Start by marking “Chosen Forever: a memoir” as Want to Read:
Chosen Forever: a memoir

Chosen Forever: a memoir

“Richards reflects on how rich life becomes when one travels her own best path. . . . Richards writes more courageously than she perhaps realizes, and each page of this uplifting book will touch a chord in everyone who enjoyed her first book.”-- Booklist

“Charismatic. . . Engaging writing by an honest self-explorer.”-- Kirkus Reviews

Praise for Chosen by a Horse:

“An in
Published June 1st 2008 by Soho Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen Forever

Jan
Jul 18, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, memoir
Lay Me Down is the horse that changed Susan Richards' life. This book is about her prior book, "Chosen by a Horse", the book tours she took, the feelings she had, falling in love and reaching retirement. I felt it was more of a self exploration than a memoir but was insightful and touching.
~mad
Sep 24, 2008 ~mad rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ~mad by: Wanda
Shelves: booksiveread
sequel to "Chosen By a Horse" - so I know it's going to be abslutely wonderful.

October 2008 - I finished this after some time. I so much related to this author - she is retirement age, which I am closing in on. So many of her thoughts about midlife and transitioning lifestyles were great insights for me. Her quotes found their way into my journal.

Probably would not recommend this to younger friends, unless they just wanted to hear "her" point of view - they are lovely stories.
~Mad
Kallejay
Jul 21, 2010 Kallejay rated it it was ok
I think I got this book becuase I thought it was her great memoir "Chosen Forever." However, it was just a long book about that book and how great it was. Oh, and she falls in love, but it's mostly about doing book tours and descriptions of book stores. It made me crazy wishing I was reading the real book rather than the book about the book. Grrr
Claudia Hodges
Oct 10, 2016 Claudia Hodges rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Loved Richards' Chosen by a Horse so much I wanted to read this one. It's totally different, but I loved it too! She's a great writer! I love her mix of humor and honesty about hard times in her life and how she overcame them. I still think of her often and wonder how she is getting on now.
Lis Carey
Susan Richards rescued a horse named Lay Me Down, and changed her own life. Then, after Lay Me Down's death, she wrote a book about her, and did a book tour, and changed her life again. This is the story of that book tour, and if you think that's an unpromising topic, you're in for a delightful surprise.

Caring for Lay Me Down helped Susan Richards take the first real steps towards recovery from her emotionally isolated childhood, abusive marriage, and severe anxiety disorder. Writing about the e
Maureen
Jul 22, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chosen Forever is based on horses in which I love horses my self. It also continues from the story chosen by a horse. It also talks about healing relationships with horses.

