Start by marking “A Mended and Broken Heart” as Want to Read:
A Mended and Broken Heart

A Mended and Broken Heart

Francis of Assisi is Catholicism’s most popular saint. Tens of millions of spiritual seekers summon his name and example. But the real Francis-both his complicated personality and his complex theology-have been misunderstood for centuries.

In 1228, Pope Gregory IX rushed to canonize St. Francis only two years after his death. Soon thereafter, the Church eliminated signific
Published July 1st 2008 by Basic Books (first published June 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Mended and Broken Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mended and Broken Heart

Julie Davis
Sep 22, 2011 Julie Davis rated it it was ok
I have never cared much about St. Francis or St. Clare ... and I'm not really a fan of biographies ... plus I'm not attracted to big books about one saint. Plus this one has a "determined to shock you" feel (which could be completely my own vibe, I must admit).

However, that is part of the point of book clubs, right? To force us past our comfortable envelopes. I am beginning to not be able to count the number of times that I've enjoyed a book I would never have picked up otherwise, all because I
Shippseattle
Nov 10, 2008 Shippseattle marked it as to-read
Francis of Assisi is Catholici...more

[close] A humane and uncensored portrait of St. Francis of Assisi, Catholicism's most popular--and least understood--saint.
Francis of Assisi is Catholicism's most popular saint. Tens of millions of spiritual seekers summon his name and example. But the real Francis--both his complicated personality and his complex theology--have been misunders
Eric
Dec 18, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
A decent book on Saint Francis, it's trying to get attention by suggesting that Saint Francis and Saint Clare were attracted to each other before deciding to pursue celibate religious lives. An interesting conjecture and the brief discussion of source documents support the claim, which I personally find humanizes Francis a bit more. But the book also tries to serve as a general biography of Saint Francis, too. The author should have focused on making the book one or the other because it just see ...more
Louise
Apr 29, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, religion
The author's main point, that St. Francis of Assisi was in love with St. Clare of Assisi, is not well developed. The evidence presented, praying together at the start of their religious conversions and their later contact is interesting but not convincing.

The book covers other pieces of St. Francis's life. Of particular interest to me were his experiences on a Crusade and his illnesses and their treatments.

While there is some interesting material here, it needs more content. This is more like an
Fklicata
Jan 21, 2011 Fklicata rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with the quality of the research and the academic integrity that went into telling such a thoroughly personal story of the man who lived so many hundreds of years ago. His story is very compelling, beginning with his life as a spoiled playboy whose one ambition was to follow in the tradition of King Arthur's fabled Knights of the Roundtable, and ending with the founding of the Franciscan Order and his eventual sainthood. You don't have to be even remotely religious to apprec ...more
Sarah Klaassen
Oct 18, 2015 Sarah Klaassen rated it liked it
This is an easy-to-read introduction to the life of Saint Francis of Assisi. I appreciated her work with primary historical sources and the historical context. I was less taken by the way she speculatively filled in missing pieces, particularly around Francis' relationship with Clare. The work was also missing substantive engagement with Francis' own writings and his theology and mysticism and thus is far from a complete biography.
Margaret Sankey
Jul 23, 2011 Margaret Sankey rated it liked it
Murray places Sts. Francis and Clare in the context of their Umbrian home town and its 13th century social and economic norms to highlight the radical nature of their break from church practices and its political ramifications.
Diane C.
Oct 29, 2009 Diane C. rated it liked it
I found this a nice introductory book about the life of St. Francis, and also Umbrian history. Yet something was missing...........close but no cigar.

Also, it's difficult to relate to his and Clare's religious devotion in a modern context.
Jane
Aug 06, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
It was well written. The suggestion of a celibate attaction between Francis and Clare was an interesting premise which even the author admits does not hold water. I think she was trying to humanize the Saint.
I would read it again.
Karen
A good introduction to the life of St Francis of Assisi but there is rather a lot of speculation and while it reads well it just skims the surface of the issues she raises. This book is pleasant to read but you are unlikely to learn much new about St Francis from this work.
Bandknito
Bandknito rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Tim Hoiland
Tim Hoiland rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Anduine
Anduine rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Abby
Abby rated it it was ok
May 23, 2012
Dolores
Dolores rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Patricia Delucia
Patricia Delucia rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Ann
Ann rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Adam  Sell
Adam Sell rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2010
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Ondra Shafer
Ondra Shafer rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Steve O
Steve O rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Josh Mattson
Josh Mattson rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Patrick T.
Patrick T. rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Josephine Choi
Josephine Choi rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2010
Kristina Meschi
Kristina Meschi rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012