Start by marking “The Cow That Laid an Egg” as Want to Read:
The Cow That Laid an Egg

The Cow That Laid an Egg

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  703 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Marjorie is an insecure cow who wishes she had some special talent. She can't ride a bicycle or do handstands like the other cows. Then one morning (thanks to a bunch of scheming chickens and a paintbrush), Marjorie is astonished to discover something extraordinary: shes laid an egg!
Published January 22nd 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Cow That Laid an Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cow That Laid an Egg

You Really Are Full of Shit, Aren't You? by Karl WigginsMagic America by C.E. MedfordDogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsThe Cow That Laid an Egg by Andy CutbillThe Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Logically Impossible Titles
4th out of 50 books — 29 voters
Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGiggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin
Picture Books About Cows
9th out of 40 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Roxanne Hsu Feldman
It is a perfect funny picture book. The illustrations are incredibly full of motion AND emotion. The layout, the design, the pacing, the skilled LINES -- all work together beautifully. The text is trimmed to exactly the correct leanness and delivers with many effective punches -- and the last PUNCH was fabulous! This is superb!
The Library Lady
Oh, how I love this. Cows are naturally funny, but when you get a barnful of cows who do handstands and ride bikes, a flock of conspiring chickens, a gossip rag called "Moos of the World" and a "Horton Hatches the Egg" inspired ending, you get a real rib tickler. The illustrations are bold, wild and creative, and work perfectly with the story--I hope we see more from this author and artist as a creative team. A real winner!
Sophie
Marjorie isn't like the other cows she can't do handstands or ride a bike (yes the other cows can do these things!!) she doesn't feel special at all...

This is a great picture book; the pictures are funny, the story is original and the ending is well thought out! It's short and very sweet.
Jesse
Far away, in the mysterious and foreign land known as the farm, there was a cow that was depressed. This cow’s name was Marjorie and she was depressed because she could not do any of the cool awesome things that most other cows can do, like riding bicycles or doing handstands – you know, totally normal cow stuff. So the chickens, being the total bros that chickens naturally are, hatch an eggcellent plan: trick everyone into thinking that Marjorie had laid an egg. And so, the chickens’ plan works ...more
Kylee Myers
This fiction book is a story about a cow who feels very insecure about herself. She can’t do a hand stand or ride a bicycle like the other cows. She feels very ordinary. All of a sudden, she laid an egg. All of the cows were astonished and so was the farmer. She became famous across the town! Marjorie felt special now! All of the other cows found out that chickens laid eggs, and soon the cows told her that she didn't lay the egg. They think the chickens did it to make her feel better, but the ch ...more
Rakisha
Dec 31, 2008 Rakisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adoptive parents, adopted children
Recommended to Rakisha by: Megan
This is a clever yet subtle book about friendship and adoption. Marjorie the cow has no special skill or talent that makes her stand out, so her friends the chickens lay a cow-spotted egg for her and slip underneath her while she sleeps. Marjorie and the farm becomes world famous as the first cow to lay an egg. (This part is almost reminiscent of Wilbur in Charolette's Web.) Her envious cow-mates don't like having the spotlight taken away, so they go out to prove that Marjorie didn't lay the egg ...more
Josie B.
The 4 & 5 year olds loved this story of an insecure cow who hatches an egg. I sandwiched it between "Guess What Is Growing Inside This Egg?" By Mia Posada and "Except If" by Jim Averbeck for an egg-stra special spring storytime. Some children prefer non-fiction and some prefer fiction, so mixing the two provides something for both types of readers. You will be nurturing print motivation, the love love and enjoyment of books.
Melanie
Marjorie the cow doesn't feel as special as the other cows on the farm. She can't do handstands or ride a bicycle. One day, the chickens decide to help Marjorie out. All night they chatter together and a plan is hatched. The next morning, when Marjorie wakes up, much to her astonishment, she has "laid" an egg! The farmer is shocked and his wife calls the newspapers. Marjorie is the talk of the town. But the other cows smell something fishy. So they demand that the chickens prove that they didn't ...more
george
Marjorie the cow is a bit down in the dumps. She can't do handstands or ride a bicycle like the other cows. In fact, there's nothing special about her at all. The chickens feel sorry for Marge and decide to do something about it. The next day, Marjorie discovers that she has apparently laid an egg! She's suddenly the center of attention and everyone is talking about Marjorie and her egg. But the other cows are suspicious and claim that Marjorie and the chickens have gotten together for a stunt. ...more
David Timms
Jun 18, 2014 David Timms rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers, dramatic readers
Recommended to David by: Melissa
Shelves: read-to-children
A wonderfully silly book that children aged 4 to 10 will adore! Marjorie the cow wants to do something different. The other cows can ride bikes and do tricks. The chickens MAY have been involved in the miraculous egg that Marjorie then produces.
Robin
Jun 09, 2014 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: gag
A cow is believed by some on the farm to have laid an egg but the other cows don't believe she could have until the egg hatches and the feathery critter says moo. A possible companion read to Horton Hatches The Egg.
James Wrixon
Oct 03, 2008 James Wrixon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mums who love reading a touching book to their child at bedtime.
Recommended to James by: Bookstore
We all loved this book (my family are a bit partial to cow / chicken humor). Marjorie's a delightful character, and beautifully illustrated. You can't help but feel for her. The chickens are hysterical - 'pleased as punch' in deed. And the other cows, with their jealousy and scheming, bring so much to the story. This seems a tale with plenty to teach, talking to children without looking down at them. It helps explain how we may all be different, but by no means less special. On a deeper level it ...more
Taryn
Really fun. The girls (6 and 3.5) liked it a lot. It wasn't deep or profound in any way, though I did appreciate the way the community supported each other.
Heidi
I love the story. I think it's funny and fabulous. The preschool and k-5 groups would love it. The ilustrations are not my favorite, but I think the kids will love those, too. This will make a great storytime read, especially if I can get a couple of the sounds/voices just right.

