Blank-133x176
Callings: Finding And...

Gregg Levoy

Callings: Finding And Following An Authentic Life

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Levoy describes the myriad ways individuals are directed to follow their authentic true work and provides inspiring psychological, spiritual, and practical guidance.
Published (first published January 1st 1997)

Jeff
I first read this book back in the late '90s and have proceeded to read it at least once a year annually since then. I am now on my fourth copy, having read two copies to tatters and loaned out a third to a good friend (who is undoubtedly affected enough by the material for me to not warrant asking for its return).

In paradoxically light yet profound way, "Callings" trolls the collective human consciousness for familiar and foreign concepts interwoven in history through such vehicles as fable, pa...more
Dave
This book has a special place in my heart and it's impacted my life in a signficant way. It all started when I met the author "by chance" in Asheville, NC last year.

At the time I was searching in my life and had travelled for a vacation to Asheville (my first time in Asheville actually). One evening I was in downtown and saw a group of people playing drums outside in the open air. One of the men playing seemed to stick out to me - somehow you could tell he had great passion for what he was doing...more
Brenda Brown
I wasn't "looking" for this book but saw it on a table many years ago at a large bookstore in Atlanta. This is simply one of the most influential and lovely non-fiction books I have read in my 46 years; I have recommended it to many others who have told me how special it was to them. Thank you Gregg Levoy.
Emma
Update: just read for the second time and still just as helpful as the first time. This time through I noticed more the emphasis on (Joseph Campbell-esque) personal (individual) authenticity as having priority, which some could critique, but this is grounded for Levoy in the belief that this leads back to better contribution to the community and the world as a whole, not as an end in itself. This is written in such a word-careful, image-laden way that it's hard to pick quotes. He talks about sel...more
Nick Scott
I found Callings to be a well-written, eye opening book, about following callings in life. The book prepares you to listen to calls, to know the price of following or not following the call, and how to deal with doing so within yourself and around others. It made me feel more confident about staying true to what I want to do, and better equipped me to deal with the fear of not being good enough as well as the less thought about but even more dangerous fear of succeeding. For everyone who isn't s...more
Nikmaack
I give up. As much as some of the content in this book is great, other parts are torture. The author takes 5 pages to describe ideas that only need a paragraph. He also has that habit of referring to experts and quotes when it's just not necessary.

He also seems a little credulous when it comes to ideas that are WAY out there.

"I cured my cancer with drawing and dance!" to paraphrase and oversimplify one of his anecdotes.

As much a I would like to think that's true, or even possible, I just can't....more
Joy
How do we know if we're following our true callings? How do we sharpen our senses to cut through the distractions of everyday reality and hear the calls that are beckoning us?

Wonderful book about finding and understanding your true calling. And also defending the soul's right to be heard. Sensitively and beautifully written. It's like speaking with a dear friend, guide, mentor and really. I'm reading it again for the wonderful company and deeper insights. I'm enjoying it even much better this ti...more
Stephen Plank
Read for a counseling class and did not care for it since most of these people had already decided upon a life change and used things like canoeing the rapids to justify leaving husband and kids behind as a result of the adventure. Truthfully, there is no counseling here ... simply justification for making a life change that meant leaving responsibilities behind. Running away is not always the answer to a life challenge unless we are talking about the safety of self and others.
Lisa
This book was given to me by a good friend of mine. Despite being in somewhat of a turmoil in my life right now, I didn't find this book to motivate me to do anything differently. The book is well written, and has inspirational, thought-provoking anecdotes, but I can't say it has changed my life after reading it. Perhaps I'm not ready to look for my calling, or perhaps I've missed the signs. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading it; I speak only for myself.
Mary
I think this is the best book I have read on finding your way to what you are called to do. I have given numerous copies to friends when they are struggling with self-worth, why am I here, what am I supposed to be doing - you know, stuff.

This is not an Oprah book that fixes everything. Some places are hard to read because they require honesty with oneself.

