Start by marking “Narcotics Anonymous” as Want to Read:
Narcotics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
WORLD SERVICE OFFICE, INC.
Published January 1st 1987 by WORLD SERVICE OFFICE

To ask other readers questions about Narcotics Anonymous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Narcotics Anonymous

Johnbracco
Jan 19, 2009 Johnbracco rated it it was amazing
Something that is vital in recovery, some parts are repetitive yeet still easy to understand for someone who may just be tyring to straighten their life up and understand addiction better.Great look into the thought process of addicts
Davis
Apr 10, 2009 Davis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a better way of life
Recommended to Davis by: Steve Horney
Shelves: recovery-reading
The "meat and potatoes" of the NA fellowship. When I first got sober, this book gave me sanity. Not many other books can hold this claim. Personally, i feel the stories in the back of this book better than the one's featured in the AA Big Book. Anyone who doesn't know what recovery is about, or wants to get sober should read this book.
Jessie
Jul 16, 2009 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Although my membership is in AA, this NA book is an easier read,most likely because it began about 15 years later than AA, and it applies to drug addiction, which also includes the disease of alcoholism
Charlie
Jan 17, 2012 Charlie rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology, classic
They say a camel is a horse designed by committee. This is how a group of anonymous recovery types put together their business about addiction (sic). What seems to be written by everyone is for everyone who has ever wanted to escape the trials and tribulations of drug addiction. At least the Big Book of AA had some God~inspiration, this one is a bit more analytical, perhaps because the group who collectively "chanelled" their Higher Power were trying to please too many people with too many angle ...more
Kevin Catarino
Jul 04, 2008 Kevin Catarino rated it liked it
Recommends it for: addicts
Decent book. It does a good job of explaining the addict mentality. It's a little preachy though (hurr hurr ya think?) and it's written on like a 4th grade level because most of us have turned our brains into spam. Still, it's informative and the essays are interesting.
Apr 07, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book, and will still occasionally flip through it, when I need a refresher. Never ashamed to seek the wisdom this book offers.
CHERYLE  O'MALLEY
Jan 08, 2016 CHERYLE O'MALLEY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
THIS BOOK IS RECOMMENDED FOR ALL RECOVERING ADDICTS. I HAVE BEEN CLEAN AND SERENE SINCE APRIL 10, 2015
Marilyn Diamond
This fellowship has helped to change my thoughts, behaviors and ideas for over twenty one years
Micah Rasmussen
Apr 22, 2013 Micah Rasmussen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
Anyone who has read this book already knows how great it is. It has helped me through so much.
Elizabeth O'Connor
Dec 26, 2007 Elizabeth O'Connor rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: questioners.
simplified solution-not wrong, but not my thing.

as for the meetings: n.a. = no answer.
Katarina
Jan 10, 2016 Katarina rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
As a non-addict I can say this book is an interesting read and gives an insight into what recovering addicts need, and it's not surprising that it mentions things we all need as human, and some good advice on how to be a decent human being all together.
An an atheist I was sceptical by how often the word "God" and "Force" appeared but I ended up quite liking the vague definition of the terms - it's really a name for an anchor we all need in difficult times.
I would recommend this book to everyone
Melissa
Oct 19, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read for dark nights. I will definitely re-read.
Jonathan Smeets
Apr 18, 2016 Jonathan Smeets rated it it was amazing
it explains vertrouwen wellicht what NA is about my , the traditionele an all.
the stories of NA addicts in recovery are good read stuff for when you think officieel trying to user one more time. the book alsof explains the steps prettig good and what the messing of them is.
Allison
Jul 01, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing
i love this book. It gave me amazing insight into the person ive been, the person id like to be, and the person i someday hope to become.
Cole Watts
Mar 03, 2014 Cole Watts rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life...
Stefan Martiyan
I read this book in support of a family member so that I could get a better understanding of what they were going thru and the recovery process. I didn't assign any stars to this, since honestly, I don't know how to rate it. I found the book to be educational and was a positive in helping me to have more educated discussions with my cousin. She's clean 5+ years now too, which is awesome!
Chas Bayfield
May 25, 2014 Chas Bayfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely, heartfelt book. It is a work of love. OK, so the wording of the steps and the traditions might be a little flat but the stories of hopelessness leading to redemption can't fail to strike a chord. Addiction is a disease that can strike people regardless of their background and NA is the lifeline that can get them back on their feet. Awesome.
David
Narcotics Anonymous (5th Ed.) by Narcotics Anonymous (World Service Office 1987)(362.29386). This is the equivalent of The Big Book to alcoholics. It contains stories told by members of the fellowship of their hopes and experiences and serves as one of the principal texts of NA. My rating; 7/10, finished 2005.
Joshua Sierk
Jan 19, 2014 Joshua Sierk rated it it was amazing
it's amazing how much of myself I see in this book. and how much hope is in it..
Connie Beard
Dec 05, 2012 Connie Beard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in recovery
Shelves: self-improvement
I absolutely love the Basic Text! Without it, I don't think I would still be clean or be a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor. If you are an addict who really wants to quit using, you should read the Basic Text and give the NA program a chance. It works if you work it!
Teresa
Jul 15, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
An everyday "bible" for anyone who's ever faced addiction issues - drugs or otherwise. This book has been, and continues to be, a life-saving tool for addicts. I've read this book numerous times over the years and it continues to motivate and inspire me.
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Had to read this book for a book review in my substance abuse class. It was better than I thought it would be. A LOT easier to read than the AA book, in my pinion. I think it is a good book enjoyed seeing a different point of view.
Magick Bob
Dec 29, 2013 Magick Bob rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any addict seeking recovery
Recommended to Magick by: 50
Continues to save my life. Something new is always revealed when I re-read the pages of this book.
Marlene
Aug 21, 2012 Marlene rated it liked it

Not as good as the AA Big Book. But still taught the basic 12-steps. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a narcotics addiction.
marie monroe
Jun 04, 2012 marie monroe rated it it was amazing
what can i say? read and still reading. this one is a staple. funny, how i don't remember passages and the book is falling apart
Sara T.
Apr 03, 2008 Sara T. rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over & over & continue to read it... it is the "meat & potatoes" to my recovery.
Lorraine Raska
Aug 02, 2007 Lorraine Raska rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I gained insight into my addiction. I learned that I am not the only one.
Alvaro Castro
Apr 24, 2016 Alvaro Castro rated it really liked it
Es un buen comienzo pero va a los temas muy superficialmente
Roxanne Sukhan
Jun 08, 2011 Roxanne Sukhan rated it really liked it
Not as dated as the AA Book. I could relate to much of what is written in this book.
Missjill
Oct 19, 2012 Missjill rated it it was amazing
best book ever. You'll read it over and over again and again.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous - Big Book
  • Na: It Works: How and Why
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • Living Sober
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps
  • God's Psychiatry: Healing for Your Troubled Heart
  • Who Needs God
Narcotics Anonymous is a non-profit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem.
More about Narcotics Anonymous...

“Every time I draw a clean breath, I'm like a fish out of water.” 60 likes