4/13/10 & 4/15/10 The kids loved this story. I think they enjoyed the pictures, too. A fun story to read and I still love the ending. I don't think I quite got the voices--but I was being conservative because I was b
Jeanne
Marjorie doesn't feel special. Her friends, the chickens, hatch a plan.
Bonnie
This one made me laugh out loud. Simple but engaging.
Michael
Great story line, a fun read for all ages.
Emily Farmer
Dec 04, 2012 Emily Farmer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarten - 3rd grade
Shelves: fantasy
When Marjorie was insecure because she could not do the things the other cows could do the chickens came up with a master plan. The following day she laid an egg, and oh boy was everyone excited...except the other cows. They did not believe that Marjorie actually laid the egg so they waited till the egg hatched. Then, everyone had a good suprise. This is a cute book with fun pictures and text fonts. I like it because it shows that everyone is special in thier own way, and could easily be used in ...more
Kim T.
Hilarious!!!
Mckinley
I can see why readers would like this, it just didn't work for me.
Hye Eun
This book can teach kids about being confidence in themselves. The cow felt bad because he wasn't special. He was just an ordinary cow. But when he laid en egg, he got so popular but the other cows got jealous. You can also teach kids that when something good happens to our friends, we have to be happy for them and not get jealous. A chick indeed does come out from the egg but the chick cried moooooooo. It was my favorite part. I would recommend it to first and second graders.
Jan
Marjorie the cow doesn't feel special. She can't ride a bike like the other cows. ("Cows can't ride bikes!" said the child on my lap.) The barnyard chickens hatched up a plan, and the next morning, Marjorie announced that she had laid an egg. ("Cows don"t lay eggs!" said the child in my lap.) Suddenly, with the appearance of the egg, Marjorie was special. But what will happen when the egg hatches?

A hilarious picture book for ages 3-7 -- and fun for the adult reader, too!
Val
Feb 16, 2014 Val marked it as have-for-maggie
Wanda Gag Read-aloud
Kathleen
This is a great read aloud for the preschool age (not only is it a funny story, it's a fun one to read out loud).

Marjorie is a cow who just doesn't feel special (she doesn't have the same talents as the rest of the cows on the farm).. BUt Marjorie's friends, the chickens, "hatch" a plan that they hope will restore Marjorie's self-confidence and let her know that she's special in her own way.

Wouldn't we all love to friends like Marjorie's?
William Dickerson
A fun tale about a cow that wants to stand out as much as the other cows, who can ride bikes. (Did I miss a story here?) The chickens hatch a plan for the cow to lay an egg and become famous.
Slayermel
Feb 12, 2010 Slayermel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of young children or preschool teachers
This is the story of Marjorie the cow who feels like she is just ordinary. She can't ride a bike or do handstands like all the other cows. So the chickens decide to concoct a plan to help Marjorie feel more special, so when Marjorie wakes up one morning she has discovered that she has laid an egg. Will a chicken or a cow hatch out of the egg? The Barn Yard animals are all waiting to find out. :0)

Very humorous story :0)
Lbrown107
This is a really cute and fun story with wonderful illustrations. Young girls will especially love this book. The only thing I do not like about the book is that Marjorie only felt special after having a baby. With teen pregnancy so high now, I do not think I would read this to my class. The illustrations are extremely bold and exciting! I love how the character’s emotions were easily readable from the illustrations.
Daniela
Just read this book to one group of 2nd graders. The title really caught my attention. I really enjoyed and so did they! The author did a fantastic job at telling a funny and heartwarming story as well as include some major literary elements to review, such as onomatopoeia and high level vocabulary words. Kids were really engaged and laughed as we read it. The illustrations are also very eye-catching.
Leah
Cute and silly with fun illustrations!
Marek
Marjorie doesn't feel very special, so her friends, the chickens, help her out. One morning Marjorie awakens to find that she's laid an egg! She quickly acclimates to motherhood and loves her little baby, even if the other cows on the farm are haters.

The illustrations in this picture book are really fun and my 4 year old loves the story line. She thought it was hilarious.
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Punk Farm
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • Chicken Big
The Cow That Was the Best Moo-ther FIRST WEEK AT COW SCHOOL Albie and the Big Race Albie And The (Super Duper, Intergalactic) Space Rocket Albie