Narcotics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  31 reviews
WORLD SERVICE OFFICE, INC.
Published January 1st 1987 by WORLD SERVICE OFFICE

Johnbracco
Something that is vital in recovery, some parts are repetitive yeet still easy to understand for someone who may just be tyring to straighten their life up and understand addiction better.Great look into the thought process of addicts
Jessie
Jul 16, 2009 Jessie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Although my membership is in AA, this NA book is an easier read,most likely because it began about 15 years later than AA, and it applies to drug addiction, which also includes the disease of alcoholism
Charlie
They say a camel is a horse designed by committee. This is how a group of anonymous recovery types put together their business about addiction (sic). What seems to be written by everyone is for everyone who has ever wanted to escape the trials and tribulations of drug addiction. At least the Big Book of AA had some God~inspiration, this one is a bit more analytical, perhaps because the group who collectively "chanelled" their Higher Power were trying to please too many people with too many angle...more
Courtney
May 13, 2008 Courtney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has probably already received the recommendation.
Definitley a must read if you find yourself stealing pennies from free penny cups at gas stations to buy syringes, or find yourself to rehab. Hard to rate this, because for those who are given a copy after writing a "tuition" check or showing up to a meeting, the book can be amazing one minute and the worst bunch of useless paragraphs written the next. Overall, it is an excellent process for reentry to civilization and renewal of self worth.
Davis
Apr 10, 2009 Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a better way of life
Recommended to Davis by: Steve Horney
Shelves: recovery-reading
The "meat and potatoes" of the NA fellowship. When I first got sober, this book gave me sanity. Not many other books can hold this claim. Personally, i feel the stories in the back of this book better than the one's featured in the AA Big Book. Anyone who doesn't know what recovery is about, or wants to get sober should read this book.
Kevin Catarino
Jul 04, 2008 Kevin Catarino rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: addicts
Decent book. It does a good job of explaining the addict mentality. It's a little preachy though (hurr hurr ya think?) and it's written on like a 4th grade level because most of us have turned our brains into spam. Still, it's informative and the essays are interesting.
Love this book, and will still occasionally flip through it, when I need a refresher. Never ashamed to seek the wisdom this book offers.
Marilyn Diamond
This fellowship has helped to change my thoughts, behaviors and ideas for over twenty one years
Micah Rasmussen
Anyone who has read this book already knows how great it is. It has helped me through so much.
Elizabeth O'Connor
Dec 26, 2007 Elizabeth O'Connor rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: questioners.
simplified solution-not wrong, but not my thing.

as for the meetings: n.a. = no answer.
Kathrynn
horrible. arrogant. its reads as though written by the leader of a cult.
Melissa
Good read for dark nights. I will definitely re-read.
Cole Watts
This book changed my life...
Stefan Martiyan
I read this book in support of a family member so that I could get a better understanding of what they were going thru and the recovery process. I didn't assign any stars to this, since honestly, I don't know how to rate it. I found the book to be educational and was a positive in helping me to have more educated discussions with my cousin. She's clean 5+ years now too, which is awesome!
Joshua
it's amazing how much of myself I see in this book. and how much hope is in it..
Connie Beard
Dec 05, 2012 Connie Beard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in recovery
Shelves: self-improvement
I absolutely love the Basic Text! Without it, I don't think I would still be clean or be a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor. If you are an addict who really wants to quit using, you should read the Basic Text and give the NA program a chance. It works if you work it!
Teresa
An everyday "bible" for anyone who's ever faced addiction issues - drugs or otherwise. This book has been, and continues to be, a life-saving tool for addicts. I've read this book numerous times over the years and it continues to motivate and inspire me.
Rebecca
Had to read this book for a book review in my substance abuse class. It was better than I thought it would be. A LOT easier to read than the AA book, in my pinion. I think it is a good book enjoyed seeing a different point of view.
Magick Bob
Dec 29, 2013 Magick Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any addict seeking recovery
Recommended to Magick by: 50
Continues to save my life. Something new is always revealed when I re-read the pages of this book.
Marlene

Not as good as the AA Big Book. But still taught the basic 12-steps. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a narcotics addiction.
marie monroe
what can i say? read and still reading. this one is a staple. funny, how i don't remember passages and the book is falling apart
Sara T.
I have read this book over & over & continue to read it... it is the "meat & potatoes" to my recovery.
Lorraine Raska
This book changed my life. I gained insight into my addiction. I learned that I am not the only one.
Roxanne Sukhan
Not as dated as the AA Book. I could relate to much of what is written in this book.
Missjill
best book ever. You'll read it over and over again and again.
David Buckingham
How to get clean and stay clean
Hank
Still reading. Freedom from addiction.
Casie Spears
Most important book in my library
Aundrea O'Connor
major relate with this one lol
Rufus
same as the AA all the way.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous - Big Book
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • Living Sober
  • Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • Who Needs God
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption
  • The Road Less Traveled and Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety
  • God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas
  • Christmas in Plains: Memories
  • The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth
  • Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son
  • The Soul of the Indian
Narcotics Anonymous is a non-profit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem.
More about Narcotics Anonymous...
Just for Today It Works, How and Why: The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous The Narcotics Anonymous Step Working Guides Living Clean: The Journey Continues Narcotics Anonymous: White Booklet

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” 49182 likes
“Every time I draw a clean breath, I'm like a fish out of water.” 32 likes