Start by marking “The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #1)

The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless #1)

Nurse Cherry Aimless’s first vacation from her hectic career in a big-city hospital takes her to visit her spinster Aunt Gertrude in thrilling San Francisco. Wistfully trading her starched white cap and dress for a bright yellow poplin frock with a flared skirt, young Cherry takes to the highway, never imagining the gay adventures that await her. Imagine her surprise to ...more
Published November 30th 2005 by Cleis Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse

Mar 15, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book hits so many of my reading kinks it's not even funny. For one, it's a gentle, but loving, poke at the Nancy Drew novels I inhaled growing up. For two, it's a fun satire on 1950s culture (you can spend the whole book playing "spot the unnamed celebrity"). For three? It's just fun! Nurse Cherry Aimless is a delightful and darling heroine, and her exploits with her cadre of lesbian adventurers in the wonderland of San Francisco are a blast to read.

I think what really made this book work
Heather
Oct 06, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
This is an extremely clever lesbian parody of the traditional 1950's novel featuring Cherry Aims, senior nurse. I read the 1950's versions that were my mothers, and always felt let down that Cherry or Nancy Drew was into guys. Reading Maney's books on Nancy Clue and Cherry Aimless give me the childhood stories (in cheeky adult format) that I always craved at 12. Thank you, Mabel Maney!

The two criticisms I have of Maney's books are that many of the characters have experienced sexual abuse, and th
Tina
May 14, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious. I loved how everyone was gay. I loved how Cherry's mom was totally clueless about her son's "roommate". I loved how "Doris Day" was outed in this book. I loved every single page.
This book is obviously a spoof of the Nancy Drew series. It's supposed to be comical and I thought it was. People are are seeking eroticism from this are in the wrong section of the store.
I say read it with an open mind, not expecting anything at all. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If yo
Angie
Jan 05, 2014 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, feminism
As a feminist and big fan of Nancy Drew, a friend recommended this to me. I remember holding up the book, reading the first chapter, and going, "Give me ... two hours and I'll have this read."

Sure enough, I gobbled up this book. It's an amazingly quick read, especially if you're familiar with the books being spoofed.

The only complaint I have is that it... well, wasn't smutty enough for my tastes! This is more of a social commentary on the genre, tame enough to give your teenage daughter (if you'
Jun 09, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
The mystery in this book was pretty fantastical and out there, but that's what made it so 50s. It's not like any of those mysteries were really 'plausible', but they were always fun, and always campy. Just like in this book. It really feels like a book from that era, where what Nancy Drew (or in this case, Clue) was wearing was just as or even more important than what mystery she was actually solving. The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse also brought all that homoeroticism full circle and gave it a ...more
Bess
Oct 22, 2007 Bess rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, mystery, queer
Another campy romp through 1950s girl-sleuthing with Cherry Aimless and Nancy Clue. While the gay stereotypes are all present and accounted for, the hilarious situations and dialogue is enough to keep you turing the pages. The meticulous descriptions of the clothes the characters wear, along with the penchant for the primary characters to creelingly ogle other women just adds spice to this quick, harmless read.
Deb
Sep 11, 2008 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: reread
This is the first in the series featuring the ever-perky Cherry Aimless and the famous girl detective, nancy Clue. I'd definately read this before THE GOOD-FOR-NOTHING GIRL FRIEND, because it introduces the main characters and sets up the story for the other title. They have fun with the conventions of the story, making most of the characters gay or lesbian, but it's a gentle fun. It can get a bit silly a times, but never nasty or trashy. Good entertainment reading.
Angela
May 19, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lesbians with a sense of humor.
Recommended to Angela by: No one.
This series is a favorite of mine. The setting is fetchingly 50s and 'normal people' are queer while the odd ones are straight. It made me laugh out loud every time I picked it up. If you are a queen or like queens....read it. It's sure to put a smile on your face!! Great therapy! It is a spoof of Nancy Drew style mysteries!
Cassandra
Mar 07, 2012 Cassandra rated it really liked it
This wasn't a literary masterpiece in terms of beautiful writing, but once I realized that it was a calculated and accurate parody of a Nancy Drew book (hey, it's been 15+ years!) set in a revamped America where everyone is a lesbian, it was SO MUCH FUN to read.

