Start by marking “Chosen Forever: a memoir” as Want to Read:
Chosen Forever: a memoir

Chosen Forever: a memoir

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  57 reviews
“Richards reflects on how rich life becomes when one travels her own best path. . . . Richards writes more courageously than she perhaps realizes, and each page of this uplifting book will touch a chord in everyone who enjoyed her first book.”-- Booklist

“Charismatic. . . Engaging writing by an honest self-explorer.”-- Kirkus Reviews

Praise for Chosen by a Horse:

“An in
Published June 1st 2008 by Soho Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen Forever

Jan
Lay Me Down is the horse that changed Susan Richards' life. This book is about her prior book, "Chosen by a Horse", the book tours she took, the feelings she had, falling in love and reaching retirement. I felt it was more of a self exploration than a memoir but was insightful and touching.
~mad
Oct 27, 2008 ~mad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to ~mad by: Wanda
Shelves: booksiveread
sequel to "Chosen By a Horse" - so I know it's going to be abslutely wonderful.

October 2008 - I finished this after some time. I so much related to this author - she is retirement age, which I am closing in on. So many of her thoughts about midlife and transitioning lifestyles were great insights for me. Her quotes found their way into my journal.

Probably would not recommend this to younger friends, unless they just wanted to hear "her" point of view - they are lovely stories.
~Mad
Kallejay
I think I got this book becuase I thought it was her great memoir "Chosen Forever." However, it was just a long book about that book and how great it was. Oh, and she falls in love, but it's mostly about doing book tours and descriptions of book stores. It made me crazy wishing I was reading the real book rather than the book about the book. Grrr
Lis Carey
Susan Richards rescued a horse named Lay Me Down, and changed her own life. Then, after Lay Me Down's death, she wrote a book about her, and did a book tour, and changed her life again. This is the story of that book tour, and if you think that's an unpromising topic, you're in for a delightful surprise.

Caring for Lay Me Down helped Susan Richards take the first real steps towards recovery from her emotionally isolated childhood, abusive marriage, and severe anxiety disorder. Writing about the e
David Szatkowski
This is an enjoyable memoir. I actually did not read Susan Richard's first book, but in fact this book is about writing the first book "Chosen by a Horse", but not that I have rad this book (OK, listed to it on audio), I intend to read it as well. Susan Richards examines her own life and choices, and in so doing helps the reader have similar introspection.
Shella
Susan Richards is a writer, but no one appreciates her, but she just wrote a book called 'Chosen by a horse', and that book makes her really famous, in the chapter that I am reading now, she is going through a lot of readings, and interviews, but the story is actually about a horse, a book, and 'finding love', Susan Richards was really tired for doing the reading session, she even have a reading tour, but there was this man, who she met along time ago, and she just saw him, saw him in her readin ...more
Melissa
Although it was nice to see that Lay me down had such a positive effect in Susans life, I found the book a little repetative. However, congrats to susan on her having found her family and having such a positive life despite the hardships she suffered in the beginning.
Kristi
I've not read to many memoirs, but the ones I have read have been really good to include this one. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading her first one that this one is kinda based off of.
Hollie
I like Susan Richards because she's almost as anxiety-prone as I am. This is her take on a book tour that was never supposed to happen, and how it reconnected her with many friends and family members from her past. If there is one thing I would change, it would be that I read her NYT best-selling memoir "Chosen By A Horse," first, because she makes constant references to it throughout this book and it's difficult, not knowing the entire story. For anyone who likes or dreams of living in the coun ...more
Peggy
Richard's memoir relates the agony and uncertaincies of her first book tour. I have not read her first book (the book for which she was doing readings), Chosen by a Horse, but I will. After countless rejections by editors, her first memoir about her beloved horse was published. Then the real work begain--endless traveling and readings. Sometimes only one or two people showed up. The book also recounts Richard's later-in-life romance and subsequent marriage to photographer, Dennis Stock. I immedi ...more
Mike Rabasco
A wonderful book,A very easy read.
Sasha
This follow up to "Chosen by a Horse" was an interesting peek into Richards' life after she published her first book. She details her experiences of the book tour, reconnecting with people from her childhood, and relationship struggles with insight and honesty. The narrative is punctuated by wry humor and stories of her animals, which will please fans of her first book. There are little nuggets of wisdom throughout, but the focus of this book is more human than horse (unlike her first book). A s ...more
Sherryl
To begin with, I am not much of a memoir person, but I read her first memoir, Chosen By A Horse, and absolutely loved it, so I thought I would give this one a try. It was nothing compared to the first book. It was basically just describing how if felt to get her first book noticed - going through book readings and appearances at book stores, overcoming some of her fears and becoming reunited with all of the friends and love ones she lost through out her life.
EMP
2.5 stars. First of all, if I picked this one up and hadn't recently finished Chosen by a Horse (which I liked very much), there's no WAY I would have finished it. IMO, this is not a stand-alone book - unless you really dig reading about what small book tours are like. I only enjoyed it as much as I did because I felt I knew the author's backstory and how far she'd come. Do yourself a favor. Read her first book and then if you really love it, grab this one.
Faithann
Although I didn't like it as much as I did Chosen By a Horse, this was still an excellent book and definintely worth reading. I found it intersting to follow her as she went about publishing Chosen By a Horse, going on her book tour, and finding the love of her life. I think the book could have done with a little less of the flash backs. They were needed in some parts, but other parts I found them to be slightly irrelevant to the story.
Self
I'm giving this a low rating just because I wasn't feeling like this had as much of a story or freshness to it as her previous book (chosen by a horse) did.
Yes, I am a harsh critic. Picky reader I guess.
I stuck with it for lack of anything else to read at the moment. I admire her fortitude and can appreciate what she has been through and done with her life, just hope the next book has more oomph to it.
Barb
I appreciated Susan Richards honesty, bearing her soul and I enjoyed hearing her story. I am going to think about her belief that animals send us reliable true signs that we should listen to.

