Someone Like You

Someone Like You

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A master at touching readers' hearts, Barbara Bretton explores the emotional journey of two sisters and the healing truth of an unforgettable family legacy when an unexpected reunion inspires a better understanding of secrets and sacrifices.
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Like You

Shilpa Mudiganti
Someone Like You is typical American happy endings book that would reinforce your faith in humanity and guarantee a peaceful sleep in the night. It did for me at least! This is a story about two grown up sisters at two corners of the world trying to come in terms with their crazy mother's accident and the surprising events thereafter that explains (not negate) much of the heartburn that they went through during their difficult childhood. Most of the content of the story is about the inability of...more
Stasha
I really liked this story. It was different. I was not sure what to expect exactly, perhaps a sappy cheesy story about two girls holding grudges that were as nearly as old as they were. But infact I was pleasantly surprised.

Catherine "Cat" and Joely (I love that name!) Doyle are two sisters living separate lives who are suddenly brought together after a couple of years as a result of their mother Mimi's illness. Mimi has suffered mentally since her husband, the sisters' father, walked out of the...more
Lisa
As others said. Typical romance, mediocre. Underwhelming.

I realize that I don't like main characters who have problems expressing love (and here we had 2 of them). I'm sure the storyline appeals to some, but books I truly resonate with are the ones where the characters are warm, loving and involved. Or even if they are anguished, as were these 2, they are still aware of their hearts and yearnings. People I could see as being my own friends. Cat, the older sister, had some of that, but on the who...more
Sara
(view spoiler)
This book definetly lacked anything interesting happening. It could have used more drama, and not of the sisterly variety.
Not bad wr...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Two sisters struggle to come together when their formerly famous mom suffers a stroke and burns down her house, but their own issues with intimacy get in everyone’s way. Bretton’s book shows promise, but the story ends almost before it begins with a too convenient and hurried ending.

Amy R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Renee
For what it was- it was great. This book was like 328 pages of birthday cake. It was a typical character novel, with a very nice conclusion. In a world where things can feel depressing and you can get lost in your own mind full of worry, this book leaves you with a good feeling, and fills you with hope for the future. As cheesy as it sounds, it really serves its purpose.
Book Concierge
Typical romance, which is to say mediocre. Lots of angst and misunderstandings, fragile dysfunctional adults because of secret tragedies in their past, but the love of a good man (not to mention a talking to by your best gay friend) will set everything straight in a heartbeat.
Returning home to Maine for her mother's final days, Joely Doyle, by observing her sister's life, discovers the sacrifices that her mother made, her father's secrets, and the events that shaped her destiny and will define her future.
Marlyn
Read the large print. Enjoyed it very much, easy reading at a stressful time of my life. First time I've read any of Ms. Bretton's books so I will look for some more.
Peggy Parsons
Underwhelming. Storyline not big enough. No - I mean absolutely no - surprises.
Story of two sisters dealing with a disfunctional family and finding true love.
Yesica
Termine 2 chapters... atrapada
Donnajo
NL's book crawl Maine
Allison Smith
Allison Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
S
S marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Aisyah Roslan
Aisyah Roslan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Rettah
Rettah added it
Jun 24, 2014
Julie Croce
Julie Croce marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Melissa Moon
Melissa Moon marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Nicki Taylor
Nicki Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Taryn Finley
Taryn Finley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Mokona
Mokona added it
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer...more
More about Barbara Bretton...
Casting Spells (Sugar Maple, #1) Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2) Spun By Sorcery (Sugar Maple, #3) A Soft Place to Fall (Shelter Rock Cove, #1) At Last