I highly recommend!!!!
Julia Atwood
This is a GREAT book! One of the better self help books I've read in a long time. Great analogies and advise and a "way to" find it through examples through others processes.
P
The title was not exciting to me so had my book club not insisted on it, I would have passed it by. What a surprise!!!! Gregg Levoy is one the most intelligent, well-read, funny and talented writers I have ever come across.
Hey, if it stunned Jean Houston, what else is there to say. An absolute must-read.
We are all aware of callings in our life, but there is so much more.
Len Edgerly
I am one of the people profiled in this book, which makes me know the author did a very careful job of listening and getting it right concerning people who have made big leaps in their lives, based on a sense of calling. In my case, it was leaving a natural gas company to become a poet. This is a great book for finding tools to discern what's next in your heart and soul.
Kelly Tobin
Aug 18, 2010 Kelly Tobin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kelly by: Julie Perez
Callings refer to your inner voice calling to you to do certain things in life. Its all about listening to that inner voice to unlease your greatest potential by living the life you really want to lead. I borrowed this book from a friend who was emailing me scanned pages to read and then, she lent it to me. I need to finish it and get it back to her! It's long!
Mits
Hearing a call is a very difficult discernment process. Sometimes the call is clear, but the path is not. Sometimes the path is clear, but the desire is not. Gregg Levoy has done an exceptional job at being an in-print spiritual director for those seeking an entrance into the process of finding a true calling and a more authentic life.
JP
Yeah, yeah, cry me a river. I imagine that's what a lot of readers might think. But no... actually there are some interesting anecdotes worthy of contemplation. It's still a long read without any sense of organization. I might at most skim through and read the sections that jumped out at me.
Tiffany
Ungh... this book was supposed to help me find my calling in life, but I just couldn't get going with it. Not only could I not make it to page 50, I couldn't even make it out of the introduction! Maybe some day I'll return to it, but probably not any time soon.
Renae Barlow
I love this book and revisit it often. I have responded to many "callings" in my life and this book is an excellent guide to the questions we can ask ourselves to help us define our life's journey. A definite keeper for your library.
Julia
A book about many of the philosophies,intuitions studies, hobbies, vocations, etc.realized -as a calling- to change and or enrich ones life. A good book for reflection of ones past and encouragement for living life more authentically.
Patresa
I can't get enough of this book. Every page inspires me and offers tidbits of profound wisdom in highly readable poetic prose. It joins other treasure books on my bookshelf and I buy copies for friends as gifts.
Travis West
A collection of stories, lessons, and directions to help you find, tune into, and expand your calling in life. Not a book you can read straight through as it requires you to take time to think about what you just read.
Danni
I liked this book a lot it gave me something amazing to think about. Can unfullfilled dreams really cause physical pain? Can studying the arts really help problems that need solved in life? It was interresting.
Jenni Pertuset
Apr 26, 2010 Jenni Pertuset marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vocation
After hearing this interview with Gregg Levoy, I read the first few pages of this and found beauty and insight.
Terrie
I used this book to read before going to bed. It was just interesting enough that I marked a few passages and was able to keep reading, but just boring enough that it helped put me to sleep. :)
Cassie Rae
This book was amazing. It was full of insight from the Bible, philosophers, scholars, "real people," and a many others. It really makes you think about living your life in a more "aware" fashion,
Charlotte Hutson Wrenn
This is a classic. I read this many years ago. Loved it so much I bought a hardback copy to keep. I get it out often and it is well personalized now. Well researched and very inspiring.
Chad
One of the most beautifully written and inspiring books I've read on the subject. I've probably gone through two highlighters and I'm already looking forward to rereading it.
Giri Giridhar
I think this is a first rate book - written beautifully about the callings that all of us hear but are afraid or do not pursue.
Bonnie
This is a book about how to recognize the heart's calling and how to enable yourself to follow that cal.......
Melissa
Apr 12, 2008 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers
I am learning to put the pause button on and listen to myself quieted. It is a new and interesting place.
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • Time Management For Creative People
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • Dinner with Persephone: Travels in Greece
Callings This Business of Writing Vital Signs: The Nature and Nurture of Passion

“We must therefore be willing to get shaken up, to submit ourselves to the dark blossomings of chaos, in order to reap the blessings of growth.” 3 likes