Start by marking “Regina's Song” as Want to Read:
Regina's Song

Regina's Song

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,700 ratings  ·  76 reviews
The beloved Eddings writing team, coauthors of the bestselling Belgariad and Malloreon fantasy series, now turn their creative storytelling skills to one of real life's most mysterious occurrences: the shared biology of twins and the uncanny bonds that arise from it. Part murder mystery, ghost story, and psychological thriller, "Regina's Song" masterfully fuses together el ...more
Published June 25th 2002 by Del Rey Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Regina's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regina's Song

Jeremy
There's not much to say about this book. The characters are flat, and story is predictable, the setting is forgettable, and the writing itself is bothersome. The entire work is written in a first person slang, but before you think of Clockwork, you should know that its bad slang. Characters are constantly asking for "the scoop," "hitting the bricks," or being "cutsey-poo." Or going to see Dockie-poo (a doctor), or Markie-poo, etc. The narrator is supposed to be a grad student in ENGLISH LITERATU ...more
Leia
May 12, 2011 Leia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: must-avoid, reviewed
Kara Kelly
The story idea was great, but the author completely ruined his own idea! First of all, the dialogue is beyond ridiculous and unrealistic, as is the idea that a future lawyer, professor, psychologist, and philosopher all live in a house where there is no drinking, no fornicating, and basically no fun at all on a college campus. Secondly, THE DIALOGUE was beyond ridiculous! I have to say it again! Thirdly, the trial is completely unrealistic. Here's a psychotic girl on stand for MURDER and the tri ...more
Jess
Wow.

I've always been a fan of David Eddings' work - I love the Belgariad/Malloreon series to bits and pieces (literally - I've worn out three copies of Pawn of Prophecy) and the Elenium/Tamuli only slightly less so.

However, I never read any of his non-fantasy work, because back when I discovered Eddings, Fantasy is all I would read. My tastes have branched out a lot in the intervening 15 (or so) years, so I was kind of excited about reading Regina's Song when an online book club I participate in
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in June 2003.

Most people are fascinated by the intimate relationship which exists between identical twins, and this forms the basis of the most recent novel from David and Leigh Eddings, one which edges into the horror genre - a new departure for the pair.

Regina and Renata Greenleaf were identical twins, who continued to use a private language between themselves long after most pairs have given it up - right through high school. (I was surprised not to find a
Sonja Venter
What a disappointment. They took a very interesting idea and what could have been an exciting psychological thriller and turned into a boring wishy-washy story. The narrative is so bogged down by useless details that it turns a character's stake out of a would be murderer into about as much fun as reading about paint drying. The characters' dialogue between each other is supposed to convey a fondness and a closeness but instead comes off as dumb and unrealistic and very forced. Then there's the ...more
Pygmy
Oh David Eddings....how I loved your stuff when I was wee and just learning about the wonders of fantasy. Even now I think back fondly on the Belgariad, the sequel series, and that other series with the Sparhawk dude. But it's been many years since I've read them, and now, after reading this ridiculously tepid offering, I'm afraid to ever go back for fear of destroying my happy childhood memories.

The premise itself sounded compelling, but execution was laughable. The characters all sounded the s
Monique
Hmm am I losing my touch or am I just really hard on books nowadays, either way this book was a true dud to me and I couldn't wait to finish it, contemplated stopping the book altogether at least ten times and now can finally return it to the bowels of the library and try to forget I ever read it..why oh why,.So this story starts off okay with a guy Mark and his childhood friends he calls the Twinkie Twins as they grow up with the twins constantly changing identities and with one even their pare ...more
Floria Taylor
I just finished reading this book. It was sent to me along with a bunch of other books by my brother. At first I didn't quit understand why he would read this kind of book because it is not usually the type he would read. I understand now. This book is about identical twins who are so much alike that even their own parents cannot tell them apart. The irony of this book and my brother reading it is that WE have always been mistaken as twins even though he was born 15 months before me, yet we have ...more
Kate
Ugh. This book is, unfortunately, a waste of a really interesting idea for a novel. The heavy handed, smugly superior male privilege exhibited by all the male characters made me want to hurl. The conversations were often stilted, and characters went on pointless rambles filled with information we didn't need. The supernatural elements were too little, too late, and felt out of place with the rest of the novel. Disappointing.
Z
Not a bad foray into Stephen King territory for the fantasy tag-team of David and Leigh Eddings. I particularly liked how well Seattle and the surrounding area is drawn - it's obvious the authors have spent time here and know their way around, which makes the book all the more "real." More creepy than scary, it was a good choice at the library one rainy day.
Noora
Eddingsien olisi pitänyt pysyä fantasiassa, murhamysteeri ei toimi lainkaan. kieli on omituista (voi olla myös suomentajan syytä) ja töksähtelevää, epäolennaisia asioita kerrotaan ja juoni on todella ennalta-arvattava. Loppua kohden kirja paranee, mutta jää silti kovin köyhäksi. kirja ei kerro mitään, mitä ei olisi aiemmin kerrottu.
Definitely not Eddings usual fare. Dark and disturbing, and I promise you this- reading this book alone at night on the Underground.

This is much more straightforward reality for Eddings, with only a hit of the supernatural, and it is also lacking in the humor that so defines most of his books.
Matthew
Well... the back of the book gives away most of the story. It takes a really long time to get to the twist and its more or less obvious all along. And it seems a bit too fascinated with its ability to "write" and "psychologize". And think about crazy people in general. And then... all the characters, like in David Eddings' other books, are archetypal. It feels... a bit 1950s. Or racist. The women are... womanly. The black men are... stereotypical. It doesn't feel like a book written in 2002.

