Start by marking “Boychiks in the Hood: Travels in the Hasidic Underground” as Want to Read:
Boychiks in the Hood: Travels in the Hasidic Underground

Boychiks in the Hood: Travels in the Hasidic Underground

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Boychiks in the Hood is your passport to the Hasidic "underworld" -- a destination far different from popular expectations. Join Robert Eisenberg as he hangs out with an ex-Deadhead in Antwerp, makes a pilgrimage to the grave of the revered Rebbie Nachman in the Ukraine, munches mini-bagels with Rollerblading kosher butchers in Minnesota, discovers the last remaining relig ...more
Published September 13th 1996 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Boychiks in the Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boychiks in the Hood

The Chosen by Chaim PotokMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokSotah by Naomi RagenUnorthodox by Deborah FeldmanBoychiks in the Hood by Robert Eisenberg
Hasidism & Orthodox Judaism
5th out of 81 books — 10 voters
Maus, I by Art SpiegelmanMaus, II by Art SpiegelmanThe Chosen by Chaim PotokMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best Jewish Books
87th out of 105 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Chrisula
Overall it was a good read and a very interesting look at the different Hasidic subcultures. I learned quite a bit from this book! The author takes a mostly non-judgmental look at Hasidim across the U.S. and in Europe and Israel. By the end you understand the commitment and dedication of Hasidim worldwide, but I also came away with feeling as though Hasidim is too rigid and understand why Conservatism and Reform Jewry emerged. What was also very blatant to me was the focus on men even though the ...more
Sean
I picked this up for about $5 bucks at Bookman's to satisfy my inner jew. I just finished it about an hour ago, and I must say, it's quite good. I'd never seen or heard of it before so it was a lovely revelation.

Eisenberg, is what one might call a Reform Jew. His book, a sort of sociological travelog, looks into a branch of his family that may have been Satmars - one of the many types of Hasidim. He visits all kinds of Hasidim from Williamsburg and Boro Park in Brooklyn NY, St Paul Minnesota, L.
Ellen
I liked this book, which introduces readers to various Hasidic cultures around the world. True to the blurb on the back cover, the book is definately respectful, even though the Yiddish-speaking, non-observant Jewish author does not join the fold by the end of his travels among the Hasadim. He does, however, conclude--a bit sadly--that in the not-too-distant future, the Orthodox will probably be the only Jews left in America, an opinion I happen to agree with. The book is well written, even if i ...more
Aimee
Robert Eisenberg, a descendant of Holocaust survivors, explored the different sects of Hasidim (conservative Jews who follow the teachings of Israel Ba’al Shem Tov) in different parts of the US and the World after learning that his distant forebears were Satmars. Eisenberg, who describes himself and his immediate family as secular, is intrigued by this fact and sets out to learn more about the Hasidim’s beliefs, values, and ways of life. Although Eisenberg is careful to avoid being judgmental, o ...more
Levi
Interesting. Every time I started thinking about what it would be like to become ba'al teshuvah, though, I had to remind myself that the only reason they were willing to talk to Robert Eisenberg was because he's a man. They wouldn't give me the time of day even if I spoke Yiddish.

It was encouraging to read about all these kids growing up speaking Yiddish, when I was always taught that it was a dying language.

It gives one a sense of what it's like to be a liberal Christian who has to deal with be
Amy
This book looked incredibly intriguing when I saw it on the shelf of the South American Explorers Cusco Clubhouse book exchange. It is Robert Eisenberg´s attempt to expose Jewish Hasidic life to the rest of the world. Aparantly, at that time in 1994, there wasn´t too much written about Hasidism. I don´t think there is too much more but I have definitely seen something on the Discovery channel about Hasidic Jews. I also grew up near many in a Chicago Suburb close to Roger´s Park.

Anyway, this boo
holly
This book is for the uninitiated, those unfamiliar with Hasidic Jewish practices, customs, and beliefs. This would be a good introductory book for someone, particularly as it doesn't spend much time in any one sect or in any one geographic location for very long. The author jetsets all over the Jewish world, and yet spends very little time in Boro Park or Crown Heights, seeking out Hasidim, and spending perfunctory afternoons with them and having superficial interactions with a wacky cast of ecc ...more
Debra Askanase
If I had read this book before moving to Israel, I think I would have found it utterly fascinating. However, since living in Israel (and actually knowing Litvak, Chabad, and Bretslav Hasids), the fascination with "the unknown" is less.

