Start by marking “Poetry for Young People: Walt Whitman” as Want to Read:
Poetry for Young People: Walt Whitman

Poetry for Young People: Walt Whitman (Poetry for Young People)

"An outstanding introduction to Whitman's life and work. This superb volume can be used to teach literature or to show a variety of poetic devices and style."--"School Library Journal"
Published April 1st 2008 by Sterling (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry for Young People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry for Young People

Lstirl
Dec 02, 2008 Lstirl rated it really liked it
A nicely illustrated introduction to the classic poetry of Walt Whitman.

Ages 10-16

I hate to disagree with classics but I found the majority of this book to be tedious to read silently to myself, I cannot imagine having a sit down read aloud with a small child of this entire volume, front to back. I appreciate the premise behind this book as a way of introducing the beauty of this classic poetry, however, I would argue that these poems need to be appreciated one or two at a time for a young child
Cynthia
Mar 23, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Summary
This book of poems by Walt Whitman begins with Levin describing Whitman’s life and the subjects he write about in his poems. Whitman loved to travel and write about the common everyday people and things he encountered on these travels. During the early stages of his writing, people didn’t have an open mind for the structure and subjects of his works. Reading through the poems gives you the feeling of being with Whitman on his journeys throughout the land. The brightly colored illustration
Johncady
Sep 26, 2012 Johncady rated it it was amazing
Walt Whitman was one of the most important and influential writers in American history, and this book is a good way to introduce new readers to his poetry. After the author biography, the first section of the book is mainly Whitman's poems about American society and life. The second portion focuses on his works surrounding the Civil War and the death of Abraham Lincoln, two events that he lived through and affected him as much as they affected the entire country. The last portion is some of his ...more
Miguel Padilla
Dec 18, 2016 Miguel Padilla rated it it was amazing
I liked this poetry book. It talked a lot about the past during the Civil War. One of my favorite poems in this book is "O Captain!" "My Captain!". It Talks about the end of the Civil War and that the plan to end slavery was a success. But at the end of every stanza, it say "Where on the deck my captain lies, Fallen cold and dead." This refers to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. I recommend this book to people who love poetry and like to read Walt Whitman's poetry.
Alma
Dec 03, 2011 Alma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-2010-11
Levin, Jonathan. Poetry for Young People, Walt Whitman. Scholastic. 1997. 48 pp. ISBN: 0439375452. Genre: Poetry, Non-fiction, series
Rating: 4.00 Stars. A collection of poems written by Walt Whitman.

Summary: At the beginning of the book, there is a brief summary about Walt Whitman. The remaining of the book is a collection of poems written by Walt Whitman, edited by Jonathan Levin and beautiful pictures illustrated by Jim Burke. Poems also contain a brief summary, giving the setting of when the
Tanya Diehl
While I am an avid reader, I rarely like poetry. This book is a mix of poettry by Walt Whitman. Often it is excerpts of the poems. I tried to find one that I liked and I couldn't. If kids are interested in poetry, I imagine this would be a good book to recommend. It has colorful drawings and it tells what some of the words mean at the bottom of each page. For me though, the most interesting part of the book was the 5 page biography at the beginning of the book.
jacky
Nov 19, 2007 jacky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
I don't like Whitman as much as Frost and Dickinson, so that made an impact on my judgment of this book. Like the others in this series, I think a book such as this is a good way to introduce "classic" poems to kids, and the illustrations, although literal, are helpful for comprehension.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young poets
Shelves: children-s, classic
A good selection of poems from Whitman that children could enjoy. I thought the illustrations matched the style of the poetry. No need to argue Whitman's place in literature although he is probably not my favorite poet.
Theresa
Apr 30, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
a good selection of poems
and information about the poems explaining them to children
i love the way this series presents the poems with beautiful pictures and explianations
Theresa
Apr 30, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good selection of poems
and information about the poems explaining them to children
Kim Amberg
Kim Amberg rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Annika Garbers
Annika Garbers rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2010
Alena McCarthy
Alena McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Emily Bandas
Emily Bandas rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Bree
Bree rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Ashley Carr
Ashley Carr rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2010
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2009
Mel
Mel rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2012
Josh Sackmann
Josh Sackmann rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
  • Poetry for Young People: William Shakespeare
  • Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes
  • Poetry for Young People: Maya Angelou
  • Winter Poems
  • Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD) (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • A Child's Anthology of Poetry
  • Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant: and Other Poems
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • Truckery Rhymes
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
  • Antarctic Antics: A Book of Penguin Poems
  • The Tree Is Older Than You Are: A Bilingual Gathering of Poems & Stories from Mexico
  • Meow Ruff: A Story in Concrete Poetry
  • Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...

Poetry for Young People (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Poetry for Young People: Maya Angelou