Start by marking “Lifeblood” as Want to Read:
Lifeblood

Lifeblood

All Ana Vasilifata ever wanted was a simple life, with a good husband, children, and a happy home. What she found was a vampire who made her his bride. And when she fled to England in the winter of 1665, she found a stake in the hands of a fearful and angry mob.

Over three hundred years later, an accident reanimates Ana in the quiet town of Meriwether, Iowa. She flees to an
Published February 28th 2004 by Silver Lake Publishing (first published February 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lifeblood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifeblood

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Lifeblood is a rich and well-written story that makes for a delightful read. Mr. Lind's prose is erudite and elegant. His characters are vivid, each unique and realistic. Most of all, Ana is a heroine that will break your heart. For readers who appreciate a repentant creature of the night, Ana will be completely irresistible. Reading her backstory and the challenges she faces as a reluctant vampire made my heart ache for her. Ana enters the life as a vampire against her will, tricked into her co ...more
Lynne King
Nov 15, 2013 Lynne King rated it it was amazing
I really think this book is excellent but I cannot seem to write a review to get my point across to demonstrate how good this book actually is. I had the same problem with Lawrence Durrell, my favourite author, who temporarily fell to second place with the arrival of Christine Brooke-Rose with her brilliant “Amalgamenon” but LD has since returned to the top of my leaderboard. I have too many of his books that’s the problem.

I cannot believe that the last four books I’ve read, as we slowly come to
Jim
Oct 03, 2008 Jim rated it liked it
Very well written, easy reading, interesting paranormal romance. Werner writes of a vampire in the classic sense. The story has an easy flow & is suspensful until the very end. There is a strong moral to the story, but it isn't overpowering or overly religious. It isn't a long story, but so engaging that I had trouble putting it down at night & had to pick it up first thing in the morning. Besides refilling my coffee cup, I didn't do anything until I finished it. I highly recommend it.
Erika
3. 5 stars (decided to round up)

For the most part, I enjoyed this vampire novella. It had sort of an old-fashioned vampire story feel (not necessarily a vampire romance feel though). The main complaint I had was that I wanted a little more passion/romance. I just wanted to see the hero and heroine a little more into each other than they seemed to be. I think I am just used to all the alpha heroes these days! It was hard watching the hero go about his everyday business, knowing the heroine was li
Janie Pendleton
Jun 01, 2008 Janie Pendleton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any age who loves romance/sad/historical vampire novels
Recommended to Janie by: Werner A. Lind
Wow! I loved this vampire tale called "Lifeblood" by Werner A. Lind. You will fall in love with the sad Ana vasilifata right away, as your heart leaps in the strange darkness that Ana must carry with her everywhere she hunts or roams. Never seeing the light or the people and places she holds most dear to her heart, she is now with the Undead, as a vampire was never her choice. Traveling in time from 1665 where Transylvania still thrived, you will leap suddenly into Joshua's world of modern 2008 ...more
Joy H.
2/13/09 (put book on my To-Read Shelf): Alice recommended this book at my Glens Falls Goodreads group. Then I read the reviews at the book's webpage. They are all rave reviews. So now I want to find out what the story is all about. So far I know it's about a vampire. This will be my first vampire book.

