Start by marking “Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1 (Neon Genesis Evangelion #1)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,323 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Evangelion, Vol. 1, contains a Japanese sound FX glossary plus special bonus commentary by series mecha designer Ikuto Yamashita, as well as the famous "confession letter" written by director Hideaki Anno in the months before the original TV series premiere that laid out his deeply personal motivations to make Evangelion.
Published February 25th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 29th 1995)

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
68th out of 856 books — 3,204 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoBleach, Volume 01 by Tite KuboOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda
Best Manga of All Time
31st out of 321 books — 600 voters

More lists with this book...

Wesley Beltz
Jun 05, 2007 Wesley Beltz rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is an interesting reinterpretation of the story from the anime. There are some notable differences mainly in the sequence of events, as well as the demeanor of Shinji. If you thought Shinji was too whiny in the anime, you may enjoy this better. It's also interesting in the way that the story is told more through Shinji's eyes. If you want to know more about the characters and their background you would probably enjoy this.
Kyle Muntz
Mar 11, 2015 Kyle Muntz rated it it was amazing
Finally read this manga (after seeing the anime almost a decade ago, which has influenced me more than pretty much anything else), and it was everything I wanted it to be. In general, it follows the anime pretty closely, but with a heavier focus on characters, and a few key changes that seem really important. Also, in general, there's just a lot more of the story, which I think makes it pretty essential for approaching Evangelion as a whole.

Wrote a long review here, but I decided I'll probably t
Yukino
Jun 27, 2016 Yukino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2015, manga
EVANGELION n. 1

Finalmente dopo 10 anni riesco a mettere le mani sul primo volume e presto il manga sarà tutto mio.

Come potete capire non saró obiettiva con queste valutazioni perché io semplicemente lo adoro. Ho visto peró prima l'anime e avevo paura che non rendesse a pieno leggere...e invece! riesco a godermi tutto: Combattimento dialoghi il rapporto tra Shinji e suo padre...tutto. Mi sono fermata ad ogni pagina cercando di catturare ogni cosa. Ed è stato bellissimo. Non so come spiegare ma a
Manaf
Aug 11, 2013 Manaf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Good God, this manga took for ever to reach an ending! It took almost 18 years to get all 14 volumes done!

I always wanted to see the Anime version of Evangelion but instead, I decided to read the Manga because it was so well drawn! This has to be one of the best artistic work in Manga and I really like how the Mechs were drawn in it. I could see where Mr Shinkawa (Metal Gear Solid) got his artistic inspiration :)

The plot is a good mix of drama, apocalyptic set, philosophy and war. While I may no
Ysabet
Evangelion was my favorite anime series for a while, and I still have a huge soft spot for it despite disliking both of the endings.

Even without knowing how the manga version is going to end (I keep hoping Sadamoto will deliver an ending I believe, unlike Anno), I think it's a superior piece of work so far. The story is tighter and the changes made to the characters are interesting (some are improvements, some are just intriguing differences). I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it ends
Sesana
Of course I've heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I think anyone who's had more than a passing interest in anime and manga has. But I'd never watched the anime or read the manga, because it just didn't look like my sort of thing. So I read it now, because it has such amazingly (and consistently) good word of mouth. After reading volume one, I can say two things about the manga: the word of mouth is justified, and it still isn't my sort of thing.
Hossain
Mar 04, 2015 Hossain rated it it was amazing
Finally I get around to read the manga. However not much difference between manga and the animated series yet, but I'm only on chapter 14 now. But if you ask me I liked the Rebuild movies better, much better animation, great angel designs, also they cut most of the slower paced portion of the anime. Of-course this is only true for till the 2nd movie. They totally fucked up the 3rd one. I don't like the direction they are going at. I prefer the animated series ending.

I wonder how the manga will e
Nicolás Pinto
Es curioso leer la versión manga de un animé, cuando el común es al revés. En esta ocasión, el autor encargado explica que quiso mostrar un poco más la humanidad de Shinji y su historia, para comprender sus motivos más profundos, así como su modo de ver al mundo. Es interesante ya que da otra perspectiva del ya excelente animé que marcó a toda una generación.
Vale la pena leerlo, sin dudas.
Tuck Abert
Apr 29, 2016 Tuck Abert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the review of the series as a whole not just this book.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is what I would unabashedly call a masterpiece. On the outside it is a manga (kind of Japanese graphic novel) that is simply about young teenagers fighting alien monsters called Angels, but that is not the real main focus, at least to me. The characters in this series are amazingly well done. From a girl who craves attention due to a tragic past, to a man who just wants to see his wife again and will do anythi
Hikari
May 25, 2015 Hikari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zur Reihe: Der finale Band von Neon Genesis Evangelion (kurz EVA oder NGE) ist vor kurzem erschienen - daher entschloss ich mich, die komplette Reihe noch einmal zu lesen. Ich kenne die Reihe seit dem Jahr 2000 und bin ein großer Fan. Aber es hat über 15 Jahre (in Deutschland, in Japan waren es 19) gedauert, bis der Finale band erschienen ist. Die Reihe gehört zu meinen absoluten Lieblingen und ich hoffe, dass das Ende dem würdig ist. Und besser als die bisherigen vom Anime.

