Start by marking “Introduction to Biblical Interpretation: Revised and Expanded” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Biblical Interpretation: Revised and Expanded

Introduction to Biblical Interpretation: Revised and Expanded

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  400 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The authors of this book have combined years of expertise and devotion to Scripture to provide a truly unique volume that sets forth concise, logical, practical guidelines for discovering the truth in God's Word. Ten years after its initial publication, the authors now have thoroughly updated it in light of the latest scholarship.

"This is a remarkably comprehensive study o
Published July 6th 2004 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 2nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Biblical Interpretation

Ryan Linkous
Nov 24, 2014 Ryan Linkous rated it liked it
This book does a good job as a comprehensive introduction to hermeneutics. Especially helpful is the authors' extended introduction covering the history of interpretation. This helps give a lot of perspective on the journey hermeneutics has taken in the past 2000 years. One thing that would have helped this book is more concrete examples of the entire exegetical process. It does have a few and seminary classes that use it surely will practice, but this would have improved its usability for pasto ...more
Jonathan P.
Review:
Hermeneutics is a field that can be daunting at times because of its largely technical vocabulary and principles that it uses to interpret and understand the text. Unfamiliarity with the subject and the terms can erode concentration as well as wane interest in the perspective student. That is why I think “Introduction To Biblical Interpretation” written by a collaboration of three prominent scholars; William W. Klein, Craig L. Bloomberg, Robert L. Hubbard, Jr., have done a wonderful task
Eric
May 07, 2015 Eric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bible study teachers
Recommended to Eric by: Denver Seminary
I would have rated the book higher, but it was very uneven in its handling of the issues. The book finished strong (with examples of interpretation and discussion on applying what the Bible says). Its theoretical approach gave priority to the culture of the original author and reader (or listener), at the expense of the text itself. Instead, the starting point is "what does it say?" And then, in contextualizing what it says, the original Sitz in Leben is examined. I would not recommend this as a ...more
Deborah-Ruth
Jun 20, 2016 Deborah-Ruth rated it really liked it
Wow... I don't know if this is right to say, but this is one book I am proud of finishing. It's actually one of my assigned texts for seminary and I did read a number of the chapters previously, but I decided to read the whole thing over the past few months. It's incredibly deep and academic, but also brings with it many practical suggestions for how to accurately interpret the Bible in today's context. Some of the chapters were quite dry, but others I really enjoyed (particularly the ones relat ...more
Filip Sekkelsten
Jul 19, 2016 Filip Sekkelsten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teologi
Ekstremt god bok som gir et solid grunnlag for å bedrive eksegese. Som de sier, lever vi i en tid med mye tolkningsanalfabetisme, og denne boken er et stort steg i motsatt retning.
David 'Wavey' Cowpar
Jan 20, 2014 David 'Wavey' Cowpar rated it it was amazing
A wonderful introduction to interpreting the Scriptures. The book is very clear and the authors have clearly done a tonne of research into their topics. I would recommend this to any student of the Bible, whether academic or casual.

Learning about proper interpretation of Scripture would be so beneficial to the Church today. Proper tools to interpret the Bible would mean that so many more Christians would not read things like "God hates fags" into the pages of the Bible. Klein, Blomberg and Hubba
Brent McCulley
Nov 25, 2014 Brent McCulley rated it it was amazing
Klein, Blomberg, and Hubbard have contributed a serious formidable work to the art/science of biblical hermeneutics with their Introduction to Biblical Interpretation. Don't let the title fool you! Although it certainly stands as an introductory work, it is certainly not limited in scope, as it serves as an introduction to hermeneutics, albeit a rather exhaustive one.

Ranging from topics such in historical theology such as the history of interpretation, to the history of literary (higher) critici
Tim Floyd
Feb 22, 2013 Tim Floyd rated it it was amazing
The book Introduction to Biblical Interpretation was a very enjoyable read. The authors William M. Klein, Craig L. Blomberg and Robert L. Hubbard Jr did a very good job at conveying the topic of hermeneutics in a very detailed way yet not so scholarly that it wasn’t readable. I feel that this book was very informative and covered a broad spectrum of issues involved in hermeneutics. This paper will critique the major points of the book as well as discuss the strengths and weaknesses.
Part one of I
Taylor Rollo
May 15, 2012 Taylor Rollo rated it liked it
Shelves: interpretation
Review of Introduction to Biblical Interpretation by William W. Klein, Craig L. Blomberg, and Robert L. Hubbard Jr.

