Start by marking “Heartless: The True Story of Neil Entwistle and the Cold Blooded Murder of his Wife and Child” as Want to Read:

Neil seemed like a dream come true for Rachel: a handsome, impeccably mannered, success-oriented Englishman, the fairytale husband she had dreamed of meeting. By the time Neil and Rachel Entwistle were husband and wife, living the good life in a New England town, it was too late to guess the truth: that beneath Neil’s good looks and manners was a deceit and darkness…

On a w
Published June 3rd 2008 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heartless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartless

Jim Thomsen
Sep 06, 2009 Jim Thomsen rated it it was ok
The very definition of an "insta-book," this tale is almost wholly lacking in character development and connective factual tissue. We don't really get to know much about who the killer is and what made him into a killer, because McPhee seems less interested in character and motivation than she is in slapping together a pastiche of Google searches, court-file cherry
pickings and press accounts. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of honest reporting here, as it's clear that McPhee hasn't gott
Kathleen Peloquin
May 10, 2013 Kathleen Peloquin rated it liked it
This book was just OK. I saw the author at a Library function and bought the book on impulse without really checking it out first. The biggest disappointment is that the book was written in 2008 and does not include the trial and conviction of Neil Entwistle. The author includes a lot of information about the people involved in the investigation and prosecution but not as much about the family of either Neil or Rachel Entwistle. Also, much of the information included in the book refers to other ...more
Angela Blanco
May 25, 2009 Angela Blanco rated it liked it
I thought this book was really good until the end. The only problem with the book, I thought, was that the book had apparently been written before the trial and left you with no idea what happened. I really was disappointed in the ending. I still think the book was worth reading, but definitely not as good as I was hoping.
Eva Leger
Dec 05, 2009 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: t,c, readers
Shelves: b-true-crime
This was very hard to read - anything t.c. concerning children is and this was no different. This man is the epitomy of a monster. How he could lead such a double life and turn around and commit such a disgusting crime for no reason is absolutely disgusting. I'm appalled that people like this live in our world.
That woman and little baby did nothing to this man but love him. Looking at their pictures, especially little Lillian's actually brought tears to my eyes. What I thought of when I looked
Kristin
Oct 02, 2014 Kristin rated it it was ok
I have a feeling this book was written amongst the trial hype. I was disappointed that the ending did not reveal the rest of the trial details, or even Neil's conviction!

The crime and trial did not seem to be enough material for a full book. Other crimes and trials kept being mentioned, which was interesting, but strayed too much from Neil's case.

I wondered if the author ever had an in-person interview with the families or Neil himself. I was interested in hearing Neil's side of the story, but
Samantha Garlock
I expected more from the author...Ms McFee has several books to her credit yet this one seems like an author's first attempt. Also the editor should have their palms slapped...several misspellings, grammanical mistrakes, I would have expected a 5th grader to do better! Really quick read though 2 days, half hearted commitment.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2008 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: true-crime
ugh what a pig. Sad, actually, more than just the surface...
Crystal Scruggs
Aug 03, 2011 Crystal Scruggs rated it did not like it
This was actually very poorly written. I did not like this author's style. Not my cup of tea, sorry.
Dallas Brown
Jan 23, 2013 Dallas Brown rated it it was amazing
it was okay
Elaine
Mar 12, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it
I really am only giving it 2 1/2 stars. Author digressed to other similar crimes in the area. Perhaps she wrote the book too soon and didn't have enough information.
Bob
Aug 31, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
Michele documents just how cruel this guy really was. I recall the story well, but there's more detail here than I remember hearing at the time of the killing.
P.duncan
P.duncan rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2011
Senta Bahr-root
Senta Bahr-root rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Rowan
Rowan rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Kimberly Watts
Kimberly Watts rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Crime Traveller
Crime Traveller rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2017
Wendy D
Wendy D rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2009
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Amanda Edwards
Amanda Edwards rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2011
Misty
Misty rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
April
April rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Yvonne Halley
Yvonne Halley rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Christie
Christie rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2015
Michelle See
Michelle See rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016