Start by marking “Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 1 (Boys Over Flowers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 1 (Boys Over Flowers, #1)

Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 1 (Boys Over Flowers #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  14,350 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
When her only friend, Makiko, accidentally offends F4 leader Tsukasa, Tsukushi boldly defends her. Enraged, Tsukasa puts the dreaded red tag in Tsukushi's locker — a sign that she is now a target for the abuse of the F4 gang and the entire school. But when Tsukushi fights the gang with their own weapon, Tsukasa finds himself falling for her!
Published August 6th 2003 by VIZ Media (first published October 23rd 1992)

Aya Hamza
Feb 10, 2016 Aya Hamza rated it it was amazing
Original title: 花より男子 (Hana yori dango).
Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Drama, Romance, School Life.
Volumes: 37.
Chapters: 244.
Status: completed.

*Read all chapters of this manga.

After a re-read for the whole manga, I can definitely say that this is one of my all time favorite manga! I even enjoyed reading it more than reading it for the first time, and I loved reading about this characters again and understand their insides and feelings a lot more.

Synopsis:
This manga is about "Makino Tsukushi" (Tsukushi
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I have just realized that while I have huge problems with YA books and their cliches, I don't mind YA manga. It's only that I don't mind them, I actually enjoy them. It must be because of the art.

This is actually a reread. The first time I started reading Hana Yori Dango was in college, and I don't remember finishing it. So I'll just read it all over again until the end.

If you liked Watt's Paper Princess, there's a strong chance you'll like this, too. It's about a poor girl on a scholarship to a
Rosa
So I find that I am that one person with sense in about fifty who hated this book with a passion (ok I may be exaggerating a little). Let's find out why.

1)The female lead is annoying, whiny, and increadibly stupid, which is perhaps the reason why nothing she does is right and she's bullied so much.

2)The female lead is obsessed with a guy who doesn't like her back (and isn't even worth it) and for most of the story he is pretty is incredibly cold to her. And this guy isn't even the one who ends
Dawn
Oct 14, 2008 Dawn rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga-girls
*Spoiler alert* There were many things that I didn't like about this book. The main character decides to stand up to the "F4," a clique of popular boys. She is almost gang-raped by 3 of the 4 boys, until 1 of them steps in to save her. She then develops a crush on this boy, who then informs her that if she "was going to be such a pest about it" he "wouldn't have intervened." Nice! After he tells her this, she *still* likes him.

The author also interjects a lot into the story, and her interruption
Pam Jaramillo
Apr 17, 2017 Pam Jaramillo rated it liked it
Ya me sé esta historia de memoria, pero igual me sigue gustando. Los dibujos son feisimos pero espero que mejore a medida que vaya pasando los volúmenes.
Lesley
Oct 14, 2009 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Wow, I just couldn't put this down. It took me several days to read all 241 chapters, but I can say now I definitely know why this is the best selling shojo manga in Japan of ALL TIME. It's fabulous. The melodrama! The relationships! The interesting and different characters! Domyoji's hilarious Marie Antoinette curls that he can't straighten! You can really see how this manga influenced everything that came after. I'm really shocked it's not as popular here. Even though it's going to cost me a f ...more
Zala
Mar 17, 2016 Zala rated it it was ok
Shelves: sampled
Note: I've read the first two Volumes of this manga series.

Hana Yori Dango * was one of the first kdramas I watched, so it has quite a special place in—who am I kidding, while I did like it, I stopped watching somewhere in the middle. Because when a random fortune teller tells the main character that one of the two love interests is her "soul mate" but she will end up with the other, it's usually a sign that the drama is becoming way too heavy (Heavy Drama, it's a genre alright).

Nonetheless, b
Yue
Matsumoto Jun, look what you have done to me!

I watched the first episode of the dorama months ago, when I was not familiar with Arashi (ergo, MatsuJun) I could not finish it. I hate it. Passionately. I swore I would never read the manga. Now, months later, here I am, doing the opposite. Why? Because I like MatsuJun. And he is pretty much known as "Doumyouji".

So OK, I do not completely hate it. But only because of the "bully" issue. Makino gets bullied over and over, but she is a fighter. In fact
Tsukushi
Jun 16, 2013 Tsukushi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Okay, Let me get something straight.

First of all, I got addicted to anime and manga and all that big-eyed, purple-headed stuff when I was in seventh grade. So basically, I wasn't that level-headed as I am now. I mean, I was tweeeeelve when I first read this series. So of course I fell in love with Tsukushi and Domyouji's epic love story (as epic as it can ever be for a twelve-year old). Give me a break. Every twelve-year olds practically love cheesy funny and romantic stuff, right? Especially i
Guguk
Nov 06, 2015 Guguk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: udah-kenyang
Cuma baca sampai vol.3 ""( _ _)

Aku suka karakter cewek yang kuat, tapi sayangnya tokoh ceweknya di sini bukan "kuat" tapi sekedar "brutal".
Sementara itu, dengan lemahnya dia ikut aja keseret arus anak-2 orang kaya itu, atau mungkin juga keseret "ketampanan" cowok yang dia suka?