7/1/09: I am now reading this book _Lifeblood_ by Werner Lind. I'm on page 32 and the hook is in. The idea for the plot and for the different perspectives of the different characters is interesting
Ron
Jul 27, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
Cindy
Jun 25, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
This was a delightful story, about vampires told from the more traditional folklore. The writing was wonderful and flowed so smoothly, and had such a wonderful descriptive nature to it. This is a story about a women named Ana who is forced into becoming a vampire. Her back-story is so sad and tragic, but yet hopeful. Ana has amazing kindness, strength, courage and love. I really came to care for her, and wanted life to be good for her, and some how be different for her. I felt sorry for her, she ...more
Jack
Jul 21, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jack by: Novelist, Janie Pendleton
Lifeblood by Werner Lind was a real page turner. This book relates to both genders well. Man or woman, you will fall in love with the very courageous Anna, as she travels in the blackness of night through time. Wondering if she will ever be able to be in the light of day again, she will pull at your heartstrings and vamp your will to keep reading her story. Good book for anyone over the age of 14. Great job with the language use as well. Love a book that keeps the characters location and timezon ...more
Steven Harbin
Jun 25, 2010 Steven Harbin rated it it was amazing
I really liked this when I read it, I thought I had done a review, but there doesn't seem to be one up on Goodreads, so I'll have to go back and compose my thoughts on it.
I will say that (disclosure) that author Werner Lind is a friend, but I still can honestly say that the book had an interesting premise and that the two main characters are made interesting to the point that the reader does care about their fate. This to me is the mark of a good storyteller.
D.J. Edmonston
Oct 15, 2015 D.J. Edmonston rated it it was amazing
Heather G Gentle
Sep 12, 2008 Heather G Gentle rated it it was amazing
Simply one of the best short stories I've ever read. I found myself attached to Ana from the beginning and forever hoping that things would turn around for her. What an intriguing character.
The author did a great job not only shifting from viewpoint to viewpoint of the 2 main characters but also going retro into Ana's past and providing the back story.
The ending is something that normally I wouldn't care for-- but for this book-- it completely works and you're thrilled.
I find myself wishing th
Athira
Jun 03, 2011 Athira rated it it was amazing
The perfection of this book came from its simplicity.There aren't so many twists or unexpected events in this book. But all these factors are there, within reach.And they come to you on right time; Which simply makes you feel calmed and you can't stop appreciating this book.
Giovanni Gelati
Jun 02, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing
Vampire freaks do I have one for you right here! Have you read any of Werner Lind’s work yet? No, well I am now trying to highlight the man’s hard work. He is also the author of “The Gift” a digital short story that I think you will also enjoy. That too has a vampire element to it. To say that I enjoy the author’s style and substance is an understatement. Here is the synopsis of “Lifeblood “ :
“All Ana Vasilifata ever wanted was a simple life, with a good husband, children, and a happy home. What
Krisi Keley
Jan 22, 2011 Krisi Keley rated it it was amazing
For those who like traditional gothic vampire tales written in beautiful prose, yet who also seek a fresh, unique take on the legend, Lifeblood is the perfect combination.

In the small town of Meriwether, Iowa, an armored car carrying the contents of a museum exhibit is involved in an accident, reanimating and releasing 17th century Transylvanian vampire, Ana Vasilifata, in the modern-day United States, where she meets good-hearted carpenter, Joshua Davidson. Joshua, not connecting the lost young
Brian
Jul 03, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
Sandra Degrechie
Aug 27, 2010 Sandra Degrechie rated it it was amazing
We have all a precognitions of what a "Vampire " book would be like. We have watched many movies and read many books on the subject. The true fascination of an immortal has formed an alliance between rich and poor,young and old. I have to give the author much deserved credit on developing a book that not only tantalized the reader but kept one guessing to the end.

I would like to give valid points to why this is a book that everyone would enjoy reading.

The first point: No matter how different
Jessie Jackson
Oct 01, 2009 Jessie Jackson rated it it was amazing
This review refers to the self-published edition from Lulu, but I'm sure it is the same novel.

Here's brief description of the story without spoiling anything:

Ana Vasilifata grew up in Transylvania in the 17th century, but fled to London after becoming a vampire. After a night in London, she encounters a group of men whom attempt to destroy her via stake. In the 21st century, Ana is reawakened by mere accident. She meets a carpenter by the name of Joshua Davidson, who is Ana's only friend in this
Ronda  Tutt
Nov 12, 2009 Ronda Tutt rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet paranormal romance. The book was a smooth and easy read and it drew me in within the first chapter.

The ending didn't turn out like I thought it would by Ana turning Joshua into what she was but that didn't happen. The unexpected thing happened - Ana is given a second chance at life to be human again. Due to Joshua's love for Ana, he had fought and shed his own blood to keep her safe and in return, the vampire curse upon Ana was released and she can now live a normal life.
Sylvia
Apr 07, 2010 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
A Christian's perspective of how to treat a vampire never entered my mind until I read this book. I still don't believe in them, but the subject doesn't repel me so much now! The book is very descriptive, has a strong spiritual message about respect for and treatment of others, and I believe it is safe reading for impressionable youth. I also appreciated the format of the book, the size of the print and easy to hold for bed reading. I am happy to recommend it.
Lynne
Jan 16, 2009 Lynne rated it it was amazing
A wonderul story! The first vampire novel I have ever read. Couldn't put it down. I wish there was a sequel!I learned that a story about a vampire could have much depth -- more than what I had imagined.
Jeffrey Stoker
Jun 17, 2010 Jeffrey Stoker rated it really liked it
I really liked the characters in this book. I liked the dialogue, it seemed authentic. The ending was a surprise which I quite enjoyed.
Ellen Maze
Dec 20, 2010 Ellen Maze rated it it was amazing
This book is being re-released soon!
April
Jul 11, 2011 April rated it really liked it
After reading the synopsis of Lifeblood, I was instantly intrigued and hooked. The story sounded dark, gothic and incredible. Yes, it is a vampire genre based story, however don't let that fool you (for those who may be trying to keep away from this particular subject matter or have become burnt out on it). Lifeblood is a truly unique take on the vampire stories that are overtaking the reading audience everywhere.