All
Kalenedral_9
I'm 44 and have been reading (and re-reading) David Eddings since I have been 14. Prior to today I have read Regina's Song once before albeit many, many moons ago.

The story and story premise I found to be interesting and entertaining, however, there was a definite disconnect for me that prevented me from really enjoying the reading experience.

I found the voice and style of this work to be more 'Early Heinlein' than 'Eddings.' A very strange combination indeed.

I'd only recommended Regina's Son
Anniina
Simply the worst book I have ever read in my life. Total waste of time.
Bart Breen
Spencer Schroeder
Nov 19, 2008 Spencer Schroeder rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Murder Mysteries, fans of Eddings' other work, etc
Recommended to Spencer by: My Grandma
Alissa
This really the only thriller-type book I have ever enjoyed reading. David Eddings (as I feel like I made abundantly clear a few days ago) is one of my all time favorite authors and I was skeptical about reading this.

At its core, its a murder mystery. But as with everything Eddings’ does, its more than that. We’ve got magical realism and intrigue and a narrator that I simply adore.

“Regina’s Song” has become a book that I binge read on overcast days. Its set in Seattle, which might have a little
Michele
Alas, everything about this book annoyed me, and I do mean everything. The dialog is flat and artificial, crammed with cliches and bad/outdated slang, despite the fact that the narrator is supposed to be a PhD in English [1]. The characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting, and the male characters consistently demonstrate a condescending 1950s-era attitude towards women (and others) [2]. The plot is full of holes and irrelevancies [3], and a fairly appalling lack of any sort of moral or eth ...more
Melody
Jasmine "Geoffery Crescent" Woods
The blurb on the back of this book promises, 'a tense, chilling story of a nightmare coming true...part murder mystery, ghost story and psychological thriller...elements that elicit our deepest, darkest fears.' Um, no not really...

If you go into this book expecting to be scared, you'll be disappointed. Apart from a few gross moments when the kills are described the book isn't really scary at all.

Nor does it work particularly well as a psychological thriller. It's obvious who the killer is from t
Nola
I love David (and the ever-silent Leigh) Eddings. I enjoy every fantasy book he has written. This book, however, is outside of their general genre, and just doesn't work for me. In fact, I was several chapters in when I realized that I may have actually read the novel before, but blocked it out...call it a self-protective fugue.

The story itself has some interesting potential - one of a pair of identical twins is murdered and the other has amnesia, so no one is sure which twin survived. But, oddl
Leah-kay
I was 'weeding' and this book came up for review. I'm glad I checked it out and took it home. I've now "discovered' David Eddings and happy to see he has quite a collection of interesting books! This eerie book had me going back to it to finish and to find out who really IS Regina… My only regret is he didn't truly explain the …. Well, I wouldn't want to give THAT away!
Agata Salim
a strong story.
i couldn't find the exact word to describe my experience when reading this book-a mixture of excitement, apprehension, and wariness...
but all in all, it was a great book.
not your regular happy ending book with clear distinction between good and evil, i remember that as i closed the book, i was just glad that it was over for the twins.
Andrew
This was the first David Eddings book I read which had no trolls, magic or any fantasy stuff I started loving Eddings for. I was not sure then I started reading if I would like it, because I was more into fantasy stuff (or so I thought) but still decided to give it a try. I could not into characters as much as with other kind of books, so it felt more like listening to someone telling his story and not like reliving it myself but it still had mellow feeling to it. Probably most that I didn't lik ...more
Karkeologi
Jynx Goxoom
Jp
I'm a big fan of David Eddings, but this was a book that I hadn't read. A modern story with the trademark Eddings style: a team of people with special skills and knowledge, a troubled woman and a hint of magic and mystery.

It was an interesting little romp. Even more special, because I know that now that David Eddings and his wife Leigh Eddings are no longer with us, there won't be any more from them.
Marydalene
This book is a fast-paced narrative, and has a fairly tight plot. The main character is like a modern-day Belgarath (from his popular series, The Belgariad Boxed Set): blunt, plain spoken and nonchalant about how others view him. So, it is fairly fun to read from that perspective, as Belgarath always has been one of my favorite literary characters.

However, the plot is also utterly predictable. There were no surprises from this "suspense-thriller," and the book jacket practically gives away the
  • Mage of Clouds (The Cloudmages, Book 2)
  • Freedom's Sisters (The Dead Rivers Trilogy, #3)
  • Murder in Tarsis (Dragonlance: Classics, #1; Forgotten Realms: Mysteries, #3)
  • Realty Check
  • The Stone Boy
  • King of Shadows (Sword in Exile, #2)
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • Detective Stories
  • Animist
  • The Cursed Land (Magic: The Gathering)
  • Johan (Magic: The Gathering: Legends Cycle, #1)
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
  • The Four Last Things (Roth, #1)
  • Visual Thinking for Design
  • Anita Blake Vampire Hunter CD Collection 2: The Harlequin, Blood Noir
  • Morningstar
  • Doctor Who: Divided Loyalties
  • Jailbait Zombie (Felix Gomez, #4)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he
More about David Eddings...
Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5) Belgarath the Sorcerer Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4) Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)