Zu Band 1: Der Einsti
Rachel
Feb 24, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
The angels have come for humanity, so now it is up to last minute recruit Shinji, to pilot the Evangelion, and determine its fate. Mystery surrounds the entire series; what the angels and eva's are, what are the aims of Nerv, and its benefactors, and more. Religious overtones, sci-fi action, and an exploration of the mental states, and beliefs of its characters, adds to the overall complexity of Evangelion's plot.

In the first volume, Shinji starts off distant, having been abandoned by his fathe
Erik Hawksley
Jun 06, 2014 Erik Hawksley rated it it was amazing
I wish there was any sort of way for me to explain this plot but even after watching the Anime, the movies, the reboot,
I'm still confused to the point of headaches. A side note though, whatever this is is amazing. To give you as little info as possible a biy named Shinji is called upon by his father whom he hasn't seen in a few years and strongly dislikes to pilot a giant mech to save the world from aliens. This has it all, amazing art, a good mix of action and slow moments, amazing characters w
Federiken Masters
Jan 13, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo
Recommended to Federiken by: Obligación laboral, placer personal
La historia que contiene este tomo ya la tenía leída, releída y recontraleída de la vieja edición en medio tomo, pero gracias a un cuidado mucho mayor y a una encuadernación verdaderamente linda, casi diría que me gusta más este tomo. Lástima que a partir del tomo 4 no me consta que haya tanto cuidado...
Nativeabuse
Apr 15, 2012 Nativeabuse rated it liked it
Wow, I don't know which I like better the anime or this, I went in expecting a carbon copy of the anime, but I got something with even more philosophical undertones and more detail!

I love where this is heading and I only hope that it keeps heading in this direction of being more detailed than the anime.
Luli Nieto
Nov 14, 2015 Luli Nieto rated it really liked it
Es la primera vez que leo manga (y en formato japonés!) por lo que al principio se me hizo un poco difícil de seguir. Pero una vez que entré en ritmo, me encantó. Es que me fascina el arte japonés, en cualquiera de sus formas , y siempre me encantó el animé. Creo que tiene algo muy único, no sólo por ser japonés, también por las particularidades de sus relatos siempre tan relacionados a cosas tan primordiales y fundamentales para el hombre como la muerte, las relaciones familiares, el sexo, etc. ...more
Carolina
Mar 24, 2016 Carolina rated it really liked it
Shelves: mi-biblioteca
Después de muchos años de haber visto la serie al fin comienzo mi lectura del manga, admito que me cuesta manejar las secuencias de combate que son las que hacen que el ritmo melancólico de Shinji no sature toda la historia.
Andy
Jun 23, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
If you like giant fighting robots and existential angst, then EVA is the book for you!

Even if you only enjoy one of those things, you'll still probably get a kick out of it.

Using giant androids piloted by teenagers to make a statement about rejecting nihilism in an absurd world on the brink of destruction and finding meaning in human relationships and making the choice to actively live FOR something...that's what this series is about.

I joke with my sister that, in Japan, the basic unit of story-
Shazza Maddog
Jul 19, 2014 Shazza Maddog rated it liked it
I've seen bits and pieces of the anime this manga is based off of, and thought I should read to find out what I missed in watching the anime. So far as I can tell, the first book follows the anime pretty much scene for scene. I am still terribly confused. Terribly.

Why would something as expensive as an EVA be given to someone who doesn't have any clue how to make it work? It all boils down to me having to suspend my disbelief a little harder than I really wanted to. I still like poor Shinji, who
Francesco
Feb 17, 2016 Francesco rated it liked it
Vote: 3,50
Class: L-B1 (FP)

(a 14 volumes Manga with a sci-fi story)

I'm not much into manga (really: my first one was a month ago maybe) but I've a friend who's trying to convert me... And decided to begin borrowing me the Evangelion series...
What to say? It's not really what I normally ask for my reading time, but some times are different from others and recently, when I was ill in bed I've tried some of them enjoying very much the experience (not of being ill, of course...).
The story is interest
Varun Varanasy
Sep 14, 2015 Varun Varanasy rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time (the series really). The plot is not the focus of the book it's the people. The internal struggles that the main characters go through are so real they don't just drag you along. People who you misjudge or hate would probably be the very opposite of that of they opened up and communicated their feelings. This book (series) contains so much emotion that anyone who reads this will become immersed. To get the best experience possible read the main series and wat ...more
Azalea
Nice addendum to the anime TV series (And quit the bitching, I know the manga was released before the anime. But merely as a marketing tool for the latter.)

