Start by marking “The Unhappy Child: What Every Parent Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
The Unhappy Child: What Every Parent Needs to Know

The Unhappy Child: What Every Parent Needs to Know

There are millions of children in this country who spend most of their days feeling more unhappy than happy, and their parents haven’t a clue as to why. These chronically unhappy children may be on their way to developing a depressive disorder.
In this important and completely accessible book, Dr. Kenneth N. Condrell teaches both parents and mental health professionals the
Published June 1st 2006 by Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Unhappy Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unhappy Child

Practical Mama
I am not rating this book, as it didn't turn out to be what I needed. I didn't want to decrease the rating just because the book didn't serve me. I need to write this review to clarify the contents of this book for the next reader.

If your child is unhappy due to divorce, depressed parent, bullying or peer pressure, quarreling parents, favoritism, permissive parenting, blended families, sibling abuse, angry parent or learning disabilities, this book will provide you guidelines to help yourself a
Deanna
Nov 26, 2012 Deanna rated it liked it
Not as good as I was hoping. Contains chapters on a number of different possible causes of childhood unhappiness, some of which I did not read because they did not apply to us (sibling rivlary, for an example). The authors raises related issues/causes in a particular chapter, then really only focuses on one. If that happens to be your issue, great, otherwise, not so helpful. However there were some very useful suggestions that are particular to our situation. Each chapter had a bibliography of t ...more
Naomi Mendoza
Apr 28, 2011 Naomi Mendoza rated it it was amazing
Many parents have the tendency to believe that their actions or problems don't directly affect their children. Kenneth Condrell explains in very succinct yet powerfully eye opening chapters how a variety of factors--from mismanaged divorces to parental depression--do in fact affect children. One of the greatest things is reading words from the children themselves. This should be required reading for all parents.
Joan
Sep 07, 2011 Joan rated it it was amazing
Dr. Condrell seems to have a firm grasp on how parents actions impact their children. He also does a good job of identifying ways to be a better parent. I skimmed through the non-relevant to me parts...since I'm not divorced or depressed. Anyway, I really liked it!
Brady
Jul 08, 2011 Brady rated it really liked it
Helpful and easy to follow. My husband and I are looking forward to making many changes based on the wisdom in this book. Not all chapters will apply to every family; think of it as an essay collection and pick and choose what fits.
Ruth
Aug 04, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it just made sense. He writes about what children need from the perspective of children. Sometimes it is good to get a little reminder.
Autumn
Autumn rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Dominique
Dominique rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2011
B.J. Young
B.J. Young rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Caren
Caren rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Amanda Banks
Amanda Banks rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2011
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Kashlee
Jul 05, 2009 Kashlee rated it really liked it
Very insightful and useful information.
Mollie Caterham
Mollie Caterham rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Shayla Fish
Shayla Fish rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Jason Sutton
Jason Sutton rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Arielle
Arielle rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Kathi
Kathi rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2015
Ruth Ann
Ruth Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2010
Katherine Wms
Katherine Wms marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2011
Sarah Haskin
Sarah Haskin marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2012
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Melissa Kaplan
Melissa Kaplan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Julie
Julie added it
Jun 10, 2013
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Misty Fisher
Misty Fisher marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Kanika
Kanika marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Asyaseda
Asyaseda marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Apr 08, 2015
Harold Aus
Harold Aus marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Jesebel
Jesebel marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Raquel Dotson
Raquel Dotson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Ashbeelia
Ashbeelia marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Brooke Gray
Brooke Gray marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2017
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2017
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015