Start by marking “Shalom in the Home: Smart Advice for a Peaceful Life” as Want to Read:
Shalom in the Home: Smart Advice for a Peaceful Life

Shalom in the Home: Smart Advice for a Peaceful Life

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Bring peace to your home, with savvy advice from Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, from TLC's hit "Shalom in the Home"Feeling overwhelmed by your family life? Whether you're in crisis or just wish you were closer, family and relationship counselor Rabbi Shmuley Boteach can help. Influenced by his own experience as a child of divorce, the host of the TLC series "Shalom in the Home" ge ...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Meredith Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Shalom in the Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shalom in the Home

Carol Nain
Oct 03, 2009 Carol Nain rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with an iron stomach+
This book should come with a warning label:
DO NOT READ unless you are ready to hear the hard-core truth about yourself.
this book reminds me of SUPER NANNY, except he is the bringer of peace.
Parents plead for him to help them with their unruly, misunderstood, and undisciplined children. He parks himself, literally, in your back yard. He observes your family and dissects each members role and effect on the others in the family unit. Horribly, then you must view yourself on camera and he gracefull
Linda Pressman
I loved this book for its wisdom and the amazing things I learned, even as a parent of teenagers, about how I should have been raising them all along. There is such wisdom in this book, such amazing insight into human nature and our roles as parents, that I felt I needed to highlight page after page, afraid I would forget it all. The only thing I really disliked about it is that it's essentially a recap of his show's first season and includes too much information about time in the viewing traile ...more
Robyn
I never saw this show this book is based on. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found myself cheering for Rabbi Boteach right from the introduction when he re-tells his life's calling...what a Blessing he has proven to be to countless families...a great read exploring family dynamics.
Sam
I'm reading this for a book study group in April at church. It focuses on raising peaceful fun filled families. It's a very different perspective than I'm used to--an Orthodox Jewish perspective. On the one hand many of his ideals are ones I hold, yet for very different reasons. He does include a lesbian family and whatever his theological view may be he is all supportiving of their family unit and astutley aware of the problems rejection by society and their own families has brought. While firm ...more
Charles
Very insightful to a balanced home life with each chapter a different mix of family dynamics and challenges. I recommend it to all due to the value he places on each individual for the overall outcome of peace in the home - not a peace gained by losing but by realizing the true source of a problem.
Eden
I LOVED this book. I thought Rabbi Shmuley had some of the best insights that I've read in a long, long time. He was also a professional with a heart. He was exceedingly honest about his own issues and was not condescending or superior in anyway to the people he was teaching. I loved that about him. I learned so much about relationships from reading this book and count it as a gift that I found it.
Alissa
I was surprised by the format of this book. He took the 10 families that had been featured on the first season of the show and outlined their problems and how he tried to fix them. I found some of his tips to be useful, especially since it addressed real life problems; however, I think since I didn't watch the show it was harder to relate.
Jessica
Not being a fan of the TV show, I wasn't sure what to expect -- but I generally like Rabbi Boteach's approach to creating family harmony. I'm a little hesitant to endorse everything he says, especially where he talks about the differences between girls and boys, but I did learn from this book.
Paula
I loved this book. I thought he had some really insightful things to say about family life. He was positive, yet realistic about all families having problems to deal with. I liked his patient approach with himself as a parent and suggestions for others.
Lisa Thomson
Excellent advice for both intact and divorced families. Single parents like myself, will benefit from his practical and realistic advice. I just love Rabbi Shmuley!
Lenega
Inspiring examples of what it takes to keep family together and what people would/should do if they were serious about it and could figure it out.
Andrea Jones
I love this guy. It is a fun book to read and allows the rest of us to feel like we are doing something right with our parenting.
Elsa Binder
A good read. I like Mr. Boteach's commitment to family. He makes it refreshing by pointing out his issues.
Andrea
family values are not a dead issue
Blessedhome
Blessedhome marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kenna (hoktauri)
Kenna (hoktauri) marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
James Fahle
James Fahle marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Jody
Jody is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2014
Rhonda Greene
Rhonda Greene marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Merri
Merri added it
Feb 28, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Arielle Meadvin
Arielle Meadvin marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, named by Talkers Magazine as one of the 100 most important radio hosts in America, is a nationally syndicated talk show host, the international best-selling author of 15 books, and an acclaimed syndicated columnist.

A winner of the London Times highly prestigious "Preacher of the Year" award, Rabbi Shmuley has lectured and appeared in print, radio, and TV all over the globe.
More about Shmuley Boteach...
10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children The Michael Jackson Tapes: A Tragic Icon Reveals His Soul in Intimate Conversation Kosher Sex: A Recipe for Passion and Intimacy Hating Women: America's Hostile Campaign Against the Fairer Sex Parenting With Fire: Lighting Up the Family with Passion and Inspiration