As the story is more about a memoir as it also focus on the same characters as in the story chosen forever. In this story ,She points him out to her friend and says that if she were to ever date again, she'd want the man she dated to look just like him. Later, she finds out he’s actually not married to the woman he’s with; she
Stephanie A.
I loved Chosen By A Horse, and couldn't understand why Saddled later showed up next to it at the library, but not this one. Now I do -- despite the cover, it's not about horses at all, it's about the book tour and what life was like after being published, like many quick sequels to bestselling memoirs. It's interesting detail, just not as memorable, though cute dogs/dog stories abound and I was pleasantly charmed by her apparently fated-to-be relationship with Dennis (a surprisingly famous photo ...more
Shella
Feb 18, 2011 Shella rated it it was amazing
Susan Richards is a writer, but no one appreciates her, but she just wrote a book called 'Chosen by a horse', and that book makes her really famous, in the chapter that I am reading now, she is going through a lot of readings, and interviews, but the story is actually about a horse, a book, and 'finding love', Susan Richards was really tired for doing the reading session, she even have a reading tour, but there was this man, who she met along time ago, and she just saw him, saw him in her readin ...more
Peggy
Apr 28, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Richard's memoir relates the agony and uncertaincies of her first book tour. I have not read her first book (the book for which she was doing readings), Chosen by a Horse, but I will. After countless rejections by editors, her first memoir about her beloved horse was published. Then the real work begain--endless traveling and readings. Sometimes only one or two people showed up. The book also recounts Richard's later-in-life romance and subsequent marriage to photographer, Dennis Stock. I immedi ...more
Hollie
Nov 09, 2009 Hollie rated it liked it
I like Susan Richards because she's almost as anxiety-prone as I am. This is her take on a book tour that was never supposed to happen, and how it reconnected her with many friends and family members from her past. If there is one thing I would change, it would be that I read her NYT best-selling memoir "Chosen By A Horse," first, because she makes constant references to it throughout this book and it's difficult, not knowing the entire story. For anyone who likes or dreams of living in the coun ...more
Sasha
Dec 05, 2010 Sasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This follow up to "Chosen by a Horse" was an interesting peek into Richards' life after she published her first book. She details her experiences of the book tour, reconnecting with people from her childhood, and relationship struggles with insight and honesty. The narrative is punctuated by wry humor and stories of her animals, which will please fans of her first book. There are little nuggets of wisdom throughout, but the focus of this book is more human than horse (unlike her first book). A s ...more
Sheryl Wagner
Feb 25, 2016 Sheryl Wagner rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...such an honest memoir of what happens unexpectedly and as a result of living life in a meaningful way, growing and doing what you are meant to be doing at the moment. The reader can identify with a love that starts as a curiosity, moves on to interest with careful observation, then balances criticism with hope for possibilities, and finally blossoms into a warm, caring love that envelopes her, filling in the needy places that Susan's horses (read her previous works) fell shor ...more
Self
Aug 16, 2008 Self rated it did not like it
I'm giving this a low rating just because I wasn't feeling like this had as much of a story or freshness to it as her previous book (chosen by a horse) did.
Yes, I am a harsh critic. Picky reader I guess.
I stuck with it for lack of anything else to read at the moment. I admire her fortitude and can appreciate what she has been through and done with her life, just hope the next book has more oomph to it.
Sherryl
Aug 08, 2008 Sherryl rated it it was ok
To begin with, I am not much of a memoir person, but I read her first memoir, Chosen By A Horse, and absolutely loved it, so I thought I would give this one a try. It was nothing compared to the first book. It was basically just describing how if felt to get her first book noticed - going through book readings and appearances at book stores, overcoming some of her fears and becoming reunited with all of the friends and love ones she lost through out her life.
EMP
Nov 18, 2013 EMP rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. First of all, if I picked this one up and hadn't recently finished Chosen by a Horse (which I liked very much), there's no WAY I would have finished it. IMO, this is not a stand-alone book - unless you really dig reading about what small book tours are like. I only enjoyed it as much as I did because I felt I knew the author's backstory and how far she'd come. Do yourself a favor. Read her first book and then if you really love it, grab this one.
Faithann
Sep 05, 2010 Faithann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Although I didn't like it as much as I did Chosen By a Horse, this was still an excellent book and definintely worth reading. I found it intersting to follow her as she went about publishing Chosen By a Horse, going on her book tour, and finding the love of her life. I think the book could have done with a little less of the flash backs. They were needed in some parts, but other parts I found them to be slightly irrelevant to the story.
David Szatkowski
May 21, 2014 David Szatkowski rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable memoir. I actually did not read Susan Richard's first book, but in fact this book is about writing the first book "Chosen by a Horse", but not that I have rad this book (OK, listed to it on audio), I intend to read it as well. Susan Richards examines her own life and choices, and in so doing helps the reader have similar introspection.
MJ
May 25, 2015 MJ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pamela Cooper
This is the 2nd of Susan's memoirs. If I had known that before I began, I would have read it later. It was excellent.

It's the story of how Susan wrote her first memoir andhow she got it published and the role her horses and husband played in the process.

I loved her style, her way of bringing me into herlife and her imagery. She had my attention from the beginning and throughout.
Barb
Feb 20, 2009 Barb rated it really liked it
I appreciated Susan Richards honesty, bearing her soul and I enjoyed hearing her story. I am going to think about her belief that animals send us reliable true signs that we should listen to.