Dan akibat keseret itu, dia menempatkan diri pada posisi yang mungkin maksud komiknya sih lucu-lucuan (aku gak ngerasa itu lucu >,<) tapi jika terjadi beneran itu 'horor-di-atas-segala-horor'~

Gak ada yang lebih menge
Lauren
Apr 24, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
There was something in the way all of the characters came together that I found irresistibly compelling about this series. It did remind me a lot of Ouran while I was reading it and maybe that is why I liked it so much. Tsukushi is an interesting protagonist, I loved when she started taking action and sticking up for herself.

While I wasn’t overly fond of the artwork style I was able to get past it because I my love for the storyline. This is an honest story with twists and turns, ups and downs,
Anusha Narasimhan
Apr 16, 2016 Anusha Narasimhan rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I finally get why I like shonen more than shoujo. Nope, it's not because I'm not girly. It's because of all the cliché in shoujo. Let me point out some of them in Boys Over Flowers:

1. Female MC is poor, hardworking, headstrong, selfless and sometimes silly.

2. Male MC is rich, despicable and full of himself. He is good at sports and can play a musical instrument.

3. Female MC’s family is in a financial crisis. She works part-time and strives to take care of her younger sibling.

4. Serious issues li
Bodea
Feb 15, 2014 Bodea marked it as manga-series-in-progress
Currently reading volume 24...and then it kind of went sideways. Meh. Why does every guy have to fall for her? The side stories are getting repetitive and annoying. Still loving Tsukasa (when he's not hitting girls), but Makino is pretty annoying at times. At least they seem to be on the same page now, sort of. Hoping for forward movement in their relationship without all the extra.

1/22/5 - Starting volume 15. Please, get rid of obtuse Makino. I love Tsukasa, but he needs to control his tongue
Aziza
Sep 15, 2010 Aziza rated it it was amazing
Boys over Flowers is a Manga and I read the book up to 33 and still waiting for book# 34. It is a Japanese story about a rich boy in Japan and a very poor girl. At first they hate each other so much, but later in the middle start liking each other. That the point the conflicts starts, the boys mother get to know and make the girls and her family suffer so much. The both lover each love each other no matter what. Also the boy has a team call F4 and everyone in Japan is crazy for them and all for ...more
Emma
Endearing, slap-sticky, and a teeny bit tacky.
Kiwi
Wow...where do I even begin? It has been a VERY long time since I have read a series no repulsive and disturbing as this one. This is supposedly a shojo series, but I fail to find ANY romance here. The main female protagonist, Tsukushi, while strong willed and determined, is constantly (at least in the first few volumes) cruelly bullied and abused by students of the high school and the F4 boys. The characters are all card board cutouts with little development, depth or personality. The story als ...more
Ardilla Azul
Como todos los mangas, solo pongo un tomo pero ya lo acabé.

Hace pfft, mucho tiempo, una ex me contó que el único manga que había leído en su vida era Hana Yori Dango. Que le encantaba el anime y era súper bonito y romántico y cosas así. Ella y yo terminamos, luego pasó el tiempo y luego encontré el dorama y me activó el recuerdo de la historia que me había platicado esa chica.

Este es un shoujo clásico de los noventas. To-tal-men-te. Se nota por el tipo de dibujo, por las vestimentas de los pers
Elfdart
Jul 13, 2010 Elfdart rated it it was amazing
this was the story that got me into manga. some arbitrary stroke of luck had me stumble across the j-drama when it was coming out and i watched the whole thing (the jdrama is much better than the older version so don’t worry if you watched that and didn’t like it). so after the first season i was kind of impatient and looked it up and found the anime, which is monstrously long, but worth it i guess, and i’ve been watching anime on tv since i was a kid so it was an easy transition, then i found o ...more
Phoebe Andamo
Jan 05, 2012 Phoebe Andamo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, strong-female
"Tsukushi" means weed. When it gets stepped on or kicked, it stills springs back. It is very strong. That's the personality of Tsukushi Makino, a middle class student in an expensive private school Eitoku Academy. She's unlike those pampered plants that can only survive in green houses, like the Flowery Foursome (F4). F4 are the richest and most powerful guys in the academy. No one messes with them--until they met Tsukushi.

I like how the mangaka became playful with layouts and scenes. The art st
Ana Luisa
Jul 03, 2015 Ana Luisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Busqué este manga al saber que una de mis series favoritas que recién acabo de terminar (Boys Over Flowers) era una adaptación. Me encuentro que es un manga de los 90' y rápidamente comencé a leerlo.

