymous Lawyer never worked in his boxers at the office. Made me realize that the main character was fictional and not actually my old boss. For a while there I thought he was A.L.
Mhairi
Hilarious book! I actually laughed out loud at a number of points, and when I read parts to my husband, even he laughed. You don't have to be a "big law" lawyer to get this book - although a knowledge of the stereotypes helps. Overall, a wonderfully funny, light read that I couldn't put down!
Kathy
This was the funniest book i have read in a long time. It is written by a real lawyer and is such a fun, entertaining read. It gives you stereotypical way of how we would view lawyers in the way they think but its written in a funny way.
This book is hysterically funny and I would recommend it to anyone who has ever worked in the legal profession.
Ensiform
The novelization of a popular (and hilarious) blog, ostensibly by a hiring partner at a major LA law firm. The titular lawyer, whose obsessions with quality and power are much akin to the protagonist’s in American Psycho, is here made less venomous through a series of emails to his niece. At the firm, he vies for the Chairmanship with a rival he dubs “The jerk,” and worries after an associate finds out the blog is his. Thus a few plot conflicts are presented, and it climaxes when “Associate X” o ...more
Charlaralotte
Feb 18, 2008 Charlaralotte rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Charlaralotte by: Fluke purchase at bookstore
Shelves: read-in-2007
Praise the good lord for this book. At the time I picked it up, I was wallowing between jobs, and my mom was cranking up the pressure on me to attend an "open house" for the paralegal program at a local university.

I kept thinking, "I will design the shingle to hang outside the lawyer's office; I will design the business cards, the letterhead, the website. I will decorate the lawyer's office. But there's no way in hell I'm going to go to work EVERY DAY in that lawyer's office."

Still, it was a v
Anthony Eaton
My wife is lawyer. Well, a former lawyer. She enjoyed this book immensely, partly because it's a darn funny piece of writing, but also - I suspect - out of a powerful sense of schadenfreude - this is a particularly biting (read: horribly accurate) novel about life at the top of a top lawfirm; insane (and always billable) hours, political backbiting, substance abuse and the constant undermining of everyone around you. And now she doesn't have to do any of that.

As you can probably tell, it's a com
Matimate
Every firm has such person. Everyone know such person and hates it to the bone. The blogging is curse and blessing of our age. The lawyer, who was tired of all deception of pretending his good graces everyday, turned to express his true self on the blog he wrote. He was a hiring partner of the great lawyer firm and he was nasty and mean to everybody, he hated associates who were not working to the point of collapse. The great enemy of his was lurking just behind his back THE JERK. The fight of t ...more
Theryn Fleming
I started reading Jeremy's eponymous law school blog sometime in 2003. In 2004, he started writing the Anonymous Lawyer blog (as "Anonymous Lawyer"). I read it for a while, but it got a bit repetitive and I stopped. A few months later, there was an article in the NY Times "outing" him as the writer behind AL. Fast forward: book deal, writing of book, publishing of book, optioning of book...

I really bought AL because of Jeremy’s personal blog, not the AL blog. I think AL the book is better than
Nadine
I had a hard time starting this - that was completely my fault- I kept seeing my law office and hearing all the people I work with. I kept thinking about who this person would be that stole the donut, etc... and I would need to stop cause I could literally just see it all- in parts of the book there's notes of other lawyers responding to his blog (it's written in the form of a blog) some of these responses accuse the author of being a partner at their firm- I could have done the same thing-- yes ...more
Celia Powell
I used to occasionally read bits of the blog "Anonymous Lawyer", and thought it was an amusing spoof on life in a big law firm. The book of the blog, however, is a bit awful, as I imagine most books-of-blogs are. It consists of blog entries and emails, with a pretty pathetic plot woven in between. While the over-the-top character who writes the blog entries is amusing, it doesn't work in the emails when the ott character is presented as a real person. Not believable at all, to the point where I ...more
Heather Knight
Another blog-become-novel, Anonymous Lawyer follows an egomaniac, workaholic, and genuinely cruel lawyer as he starts a blog, gets found out, and proceeds to ruin his career. Hard to feel bad for the guy.

Although there are moments that I think we can all relate to in a workplace way, most of it is so foreign (summer interns billing out at $250/hr) that I just couldn't believe it was real.