I am happy for her and the joy and contentment that she has found it her life. I appreciate that she shared her life story. I am really looking forward to reading Chosen by a Horse.
Garynvirg
Interesting how Susan Richards' describes her anxiety, grief and anger and how she was able to overcome it all through the love of a horse and later a man! "People and events come into our lives for specific reasons and if we pay attention, we can learn extraordinary things. We can grow and, sometimes, even conquer our worst fears." S.R.
Jan Tonner
I randomly picked up this book because it was in the format that was convenient for me (mp3) and looked interesting.

I immediately liked the author and enjoyed listening to her story (I think because I could relate in many ways).

Chosen By A Horse, the book that this book is about, sounds like something I would enjoy reading.
Marcelle
Story of a woman who wrote a book and what happened to her as she set out to promote it and reacquainted herself with her past friends and family AND future husband. I enjoy how Susan Richards writes - it's easy and enjoyable reading. This book would not appeal to the younger set but would to those in their "middle" years!
Kathleen Kelley
I didn't like this book at all and by the end of it I hated the author too. The whole book is about the good book (not this one) that she wrote previously. I found it to be boastful, boring, self-serving and a complete waste of time. I doubt very much I'll read any other books by this author.
Peggy Hess Greenawalt
I liked this memoir a lot...not as much as Chosen By a Horse, but it was still interesting to learn about the author's life after Lay Me Down. I appreciate the challenges that Susan has overcome, and how her writing helps her heal. She shares her story well and maybe helps other in the process.
Katie Kinsey
I Love Susan Richards Chosen by a Horse, and was so looking forward to loving this memoir, but I didn't. It just didn't flow the way I hoped. I still enjoyed that she fell in love and got to travel. I'm happy I read it, but wouldn't recomend it like the first book.
Mstucki1
I really loved Susan Richards' first book "Chosen By A Horse"; this was not up to par with that one. She is an excellent author and you feel like you're her best friend but really enjoyed hearing about her animals better than all of her book readings!
Cristy
"Chosen Forever" was a great continuation of Susan Richards' first book. I was thrilled to find she had written a second book, and I began reading it immediately after finishing "Chosen by a Horse." I love the happy ending! It moved me deeply!
Jen
Susan Richards just became my favorite author. I love the stories she tells and the way she tells them. The whole book is about all of the things that changed for her after her first book (Chosen by a Horse) was published. I loved it.
Barbara
Interesting story. Rambles a little.
Great to read a story about an older less than perfect woman who finds love and success later in life.
The last sentence sums up the whole book, if you want to finish the book real fast.
Tara Choate
I didn't think this book was as strong as her first, and I have a prejudice about books about writing books. However, I have also never heard anyone write about anxiety this way; as a sufferer, I really felt a strong connection.
Terry
May 10, 2010 Terry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Terry by: Found inside back cover of Chosen By A Horse
A very touching book about a woman's love for horses and how in undserstanding another living being can open your eyes to understanding things within your own life. How loving something so much can change your life forever.
Esther Bradley-detally
The third book in a series of must reads; delightful writing, honest, human, and totally wonderful; I wish this author the moon, the sun, the stars and the sky, and btw, that would be nice for everyone else too!
Chosen Forever 1 10 Apr 13, 2009 05:53PM
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • Angel Horses: Divine Messengers of Hope
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Falling for Eli: How I Lost Heart, Then Gained Hope Through the Love of a Singular Horse
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Mustang: The Saga of the Wild Horse in the American West
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Equus: The Creation of a Horse (Evergreens)
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Broken: A Love Story - Horses, Humans, and Redemption on the Wind River Indian Reservation
Chosen by a Horse Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free Lost and Found in Russia: Lives in the Post-Soviet Landscape Chosen by a Horse: How a Broken Horse Fixed a Broken Heart Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me in and Set Me Free