Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 03

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 03 (Neon Genesis Evangelion #3)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the year 2015, humanity faces terrifying last judgement by a mysterious race of giants, and a handful of teenagers must pilot the colossal superentities known as "evangelions" in the fight for survival. With Volume 3, this controversial science fiction series continues to push the limits of the genre.
Published October 6th 1999 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 29th 1996)

Charles
Brian
If Alan Moore's Watchmen is a 'classic' of the dark-fantasy comic genre, then NGE is a 'classic' of anime, and one with an incredibly loyal cult following. This, then, is the manga adaptation of one of that original contoversial, yet incredibly successful, anime.

I loved the anime series, although not a fanatical fan, as I thought both endings were EXTREMELY disappointing and actually detracted from the story. After reading this first 'book' I have to admit that I am impressed how well this adapt...more
Alexander Case
This volume of the manga adapts the Operation Yashima plotline, which I'd also describe as the "First Rei Arc." It gives the reader a baseline for who Rei is currently, so her character can develop and change over future volumes.

The story in this volume is missing some of the light humor that the anime version of this arc has (with Rei being the ultimate straight woman - particularly when Rei comes to give Shinji the briefing on Operation Yashima while he's in the hospital).

Sadamoto's art is exc...more
Ryan
I'm starting to worry that this series is definitely going to fall into the category of "fails to live up to expectations" - it's still fun giant mecha splodo, but I'm not seeing much deeper than that. There's hints of more depth - the relationship between Shinji and his father, for example, and hints of a relationship between the EVAs and the Angels, but aside from that, nothing. To make a comics analogy, I think I was expecting Grant Morisson, but got Mark Waid instead.
Henry
Feb 13, 2010 Henry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
This volume features the introduction of one of my favorite characters, the beautiful Rei (aka the First Child). There is a very funny and awkward scene between her and Shinji, and it was very nice to see it in manga. Again, this adaptation does a superb job of showing the familiar story, but from a slightly different angle. The characters shine beautifully, and to be honest, I just can't wait to pick the next volume.
Ana Paula
I marked only volume 1 as read, but it means I read all of them. I only didn't want to mark one book for each manga volume and didn't find a goodreads book that comprehends all the volumes.
Alx_zero
En este volumen finalmente echamos un vistazo a Rei o, al menos, a lo poco que se puede adivinar sobre ella. Por lo demás daddy issues y un buen estudio de personajes.
Lord
Another good volume with the story focusing on Rei Ayanami. And who doesn't love her? >_<
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon added it
not bad, getting a bit more interesting. Action still seems difficult to follow at time
Kailey
I could've done without the idiotic nudity. REally? stupid.
Carlos Martinez
Groundbreaking for the Meca genere, there is nothing like it.
Kimi
Kimi added it
Apr 12, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Aaron Mellert
Aaron Mellert marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Azzurra Skies
Azzurra Skies marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Karl Juden
Karl Juden marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Evolana Chu
Evolana Chu marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory
  • X/1999, Volume 03: Sonata
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 6: The Secret Woods (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #6)
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 03: To Sprout
  • Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 2
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days Volume 1
  • Blame!, Vol. 2
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 3
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is a Japanese character designer, mangaka, and one of the founding members of the Gainax anime studio.

Also the character designer for the .hack//Games and the Package designer for the .hack//GU games.
More about Yoshiyuki Sadamoto...
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 01 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 02 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 05 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 04 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 06