Anyway, it's a quick read and an interesting peek into another world ... one you won't be sorry you don't li
Aby
Featuring one of the best anti-heroes you might find yourself rooting for, the novel is written in the frame of blog entries and e-mails. As I find it always refreshing to read shifting viewpoints, much less shifting frames, I enjoyed and breezed thru the novel. More so since the focus of which is the sarcastic and nihilistic anonymous lawyer who does not fail in coming up with brutal ways to treat and talk about his colleagues in the anonymous firm. And yet this was done with enough humor and a ...more
Anna
My mild-mannered corporate lawyer brother-in-law lent this one to me. I wasn't sure what it was going to be about, but I was desperate for something to read...and spent the rest of the night awake trying to finish it before having to give it back to him the next day. I haven't even worked in a huge soulless corporate lawfirm, and yet it's so well written that it's hilarious to anyone. But in particular, I think, to anyone who has suffered the life of a paralegal or clerk.
Tajha
This book is a must read for any lawyer, especially new lawyers. It is written in a highly sarcastic tone and makes fun of everything about the firm lifestyle. I laughed the whole time. The ending was a bit off, but up until then I was enjoying it. The main character reminded me of a few lawyers I know, which made it even funnier/sad. The character basically says what a lot of people actually are thinking but would never admit to in real life.
Daniel Montiel
I re-read this last week; wanted to be sure it made it here. A very fun and funny book. It presents the law industry and senior partners as a bunch of terrifying monsters, and it's one of the funniest reads I've had in a long time. Told in blog posts and emails, it's also not a bad story. Covering the climb one lawyer has from partner to the top, it's a bigoted, insulting, stereotypical, elitist laugh, and I highly recommend it.
Sera
This is one of the funniest books that I have ever read. I'm not sure if non-lawyers would appreciate it, but I've never worked in a law firm before, and I was in stitches. The premise started as a blog by the author who later turned into a novel. It's about how much it sucks to work at a law firm and what he says has so much truth to it (based on what I've heard) that I really don't how so many people go that route of practice.
Stuart Holmes
A very funny book at times, and written in a way that makes it modern, easy to read and captivating.

I thought the approach to this story was immense and I could read it over and over again.

I would strongly recommend this as a comment on modern life (short snappy blogs) whilst also offering a humorous insight to the legal practice world and comment on billable hours.

Very clever, very funny
Jade
Some parts of the book seemed repetitive, however, it was a quick and funny read. When reading this book I was only distracted by the sound of my own laughter, though this may say more about me and my sense of humour rather than the ability of the book to make everyone laugh. I really enjoyed reading about what is [hopefully:] an exagerrated cariacature of life at a law firm.
Cassie
This was surprisingly good for a book comprised of blog entries and emails. I found it mostly hilarious without being overdone, though some parts reminded me strongly of things I've seen in some practices. It did get tiring because of the unrelenting satirical tone and the lack of empathy of the narrator. But I liked that there was a story to it, and I was rooting for him by the end.
Karen Mazzola
Aug 08, 2007 Karen Mazzola rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: law students/prospective lawyers
Very entertaining, though a much less sympathetic character than in the online version. The story was cohesive and interesting, though I feel that I now take the advice in it too literally, considering it was not written by a real hiring partner. The ending was a slight disappointment, but it's a very jaunty read that I recommend.
Alex
There are points in this book where I actually laughed out loud, it's a great caricature of the legal profession and maybe one thats all too true. It is written as a narrative in a series of blog articles and emails so it's a quick read either way. Check out anonymouslawyer.blogspot.com to get a feel for it before you buy.
James Kidd
A novel in the form of a blog with e-mails thrown in. Yes it is about the law so I had an insight, but it was surprisingly good, had some cracking scenes and comments (some which genuinely made me laught out loud). If what the author describes as really going on in mega US law firms is really true, gawd help us all...
Shayla
May 16, 2008 Shayla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Shayla by: Coworkers
This is an excellent Book!!! I was laughing our load literally...This is a great read even if your not going to be a Lawyer, the book is based on how people feel about their coworkers, everyone has experience situation with their coworkers like this...It was truly the funniest book I have read in while!!!!
Angela
3 = 3 1/2

There's some language in here (which I don't care to read), but an otherwise interesting look at the life of a hiring partner at a big law firm. I read sections of it out-loud to a lawyer that I know and we laughed together about close to the truth many parts of this book hits!
Jen
This is a hysterical book especially if, like me, you work in this industry. It is so true in so many aspects. I got laughing pretty hard at moments. A Judge in my courthouse also read it and it was entertaining to hear him giggling to himself over it. We all know it's true.
Elizabeth Bingham
Ok so some people may not like this because it insults them...I think it's hilarious because it's true. However, I thought the storyline on the actual blog was funnier because on the actual blog Anon Lawyer doesn't give a flip about ANYONE and is meaner to the support staff etc.
  • How Judges Think
  • 1L of a Ride: A Well-Traveled Professor's Roadmap to Success in the First Year of Law School (Student Guides)
  • I'd Rather Be Short: 100 Reasons Why It's Great to Be Small
  • Comrade Don Camillo
  • Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges
  • My Life in Court
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • The Odd Clauses: Understanding the Constitution Through Ten of Its Most Curious Provisions
  • Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams
  • Courtroom 302: A Year Behind the Scenes in an American Criminal Courthouse
  • User Friendly
  • Capitol Magic (Jane Madison, #3.5)
  • One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School
  • Bed Rest
  • Kampung Boy
  • The Great Gatenby
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Gideon's Trumpet