Start by marking “The Golden Egg Book” as Want to Read:
The Golden Egg Book

The Golden Egg Book

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  792 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Once there was a little bunny. He was all alone. One day he found an egg. He could hear something moving inside the egg. What was it?

So begins the Golden Easter classic about a bunny—and a little duck that is about to hatch!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Egg Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Egg Book

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
20th out of 125 books — 88 voters
The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by DuBose HeywardThe Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise BrownThe Easter Egg by Jan BrettThe Golden Egg Book by Margaret Wise BrownThe Egg Tree by Katherine Milhous
Easter Books
4th out of 175 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I don't think this is one of the more widely known books of Brown's but it was the first book I remember in my life, period. The book was physically huge, and although I'm sure my perspective is way off, I know that there is a size much larger than this typical Golden book. Ours was falling apart from having been read so much, held together with yellowing tape.

But it was my favorite book, and I have very fond memories of it. It's a sweet story about a bunny that finds an egg and is curious abou
Robin
Sep 28, 2007 Robin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites, childrens
This book, especially its pictures, must be indelibly imprinted upon my unconscious from having had it read to me since infancy. When I saw it again recently, for the first time in X years, my mind regressed into a three-year old's, and I wanted only to sit quietly and stare at the cute lovable sincere innocent playful images for hours. Sober.
Kelsey Wagner
Nov 18, 2012 Kelsey Wagner rated it really liked it
Illustrated by Leonard Weisgard, this is a charming story that is told about a little bunny who finds an egg and a friend when lonely. He hears something inside of the egg and tries to guess what it is. He tries to get what is inside to come out, but cannot. Finally, he gets tired and falls asleep. With a few pecks and a crack, a little yellow duck comes out. The duck tries to wake the bunny up and once he does, they become friends. This book could be used in a classroom to teach about friendshi ...more
Rebecca Boehringer
Nov 06, 2014 Rebecca Boehringer rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book when I was a little girl. I remember the illustrations and how they made me smile. I am looking forward to sharing this book with my grandchildren.
Jill
Apr 09, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Now this is adorable. Written by the author of Goodnight, Moon this is a completely charming tale of a bunny discovering an egg and his wonder about what it contains.

I started reading this to one child but soon all three were paying rapt attention. The illustrations are so like my favorite old Golden Book illustrations that I was quickly won over.

Why isn't this more well-known? Maybe it is and I'm just late to the party. If you haven't read this and you enjoyed Golden books when you were a child
Vivian
Aug 20, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An egg could be a sort of a box. Since the spring Easter holiday would be the weekend following the story time on "boxes" this story was included.

I happen to have a tiny plush bunny exactly the size of the bunny illustrations in this book. I have a plastic egg the size of the egg in this book. I have a plush duck that fits in the egg and is the same size and coloring as the duck in the illustrations. While reading the story I held the book in one hand and held the bunny, egg, or duck over the il
Kathryn
Jun 28, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Of course I read this to my daughter when she was little. I'd forgotten. Since reading Goodnight June by Sarah Jio it's made me want to reread anything and everything by Margaret Wise Brown.
Wendy Unsworth
My children loved this book. The illustrations are wonderful, beautifully proportioned and colourful. But the story always bothered me a little and on re-reading it to my grandchildren I find I feel just the same. Though young children have few reservations about being naughty themselves they do maintain a strong sense of right and wrong and the duck pushing the bunny with his foot, jumping on him, throwing a little rock at him and rolling him down a hill provoked a barrage of questions from my ...more
Russell
Jul 05, 2015 Russell rated it liked it
Bunny fails at B&E, becomes friends with his intended victim anyway. Friendships have been based upon worse. Instead of malicious behavior against a defenseless egg, the rabbit should have gone to sleep in an oddly colored room with bizarre objects like a bowl of gruel.
Mae
May 06, 2015 Mae rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite quirky read-alouds of all time, mostly because of the line "What could this little fur thing be?". Has great appeal for kids and grown-ups alike because of the pure ridiculousness. Definitely tracking down a copy for my personal collection.
Bree
Mar 24, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
repetitious in a non-annoying way
beautiful art by Weisgard
usually shelved at the library as an Easter book -- it's not!
has a bunny and a duck
(I haven't read this to a preschooler so I give it 4, but I imagine my kids would have given it a 5)
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
The illustrations by Leonard Weisgard are spectacular and accompany a humorous story about how a bunny treats an egg and then how the hatchling treats the bunny when he is asleep. A great book for spring!
Christina
Apr 05, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
When I read this book earlier today, I immediately remembered it from my childhood. The story and pictures are simple, precious, and timeless. Little Golden Books will always have a place in my heart.
Cindy
Jan 06, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book are so beautiful. The thing that bothered me was the fact that the duck pushed the bunny down the hill, that is a no no for me. Anyway, overall it's still a nice story
Emma
Apr 21, 2015 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: children-2015
A curious bunny finds an egg and wonders what is in it.