It adds nothing new to the NGE universe, and most changes are minor. For example, knowing about Asuka's father is interesting, but it is not cohesive with the anime, i.e. retconning. And it does not alter your perception of either anime or manga Asuka. Other minor changes are rather a loss for the story, such as leaving out a couple of angels
Scott Lee
Feb 28, 2015 Scott Lee rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I think of this one yet. the art is incredible, in fact, the use of visuals alone to tell the story reminds me of Akira the most powerfully and consistently visual of all the manga I've read so far. Also like Akira this one isn't going for laughs at all.

It is a giant robot story, but not in the tradition of Voltron or anything except in the vaguest, most general sense. It's a bit more like Robotech which took itself more seriously, and never bothered with the simplified freak
Damar hening Sunyiaji
Nov 09, 2012 Damar hening Sunyiaji rated it it was amazing
Saya penggemar berat serial evangelion. Neon genesis evangelion atau shin seiki evangelion tamat di episode 26 dan telah dibuat movie beserta end of eva sebagai premis cerita. Ada tetralogi yang belum rampung pula berkaitan dengan proyek rebuild evangelion. Manganya sendiri dikabarkan akan tamat di vol. 13, beberapa minggu lalu terbit vol. 12 nya setelah hampir setahun setengah gak ada kabar.

Evangelion adalah master piece karya sutradara hideaki ano. Menggunakan referensi alkitab dan psikoanali
Sergio Zheng
This book is about a city in Japan that is been attack by strange creatures. This strange creatures are aliens but they call this creatures "Angels". With all this "Angel" attacks the people in Japan created a corporation called NERV. NERV created evangelions to defeat this angels. Evangelions are robots that fuse with a pilot. This pilot needs to be a teenager because of its changing mind problems. This robots also consume a lot of electricity of Japan. In total there are 3 evangelions. This ro ...more
Charles
A.E. Reiff
Dec 29, 2013 A.E. Reiff rated it really liked it
BACKGROUNDS OF EVE(A)

The title comes from the first Gospel written, transliterates evangelion from Mark 1.1, meaning good news: “The beginning [genesis] of the euangelion εὐαγγέλιον , thus genesis evangelion. This implicates the author of the anime version Hideaki Anno http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_... created by Gainax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainax in a serious theological statement, but it is left to us to understand how far it should be taken. Although the anime version was conc
Brian
May 09, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Alan Moore's Watchmen is a 'classic' of the dark-fantasy comic genre, then NGE is a 'classic' of anime, and one with an incredibly loyal cult following. This, then, is the manga adaptation of one of that original contoversial, yet incredibly successful, anime.

I loved the anime series, although not a fanatical fan, as I thought both endings were EXTREMELY disappointing and actually detracted from the story. After reading this first 'book' I have to admit that I am impressed how well this adap
Muz
Oct 15, 2015 Muz rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I've seen bits of the anime and always found it interesting, so I decided to start reading the manga. Was struck by the year it takes place in being 2015 - at the time, the far future.

The premise now harkens to Pacific Rim, which I love. Of course, NGE came first in 2004. But I love the concept - how do we fight the impossible? Usually my personal answer is hope the Doctor shows up. But an Eva seems to be the next best thing.
Ere K.
Jul 20, 2015 Ere K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-manga
Ho deciso di riprendere in meno l'intera serie, che ho letto e riletto negli anni prima che si concludesse lo scorso anno.
I capitoli del primo volume sono stati pubblicati poco prima della serializzazione dell'anime per la TV, e si vede che alcuni dettagli erano ancora in fieri, come la caratterizzazione di alcuni personaggi ma soprattutto la sequenza di apertura precedente alla salita di Shinji sull'Eva 01.
Per quanto sia una grande fan di Sadamoto, non posso non notare come Sachiel e l'Eva sian
Jaimie
Sep 02, 2015 Jaimie rated it liked it
It's kind of a weird experience reading a story set in a post-apocalyptic 2015, when it is 2015 in reality and we didn't have a global cataclysm at the turn of the millenium. Ignoring the obvious dissonance between the fictional and alternate realities, the story of giant robots battling alien angels is one which I am less interested in now as I was in high school (when anything anime was a novelty) and I first watched some episodes of the series and added this book to my reading list. Technical ...more
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 3
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel
  • X/1999, Volume 01: Prelude
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! Vol. 1 (Trigun, #1)
  • Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, Volume 1 (Cowboy Bebop, Shooting Star, #1)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days Volume 1
  • Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1)
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 3: To Sprout
  • Blame!, Vol. 1
  • FLCL, Volume 1 (FLCL, #1)
  • Hellsing, Vol. 03 (Hellsing, #3)
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is a Japanese character designer, mangaka, and one of the founding members of the Gainax anime studio.

Also the character designer for the .hack//Games and the Package designer for the .hack//GU games.
More about Yoshiyuki Sadamoto...

Neon Genesis Evangelion (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 2