Start by marking “Scandalous by Night (Carlisle Family, #4)” as Want to Read:
Scandalous by Night (Carlisle Family, #4)

Scandalous by Night (Carlisle Family #4)

Even among that band of rakes known as les sauvages nobles, Lord Everod’s reputation is truly wicked. Countless willing partners have enjoyed his sensual prowess, but now one lovely innocent has his undivided attention. The alluring Miss Maura Keighly once lost Everod his family’s regard, and almost cost him his life. And no vengeance could be sweeter than the delicious se

Published July 29th 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous by Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandalous by Night

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 08, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ummm, I don't think so
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release August 2008

After an extended bout of reading erotica and paranormal titles, I was looking forward to taking a break and heading back in time with “Scandalous by Night” by Barbara Pierce, a historical romance from St. Martin’s Press. This is certainly a passionate novel for a historical, set in the early 1800s in England. It’s a tale of wickedness, villainy, and revenge. A young man seduced and betrayed by his own loved ones, and a young woman, alone a
Katie(babs)
Jun 06, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it liked it
ord Townsend Elliot Lidsaw, Viscount Everod (quite the long name) also has the nickname of Everhard because of all the good loving he gives the widows and courtesans of the London. Everod is a bit amoral and quite the playboy. He reminds me so much of the Vicomte Sebastian de Valmont that was played by John Malkovich in the 1988 movie, Dangerous Liaisons. From my initial introduction of Everod, I was bound to not like him at all. He is that type of hero that would make the heroine suffer, and th ...more
ChloeLeeNH
Nov 10, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Regency Era fans
This one seems a bit standard to me... nothing really bringing it to the forefront or something a bit more memorable. The ending was a bit abrupt and all resolutions were cleaned up in the last few pages. I am wondering about the next novel though... There is the last "les sauvages nobles" Cadd, and there is the mysterious pregnancy of Lady Spryng. I am wondering if we will see them have story together or what the next one will bring.
Karen
Nov 17, 2009 Karen rated it did not like it
Note to self-- if this title was representative of her work, don't pick up this author again. The plot skipped so much I found myself checking page numbers to make sure I hadn't missed bits, and motivations (even for the villainess) were all-around pretty weak. Even the ending was sort of "Er... wha'?" The complete lack of credible plotting pretty much represents much of what I dislike about the genre.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Probably my favorite out of the four in the series, if not for a few irritating points.

What worked for me:
*LOVED the reason Lord Everod was estranged from his family. That was CRAZY!

*I really enjoyed the wives of the previous characters circled around Maura when they began to perceive Everod as a threat

*I also liked the Big Betrayal between Everod and Maura. Well done toward the angst factor to me.

What didn't work for me:
*I didn't really "get" the ILY's -- it was like "ah the sex is wonderful"
Nicole
Apr 24, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok
I would have given the book a better rating had it been a complete story. I felt like it was only 3/4 of what the story could have been. I didn't get to know the characters as much as I would have liked and the ending just kind of dropped off. I'm not one that requires the woman end up pregnant and the future is wrapped up in a nice epilogue or anything, but this book just lacked something at the conclusion.
Lori
Jul 06, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say I'll never look at raspberry jam in the same way again! Actually, there was much to like in this book, but the beginning (following the prologue) was a little confusing. This is part of a series, and can be read as a standalone, but there is a brother / sister in the book that had the most confusing names. Took me at least half the book to figure it out.
Ida Plassay
Jan 29, 2009 Ida Plassay rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very well written. It captured my interest from the start and I just couldn't put it down until I finished reading it.
Talia
Mar 13, 2012 Talia rated it it was ok
Um, I know it's a romance novel, so we're not going for lots of credibility here. But honestly, some of the language that was used just didn't seem to fit within the period.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Sep 27, 2012
Melissa Belanger
Melissa Belanger rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Micaela
Micaela rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Madison Schaefer
Madison Schaefer rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Shawna Yonts
Shawna Yonts rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Vânia Valente
Vânia Valente rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Janet Mackie
Janet Mackie rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2009
K.S. Morgan
K.S. Morgan rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Kureijiruku
Kureijiruku rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Ironinicon
Ironinicon rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2015
YPS
YPS rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Vivian
Vivian rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2009
Coral
Coral rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2016
Rena Broadhead
Rena Broadhead rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
  • The Savage
  • Never a Bride
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Midsummer Eve At Rookery End
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3)
  • The Duke's Captive (Winter Garden #4)
  • Dangerous (The Reckless Rockwoods #2)
  • A Mistress for the Taking
  • Lessons in Seduction (Once Upon An Accident, #2)
  • Long Time Gone (Konigsburg, #4)
  • Shameless (Banning Sisters, #3)
  • Just One Kiss
  • The Lover (The Lover, #1)
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)
Having a rich English ancestry that can be traced back to the 1500s, BARBARA PIERCE credits her grandmother and the romantic family tales she was told as a child for inspiring her early fascination with English history.

Striving to balance her love of history with the need to tell a compelling story, she debuted in 2000 with A Desperate Game. Since then, she has created two successful family series
More about Barbara Pierce...

Carlisle Family (4 books)
  • Wicked Under the Covers (Carlisle Family, #1)
  • Sinful Between the Sheets (Carlisle Family, #2)
  • Naughty by Nature (Carlisle Family, #3)