I am happy for her and the joy and contentment that she has found it her life. I appreciate that she shared her life story. I am really looking forward to reading Chosen by a Horse.
Jan Tonner
I randomly picked up this book because it was in the format that was convenient for me (mp3) and looked interesting.

I immediately liked the author and enjoyed listening to her story (I think because I could relate in many ways).

Chosen By A Horse, the book that this book is about, sounds like something I would enjoy reading.
Garynvirg
Interesting how Susan Richards' describes her anxiety, grief and anger and how she was able to overcome it all through the love of a horse and later a man! "People and events come into our lives for specific reasons and if we pay attention, we can learn extraordinary things. We can grow and, sometimes, even conquer our worst fears." S.R.
Marcelle
Jul 30, 2008 Marcelle rated it liked it
Story of a woman who wrote a book and what happened to her as she set out to promote it and reacquainted herself with her past friends and family AND future husband. I enjoy how Susan Richards writes - it's easy and enjoyable reading. This book would not appeal to the younger set but would to those in their "middle" years!
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Even tho I read this one first, it flowed wonderfully. Then, I had to go back and read the original book too. Glad I did. The witty humor and ability to laugh at herself make these books a joy to read.
Rhonda Mcclure
Sep 22, 2009 Rhonda Mcclure rated it really liked it
If you've read "Chosen by a Horse," then this book is worth your time -- a more indepth look into Susan Richard's life - - at the end of the book, it kind of felt like leaving a friend you may never "see" again.
Kzdt
Aug 27, 2008 Kzdt rated it did not like it
I loved "Chosen by a Horse". This was just OK. I would rather hear her memoirs regarding the animals in her life. She spent a great deal of her time remembering readings for the sale of her first book.
Cristy
Aug 14, 2012 Cristy rated it it was amazing
"Chosen Forever" was a great continuation of Susan Richards' first book. I was thrilled to find she had written a second book, and I began reading it immediately after finishing "Chosen by a Horse." I love the happy ending! It moved me deeply!
Barbara
Interesting story. Rambles a little.
Great to read a story about an older less than perfect woman who finds love and success later in life.
The last sentence sums up the whole book, if you want to finish the book real fast.
Kathleen Kelley
Feb 13, 2012 Kathleen Kelley rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book at all and by the end of it I hated the author too. The whole book is about the good book (not this one) that she wrote previously. I found it to be boastful, boring, self-serving and a complete waste of time. I doubt very much I'll read any other books by this author.
Terry
May 10, 2010 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Terry by: Found inside back cover of Chosen By A Horse
A very touching book about a woman's love for horses and how in undserstanding another living being can open your eyes to understanding things within your own life. How loving something so much can change your life forever.
Katie Kinsey
Jan 21, 2014 Katie Kinsey rated it liked it
Shelves: done
I Love Susan Richards Chosen by a Horse, and was so looking forward to loving this memoir, but I didn't. It just didn't flow the way I hoped. I still enjoyed that she fell in love and got to travel. I'm happy I read it, but wouldn't recomend it like the first book.
Chosen Forever 1 11 Apr 13, 2009 05:53PM
  • Angel Horses: Divine Messengers of Hope
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Inspirational Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion
  • Funny Cide
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Equus: The Creation of a Horse
  • Falling for Eli: How I Lost Heart, Then Gained Hope Through the Love of a Singular Horse
  • Mustang: The Saga of the Wild Horse in the American West
  • Broken: A Love Story - Horses, Humans, and Redemption on the Wind River Indian Reservation
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Horses Never Lie about Love: The Heartwarming Story of a Remarkable Horse Who Changed the World Around Her
  • She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman's Soul
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses

“Perhaps that is why we humans are so devoted to animals, because they are not turned off by the outward appearances people so often judge us by.We may love horses for their sheer beauty but I don’t think they fall in love with us for ours. Nor do they need to know how much we have achieved or how we rank on a best-seller list. They accept us for who we are.” 0 likes