Start by marking “Get Crafty: Hip Home Ec” as Want to Read:
Get Crafty: Hip Home Ec

Get Crafty: Hip Home Ec

This is not your mother’s home ec!

When Jean Railla was in her twenties, she thought being a bohemian meant smoking in cafes and going home to a crummy, dusty walk-up apartment. But then she had a shocking thought—would vacuuming really get her booted from the riot grrls club? So she began to cook, and then to knit, and then she took up sewing. Soon she had launched getcraf
Published September 14th 2004 by Broadway Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Get Crafty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Crafty

Sheena
May 13, 2010 Sheena rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, crafty, keepers
In "Get Crafty", Jean Railla examines the culture of crafting and how to use crafts to simplify and enrich life. Ms. Railla introduces her motive and its origins -- as a teen, she quickly embraced feminism. In her twenties, Ms. Railla realized the appeal of the domestic arts and co-founded the website GetCrafty. The combination of crafting and feminism was emerging throughout the internet when GetCrafty was launched, and has only become more prominent.

In "Get Crafty", Jean Railla encourages the
Kate
Jan 06, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I was seriously inspired. I am a stay at home mom to a 13 year old & a housewife. I was kind of feeling lazy & just generally uninspired. The way she describes cooking for the family & taking care of the house gave me the outlook I needed on caring for my family & myself. Now, I had at one point had this outlook but overtime lost it. Not sure why or how, but I did. This book was so inspiring & put an artful spin on even the most mundane of tasks. Now, ev ...more
Jul 02, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crafters with a grain of salt
Sigh. Man, oh man, I know that this book was released during the first wave of the new century craft movement... yes craftivism is wonderful, yes it was stupid that people thought that all women knitting were pregnant... but I would argue that a lot of that has changed in the past couple of years- so I guess that this book didn't really age all that well.
There are some great recipies and ideas in this book though (veggie chili, limoncello, homemade soap). Though the author's voice is kind of an
Venessa
Jan 05, 2008 Venessa rated it liked it
Full of DIY crafts and recipes, this was a fun book to go through in an afternoon. A puzzling selection of natural, non-toxic recipes for cleaning {good} followed by tips on stain removal involving the use of bleach {bad—yuk}. Other than that and some other slight contradictions, this was a good book that provided the modern feminist with tips on housework. You can be a feminist and be clean! I knew that, but we’ll see if in the coming weeks I’ll remember this book and be inspired to create the ...more
meg
i've just read the first few chapters, and i'm totally inspired already. i'm about to go clean my bathroom after midnight for starters. much more than just a how-to, this is a compelling manifesto for a crafty lifestyle. i've never really considered myself much of a crafty person--i've kind of always relied on my friends for that--but this is giving me hope that i can be, or at least really makes me want to give it a go. i think i'm totally going to have to get this for my home library, since i' ...more
Melissa
Oct 10, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
Promising recipes for home-made natural soap, vegetarian chile, A line skirts, oatmeal masques and more. Good resource for activist websites and organizations involved with making stuff to support people (like, when all your friends/family get tired of receiving your projects, you can make blankets for the poor). Reads quickly, is somewhat redundant -- we know that hand-made things are best, that crafting is neither lame nor ultra-domestic, yes?
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, crafts, diy, nonfiction
Discusses the benefits of making things by hand and living creatively, providing instructions for making clothing, greeting cards, and cosmetics while offering suggestions on how to decorate a home and organize a craft circle.

Included some good websites for knitting and embroidering, and much more I'm sure! Oh, and even tips on how to buy antique/vintage furniture.
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 Alexandria Hiam rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, crafts, diy, nonfiction

Sue
Oct 10, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing
Wow. Not at all what I was expecting. A phenomenal read and a mandate for any woman who loves/hates being a modern woman. Great, easy-to-read essays. Modern feminism - embrace craft/domesticity again without guilt of being considered June Cleaver.
Jodygirl63
Aug 09, 2014 Jodygirl63 rated it really liked it
Cute book with great ideas for ways to be crafty. I always like getting new ideas along with being reminded of some crafts that I haven't done in a while (like sewing and embroidery). I want to break out my sewing machine again!
Noëlibrarian
Dec 30, 2010 Noëlibrarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-books
LOVED this book. Railla has a sincere, original, and really creative voice that gave this "closet crafty" girl at least a dozen great ideas. Railla combines a recycling ethos with a fresh enthusiasm for D-I-Y gifts, personal style, home making, and cooking.
Jill
Aug 22, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crafters or Those Who Like To Read About Crafting And Then Go Watch TV Instead
A fun book, with fabulous and cool craft projects. In case you are wondering, though, I didn't make any. I think I am more of a craft voyeur.
Jennifer Perkins
Mar 30, 2008 Jennifer Perkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
Another craft book I could not live without.
Chase
Mar 31, 2008 Chase rated it really liked it
made me feel like I had found a crafty friend. I still check getcrafty.com a few times a week for the amazing projects people put in their blogs.
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
May 19, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Phillippa
Phillippa rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2007
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Denine Benedetto
Denine Benedetto rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Helena
Helena rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2010
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Slay Belle
Slay Belle rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Connor
Connor rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Angelique WM
Angelique WM rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Cami
Cami rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2007
Kristy
Kristy rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2010