Start by marking “Someone Like You” as Want to Read:
Someone Like You

Someone Like You (The Idle Point Stories #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  20 reviews
They were the daughters of music legends, the unforgettable Mark and Mimi Doyle, whose love story had been played out in the pages of Rolling Stone complete with quotes from Dylan and Baez. Folk rock’s forever couple.

Who would have guessed forever would end one cold winter morning when Mark walked out the door and never came back.

Now it’s thirty years later and his baby da
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Like You

Eileen Carter
Once again an incredible story

This was the second book in the Idle Point series and it did not disappoint. Life at times can be difficult, especially if you are a child and your parents are famous or once were famous. Cat had always been there for Joelyn, from day one. She had to be since parenting wasn't one of the things that were top priority with either of her parents.
Fast forward 20 years, both Cat and Joelyn are grown women who know what they want, it so they think. Cat hasn't told anyone
Shilpa Mudiganti
Someone Like You is typical American happy endings book that would reinforce your faith in humanity and guarantee a peaceful sleep in the night. It did for me at least! This is a story about two grown up sisters at two corners of the world trying to come in terms with their crazy mother's accident and the surprising events thereafter that explains (not negate) much of the heartburn that they went through during their difficult childhood. Most of the content of the story is about the inability of ...more
Stasha
I really liked this story. It was different. I was not sure what to expect exactly, perhaps a sappy cheesy story about two girls holding grudges that were as nearly as old as they were. But infact I was pleasantly surprised.

Catherine "Cat" and Joely (I love that name!) Doyle are two sisters living separate lives who are suddenly brought together after a couple of years as a result of their mother Mimi's illness. Mimi has suffered mentally since her husband, the sisters' father, walked out of the
Terri
Loved it

Another great book by Barbara Bretton. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen to everyone in the book, but now's its over and I want more. Love how she tells a story, draws you in to the characters lives. Never a cliff hanger either. Each book seems better than the next. Can't wait for the next one.

Carol Greenwood
A Shattered Family

jelly had never known her father. He left to go buy new guitar strings and never returned. Cat knew her father and had to raise her sister because her mother stopped trying. Such a dysfunctional family tries to deal with the mother's stroke and house fire.
Lisa
As others said. Typical romance, mediocre. Underwhelming.

I realize that I don't like main characters who have problems expressing love (and here we had 2 of them). I'm sure the storyline appeals to some, but books I truly resonate with are the ones where the characters are warm, loving and involved. Or even if they are anguished, as were these 2, they are still aware of their hearts and yearnings. People I could see as being my own friends. Cat, the older sister, had some of that, but on the who
Marion Galvin
Just awesome

Read it with 2 bathroom stops and one meal lol. So well written and kept you enthralled. I laughed and cried it just sucked you in until the last word. Highly recommend.
Marguerite J. Mestayer
Good read

This book is a very unusual story. It held my attention till the very end. This is a new author for me but I will definitely look for more of her books.
nancy r rains
Very good read

I love Barbara Bretton's books. She always writes a good story that I have enjoyed til the end. I love the time travel ones.
Karen
Audiobook from Audible. Was a great listen.
Sara
(view spoiler)
This book definetly lacked anything interesting happening. It could have used more drama, and not of the sisterly variety.
Not bad wr
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Two sisters struggle to come together when their formerly famous mom suffers a stroke and burns down her house, but their own issues with intimacy get in everyone’s way. Bretton’s book shows promise, but the story ends almost before it begins with a too convenient and hurried ending.

Amy R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Renee
For what it was- it was great. This book was like 328 pages of birthday cake. It was a typical character novel, with a very nice conclusion. In a world where things can feel depressing and you can get lost in your own mind full of worry, this book leaves you with a good feeling, and fills you with hope for the future. As cheesy as it sounds, it really serves its purpose.
Book Concierge
Typical romance, which is to say mediocre. Lots of angst and misunderstandings, fragile dysfunctional adults because of secret tragedies in their past, but the love of a good man (not to mention a talking to by your best gay friend) will set everything straight in a heartbeat.
Returning home to Maine for her mother's final days, Joely Doyle, by observing her sister's life, discovers the sacrifices that her mother made, her father's secrets, and the events that shaped her destiny and will define her future.
Marlyn
Read the large print. Enjoyed it very much, easy reading at a stressful time of my life. First time I've read any of Ms. Bretton's books so I will look for some more.
Peggy Parsons
Underwhelming. Storyline not big enough. No - I mean absolutely no - surprises.
Story of two sisters dealing with a disfunctional family and finding true love.
Yesica
Termine 2 chapters... atrapada
Donnajo
NL's book crawl Maine
Sue Sparks
Sue Sparks marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Therese Ferguson
Therese Ferguson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Liz Chouinard Levine
Liz Chouinard Levine marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • Rocky Road Trip (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #2)
  • Up Close and Personal
  • Not That Kind of Girl
  • The Summer House
  • The You I Never Knew
  • From Ritual to Theatre: The Human Seriousness of Play
  • About Adam (Mayfair Square, #5)
  • Immersion
  • When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church and the Scandal of Their Subordination in
  • Lost in Trek (The Definitive Guide to the Trek Mi Q'an Universe)
  • Never Tell
  • School's Out (Rachel Yoder — Always Trouble Somewhere, #1)
  • The Paper Marriage
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Dylan  (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #2)
  • Some Kind of Wonderful: A Holiday Novella (Cupcake Lovers #3.5)
  • The Interview Room (Paul Lucas, #1)
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer
More about Barbara Bretton...

The Idle Point Stories (2 books)
  • At Last
Casting Spells (Sugar Maple, #1) Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2) Shore Lights (Paradise Point, #1) Spun By Sorcery (Sugar Maple, #3) A Soft Place to Fall (Shelter Rock Cove, #1)