Lifeblood is taken mainly from the perspective of a young woman who was tricked int
Therese Heckenkamp
Jul 18, 2012 Therese Heckenkamp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Lifeblood is a captivating novel about a young woman vampire who suddenly finds herself in an unfamiliar land in an unfamiliar time. While trying to survive and keep her terrible secret from being discovered, Ana meets a handsome young man and struggles to live life under the burden of her curse.

I rarely purchase books on my Kindle, as there are so many free ones out there. However, I read the sample for this book, and I was hooked!

Lifeblood brims with suspense, romance, danger, and more; but I
Urs

OK, I am coming back to make a proper review of this book.  :)
I loved it! I had a feeling that I would, and I was not disappointed. Werner writes very well. His words flow together to make this a remarkable story. Yes, it is a vampire story, but he made it his vampire story. Not very typical at all, you get wrapped up in it right away. He draws you in with wonderful words and description and just takes you there with his very unique theory of vampires that has morality and a bit of Christianity
Wendy
Feb 15, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I'm not into all the hype surrounding these newfangled vampire movies and books. This book however drew me in. I like the cover-art for this edition the best. I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but it just drew me in. I think it has a strong intro which peaks the curiosity. Yes, there is some romance, but not of the sappy variety. At no point was I bored with what I was reading. The book just continues through at a nice pace and is a fairly quick read. I loved the main characters Ana and J ...more
Matt
Feb 25, 2010 Matt marked it as to-read
This book sounds terrible and nothing like I'd normally read, but what is goodreads for if not getting you to try things you wouldn't read otherwise. I think I'll risk trusting the recommendations.
Glen Stott
Sep 22, 2016 Glen Stott rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I am not much of a fan of Vampire novels, but I do like to stretch my reading experiences. I have read “Dracula” by Bram Stoker and “Interview with a Vampire” by Anne Rice. What I know about vampire fiction comes from these two sources. Dracula, as I remember, was totally immersed in the evil of the undead. Rice’s Louis begins his life as a vampire still holding onto enough human morality to feed on the blood of animals in order to avoid killing humans. This is a short lived aversion as the evil ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Small and Indepen...: Lifeblood, by Werner Lind 6 6 Mar 17, 2017 07:05PM
The Book Review E...: Lifeblood. by Werner Lind 2 7 Feb 13, 2016 11:07AM
  • Shall We Gather
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • Awakening
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • The Traveler
  • I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon
  • Feckless: Tales of Supernatural, Paranormal, and Downright Presumptuous Ilk
  • On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)
  • Flaming Dove
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)
  • Allie's Moon
  • Killing Kiss (Vampire Gene, #1)
  • Burn
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
  • Intervamption (Vampires of Crimson Bay, #1)
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
Werner A. Lind was raised in eastern Iowa. A graduate of Clinton (Iowa) Community College and of Bethel College in North Newton, Kansas, he also holds master's degrees from Eastern Mennonite Univ. in Harrisonburg, Virginia and from Indiana State Univ. Formerly a college teacher and public librarian, he and his wife Barb now live in Bluefield, Virginia, where he has been a librarian at Bluefield Co ...more
More about Werner A. Lind...

“Foul, misbegotten mound of walking donkey dung!” 9 likes
“Yea, v-verily, she answered, understanding his thought though not his idiom and speaking without - she hoped - noticeable hesitation. "Methought I saw a serpent moving in the grass yonder, but now I see 'twas but the stirring of the breeze." She slid her hands under the paper bag in her lap to hide their trembling.
Ana Vasilifata”