I'd recommend this for people who read Nancy Drew as kids and are in the mood for a silly quick read.
Leilani
Mar 05, 2009 Leilani added it
Shelves: queer
hell yeah - i will never get sick of terribly written lesbian fiction. especially when the characters have names like cherry aimless and cassie case and nancy clue! i'll be hanging out with my right hand tonight ...
Mattie Deel
Nov 26, 2007 Mattie Deel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any homo-friendly individual
This book was awesome. It was a quick, juvenile book. Its like it was written for the youth but it's slightly twisted with affairs and theme. But, it was fun. I've given it to a couple people to read and have heard only good things.
Andrea Putman
Sep 21, 2012 Andrea Putman rated it it was amazing
I have just restarted reading these three books with my wife. I love how cheeky they are in innocent yet slightly sexual in that girls first crush you make be blush kind of way. This book is an easy read and a wonderful change if you would like to get away from the day to day gay/lesbian book.
Sps
Jan 06, 2010 Sps rated it liked it
Charming. A classic parody (it got the details, tone, and structure right) with some swoony romance thrown in.
Jun 17, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Clever send-up of Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames books. I never read them but the Maney books are great fun.
Cindy Breeding
Feb 08, 2008 Cindy Breeding rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves parody & cheesy seduction scenes
Recommended to Cindy by: The Advocate
Mabel Maney is a hoot!
Not only are her characters wonderful hybrids of the girl detective genre and oh-so-gay pulp novels, but her mysteries are a scream!
Melody
Jan 01, 2008 Melody rated it liked it
Hilarious send-up of Cherry Ames, Nancy Drew and every lesbian Harlequin-type romance all rolled into one delightfully twisted package. I laughed all the way through it.
Grace
Dec 28, 2009 Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-glbt, fiction
The style was so delightfully familiar from all my childhood Nancy Drew reading but with added super gayness--it was a great quick read to distract me from the stress of finishing college.
Bonnie
Dec 05, 2008 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I read this years ago and found it to be much in the era of the original Nancy Drew's. It's very tongue-in-cheek.
Louis
Apr 06, 2011 Louis rated it really liked it
I don't get it. Even AFTER she cuts all her hair off she's still constantly 'running her fingers through her unruly curls'
Alli
Jul 22, 2016 Alli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, read-2016
Parody of Nancy Drew + Cherry Aimes....plus lesbian pulp fiction, and oh boy was it a hilarious delight.
Julie
Feb 23, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Well-written crime spoof although the joke wears thin by the end.
Meghan
Jan 05, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
A great fun quick read.
Vi
Dec 27, 2008 Vi rated it it was amazing
Fun fun fun! If you ever read serial fiction as a kid, you'll enjoy the Mabel Maney books.
Debby
Mar 04, 2010 Debby rated it it was amazing
this is a really funny take-off of the Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames books!
Erin
Jun 30, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Absurd, ever-so-proper and yet ridiculous fun!
Red
Nov 22, 2010 Red rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, funny
fun, silly, sexy, exciting, and utterly immersible. I love the whole series!
Kristen
Aug 20, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bored gay people
Shelves: lesbianmysteries
Another fun parody from Mabel Manly...one of the better ones. She is camp-o-liscious.
Nov 26, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
These Mabel Maney books just get better and better.
Joan
Oct 22, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it
Adorable!
  • Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary (Career-Girl, #1)
  • The Blue Place (Aud Torvingen, #1)
  • Speaking Sex to Power: The Politics of Queer Sex
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • The Old Deep and Dark (Jane Lawless, #22)
  • Odd Girl Out
  • The Indelible Alison Bechdel: Confessions, Comix, and Miscellaneous Dykes to Watch Out For
  • Say Please
  • Lesbian Cowboys: Erotic Adventures
  • Patience & Sarah
  • The World Unseen
  • Women's Barracks
  • Seven Moves
  • Strange Sisters: The Art of Lesbian Pulp Fiction 1949-1969
  • Susie Sexpert's Lesbian Sex World
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • The Drag King Book
Mabel Maney is an artist and author from San Francisco, California known for her lesbian pulp fiction. She is the author of the Nancy Clue series, a lesbian parody of the Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, and Hardy Boys series. More recently, she is the author of the "Jane Bond" novels, a series of parodies of James Bond. Mabel's short fiction can also be found the humor anthology "May Contain Nuts".

Maney
More about Mabel Maney...

Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless (2 books)
  • The Case of the Good-for-Nothing Girlfriend (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #2)