The Golden Egg Book was really cute but why is that the title? The egg wasn't gold. So confused. I was also annoyed to have to stop to tell my son every other sentence, "no, kicking isn't nice" and, "no, we shouldn't throw rocks."
Alex
Nov 28, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
The Golden Egg Book is a charming story about a little bunny who finds an egg and a friend when he is lonely. He hears something inside egg and tries to guess what it is. He tries to get what’s inside to come out but can’t. Finally he gets tired and falls asleep. Then with a few pecks and a crack, a little yellow duck comes out. The duck tries to wake the bunny up and once he does they become friends and the bunny is no longer lonely.

This book could be used in class to teach about friendship or
Marya
May 18, 2015 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is only an Easter book insofar as it mentions a bunny and his little yellow feathered friend. Warning: there's a significant amount of egg abuse.
Emerson
Apr 21, 2013 Emerson rated it it was amazing
Somehow we missed reviewing this gem last Easter. I believe it was an Easter gift at least one Easter ago. He loves this book. It is a unique large edition from the Little Golden Books. This larger size really helps as the binding is much better than the other little goldens and the title of the book is visible on the binding (the regular sized goldens do not have the title which is awkward on the bookshelf).

So the Golden Egg is encountered by a little rabbit. The rabbit has not idea what it is
Kati
Nov 23, 2015 Kati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and drooled over the illustrations so many times as a child that the back cover is missing from my copy. Still love it!
Laura Scheller
Apr 25, 2015 Laura Scheller rated it it was amazing
Date: 3/19

Author: Margaret Wise Brown; Illustrated by Leonard Weisguard

Title: The Golden Egg Book

Plot: A bunny comes upon a egg and tries to figure out what is in it.

Setting: the forest

Characters: Bunny and Duck

Point of View:First person

Theme: Changes within ourselves

Style: Picture book

Copyright: 1947

Your Reaction: Beautiful illustrations, with a simple story that is great for teaching point of view.

Picture book
Amy
Sep 23, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Clever and adorable is this happy story. I love the giggles that came when I read this to my daughter. The pictures are beautiful too.
Karen
Dec 02, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful book that when my son picked it out of the library at the end of November I didn't complain.
Jenna
Sep 04, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing
A small, brown bunny comes across an unidentified egg in the woods. He wonders what could be inside the egg: a little boy, an elephant, another bunny? He can hear sounds coming from the egg and he investigates. The bunny jumps on the egg and rolls it down the hill, but still the egg doesn't hatch. Finally the bunny goes to sleep and when he wakes up he has an unexpected friend...

Children will laugh when the bunny tries to guess what's inside the mystery egg. The Golden Egg Book shows us that cur
Dana Pressnell
Mar 25, 2014 Dana Pressnell rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Old story and illustrations. What is inside the egg? Curious Bunny now has a new friend.
Sandra Heinzman
Mar 18, 2014 Sandra Heinzman rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time golden oldies kids book!
Shiloah
Another childhood favorite
Ariel Cummins
Jan 02, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super-classic story about a bunny who finds an egg. Despite his best efforts, he can't break the egg to find out what's in it. So, he does what any of us would do - he takes a nap! The little duck who hatches out discovers a little rabbit. But despite his best efforts, he cannot wake him up! Until he does, and they are friends forever.

Classic children's illustrations accompany the text in this large format book.

A very cute story, with very old-fashioned illustrations, will appeal to many. Good
Shelly Brawn
Read it again in the spring
Heather
Mar 25, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the sweetest book ever. The illustrations of the bunny trying to get some reaction out of the egg crack me up. This book also makes me insanely sleepy. The little warm snuggly bunny, yawning, and curling up in the sun -- "he fell asleep because he was so sleepy." And then Paul wants to hear it over and over and over again. And my voice gets sleepier and sleepier. And somewhere in the back of my head, I can almost hear my mother's voice reading this book. And it's also getting sleepier a ...more
Stephanie
May 13, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I bought this book, The Golden Egg Book, by Margaret Wise Brown, for my older daughter after having my friend and fellow reader recommend it -- a felicitous purchase. I had no idea what the book was about, but thought the cover looked very Easter-ish. It is a delightful story of a bunny and a new-hatched duck that I hope my older daughter will someday view as a metaphor for the birth of her new baby sister; it is my fervent desire that my two girls will have a deep, abiding, and loving friendshi ...more
What's The Name o...: Children's book about bunny [s] 6 50 Apr 05, 2013 07:29AM
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • My First Counting Book
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • Feathers for Lunch
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit (a Little Golden Book)
  • Ollie
  • Welcome with Love
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Mouse's First Spring
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...