Start by marking “Go Ask Ogre: Letters from a Deathrock Cutter” as Want to Read:
Go Ask Ogre: Letters from a Deathrock Cutter

Go Ask Ogre: Letters from a Deathrock Cutter

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Teenage hell has never been captured with such intense honesty as these actual letters sent in the late ‘80s from a suicidal girl to the singer of her favorite band.

Go Ask Ogre peers into the world of a misfit "cutter" who lives with an abusive mother in the rust belt. A tailspin of suicidal depression and self-injury leads her to write Ogre, front man for the industrial r
Published May 1st 2005 by Process

To ask other readers questions about Go Ask Ogre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Ask Ogre

Moya
my second time trying to read this book. i like the idea of it. the tone and the theme is right up my alley. i read further this time -- seriously, i'm probably 20 pages from the end -- and yet i still can't finish it. maybe if i was still in high school...still an adolescent. as an adult i find that it's just too self-indulgent, too self-centered, too woe-is-me. and i'm emo! in the end, i think i needed more context. volume. depth.

i'm marking this as done even though, as i said, i have yet to f
Christine Strawberry-girl
This is one of my favorite books. I read this book a long time ago but just am now getting around to reviewing it. This is an immensely personal and beautiful account of Jolene Siana's teenage years, in the form of letters she sent to the lead singer of her favorite band, Skinny Puppy. These letters became a form of diary for her, where she poured out her feelings and thoughts, along with brooding artwork. Although Ogre (the singer) only replied to a few and ended up not opening most of them, he ...more
Michael Roop
ummmmm...There ain't much I can say about this book that hasn't been said already here. I think if I were still an angst filled teen this book would be alot better read. Sadly I'm in my 30's and far past all the rebillion and angst of youth. I really wanted this book to be epic too. I think it's a great book. Perfect for teens and preteens. A great book to let the youth of today know they are not alone in their venture of coming into their own. I find it amazing that Ogre actually took the time ...more
Stacie
it's exactly that...a 17 year old girl in the late 80s discovers skinny puppy, becomes obsessed with ogre, and starts writing him letters about random crap in her life. it's non-fiction. She is depressed and suicidal, but doesn't want to be. it's fascinating in a fucked up way. it reminds me so much of being that age, and of people i knew when i was that age. (you probably shouldn't read too much into that.) she puts art on all the letters and envelopes, some of which are shown in the book, and ...more
Norman
Wow. I was really surprised how much I liked this book. A bunch of people recommended it to me, since I've always liked Puppy. Most who recommended it were cutters, themselves, so I thought the book would be more about pity in regards to being depressed. While there was some of that, most of the book showed the crap that someone went through growing up, and then a slow road to feeling better, and coming to grips with the crap that we need to deal with in life. I did laugh at quite a few things, ...more
Siana has published her letters and journals that she wrote to Ogre (a member of Skinny Puppy) in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The letters aren't surprising for those of us that remember our teenage years (or work with them currently). Non-sequiturs, numerous mentions of being bored and trying to find her place in the world all ring familiar and true.

For many (including me), it brought back memories of how much music meant to me as a teen, as well as her descriptions of intense relationships a
Liesa spring
I dont think i could say enough postives about this book. i dont classify it as a teen drama girly book even though it is in the teen section at the library because it just gave me so much more than other books have. This is the book that started me with taking up a journal. It also gave me a new perspective on bands and groupies and obsessive behavior. and the security in loving someone you dont know but feel a insane connection to through music...

anyways very good book, in my opinion.
Mills College Library
616.8527 S5629 2005
Daryl Barnett
This woman's personal story fascinates me but what the book is made up of; personal letters that she wrote to the leader of a rock band (which he kept and returned to her so she could make copies of the letters to create the book)is what is really mind blowing. I see elements in this style that I'd like to incorporate into the novel I am writing. She is on MySpace too. A very successful and well adjusted woman today, it seems.
Darlene
I saw this author read at a local bookstore so I knew I would like this book. Since the book consists of letters she wrote as a teenager, there is alot cringeworthy material-really who would want to publish their innermost 16 year old thoughts? Still, this book is funny and heartbreaking and I think many teenage girls could relate, even if they didn't have the rough teen years that the author had.
Cassandra Carico
This book is definitely not for everyone, but for me it resonated fiercely. My life mirrored hers in so many ways, but a little over a decade after. I did not use the same outlets that she did (i.e. writing to Ogre), but I see the benefits she derived from setting pen to paper and believing that her voice was heard.
Jan
This was a pretty good book. It was actually a book of letters. Books like this and diaries always seem to have a more intimate feel about them. You are really seeing into someone else's life and their struggles. Sometimes it makes you appreciate your own life all the more.
Angie
What can I say... I totally dug this book. Yes, parts of it made me cringe and roll my eyes, but yeah. I think that's the point. It was sad, exciting, annoying, funny, and... hopeful. Now I gotta dig out my Skinny Puppy tapes. Oh, but wait... how will I play them??
Ryan
Great book! based on letters sent to the frontman Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy and carries a theme of Ask Alice... but with great visual layout of photos, clippings and quotes from 80's goth songs. Pretty much a must have for Puppy fans...
Chandra
It makes me wish that I had kept all my notebooks and journals from the late eighties.
Her vulnerability is truly touching.
Rory
Apr 05, 2009 Rory rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: depressed punk-rockers--or the people who try to love them
Shelves: memoirs-and-bios
I need someone else to read this so we can scream a bit about it. I might just NOT have been the intended audience.
Wendy
Loved this as it harkened back to my adolescence. She could have been documenting my teenage years.
Lemons
Feb 20, 2012 Lemons added it
It's a good read, but I'd probably like this book a lot more if it weren't for the overdramatic subtitle.
Filth
the existence of books like this should be a criminal offense.
Lilly
Apr 15, 2010 Lilly added it
one of my faves it reminded me of my journel drawings
Carlos
If you like Skinny Puppy you MUST read this book.
Kaid Schenck
Ugh one of my favorite books
Cat Shea
Cat Shea marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Andrea  Greene Myers
Andrea Greene Myers marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Corinne
Corinne is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Gary Boodhoo
Gary Boodhoo marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
  • Babes in Toyland: The Making and Selling of a Rock and Roll Band
  • Drugs are Nice: A Post-Punk Memoir
  • Violence Girl: East L.A. Rage to Hollywood Stage, a Chicana Punk Story
About the Author
Jolene Siana lives in Brooklyn, NY and spends her time writing, painting, photographing people and traveling to Amsterdam every year.
More about Jolene Siana...