Most evangelical Christians would agree that Scripture was “given by inspiration of God to be the rule of faith and life.” Most would agree that it is the highest rule of faith and life for the Christian. However, the Scriptures are God’s written Word, which means they have to be read, interpreted, and applied for their rule to be more than just empty talk (not to mention, they must
Barry
Sep 18, 2014 Barry rated it liked it
Shelves: bible
This is a fine book. Very comprehensive and contains an abundance of information, tucking another abundance of information into the footnotes on every page. My problem with this book is in the title. When I hear the word "introduction" I think of a brief overview rather than an in depth one. Perhaps I'm being petty, but I think a more apt title is "An Overview of..." or "A Comprehensive Overview of..." I can't imagine the authors left many stones un-turned in their search for the ultimate introd ...more
Matt Chapman
Nov 21, 2014 Matt Chapman rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. One particular highlight among many was the section on Old Testament poetry.
Joshua Jones
Sep 09, 2015 Joshua Jones rated it it was amazing
Covers a host of issues. Academically rigorous and faithful to Scripture.
Senay
Mar 15, 2015 Senay marked it as to-read
Great expectations on how to interprete the word of God precisely
Joe Valenti
Feb 27, 2014 Joe Valenti rated it really liked it
This is an excellent text. I used this book as well as Grasping God's Word by Duvall and Hayes for a seminary course. Klein et al work through the basics of biblical interpretation in a very honest and clear manner. However, this book is more of an academic nature than the text by Duvall and Hayes. Nonetheless, this is a great primer for anyone interested in developing serious Bible study skills.
Dwight Davis
Nov 12, 2012 Dwight Davis rated it liked it
I'll be honest, I thought this was going to be terrible. Most books on biblical hermeneutics written by evangelicals aren't worth reading and usually amount to "It's true because it says that it is." Luckily this book avoids that and gives a fair treatment to most opposing viewpoints (with the exception of postmodernism. Evangelicals still can't seem to get that one right). This is a good entry into biblical hermeneutics, but a terrible finishing point.
Derek
Aug 11, 2011 Derek rated it really liked it
A great book on the topic of hermeneutics (proper way to read the Scriptures). Devotes two chapters to form criticism, (FC) one for OT & 1 for the NT. FC gives clearer understanding to Genre, which shapes the way you interpret & use the text. A must for any serious Bible student. Contains a wealth of Information and will definitely be a resource for future study.

Kim
Jul 17, 2016 Kim added it
Shelves: theology
Excellent textbook for hermeneutics, but definitely more advanced. This was for my seminary class, and the prof said specifically that he chose it because it is more dense than other books. I didn't find it dense, necessarily, but it was not for the beginner.
David Varney
Jan 25, 2013 David Varney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Great reference text full of clear argument and well laid out material. I prefer this to the similar level text by Osborne. The fact that this book combines the insights of three distinguished biblical scholars makes it all the stronger.
Kristen Davis
Oct 19, 2013 Kristen Davis rated it it was amazing
Great resource for learning how to better dig into scripture. Intermediate hermeneutics study.
Don
May 17, 2007 Don rated it really liked it
Talbot Course: Hermeneutics

Solid foundational Book for reading the Bible
TC
Jul 08, 2015 TC rated it liked it
This was the dominant text for one of my grad classes.
Demetrius Rogers
Sep 05, 2012 Demetrius Rogers rated it really liked it
Great intro to the field of Hermeneutics.
Chris Wheatley
Sep 15, 2007 Chris Wheatley rated it it was ok
Shelves: seminary
cant really remember this one too much...
Nov 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Read while at Crown.
Wade
Wade is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2016
Alan Hernandez
Alan Hernandez is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Eduard Iulian
Eduard Iulian rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • The Hermeneutical Spiral: A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors
  • Is There a Meaning in This Text?
  • Interpreting the Pauline Epistles
  • Introduction to Biblical Hermeneutics: The Search for Meaning
  • Old Testament Exegesis (3rd Edition)
  • Old Testament Textual Criticism: A Practical Introduction
  • A Survey of the New Testament
  • Christian Theology
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Exegetical Fallacies
  • A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
  • The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
  • Four Views on Moving beyond the Bible to Theology
  • Basics of Biblical Hebrew Grammar
Dr. William W. Klein is professor of New Testament at Denver Seminary and serves as Chair of the Division of Biblical Studies. He earned the Ph.D. degree from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, the M.Div. degree from Denver Seminary, and a B.S. degree from Wheaton College.

Dr. Klein has written articles for several biblical dictionaries and encyclopedias and has published chapters or essays in
More about William W. Klein...