The author grew up in America, speaking Yiddish at home, but not very religious. This language gives him a "pass" into the Hasidic world, which he takes to uncover their lives in Iowa, Israel, New York, New Jersey, St. Paul, and other towns. What was interesting t
Ginger
I like learning about other cultures, so I thought I'd really like this book. However, I found it incredibly boring and occasionally gross (I now know more than I need to about what makes a cow kosher). This is basically what I got out of this book: Saying someone is Jewish is almost as vague as saying someone is Christian. And saying someone is a Hasidic Jew is as vague as saying someone is Baptist--there are lots of different Baptist congregations with differing beliefs and cultures and there ...more
Sam
2 and a 1/2 stars. Interesting and informative read. Published in 1996 it is a bit dated and there were some cultural references that I missed. I think this was an excellent idea for a book. I'm not sure if I would be a bit lost though if I didn't have some knowledge of the background of the various Hasidim. The history was very interesting though and I think this book was written at a very interesting time for the movements. I do think that this book needs an update though. There's probably so ...more
Patty
I have to say that I was not sure about this author at first. I wasn't sure he was telling the truth about himself. He said, in about chapter 2, that he was from Nebraska. With my typical Eastern bias, I had to sit there and remind myself that there could be Jews in Nebraska. That was my prejudice not his veracity.

This was a fascinating book. When I was in Israel, the Hasidims were the most noticeable. And their presence in Israel causes some issues for less observant Jews. I am very glad I read
A fascinating read, but the book is sadly marred by the author's obnoxious penchant for metaphors and pop culture references. He has a difficult time describing anybody or anything without a metaphor; it's incessant. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the information provided about Hasidim all over the world. The author has clearly done his research and has a way of getting his subjects to open up to him. Well done in that regard.
Stephy
Mar 16, 2008 Stephy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wandering Jews
Recommended to Stephy by: My Librarian
I enjoyed the heck outta this book twice, and will read it again, once I have lost the feel of it. There are some noble truths here about losing one's heritage and seeking it out again.
There is a lot more out there to learn about Hassidim than I ever imagined, and many ways and time to come of age. the more I learn about other cultures, the more we all seem the same.
Alisha
While I was disappointed to find that the book was not actually about Jewish hoodlums, it was still very enjoyable to read.It was also very informative and introduced communities around the world, many of which tend to be insular. In this way, the author gave a view of their lives that we would otherwise not be privy to.
Dana
An engaging and often amusing look at Hasidic communities around the world. A lot of his metaphors and cultural references are so dated that I have no idea what they mean. But it offers insight into the many different branches of Hasidism, and it's full of peculiar facts and entertaining anecdotes.
Carla
This book was a little disappointing. The book was very confusing, particularly for someone who's not familiar with Hadisim. It took me a long time to get through because of all the terminology...definately not for a person just looking to learn a little about a foreign culture.
Fred Gorrell
A young man who learned some Yiddish from his grandmother when she came to live with his family, sets off to explore a variety of Hasidic communities. This is both an interesting cultural exploration and a nice primer on some of the beliefs held in these communities.
Inês Cindra
Robert Eisenberg really opened the door to the Chassidic movement. Thanks! I loved it.
Kate
Stumbled upon this book at the library while looking for another one. It was interesting, but I felt like everything was a little glimpse with no real meat. I guess it's just not really what I was looking for or expecting - so 2 stars.
Deb
Great read. Incredible amount of information on the Jewish sect, that I was completely clueless.
Many times, throughout the book, I was laughing at comparisons used & the sense of humor that was used in this writing.
Lauren
May 25, 2009 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lauren by: Matthew Strenger
Shelves: religion
Wow. A book that is actually informative about Hassidim without being either insulting or apologetic. Sweet! My only complaint is that the system he used for transliterating Yiddish could be a little bit clearer.
Marshaferz
A fascinating look at various Hassidic communities. It's rare to find an author that doesn't just lump them all together as a single-minded group of crazies. This was both enjoyable to read and informative.
Ellyn
Interesting look at Hassidic sects and communities. With my families geographical history of Williamsburg and Boro Park, it's always fascinating to get a deeper look underneath the black hats.
Joshua Friedman
A really fascinating look at the many faces of Hasidic Judaism in the US and abroad. There is plenty of religion here but I found the cultural insights to be even more interesting.
Leila Cohan-Miccio
Just one of THREE books about Hasidic Jews I currently have out/on hold from the library. I liked this, though I found the parts about the US much more interesting than the rest.
Marsmannix
If you are curious about the lives of Hasidic Jews, this is a good book outlining the present state of Hasidim in areas OTHER than Crown Heights and the diamond industry.
Katherine
Excellent, engaging, and offers a new perspective about Hasidim, based mainly around location and geography, not necessarily around sect and custom.
Chris
This book was entertaining while staying surprisingly reverent. Great slice of life look at Hasidic communities across the world.
Stephy
Found the information interesting but didn't feel that the book flowed well. Seemed a bit hard to follow.
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • Unchosen: The Hidden Lives of Hasidic Rebels
  • The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch
  • The Jew in the Lotus
  • Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs & Rituals
  • Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History
  • God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • When They Come for Us, We'll Be Gone: The Epic Struggle to Save Soviet Jewry
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
Boychiks in the Hood Sams Teach Yourself Windows Workflow Foundation (Wf) in 24 Hours Sams Teach Yourself Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) in 24 Hours Early Adopter Hailstorm Radiology of the Heart: Cardiac Imaging in Infants, Children, and Adults