Start by marking “Someone Like You” as Want to Read:
Someone Like You

Someone Like You (The Idle Point Stories #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
They were the daughters of music legends, the unforgettable Mark and Mimi Doyle, whose love story had been played out in the pages of Rolling Stone complete with quotes from Dylan and Baez. Folk rock’s forever couple.

Who would have guessed forever would end one cold winter morning when Mark walked out the door and never came back.

Now it’s thirty years later and his baby da
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Like You

Sandie Scott
Feb 11, 2016 Sandie Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love lasts forever

When your true love walks out of your life twenty-seven years ago, does that mean it's over? You would think you would get over it, even though you never forgot that person. Well this is a story about Mimi, who never gave up hope that she would ever see Mark again. His departure left a lot of unanswered questions and two daughters angry and not willing to believe that true love exists and lasts. Mimi was never the same after he left and that left 10 year old Catherine to raise
Eileen Carter
Once again an incredible story

This was the second book in the Idle Point series and it did not disappoint. Life at times can be difficult, especially if you are a child and your parents are famous or once were famous. Cat had always been there for Joelyn, from day one. She had to be since parenting wasn't one of the things that were top priority with either of her parents.
Fast forward 20 years, both Cat and Joelyn are grown women who know what they want, it so they think. Cat hasn't told anyone
Shilpa Mudiganti
Oct 22, 2011 Shilpa Mudiganti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone Like You is typical American happy endings book that would reinforce your faith in humanity and guarantee a peaceful sleep in the night. It did for me at least! This is a story about two grown up sisters at two corners of the world trying to come in terms with their crazy mother's accident and the surprising events thereafter that explains (not negate) much of the heartburn that they went through during their difficult childhood. Most of the content of the story is about the inability of ...more
Stasha
Sep 26, 2012 Stasha rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. It was different. I was not sure what to expect exactly, perhaps a sappy cheesy story about two girls holding grudges that were as nearly as old as they were. But infact I was pleasantly surprised.

Catherine "Cat" and Joely (I love that name!) Doyle are two sisters living separate lives who are suddenly brought together after a couple of years as a result of their mother Mimi's illness. Mimi has suffered mentally since her husband, the sisters' father, walked out of the
Terri
Dec 25, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Another great book by Barbara Bretton. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen to everyone in the book, but now's its over and I want more. Love how she tells a story, draws you in to the characters lives. Never a cliff hanger either. Each book seems better than the next. Can't wait for the next one.

Carol Greenwood
Dec 30, 2014 Carol Greenwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Shattered Family

jelly had never known her father. He left to go buy new guitar strings and never returned. Cat knew her father and had to raise her sister because her mother stopped trying. Such a dysfunctional family tries to deal with the mother's stroke and house fire.
Lisa
Jun 06, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
As others said. Typical romance, mediocre. Underwhelming.

I realize that I don't like main characters who have problems expressing love (and here we had 2 of them). I'm sure the storyline appeals to some, but books I truly resonate with are the ones where the characters are warm, loving and involved. Or even if they are anguished, as were these 2, they are still aware of their hearts and yearnings. People I could see as being my own friends. Cat, the older sister, had some of that, but on the who
Betty May
Jul 16, 2015 Betty May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a wonderful love story. It is filled
With a great cast of characters and the plot is a good read.
Marion Galvin
Jan 05, 2015 Marion Galvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just awesome

Read it with 2 bathroom stops and one meal lol. So well written and kept you enthralled. I laughed and cried it just sucked you in until the last word. Highly recommend.
Marguerite J. Mestayer
Good read

This book is a very unusual story. It held my attention till the very end. This is a new author for me but I will definitely look for more of her books.
nancy r rains
Jan 16, 2015 nancy r rains rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

I love Barbara Bretton's books. She always writes a good story that I have enjoyed til the end. I love the time travel ones.
NANCY ROEMISCH
Oct 19, 2015 NANCY ROEMISCH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

This book is an enjoyable read. I was expecting the end of the book to turn out the way it did.
Bchorvath
Feb 17, 2016 Bchorvath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Idle Point, Maine book 2, but this is a stand-alone book -- good story and good characters. Really enjoyed both books.
Karen
Dec 29, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Audiobook from Audible. Was a great listen.
Sara
Feb 27, 2011 Sara rated it it was ok
(view spoiler)
This book definetly lacked anything interesting happening. It could have used more drama, and not of the sisterly variety.
Not bad wr
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Two sisters struggle to come together when their formerly famous mom suffers a stroke and burns down her house, but their own issues with intimacy get in everyone’s way. Bretton’s book shows promise, but the story ends almost before it begins with a too convenient and hurried ending.

Amy R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Renee
May 29, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
For what it was- it was great. This book was like 328 pages of birthday cake. It was a typical character novel, with a very nice conclusion. In a world where things can feel depressing and you can get lost in your own mind full of worry, this book leaves you with a good feeling, and fills you with hope for the future. As cheesy as it sounds, it really serves its purpose.
Haley
Feb 11, 2016 Haley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
See full review: http://ilayreading.com/2016/02/11/som...

Barbara Bretton will continue to appear on my TBR for times just like these. I’ll always get in over my head with too many big brain books, and sometimes I just need a rest. Barbara Bretton is just the cure for intense book hangover.
Book Concierge
Mar 05, 2016 Book Concierge rated it it was ok
Typical romance, which is to say mediocre. Lots of angst and misunderstandings, fragile dysfunctional adults because of secret tragedies in their past, but the love of a good man (not to mention a talking to by your best gay friend) will set everything straight in a heartbeat.
Sep 30, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Returning home to Maine for her mother's final days, Joely Doyle, by observing her sister's life, discovers the sacrifices that her mother made, her father's secrets, and the events that shaped her destiny and will define her future.
Marlyn
Jul 23, 2013 Marlyn rated it really liked it
Read the large print. Enjoyed it very much, easy reading at a stressful time of my life. First time I've read any of Ms. Bretton's books so I will look for some more.
Susannah Carleton
Sep 02, 2015 Susannah Carleton rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. A tale of family and love and finding yourself and your place in life, in your family, and finding the love of your life.
Peggy Parsons
Apr 13, 2012 Peggy Parsons rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Underwhelming. Storyline not big enough. No - I mean absolutely no - surprises.
Feb 14, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Story of two sisters dealing with a disfunctional family and finding true love.
Yesica
Apr 14, 2010 Yesica rated it really liked it
Termine 2 chapters... atrapada
Donnajo
Mar 13, 2011 Donnajo rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
NL's book crawl Maine
Diane Williams
Diane Williams rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Gina Richards
Gina Richards is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2016
Carol Newall
Carol Newall rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2016
  • Rocky Road Trip (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #2)
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • Not That Kind of Girl (Dog Walkers, #3)
  • The Summer House
  • Mirror, Mirror (Love Inspired)
  • From Ritual to Theatre: The Human Seriousness of Play
  • Reckoning for the Dead (Sweet Justice, #4)
  • The Italian
  • Watching Amanda
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Loving the Lawman (Roses of Ridgeway)
  • Disguised Blessing
  • When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church and the Scandal of Their Subordination in
  • Trust
  • Perfect Match
  • Dylan  (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #2)
  • The Interview Room (Paul Lucas, #1)
  • Captured Hearts: Five Favorite Love Stories
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer
More about Barbara Bretton...

The Idle Point Stories (2 books)
  • At Last