No hay decepción, hay algunas partes que fueron modificadas en la serie pero la esencia es la misma. Lo disfruté y lo sentí muy corto. Definitivamente son de esas historias románticas tan absurdas que te encantan.

También venía al final una pequeña historia (no sé si tenga continuación) y, debo de adm
Brittini
May 19, 2012 Brittini rated it it was amazing
THIS is my favorite manga of all time! Took me forever to read since there were so many books, but it is so worth it. Great manga, awesome characters, and I love watching the live action dramas. There are many versions. I loved the Korean version. And I am almost done with the Taiwanese version, which stayed closest to the manga story line, which I admire. I will soon start watching the Japanese version soon. Seriously, give the manga a chance. If you love shoujo, this is definitely for you!
Gulen
Nov 14, 2012 Gulen rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
Gelmiş geçmiş en iyi shoujo mangalardan biri olarak kabul edilen Hana Yori Dango, 90larda başlamış; bitene kadar geçen sürede karakter çizimleri bile değişmiştir (manga çizimlerindeki değişen trendler uyarınca). Fakir kız zengin erkek aşkının olabilecek en ağdalı versiyonudur (o kadar ki illallah dedirtir insana)ama yine de türünün en iyi örneklerinden.
Amy M.
Apr 23, 2009 Amy M. rated it it was ok
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Sep 30, 2011 CJ - It's only a Paper Moon rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, shojo
Attempted rape, abuse and social ostracization, all popular themes within manga and sometimes it can work. If the characters, writing and art are strong enough.

This doesn't have any of those components.

Not my cup of tea.
Nisha
Aug 09, 2009 Nisha rated it did not like it
Shelves: shoujo-manga
Problems:
1) ugly art
2) dumb characters
3) too much melodrama
4) too long (as in the series)

Its not really a happy story. Domyouji is not a great guy. Rui is a little too impassive. If you want a better version, watch the drama (the japanese live action one)
Mizuki
Jan 29, 2016 Mizuki rated it really liked it
I know, this is a girl manga series filled with eye-rolling cliches and it has enough cheesiness to smuggle you to death, but the many volumes I had once read are still highly entertaining.
Ana Suarez
Oct 28, 2012 Ana Suarez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enjoyed
Quite unexpected trip, thought it was going to be a silly ride, instead it surprise me with the coming of age set up in a realistic way. Characters that are obssesive, shy, naive like any of us.
Elaine
May 01, 2016 Elaine rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-manga
Ugh the art in this is so 1990's that I couldn't get past it. Won't be reading the rest of the series.
Danielle
Jan 06, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Really good in spite of the distractingly bad art.
Helen
Feb 03, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
This book is the ultimate shoujo manga. It's the classic setup of a classic korean drama with all the right twist and turns. Does it stretch a bit long? Definitely. I enjoyed every second of it.
Shoujo Manga Book...: Boys Over Flowers Discussion 9 23 Apr 03, 2015 05:03AM
  • Peach Girl, Vol. 1 (Peach Girl, #1)
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 1 (Marmalade Boy, #1)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 2 (Hana-Kimi, #2)
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 (Nodame Cantabile, #1)
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1
  • Mars, Volume 03
  • W Juliet, Vol. 1
  • Girl Got Game, Vol. 1 (Girl Got Game, #1)
  • Imadoki! Nowadays, Vol. 1 (Imadoki! Nowadays, #1)
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
  • Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1
  • Itazura Na Kiss, Volume 1 (Itazura Na Kiss, #1)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 2 (Paradise Kiss, #2)
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
Yōko Kamio (神尾葉子) is a popular Japanese manga artist and writer. She is most famous for Boys Over Flowers (花より男子, Hana Yori Dango?), for which she received the Shogakukan Manga Award in 1996. Her work has been translated and distributed in Asia, Europe, and North America.

Yōko Kamio readily admits that she had no intention of becoming a professional manga artist when she was young. Kamio originally
More about Yoko Kamio...

Boys Over Flowers (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 2 (Boys Over Flowers, #2)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 3 (Boys Over Flowers, #3)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 4 (Boys Over Flowers, #4)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 5 (Boys Over Flowers, #5)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 6 (Boys Over Flowers, #6)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 7 (Boys Over Flowers, #7)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 8 (Boys Over Flowers, #8)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 9 (Boys Over Flowers, #9)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 10 (Boys Over Flowers, #10)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 11 (Boys Over Flowers, #11)

“Ichigo Ichie
--Nishikado Soujiroh”
15 likes
“No Matter how much i'm buried in waves of people,I will always be able to find him ..
As though a magnet is drawing me in.”
9 likes